Thread: Riding with your dog?

Thanks

Riding with your dog?

OK, so I have a new pooch. Anyone have experience in having their dog run single track with them when they ride? I have seen in videos many times.... looking for advice on getting her started and any dos/donts

Thanks
    DCD

Thanks
    PS: She is an Australian shepherd so she should have the legs and stamina when she grows up
    PPS: I will have plenty of food and water for her and travel dishes for her to use
    Last edited by dirtdog36; 06-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    The biggest issue is being well trained before you start working with the bike. Being an Aussie shepherd, she has the breeding to be obedient enough for it to work. She needs to understand voice commands AND hand signals for heel, sit, lie down, stay, come and most often overlooked whoa. You need to be able to make your dog stop before she gets in the way of someone else, or hold position, so whoa is important. It's also helpful for dogs to understand Go Right or Go Left (Gee an Haw, if you want to do it that way) to direct them off the trail if someone is coming too.

A trail dog can be a great companion, but it takes work, discipline, and trust to make it happen. About 2/3 of the dogs I see on the trail haven't had adequate training to be out running around without a leash on under any circumstances, much less while their owner is on a bike. However, the other third are obviously great, loyal companions to their owners, and I look forward to meeting them on the trails each time I ride somewhere that they are known to frequent.

4. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I took my well behaved dog on a trail hike and he couldn't resist chasing a skunk. He got sprayed and stunk for months. I learned my lesson and kept him on a leash after that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia View Post
    I took my well behaved dog on a trail hike and he couldn't resist chasing a skunk. He got sprayed and stunk for months. I learned my lesson and kept him on a leash after that.
    Wash him with tomato juice.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Gee, Haw. Love it! Not many know the meaning these days.

Gary

Thanks
    Not really an answer to your question, but most city, state and federal parks have leash laws, right?

Mark

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    On public trails it is actually illegal to ride with your dog unleashed. Personally, I have an issue with coming up on someone with an unleashed dog. Usually the owner will say "Oh, he is fine, he won't hurt you." The fact you had to re-assure me might be a sign that you are doing something wrong. You would also be in an untenable legal position if your dog caused someone to crash. I have a pooch who likes to run the trails with me, but I only take him on private trails to do so.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 06-17-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: English is hard

Thanks
    Leash laws are always a consideration. I suppose where I grew up it was much less so, since most all of the places we could ride were also places people could hunt, and hunting dogs don't have to be on leashes.

My level of concern when I see a dog with someone riding is usually indicated by the dog itself. A dog who is following it's owner's bike, not running in front of it, or darting back and forth on and off the trail around it is typically an indicator that I won't have to worry much. Pretty much everyone I know who rides with a dog and does it right yields the trail to everyone, including other cyclists who would technically otherwise have the right of way. When these guys stop, if they stay in the trail, the dog sits down right behind them or beside them, when they leave the trail, the dog sits down on the opposite side of the rider from the trail (in other words, the rider and his bike are between the trail and the dog). These are things the considerate trainer does - teaches the dog that this is simply how it reacts. Behavior deviating from this throws up flags when I see people riding with dogs.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Well - leash laws are not just a consideration..they are the law! Leash laws exist for a reason. Why should I have a moment of uncertainly or fear when I'm following the rules and the other person is not? For me, it is more about the owner than the dog. At Lock 4 some dudes border collie was nipping my foot when I rode up from the trail into the parking lot. The dude didn't even get off his phone he just lamely called for his dog. His dog was actually biting me and he couldn't even end his phone call! I completely let the guy have it - to the shock of my daughter who was with me. I find that when dog owners take their dogs on the trail unleashed and someone says something to them...like me...they are incredulous! How dare I tell them they shouldn't have their dog running amok! You'd think I was telling them not to mud ride!

14. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Your awesome uzzi!!!!!

16. The following user says "Thank You" to wintercreeper for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Well - leash laws are not just a consideration..they are the law! Leash laws exist for a reason. Why should I have a moment of uncertainly or fear when I'm following the rules and the other person is not? For me, it is more about the owner than the dog. At Lock 4 some dudes border collie was nipping my foot when I rode up from the trail into the parking lot. The dude didn't even get off his phone he just lamely called for his dog. His dog was actually biting me and he couldn't even end his phone call! I completely let the guy have it - to the shock of my daughter who was with me. I find that when dog owners take their dogs on the trail unleashed and someone says something to them...like me...they are incredulous! How dare I tell them they shouldn't have their dog running amok! You'd think I was telling them not to mud ride!
    When I said it was a consideration, I meant in terms of where you can do it. I've actually had dogs jump out of the brush at the side of the trail trying to attack me before, hit dogs doing similar things causing me to go OTB - look, a dog that should be on a leash should be on a leash. A dog that doesn't need to be on a leash should be on a leash if there's a law stating that. What I *AM* saying, in spite of all this, is that a properly trained dog is actually a pleasure to see on the trails (where it's permitted).

By the way, one of the dogs that knocked me off a bike once...was being walked by an old man, who I would have left alone if he hadn't started in on me. I advised him there was a leash law, and since he was being so nice about his dog knocking me off my bike, he was about to get fined. He paled, stammered, and told me it was his son's dog that he was keeping for the weekend, and he didn't have a leash for him. I told him there was a Walmart right up the road that sold leashes.

Thanks
    I take my dog out with me occasionally. Never on a high traffic trail or any trail on the weekends. I have a 5 year old Vizsla and they are very "stick with their people" kind of dogs, very active, very smart and the most non threatening dog you can find (So I'm lucky in that regard). I know I can talk my dog up all day and people will still frown upon the idea..... I understand that and I don't try and cause any friction with people so there are only a select few places/times I would take her around here. A trail dog can be tons of fun and great exercise for the dog (if the dog is cut out for it). The only advice I can give you is be responsible and respectful about when and where you go. Middle TN isn't the greatest area for it sometimes. If you have any doubt about the dog.... don't do it.
    Last edited by BrotherLinus; 06-19-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    -Will

19. The following user says "Thank You" to BrotherLinus for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    I like dogs that I am introduced to - those that chase me I hate.. I was brought down by a German Shepard and before I could get up it bit me (and I really tweaked my ankle) that was when I was 19 so over 20 years later I still have that back of the head fear.

That said a well behaved dog does not bother me - if you are out with your dog and it stays with you and is not acting iradic then I am Ok but more often I encounter the dog way before I see the owner, and said dog always wants to check me out at full speed.. I think this is NOT OK for a trail dog.. I have seen some (and one guy out at MB I had seen a few times) whos dog stays right on him and his dog always moves off the trail when I pass - this to me is OK...

Anyway just another thought but Cotharys hit the nail on the head...

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    There is a leash law in the state of TN that requires your dog be under your control at all times. If the dog is running at large and causes an injury, the owner is liable. I'd say if you are on public property, keep the dog on a leash. Even a good, well trained dog can take a notion to take off with the right incentive, would hate for it to cause injury to someone. I've personally seen only one dog that was trained that well. It was an Australian shepherd and that dog followed voice commands like I've never seen and never left the owners side. That was back when I was trail riding on horseback. I've been bitten while riding my bike, and was with a good friend when she was knocked off her bike by a dog and shattered her elbow, so my thoughts have changed on the matter.
    Last edited by nmandrews; 06-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    I have been on trails with people riding with their dogs and for the most part I think it seems pretty cool. Live and let live and all that. One thing to consider especially given how warm it is lately is how hard it can be on your dog. As many of you know I moved here from Austin and there were always stories there about how someone took their dog out riding, didn't watch closely enough, and wound up killing the dog from heat exhaustion. They love you and they will literally run until they drop if you are not careful.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the input.

1. Having lived in Colorado and seeing people take their dogs everywhere, I had no idea how emotionally charged topic this was. (Read several national MTB boards) - you will not see me bring up this topic again (although for the dog friendly on here, any suggestions on a dog friendly bar?)
    2. She is only a few weeks old so we have almost a year before her bones are formed enough to run that hard, so if you see someone with a dog this summer, its NOT me
    3. Yes I am aware of the TN Leash law.
    4. gmb_industries: yes I have heard of that too and would expect her to go only during the cool months of Nov-March. Those stories make me second guess even hiking with her.
    5. At 9 weeks old she definitely prefers the cool air-conditioned house over the yard. She might not be the hiking/riding buddy that I hoped for. She might just be a great inside dog. And that is OK by me.IMG_1188.jpg

26. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Well either way that dog is cute as heck!

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

28. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    dirtdog,

She is cute!

Have fun with your dog.

Looks like ours! She started out like this.....

1403305743604-IMG_3757.jpg

Now she looks like this.... a mutant 65 pound border collie (mix). She is sheared for summer... check out her tail

IMG_20140530_183858_923.jpg

Ours will not mind at all. There is no way I would think of taking her riding.

30. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    "Ours will not mind at all"

Too funny!!! I don't know why.

Gary

32. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys! We love her.

gmb, that bandana is awesome! She looks like she would be a very fun dog!

34. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thread Information