Thread: looking for jumps

Thanks

looking for jumps

hey guys i just moved to fort campbell and looking for some decent dirt jumps to ride in the tn area

Thanks
    I will be headed that way in November. Tell me what you find locally. I have shovels...I plan on digging.

Thanks
    There is very little dirt jump wise in Clarksville. That's subject to change. The North Ford trails have plans for a pump track and a could of jump lines up by the parking lot. If you want to get involved, we are looking for a group of people who *do* jump and dig to help with those projects, as I know the theory behind building the jumps, and can put them together, but testing would likely suffer on all but the smallest of doubles given my equipment at this point. We have a few guys locally who have offered to help, but we haven't got enough going to put anything together yet.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    There are three small ones at the Percy Warner trail, when it's dry enough to ride...

Gary

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Those are small mounds that trick you into thinking they are jumps. Then there are these wooden things that take you nowhere. It's sad that is the best we have!

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm with ya there Uzzi. I would love it if we had some decent jumps around here.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to jrbookingtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Lock 4 has a great series of large jumps right at the beginning you can't miss it its in the first 100 feet of the trailhead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt81 View Post
    Lock 4 has a great series of large jumps right at the beginning you can't miss it its in the first 100 feet of the trailhead.
    Is this something built in the last week?

Gary

12. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I know Lock 4 has that one "jump section" that has been there for years, but unless some stuff has been added, they aren't very fun.

14. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to jrbookingtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Where is the jump section. I know of the one tabletop if you can call it that on BLT 1 first advanced side trail. I've noticed new trail around that area but don't know if that's sanctioned trail or the same as the rock smasher. JK not trying to bring up old subject. I've been noticing a few new trails around the system. Can we get any clarification on new trail.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    If I ever make it out that way I will dig, no worries about that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    I've been noticing a few new trails around the system. Can we get any clarification on new trail.
    The maker of the alternate line at the BLT 1 jump is a mystery. The alternate can be approached by the other run-down entry, which allows for a table jump over the old jump approach. Many just veer left off of the jump approach to drop down and up around the "berm".

Another new line is about 30 yards after the Rock Garden on the left. It was re-opened for the High School Championship race route to go directly into the S-curve rocky run-down (bi-passing the switchback at the end of that lakeside). A fairly decent climb. At the crest, to the right, there is a fairly steep run-down back onto the lakeside.

The last that I know of is at the crest leading to the last lakeside. Over the log, just left of the bench, is a run-down to the lakeside. It bi-passes the typically loose, sandy, left-hand corner leading down to the lakeside (containing the deceased slanted rock).

As far as I'm concerned, they are all legit and I use them regularly. I like a little variety.

There is the start of a trail on BLT 9 off of the wide right-hand turn (just past the BLT 1 jump area) to the right. It was started in hope of developing a feature area dropping into the bowl and reconnecting near the jump area. A plan(s) has been talked about by others (including SORBA) to include and pursue this with SORBA involvement and equipment. It has yet to be flagged, to my knowledge.

Gary

19. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    There are no real jumps on any local trails guys, so lets stop pretending! There are however a few private locations that invites can be arranged. PM me if you are interested! If you are waiting for Sorba to build jumps...well..I'll just let that one simmer.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 07-09-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: jumps need to simmer

Thanks
    Windrock. TTC.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    There are no real jumps on any local trails guys, so lets stop pretending! There are however a few private locations that invites can be arranged. PM me if you are interested! If you are waiting for Sorba to build jumps...well..I'll just let that one simmer.
    Looks to be on a low boil to me. But then what do I know, I'm the guy building trails with drops and gap jumps.

Thanks
    Local. I said local. Hour + away from Nashville not sure fits that. Excited about anyone building drops and gap jumps!

Thanks
    What days to guys go out and work on the trails at North Ford? Been there several times since it opened, trails are groomed really nice, you guys have done a really good job. A pump track and the addition of dirt jumps would be killer.

Thanks
    Sent you a pm Uzzi! I don't think jumps are anything Sorba seems to be too interested in.

Thanks
    I work out there quite a bit, but mostly from about 7 or 8 until 2 or so, then head out. No sense working in the real heat of the day. If you're interested, we're having a work day this Saturday. We'll meet in the parking lot at 8 am.

Thanks

no jumps?

Is it really a lack of jumps or just a lack of jumpers?!!...LOL!

Lock 4:

DSC_2545_1.jpgDSC_2585_1.jpg

Monty Bell:

DSC_2985.jpgDSC_2991_.jpg

Chicasaw:

DSC_3865.jpgDSC_3891_2.jpgDSC_3845.jpg

Urban:

DSC_0238_1.jpgDSC_0258.jpg

You just gotta make the best out of what we do have.

Seriously though, the pic below was taken at some dirt jumps in Clarksville, I haven't been there in a couple of years so I don't know if they still exist but they were real dirt jumps, with some really big ones in there, a couple of six packs, maybe an eight pack, not just the little one hitters on the trails in the nashville area. Send me a PM and I'll give you the location.

Martin step up_0002.jpg
    Last edited by Syndicate; 08-18-2014 at 02:02 AM.

28. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Looks to be on a low boil to me. But then what do I know, I'm the guy building trails with drops and gap jumps.
    You got any pics of these drops and gaps your building?

What kind of heights on the drops? Are they wooden like PWP or natural?

what kind of heights and distances on the gaps?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestTillIRest View Post
    If I ever make it out that way I will dig, no worries about that.
    Where do you ride in WA? I got a homie in Seattle that rides Duthie Hill and Stevens Pass...

Unless you're going to own some land or have access to some private land down here, you'll have to poach to build your jumps and risk trespassing charges, there's no National Forest land around here and there's no park land that will allow dirt jumps (even though there is a CONCRETE skate park where no one wears helmets!...somehow concrete is safer than dirt?!?! go figure..) We're still stuck in the 'somebody will get hurt and sue us' mentality of the 80's. Hell, one of the local racers recently took out a piddly little rock from a trail cause it was 'too dangerous'. If you have some political pull down here, maybe you'll be our hero and get us some access, but this is the south, it's the most conservative place you'll ever be, things move backwards not forward down here. The public leaders down here just now figured out that mountain biking actually exists and generates revenue...

Of course it doesn't help that the mtb'ers here don't even do anything to help themselves, we finally got a good trail with some little rollers and 3' wooden drops built in Nashville last fall and a couple of weeks ago the City Parks Commission had a grand opening shindig for it and hardly anybody even showed up to show the city some appreciation and show that we want more trails. From the sorry turnout the city saw that day, in their eyes we probably don't even have enough MTBers to justify the $200,000 they paid for that trail. If you are a serious mtn biker, I recommend you not move here if you can avoid it at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    You got any pics of these drops and gaps your building?

What kind of heights on the drops? Are they wooden like PWP or natural?

what kind of heights and distances on the gaps?
    All the pictures so far that have any meaning are in the clarksville trail project thread. The gap jump is just now nearing completion, the rain this weekend was critical to the next steps - anyone who has built jumps knows you need water, and we can't drag a hose a half mile into the woods

The main drop line so far the height is about 3-3.5 feet. I haven't actually measured it, but it's big enough only a few guys are riding it. The drop is in a side line off the trail that loops back in. If you make it to North Ford, the place you want to look for on the map is RDX. All jumps and drops (and creek crossings, and pretty much everything else) in North Ford are natural. Could you carry more speed if I'd built some bridges? Yep. Do you need more skill to ride it without them? Yep.

The gap will put you over a good sized (18-20") tree trunk that's growing horizontally along the ground, offset just a bit to push the gap width out to about 5 feet. Height shouldn't be more than 3 feet or so once it's done.

I'm very curious where that jump line in Clarksville was. Shoot me some info on it?

Thanks

looking for jumps

Cotharyus, I'll check out the pics on that other thread, I looked quickly last night but didn't find them. Your stuff sounds fun, I'll try time to check it out, are these features in the parts of trail that are open to the public now or are they still under construction? Thanks

Thanks
    Martin can jump, he just made us all look like tools!

34. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Everything I've talked about so far is open except the gap jump. It was only just rained on for the first time Sunday. Dusty is helping me out with the jump - some of your former BMX guys may know him as the guy who used to maintain the BMX track at Hammy. Short version, I've left him "in charge" of building the gap after I moved all the dirt. I checked it out today and it looks like it settled pretty good. Once it's firmed up enough to work on, we'll carve out what we need shape wise.

Thanks
    Oh man, I've never claimed to be a great jumper. It's been so long since I did any serious jumping I feel like I'm starting over whenever I close up on a jump. Half of my problem is my bikes. I have this thing for XC bikes, and they don't deal well with big oafs like me coming crashing down on them. That's probably why I have a bad reputation for breaking frames.

37. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

You do a pretty good job of that yourself.

39. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    You got me! I'm a tool.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 08-20-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I live in a tool shed.

Thanks
    I should be making the much hated and not anticipated move to the KY/TN area at the end of October. I'm currently working on expanding my quiver of bikes to include a XC bike and dare I say it...a road bike. But, if anyone wants to show me where some good jump/freeride/DH lines are...PM me.

Thanks

Probably won't find this around the Nashville area, but one can dream right?

43. The following user says "Thank You" to NorthwestTillIRest for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, I moved to Nashville from Johnson City and have been trying to make the most of the Percy Warner trails but they are getting abit old for me. I've started building a short DH/freeride trail behind a friends house. Just want something challenging and fast to play on. Here are some pictures.

image.jpgimage-2.jpgimage-3.jpeg

I've basically been digging this myself. It's a private trail and location so if you PM me I can show it to you. I also want to throw my name in the hat to help dig around town. I would LOVE to see some more jump/drop trails.

45. The following user says "Thank You" to mjburnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Looks cool! I have some stuff at my house that you might find interesting as well.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Uzzi; 11-11-2014 at 08:37 AM.

47. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    i would be very interested in meeting up and helping work on jumps, myself and 2 coworkers would be in as well. im trading my much loved dirt jumper bike for a demo 9 this weekend. i cannot wait to learn to jump this thing.

Thanks
    I am always down to dig somewhere. I ended up getting a place in KY. I have been spying some spots in LBL to make some good lines.

Thread Information