Thread: Chattanooga Trails

Thanks

Chattanooga Trails

I'm headed to Chattanooga soon for vacation and will be doing some mountain biking while I'm there. Any suggestions on trails? I've looked several of them up of course, but thought I'd get some input from anyone that may have actually ridden them before. I pretty much have just ridden Percy Warner and am comfortable on all the trails.

Thanks
    Raccoon mountain trail system is a good one to ride / beginner to advanced it was 21 miles, but it has been added to, there is a trail called live wire which was 2 miles down hill which is fast and fun, I have heard that was added to it to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Also Five Points is in that area as well as Stringer Mountain trails. Then there is Enterprise Park and Booker T. Washington State park. So many trails, so little time.
    I am Facebook challenged.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Raccoon is a gem! However, it contains everything from beginner to expert in the 15 mile loop. Great variety of terrain. Riding clockwise, a fast run-down after East Overlook. The Live Wire is a 2+ mile (fairly steep) off-shoot two-way trail. I understand that there is a new 5 mile trail to the bottom of Live Wire now that is quite technical. Ryanthelyon and Gavin77 climbed the 5 mile a couple of weeks ago and talked like it was pretty brutal. I think I'll go down the 5 and up the 2. Been up and down the 2 before and it's way do-able.

2nd 5-Points (outside Trenton, GA) at Cloud Canyon State Park. Ride Raccoon one day and 5-Points the next. Zoom!

Want to do Stringer!

Gary

Thanks
    Saw your post and started looking for the new Raccoon mountain map. Found one on Sorba Chattanooga and it really makes you think. The old trail was pretty simple to develop a ride. Park at the bottom of Live Wire (1) climb to the top. Take a right (or left) and ride until you get back to Live Wire (1) and go down to the car. That is a good, solid, long technical ride.

The trails Live Wire (1) and High Voltage are going to change riding there totally. Many more options now for cool rides.

For example, you could park at the Switchyard and take that long, bombing downhill Live Wires 1 & 2.

Then, the nasty climb High Voltage. Split Rock, River Gorge, Megawatt, Grindstone and Small Intestine.

Or, instead of taking a right on Split Rock you head left and continue the broad circle around the lake back to the car.

Very cool. I'm going to have to look in the back of the closet for my big boy pants!

7. The following user says "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Enterprise South is a blast! I spent about 2 weeks in Cleveland, tn last month and went there 3 times. Newer trail with berms, rollers, and jumps (nothing you can't roll over though). The TNT loop even has a pump track in the middle of it. The trail also drys very quickly if it happens to rain the day before. Definitely worth going to if you are in the area.

Raccoon Mtn is also worth the visit. Me and some buddies went last year and spent half a day there. I can't wait to back and try out the new Live Wire trail.

9. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to thetimanator for this useful post:

Thanks
    About Raccoon Mtn...No if's, and's or but's... If you ride down to the boat ramp via High Voltage or Live Wire 1 & 2, it is a brutal climb back to the top. Live Wire 1 being the least difficult part to climb IMHO.

Mark

11. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hmmm now I really want to take off and go to Chattanooga for the weekend..

Thanks
    Just finished riding Enterprise South and it was awesome! Really good flow. My wife rode it with me and she liked it a lot as well. I really enjoyed the "skill section" and the log rides. The pump truck was a gem....until I looped out on a manual through some rollers haha. My back will be feeling that for a bit.

14. The following user says "Thank You" to jrbookingtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
    About Raccoon Mtn...No if's, and's or but's... If you ride down to the boat ramp via High Voltage or Live Wire 1 & 2, it is a brutal climb back to the top. Live Wire 1 being the least difficult part to climb IMHO.

Mark
    Can you park at the boat ramp for free? I think I would like to do that so I could finish my ride with a long downhill.
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I think that you can. We last parked across from the base/bottom of Live Wire in a pull-off parking area. Seems like it was a little past the boat ramp parking. gmb could better direct you. I was along for the ride. (pun intended) I'll say again, 5-Points (Trenton, GA, about 30 min. from Raccoon) was a great next day ride! (do Kettle Bottom clockwise)

Gary

17. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebrainmaniac View Post
    Can you park at the boat ramp for free? I think I would like to do that so I could finish my ride with a long downhill.
    Yes. You can park at the boat ramp for free. There is another place to park on that side of the mountain that Gary is talking about. It is where Live Wire Phase 1 & 2 meet. I'm guessing at some point Live Wire 1 & 2 will become known as just Live Wire. It was just built in 2 different phases and is mostly all uphill or downhill depending on your direction.

Talked to a local last weekend that still hadn't been able to determine the "best" way to ride it.

Mark

19. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thread Information