Thread: Pump Track at Cane Ridge?

Thanks

Pump Track at Cane Ridge?

What are the hurdles to digging at pump track at cane ridge? The terrain seems very conducive to digging a track in the woods and there's ample space to build one. I'm sure if it got the all clear there would be no shortage of helpers to dig.

Thoughts? Sorba?
    Do It Better

Thanks
    politics... next question.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    from what i've heard, there's no shortage of pumping going at CR.

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Sorba has a sweet trail machine now. Should take a day to have something pretty sweet.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    I agree that a pump track at CR would be great, but the is a priority list of things that Sorba already has on it's plate, so anything we add to it would be tacked on to the end. I think it is great that you all want these things, but unless Sorba gets help with the list I things we have to do, the longer it is going to take to get to the new projects you want to do. I know no one wants to keep hearing it and I hate having to keep saying it, but unless the community comes out and helps/ gets involved, the same slow progress will continue to happen.

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just curious, but what all is on the list? Is it new trails in new parks, additions to existing trails, or something really cool you can't talk about yet? I know you can't tell us everything (don't want people riding rogue like before PW opened) but open communication would help in getting support to complete these projects. For instance, I didn't see any notice about work days at cane ridge or bells bend and didn't even know bells bend was open until I saw something from outdoor nashville.

And as far as volunteer support, what about contacting local Boy Scout troops to help in workdays. Or I am sure vandy/Belmont/lipscomb have some sort of outdoor rec club or organization that would be glad to help. I would venture to say most people on this board have full time jobs and/or families and/or other excuses as to why it is difficult to make workdays.

Also, is it possible sorba may be spreading themselves too thin. It is great that they have been able to add so much trail around Nashville, but it also makes upkeep harder. Everyone would love to have a trail 5 minutes from home, but are 5 parks with 2 mile trails better than one park with 10 miles of trail? As big as Nashville is, and as much as biking is growing here, we really should have a marquee trail that provides a destination for out of towners to come and enjoy. No offense, but I'm not driving 30 minutes across town to ride a 4 miles of switchbacks at cane ridge. PW is nice but only cause I can stop and ride on my way home, I wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes to ride there. It would be great to have an oak mountain or raccoon mountain, and I would argue it would be much easier to maintain one big epic trail than five small trails spread across the county. Maybe it's just me, but trying to cram miles of trail into small areas does not make as much fun riding. (I know, finding land isn't easy either)

Sorry for the long post just wanted to throw those thoughts and suggestions out there. I really do appreciate the work and trails sorba has built.

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Kige Ramsey for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chasethis View Post
    I'm sure if it got the all clear there would be no shortage of helpers to dig.
    Pardon me, while I spam this thread with responses to what's here.

No shortage of helpers to dig? That's a great notion. In my experience, in midTN, that's a fantasy though. I have a pump track and a jump line or three planned for North Ford, as well as 8 miles of trail. Getting people to come help is like pulling teeth. Exactly two people from SORBA have come out to help - and they know very well I appreciate them. I can name all the people that have come out to help on North Ford, there has been no mysterious appearance of swarms of volunteers, even since the trail opened, although it has netted about 3 new enthusiastic helpers.

No, if they put in a pump track somewhere, it won't result in more helpers. It may not result in the same ones - there may be some different helpers...but there won't be any more helpers.

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    there is a priority list of things that Sorba already has on it's plate, so anything we add to it would be tacked on to the end. I think it is great that you all want these things, but unless Sorba gets help with the list I things we have to do, the longer it is going to take to get to the new projects you want to do. I know no one wants to keep hearing it and I hate having to keep saying it, but unless the community comes out and helps/ gets involved, the same slow progress will continue to happen.
    This. Because everything an organization like SORBA does they do because some outside power (land managers, be they private owners, municipal management, or federal management) allows them to do it under the pretext of some agreement. Violations of those agreements are essentially breech of contract, and if it happens willfully, organizations like SORBA suddenly find themselves unwelcome and unable to do more things.

I can't count the number of times I've heard "if you did this, I'd come help." I can only respond that "I can't do that until we finish what we're working on. Why don't you come help with that, and we'll get to what you want faster." Those people never show up. With this post, the nail hath been struck soundly upon the head.

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kige Ramsey View Post
    Also, is it possible sorba may be spreading themselves too thin. It is great that they have been able to add so much trail around Nashville, but it also makes upkeep harder. Everyone would love to have a trail 5 minutes from home, but are 5 parks with 2 mile trails better than one park with 10 miles of trail? As big as Nashville is, and as much as biking is growing here, we really should have a marquee trail that provides a destination for out of towners to come and enjoy. No offense, but I'm not driving 30 minutes across town to ride a 4 miles of switchbacks at cane ridge. PW is nice but only cause I can stop and ride on my way home, I wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes to ride there. It would be great to have an oak mountain or raccoon mountain, and I would argue it would be much easier to maintain one big epic trail than five small trails spread across the county. Maybe it's just me, but trying to cram miles of trail into small areas does not make as much fun riding. (I know, finding land isn't easy either)
    You've touched on something I've been saying for years. It's true. It's hard to cram all kinds of miles into such small parcels of land. Around here, we flip out when we get 100 acres to build on. But if we didn't take it, we'd be no where for trails. Most of the plots of land we have trail on in MidTN is under 200 acres. Back home, we wouldn't mess with 200 acres unless it was attached to something bigger - a 700 acre part, with 500 acres on one side of a creek, and 200 on the other? Build on the 500, and wait for a grant to built a bridge to the 200. Yet, these are still places you go when you "only have a couple hours" to ride. For all day excursions, you look to the GW, with thousands upon thousands of acres of forest covered mountains, threaded here and there with gnarly old single track, and newer flow trail where completely unsustainable gullies used to be the trail.

The problem is, there's only one large plot of land we can build trail on in MidTN, and it's closed for everything but hunting during any big game season. So we take our small parcels that we're offered, and stack as much trail in them as we can. As a result, we are spoilt for choice, but Monty Bell is our longest trail, and even all of that can be ridden in one day fairly easily. Yes, we need something, bigger, but so far, the only place with that much land, being closed half the year, gets zero support for trails from volunteers who, as mentioned earlier, only want to help on the stuff they want.

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    I agree that a pump track at CR would be great, but the is a priority list of things that Sorba already has on it's plate, so anything we add to it would be tacked on to the end. I think it is great that you all want these things, but unless Sorba gets help with the list I things we have to do, the longer it is going to take to get to the new projects you want to do. I know no one wants to keep hearing it and I hate having to keep saying it, but unless the community comes out and helps/ gets involved, the same slow progress will continue to happen.
    So I guess I'm confused a bit...we have to wait until SORBA members are available to build? Because this is something where if they give the go ahead with the plot of land I will be out there tomorrow with shovels. In most areas of the country you don't ride unless you dig/maintain, and the only organization you're apart of is 'trail user'. Its annoying and no one wants to do it, nor does everyone have time every ride but tools for the trail are just as essential as bike tools. There's almost always a branch down or rough spot to smooth out.

WHEN'S THE NEXT WORK DAY? Where is workday information posted? Is there a email list to get on, separate from the SORBA one I'm on(that i have gotten two emails from in the last year)?

What about having designated trail-keepers? Meaning- there are a few designated trail stewards that focus on one trail that is closest to their house/ridden the most by them. I.E. having a "Friends of Such and Such Trail" instead of waiting on the organization who IS being spread a bit thin trying to take such huge strides for middle tenn mtb riding. I greatly appreciate SORBA and the work being done. But what about supporting SORBA with subcommittees for each trail, or teams of trail? Lock 4 is dialed...because there is a solid crew of guys out there supporting it. This board started to bring everyone together to make the scene better. Well what if divide and conquer?

Nashville land is getting more expensive by the month and thus building on 1000 acres is a pipe dream. I'm not worried about bigger trails, I'm interested in more support/supporting existing trail systems. I'm stoked to have newer options to ride but I look at Hamilton Creek, Nashville's biggest trail, and see the neglect that the place has faced over the years. I'm not talking about new trail, I'm talking about a new map, and maybe some trail signs for people who don't know there way around that place(because the trail map is 5 years out of date). This is a couple hours work. Add in trying to block some of the rogue cut throughs, and maybe a few warning signs about your impending death riding certain lines and you have a much safer, healthier trail.

I agree with kige ramsey- looking outside the group of mtb'ers to a group like the boy scouts, or church groups is a way to get many hands to do whatever work is needed. Or more importantly a solid recruiting campaign to draw in new volunteers from within the mtb community. Word of mouth is pretty stone age when were talking about a group of people that are spec'ing every new part being produced and watching live streams of cycing events around the world.
    Last edited by chasethis; 09-19-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    So I guess I'm confused a bit...we have to wait until SORBA is available to build? Because this is something where if they give the go ahead with the plot of land I will be out there tomorrow with shovels. In most areas of the country you don't ride unless you dig/maintain. Its annoying and no one wants to do it, nor does everyone have time every ride but tools for the trail are just as essential as bike tools. There's almost always a branch down or rough spot to smooth out.

WHEN'S THE NEXT WORK DAY? Where is workday information posted? Is there a email list to get on, separate from the SORBA one I'm on(that i have gotten two emails from in the last year)?

What about having designated trail-keepers? Meaning- there are a few designated trail stewards that focus on one trail that is closest to their house/ridden the most by them. I.E. having a "Friends of Such and Such Trail" instead of waiting on the organization who IS being spread a bit thin trying to take such huge strides for middle tenn mtb riding. I greatly appreciate SORBA and the work being done. But what about supporting SORBA with subcommittees for each trail, or teams of trail? Lock 4 is dialed...because there is a solid crew of guys out there supporting it. This board started to bring everyone together to make the scene better. Well what if divide and conquer?

Nashville land is getting more expensive by the month and thus building on 1000 acres is a pipe dream. I'm not worried about bigger trails, I'm interested in more support/supporting existing trail systems. I'm stoked to have newer options to ride but I look at Hamilton Creek, Nashville's biggest trail, and see the neglect that the place has faced over the years. I'm not talking about new trail, I'm talking about a new map, and maybe some trail signs for people who don't know there way around that place(because the trail map is 5 years out of date). This is a couple hours work. Add in trying to block some of the rogue cut throughs, and maybe a few warning signs about your impending death riding certain lines and you have a much safer, healthier trail.

I agree with kige ramsey- looking outside the group of mtb'ers to a group like the boy scouts, or church groups is a way to get many hands to do whatever work is needed. Or more importantly a solid recruiting campaign to draw in new volunteers from within the mtb community. Word of mouth is pretty stone age when were talking about a group of people that are spec'ing every new part being produced and watching live streams of cycing events around the world.
    the tl;dr version of this..
    "politics..."
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks

Nashville land is getting more expensive by the month and thus building on 1000 acres is a pipe dream.
    The answer to the first part there is complicated. I think I could answer it, but it's not even close to my place to do so. The best advice I can give here is "Answer the call when you get it."

As far as 1000K acres being a pipe dream - it just isn't. I don't have enough dedicated labor to get serious about it, but I asked the land manager of a 20K acre plot of wilderness with good elevation if I could build mountain bike trails on that land, and he told me to "knock myself out" - it's out there. Unfortunately I've spent hundreds of hours building trail other places, and that doesn't look to change for a while. On the bright side, I may have found someone willing to let me use a mini-ex to build on land other than Clarksville's - which would be handy. Nah, it's not a pipe dream. In fact, if I have anything to say about it, it's going to happen. But a one man army will never get it done.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    So when is the next Sorba Board election?

23. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thread Information