Thread: Red Kite Bicycle Studio

Thanks

Red Kite Bicycle Studio

Had a crash last Thursday at Gorilla CX. Didn't think it did anything to my bike but took it in to Shannon at Red Kite just to have it checked out - mainly because I was doing the first CX race of the season this past Sunday and my bike hadn't been looked at since last year. While he's looking it over he notices the shifter hoods aren't exactly in line. He unwraps the bar tape to inspect it closer and realizes my carbon bars are cracked. I brought him another set and he put them on Saturday afternoon to have me ready for Sunday.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Those sanctioned races can be dangerous! Glad you discovered your cracked bars before the race. Cracking a fork, frame or bars must be every riders nightmare! At a race at Lock 4 probably 5 years ago, a guy was killing the 30-39 Sport field. He was way ahead then I came upon him and he had just crashed due to a fork or steerer tube failure. His bike was laying in two pieces, he had busted out some teeth, was in a daze and bleeding profusely. Pay attention to these creaks and when there is a lot of play in your bike!

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Scary part was it happened halfway through the first lap, so I did another 40 mins with it like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    This is the second carbon bar I've heard broke this year during cyclocross. I'm glad I have aluminum. :-)

Thanks

Red Kite Bicycle Studio

First time I've ever broken any. Back on aluminum bars now. At least I got a few rides out of them before I destroyed them.

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Pretty sure this was my buddy Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Those sanctioned races can be dangerous! Glad you discovered your cracked bars before the race. Cracking a fork, frame or bars must be every riders nightmare! At a race at Lock 4 probably 5 years ago, a guy was killing the 30-39 Sport field. He was way ahead then I came upon him and he had just crashed due to a fork or steerer tube failure. His bike was laying in two pieces, he had busted out some teeth, was in a daze and bleeding profusely. Pay attention to these creaks and when there is a lot of play in your bike!
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

8. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes, I think Alex is his name. He is one Speedy Gonzalos. Never saw the guy, he shows up at Lock 4 and blows up the field! I think he did a full on sprint around the lollipop and didn't sit down until he hit the woods. Insane!

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Yea man he's no joke on a bike... he can consistently ride 36 minute laps out there like it's nothing. on a piece of **** bike as well.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I passed him too, Tim, with two people tending to him. He was a mess (and not in a treacherous spot either). I pray every time I approach the fast drop-in after "the big slab rock", thinking how bad it would be to break something up front when bottoming into it. It was the following summer that I met him and learned it was he in that crash. Devastating injuries. I tried riding with him a time or two, but I didn't last long. I learned quickly that he didn't maintain his rig very much (of which I'm probably worse), so his injuries keeps that importance in the back of my mind.

Josh, glad your issue was uncovered and something like that didn't happen to you!

Gary

Thanks
    My carbon handlebar cracked under the grip area. Changed out for aluminum for good!

Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    This is the second carbon bar I've heard broke this year during cyclocross. I'm glad I have aluminum. :-)

Thanks
    It's Captain obvious to say that bike maintenance is important. But I'm reminded (after having frame related issues lately) that it's important to vet out very creak your bike makes. Creaks drive me insane! And for those of you with hard tails, you have no excuse since you have no pivots! But I digress - You have a creak in your fork or when you stand up and pedal that usually means some metal is rubbing somewhere. Hopefully it's not two pieces of your frame. I've seen pictures of roadies whose bike's steerer tube or head tube fails. You go straight down because you have nothing supporting you to clip out. You just go down face first.

14. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Another big +1 for redkite. I left my bike with them for a brake bleed, they Did a perfect job, were super fast and reasonably priced.

not often can you get all 3.

Thread Information