Thread: Your Thoughts

Thanks

Your Thoughts

So my dream is to have a bike shop at some point in the near future. I have recently started selling on line via a website and through Pinkbike. My goal is to build the business enough to warrant opening an actual storefront within the next 2 years. With that said, how many of you would be willing to support a local business like this even though there is no actual brick and mortar building? (at least not yet)
    Would love to hear your thoughts...
    Twisted Spoke Cyclery
    www.twistedspokecyclery.com
    844-861-0099

Thanks
    Where are you located? one of my favorite bike shops in chicago started as a small mail order then got a small storefront that they quickly grew out of and had to move again. they had amazing prices and service that stood far above some other price gouging bike shops. very reasonable service prices and loved to special order unique items.

above all else they were genuinely helpful, not condescending( a trait i find in more shops than not)

Your website looks **** good too.

Thanks
    I would say it's entirely dependent on product selection. It's going to depend a great deal on what you carry, whether or not it's in stock, how quickly I can get it if it's not in stock, and pricing. I don't want to be a killjoy, but I bought an x0 2x10 crankset last week for $150 new in the box from a dealer. You won't sell me many at $299.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I would say it's entirely dependent on product selection. It's going to depend a great deal on what you carry, whether or not it's in stock, how quickly I can get it if it's not in stock, and pricing. I don't want to be a killjoy, but I bought an x0 2x10 crankset last week for $150 new in the box from a dealer. You won't sell me many at $299.
    Be prepared to hear, Will you match this price, a lot, in the future. The convenience of internet and unreal low prices is not helping Brick and Mortar stores at all. If any of the bigger bike manufacturers ever sell bikes direct, look out. It will happen eventually and it is a game changer to compete against your suppliers.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Generally speaking, I don't ask for price matches. For instance, when I purchased my new brakes this year, I bought them from my LBS in spite of the fact they'd have to order them. It turned out to be a good thing for me: Because I've bought 5 bikes from them, they usually cut me a nice discount. I actually was able to get my Guides from them for significantly less than anywhere I could find them online. As far as that crank price, you have to realize - I've been shopping that crank for ....6 months? - Nashbar put them on closeout, then let me apply the 20% off Black Friday price to them. Hence, the $150. But before they did that, it was the X9 I was trying to find at $150 - which I'm sure can be done, but there won't be much in it for the seller.

The key to making brick and mortar work is having what the people walking through the door need *right*now* because my bike is busted and I want to ride. I hate to say it, but that, and being able to fix problems, service products (suspension) quickly - that's where your brick and mortar will be made or broken.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nster View Post

above all else they were genuinely helpful, not condescending( a trait i find in more shops than not)
    To me this is ALL that matters. I need help and I don't need some jerk-off acting like I am a dumb a$$

I am willing to pay a fair price and a few bucks more for some genuine help
    Last edited by dirtdog36; 12-05-2014 at 08:53 AM.

8. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    yeah, I get really irritated when I walk into a shop (won't name which one) and ask for a specific part and I am very used to bike shops having on hand. and being asked "whats it going on?" with a snippy tone. it doesn't matter I know what I need.

Thanks
    Mountain bikers are an independent lot because of the nature of the sport. We know how to fix our bikes because if we don't we are hiking it out. We can't call someone to pick us up unless they can fly a helicopter. With that said, I try to buy sundries and small things from my LBS. The big stuff I'll buy online since that is what the LBS are doing too. Having stuff on hand would be a big plus, lately can't find Avid Trail Pads anywhere close. Those came out two years ago and still rare to find them. If you're catering to mountain bikers I would say your service deptment should be very knowledgable if not certified to work on suspension parts. Bottom line, don't treat us like we are roadies. We know what we want and how to do it. We go through bake pads, rotors, small parts, chains and cassettes. We are rough on our equipment and that's why we love it. My Two Cents.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nster View Post
    yeah, I get really irritated when I walk into a shop (won't name which one) and ask for a specific part and I am very used to bike shops having on hand. and being asked "whats it going on?" with a snippy tone. it doesn't matter I know what I need.
    not all shops or indeed bike shop employees are created equal. This question is not about being snippy, it IS about validating that the part you are asking for/need is the part you are walking out the door with and it's going to be the right part for the job when you get home. One mechanic might have a ton of experience with a particular type of bike, and another might be more well rounded and well versed across many different platforms and setups. Just like customers have their favorite LBS employees to deal with, mechanics get to liking particular customers. For both parties it's a little dance you do to get to know a person; their riding style, preferences, mechanical ability, and overall knowledge. [8 year bike shop vet]

Good luck with the venture - Twisted Spoke Cyclery! My biggest piece of advice is to play to your strengths- if you're next to a sweet singletrack trail-be prepared to get asked about fixing squeaky brakes all day; if you're next to a college -get ready for the "but do you have anything cheaper?" question all day. Study the market and offer something that the other guys do not. The only way to beat the internet is to have better service, and even then, with luck on your side, it's still a flip of the coin. Most of all be prepared to work for NO SALARY for the first five years of the business (seriously).
    Last edited by chasethis; 12-05-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    I'm in Ashland City. I always try to help people even if they don't buy from me. It's a karma thing. I'm working on suppliers but not having a storefront is limiting my options right now. I go direct for Loaded Precision, Hope, X-fusion, MRP, No Tubes and Token. I can go head to head with anyone as far as pricing goes on those brands. Everything else is through distribution. BTI and QBP are the largest wholesale distributors and offer the best pricing to shops on just about everything. Unfortunately without a storefront they won't sell to me. I have to go to smaller distributors and the pricing isn't as good.
    Twisted Spoke Cyclery
    844-861-0099

Thanks
    I've been in sales (consulting sales) for over 20 years and I have a passion for biking. Bringing the two together seemed to be the right thing to do. I love helping people and I've delt with my fair share if bike shop knuckle heads. I absolutely know what not to do
    Twisted Spoke Cyclery
    844-861-0099

Thanks
    I'm not going to be the cheapest on everything. I'm working on suppliers now. I go direct for Loaded Precision, No-Tubes, X-Fusion, Hope, MRP, and Token. I can go head to head with anyone on those brands. Working on the rest.
    Twisted Spoke Cyclery
    844-861-0099

Thanks

Cycle Shops

Hi...

Electric bikes feature a battery-powered motor that can help you climb hills easily or make your commute less strenuous. Built-in sensors can monitor how much pressure you're putting on the pedals and then apply battery power accordingly.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE
    Last edited by amit65; 03-18-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Thread Information