Thread: Newbie wants a trainer but has many questions

Thanks

Question Newbie wants a trainer but has many questions

Before I begin, please forgive me for my lack of knowledge or lingo but I'm trying to learn. I bought a 29er about 3 weeks ago and have not yet gotten to ride it because of rain, cold, being dark or all 3. So I learned I could get a trainer and ride inside during the winter which sounds great but I have a ton of questions. I hear it's best to get a slick rear tire just for the trainer but does this mean a full new wheel (rim, tire, gears..the whole 9) or just the tire? If it's just the tire, won't I also need a new inner tube? I keep reading stories of the tubes busting under the slick's pressure and this is all very confusing. What size tire would I look for with a 29x2 rim? If someone can shed some light, I would be very appreciative.

Brandi

Thanks
    Hello,
    I don't know much about trainers but did ride rollers back in the day (I have just gotten back into riding after about 10 years off so I don't know much)

I rode my rollers in the garage with my knobby tires and had no issues. I would guess you could ride a trainer with knobby tires too, they are just a little louder.

I would go/call ask the guys at Gran Fondo Trail or Moab Cycles. Both of those places have been super friendly and informative for me and my wife.

Thanks
    You definitely want a slick. For your sanity (noisy!) and the fact that a trainer will wear your tire in a hurry. The easiest way to do it is just to switch out to a slick tire unless you are running tubeless tires on your 29'er. That's a whole different story and a pain to swap out just for riding the trainer. A separate trainer wheel would be nice but expensive.

You could put a wheel on from a road bike with an old tire if you have one. But I assume you don't because in that case you could just throw the road bike on the trainer and be done with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Road wheel will not work on a mountain frame, the spacing is different.

Thread Information