Thread: Leaf removal

Thanks

Leaf removal

I just started riding this past summer so I'm not sure if there are strong feelings on this issue or not. What are most trail builders/maintainers policies on blowing leaves off of the trails in late fall? It would be relatively easy to take a backpack blower and blow off a trail. The upside is obvious but what is the down side?

Thanks
    You are right, there are strong feelings on both sides of the issue. I just did a search and found this thread that was suprisingly started by me. lol http://tennesseemountainbike.com/boa...blowing+leaves
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I ain't sayin' nothin'.

Gary

Thanks
    It's two sides of a coin, for sure. I'm going to way oversimplify things for the sake of brevity. Most trails do better with the leaves left on them, especially during freeze thaw, because the leaves act as an insulator. Some trails do better without the leaves, because with leaves on them, they never dry, and/or freeze thaw is less of a factor.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    About 4 or 5 years ago we blew all the leaves off of Shutes Branch. It was a mess that winter. It may have just been a bad year leaves or not, but we thought that it had a lot to do with removing the leaves. So we decided to leave the leaves in the future. The next year someone did not get the memo and blew leaves off parts of the trail. The parts of the trail that had the leaves did better than the parts that did not. It was not as big a difference as I thought it would be. But it was a noticeable difference. Particularly during freeze/thaw. And I think that the leaves protect the dirt during a vulnerable time of year. Unless the leaves are causing a drainage problem, I say leave them.
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

Thanks
    I can definitely see how the leaves would help a little during freeze thaw cycles. It seems like the leaves at Cane Ridge in particular are casing the trail to no dry out in sections and causing drainage issues and rutting in areas that weren't rutting before the leaves fell. It seems like there would be more positives than negatives to removing the leaves in these sections of the trail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TM. View Post
    I can definitely see how the leaves would help a little during freeze thaw cycles. It seems like the leaves at Cane Ridge in particular are casing the trail to no dry out in sections and causing drainage issues and rutting in areas that weren't rutting before the leaves fell. It seems like there would be more positives than negatives to removing the leaves in these sections of the trail.
    One thing that's important to note regarding it "seeming to not dry out" as fast after the leaves fall is that the trees themselves play a large part in that. Once the leaves have fallen, the trees don't drink - they won't until they grow more leaves in the spring. As far as rutting, if the trail is that bad in a particular area, then it's important to draw attention to it, either so that it can be fixed, or so that the trail can be closed if it's really a problem.

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    People riding in the mud causes ruts. People riding in the spring when its soft causes them to flatten out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    People riding in the mud causes ruts. People riding in the spring when its soft causes them to flatten out.
    Yeah. Sort of. The real problem with ruts around here is rain. Once you have a rut in a trail, the water will run down the trail if it's on a hill, and not off the trail. This results in erosion and deterioration of the trail long term. I don't mind seeing tire tracks in a trail, but ruts are an issue.

13. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Derrickea View Post
    шерлок 2 сезон смотреть онлайн
    шерлок онлайн 2 сезон

Коментарии людей о фильме
    СЕРИАЛ БОМБА !!Очень крутой !непонятно токо как Шерлок жив остался

немного удивило, что в сезоне только 3 серии, но это компенсируется продолжительностью серии в целом сериал мне понравился, правда я пока только первый сезон посмотрела буду смотреть дальше!

офигенный сериал!! Быстрее бы 3 сезон!

Я не жалел время и просмотрел оба сезона супер

пожалуста 3 сезон

Посмотрела 1 сезон)и наткнулась на второй)первый смотрела с замиранием сердца, так интересно было)как почитатель Артура Конана Дойла, отдаю свою дань уважения сценаристам и режиссёру этого фильма))хорошо постарались)))

Цитата: Vakhid

просто прекрасный фильм! и актер сыграл свою роль безупречно! спасибо тому кто создал и тому кто добавил этот фильм на этот сайт!

сериал шерлок 2 сезон

http://rufilmov.net/zarubezhnye-seri...ezon-2012.html

шерлок 1 2 3 сезон
    True

Thread Information