Shifters SRAM X4 24-SP BLACK, 24-Speed
    Brakes TEKTRO DRACO BLACK DISC BRAKE

vs

Bike 2

Front Derailleur SHIMANO ACERA TOP PULL
    Rear Derailleur SHIMANO ALIVIO long cage
    Shifters Shimano Acera ST-EF51, 24-Speed
    Brakes TEKTRO NOVELA DISC BRAKES

Seems to be upgraded brakes but switches to SRAM derailleurs. They are really similar bikes, was set on purchasing bike 2, then read that those brakes arent that good. Then I saw the next model up was very close in price and had the better DRACO brakes instead of NOVELA. But for some reason they changed the derailleurs. Apparently some kinda difference in frame that I didnt notice at first.

bike 1

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm

bike 2

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, how do these bikes compare to your current bike? What do you dislike about that, and what do you like about it? What is the upgrade going to accomplish for you?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seems like if you have one mountain bike, and you're hooked enough to think you wan to upgrade, why still buy another entry level bike? It seems you'd be much better served by upping your budget, and picking up a nicer bike. Start by looking at the fork - if it's not an air sprung fork, skip it. By the time you get there, you should have a decent frame, then you'll want to take a look at components. Drive line is expensive, brakes are cheap. Make sure you like the drive line, then I'd say wheels are more important than brakes. Again, brakes are cheap. Wheels, not so much. Anyhow, what I'm getting at, is you'd be better served, I think, by looking more at the $700 to $1000 range.

Thanks
    What you have said already, helps. (brakes are cheap) I am upgrading from a Mongoose 29" Ledge 3.1. A full suspension bike with disc front and v pull rear brakes. The reason I am upgrading is that the rear shock broke on my last ride, and it hasnt been easy to find the replacement part of the internet and it doesnt make much sense anyway to put more money into that bike.

What I liked most was the big wheels. I figured I was trading the rear shock for improvements to frame/components. While also having a lighter bike, with one less thing to break on the bike.

I would like to be in the $750-$1000 budget range, but with my current bike breaking unexpectedly plus me being a broke ass, I am in the <$450 range. Which is an improvement over the <$250 range of my first bike lol.

My old bike : http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoos...-Blue/26999366
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

Thanks
    everyone wants a new mountain bike. But many of rider don't know which is best. Many of brands on the market but they didn't find the best ones. You should check this mountain bike Schwinn S29 Men's Mountain Bike

Thread Information