View Poll Results: Is it ok to ride in conditions like those in the pictures?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 16.67%
  • No

10 83.33%

Thread: Is this ok or not?

Thanks

Is this ok or not?

It's a simple poll, only yes or no, there is no riding the fence. We ride bikes not fences. Also, no condemnation. I may not even EVER reply to this thread, but I'll read it. Look at the attached pictures, and simply vote - is it ok to ride PUBLIC trails (not private trails on your land or your buddy's land) in conditions like these? If it is, why? If it isn't, why? That's it.

2015-02-09 09.52.55.jpg2015-02-09 10.57.03.jpg2015-02-09 10.58.15.jpg2015-02-09 11.06.37.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    No. It still tears the he** out of the trail, unless they are willing to fix it, and it is no fun to ride in that stuff, imho.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    I guess it depends on what you mean by 'ok'. Is it ideal? No, not really. Is is the end of the world and ruined forever? No, not really.

So I guess in the most literal sense of the word, it's ok (as in, it'll be alright).... but kinda really sucks for the guys that maintain the trail(s).

I think it's ok because this sort of thing can never be stopped, and to a certain extent should be expected by now.... we just need to lead by example. On days when the trail is like that I like to get out there and work on trouble spots and if guys passing by notice, maybe they'll follow the lead at some point and well net gain more trail stewards, rather than trail abusers. who knows.... my way more than you asked for 2 cents.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

4. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    https://www.google.com/search?q=on+t...2F%3B580%3B779

Okay, don't be like the pictures!! LOL

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Are we really going to go through this again?

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    yep. jump in, the waters... ok.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    I ride stuff like that, but only uphill... it's awesome.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Are we really going to go through this again?
    Tim you are not required to answer. Sit on the fence and watch.

And drwx, when you get close to 60 it will be awesome to ride anything and stay fit. I promise.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-10-2015 at 07:48 PM.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    The obligatory post.
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Here's the issue though - it's been dry for a few days so you get out for a nice trail ride and 95% of the trail tread is solid and fast tacky. But then you hit the area of the trail that's ALWAYS wet, and thus holding that moisture from the rain. You are faced with the decision -Do you a) get off and walk around b) ride through the middle, slowly c) promptly turn around, go home, and park your bike until late march?

My basic theory is are you riding the trail or wearing it?? How much mud is you bike frame collecting and are you causing rutting? These are my signs to leave the trail asap.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chasethis View Post
    Here's the issue though - it's been dry for a few days so you get out for a nice trail ride and 95% of the trail tread is solid and fast tacky. But then you hit the area of the trail that's ALWAYS wet, and thus holding that moisture from the rain. You are faced with the decision -Do you a) get off and walk around b) ride through the middle, slowly c) promptly turn around, go home, and park your bike until late march?

My basic theory is are you riding the trail or wearing it?? How much mud is you bike frame collecting and are you causing rutting? These are my signs to leave the trail asap.
    Yeah. Because you asked, I'll reply - these pictures aren't from sections that don't drain, this is straight up freeze thaw, and it's a significant portion of the trail. Areas like you talk about, I've always found ways to deal with, like at Rotary in Clarksville where we had a really bad spot, and the guys and I went up there and turnpiked it, and it's just not been a problem for 3 years now.

16. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Yep, It's winter again.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    Yes, this is a thread that comes around at least once a year. I see no problem with bringing up the topic on a regular basis because there are new riders every year and this may be there only chance to become aware, if not educated, regarding the topic. Regular and long time users of the board rarely change their position on the topic, but at least it gives new users a chance to see the pros and cons.

I, personally, rode trails that were this bad and worse when I first started riding. I think I spent more time cleaning my bike afterwards than I actually spent riding my bike. Only after finding TnMB and volunteering for work days did I change my position quite quickly on the topic. Because of these reasons, I try to refrain from "mud riding" and always recommend others do the same.

Mark

19. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I prefer mine without ruts.

Gary

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Why would anyone WANT to ride that? That's no fun to real Mtn bikers. Endurance guys who don't really care about Mtn biking that are just out to get fit and aren't really there because they love Mtn biking, they don't care cause they can still achieve their goals riding in that, but people who ride for fun don't enjoy riding that, it's just not fun. And who has time to clean their bike after riding that?

23. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Why would anyone WANT to ride that? That's no fun to real Mtn bikers. Endurance guys who don't really care about Mtn biking that are just out to get fit and aren't really there because they love Mtn biking, they don't care cause they can still achieve their goals riding in that, but people who ride for fun don't enjoy riding that, it's just not fun. And who has time to clean their bike after riding that?
    I have goals when I ride and I have fun. I hate riding in that stuff. Not fun, tears up the trail, destroys bike components. I will not travel to any race where there will be a good chance of muddy conditions. I can achieve my fitness and single track goals by riding the road or gravel. I love mountain biking but I also love being fit. At almost 60, I know when to ride the road and when to ride the trails. Please don't lump everyone into the same group. And I cannot achieve my goals riding in mud and slime. No how, no way. Period.

25. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I do not ride on trails in such conditions,that I cannot participate on workdays, unless the trails are in excellent shape. Just not my style. Show some respect to the maintainers, that's the only reason the trail exsists

27. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to wintercreeper for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    If you look at PWP - all the ruts disappeared, except for that weird spot where the trunk trail meets up with ToyBox and Hookman. I remember riding a super smooth trail all summer. Hamilton Creek has been punished ruthlessly for years and we still have a great trail in the summer time. Though I would't personally waste my time in such conditions because like Mark said - spend too much time cleaning your bike, don't see the empirical non-emotional examples on the long term "damage" this does.

But it sure is fun to debate about on Internet forums!

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    It's totally fine. About 75% of the trails I've been to have ruts. It's okay. If you don't like mud, don't ride it, but it is a part of the sport, and I think people need to face that. I like muddy trails. It's fun! If it damages the trail, just have a work day and fix it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    How is it not fun? Mud is probably one of my favorite conditions. I clean my bike in 5 minutes after riding mud. I'm pretty sure most of you have time to do that. I understand you don't like mud, but let the people who enjoy it ride! There is no harm in that.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDownhill View Post
    It's totally fine. About 75% of the trails I've been to have ruts. It's okay. If you don't like mud, don't ride it, but it is a part of the sport, and I think people need to face that. I like muddy trails. It's fun! If it damages the trail, just have a work day and fix it!
    He lives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    He lives.

haha! Yeah I live. Just been busy with dh training. I finally have my race schedule for 2015!

34. The following user says "Thank You" to TreyDownhill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trey, good luck with your training and racing. I know you have fun doing it.

36. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Trey, good luck with your training and racing. I know you have fun doing it.
    thank you! It's my favorite thing to do. Now back to the exciting subject of mud!

Thread Information