Thread: Defeated Creek Work Day this Saturday 9/12/2015

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts

Defeated Creek Work Day this Saturday 9/12/2015

See last post under Defeated Creek Trail Conditions. Pass the word. Lets get this place back in business!

The more the merrier.

Steve

http://tennesseemountainbike.com/boa...704#post143704
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    i havent been on here in a while, so i didnt realize you had this planned. I was out of town, so it wouldn't have mattered, but i could have let the guys in cookeville know. anyway, how did it go?
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Hey, Steve! Saw Wendy at PWP and she said to let you and Ruthie know if/when we do another one! Trekkona Steve and I walked the whole thing and cut out all trees. Caveman Steve, his son, and a couple of others weed-eat and blew the lower loop (to upper junction) as far as I know. Steve and I found the upper loop needing weed-eating badly, from around mile 5 (riding counterclockwise) all the way back to the junction. Most of the thick stuff were weeds that will be knocked down after a couple of hard frosts. The grasses might lay down, too. If you put a group together, I'd be glad to try to meet and do blowing. With poison ivy allergy, I avoid trail weed-whacking.

Gary

4. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Oops - forgot to write up. It went great. Everything has been trimmed except for the upper middle section. About 1/4 of the trail was blown off. The whole thing needs it. There are so few riders the sticks and small stuff builds up pretty badly. I'm generally opposed to blowing off leaves, but with so few riders, it would actually be a good idea. Trail will disappear in parts with heavy leaf cover. It's probably too dry and dusty to blow now.

After the work day, we rode on Sunday and it was amazing, except for the middle. About a mile of horrible through tall weeds.

Scuba Steve, this was a last minute decision due to the forecast. And I was really pleased we had 8 trail workers!!! If you or anyone want to do this again, I'll post on the Upper Cumberland MTB group on Facebook (check it out - ~39 members - new group) If rain s ever forecast for a weekend, great time for a trail work day.

The trail needs herbicide next April. Powerlines, beginner section, upper terraces where weeds grow, and top of hill.

Steve
    Last edited by TNcaveman; 09-21-2015 at 07:04 AM.
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

6. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    BTW Homer, the cold front dropped a tree Saturday night. About 20 minutes of branch breaking made a walk though easy. It had completely blocked it. Mark from Cookeville said he would finish it off with a hand saw.

Thread Information