Thread: I miss the old NMB action

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts

I miss the old NMB action

Wow - remember when NMB had 10 to 40 posts a day. Sure wish the FB Group folks would come back. I tried to look for something today and it took a while. I prefer the separate sections here.

So - here's a challenge - all the old NMBers post up. And lets here what you been up to.

Me, I'm still riding when I can. Work's been crazy lately. At least once a week. Did a 21 mile ride a few weeks ago at LBL - still one of my favorite places. We hit L4 Thursday and Defeated Creek yesterday. We've retired from racing. Little Caveman is off at college now - TTU in Cookeville.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

2. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I'm with you, Steve, but looks like the FB thing has taken hold. I must say that the ease photo posting is an advantage. I also prefer the thread options here. I'm still in, but it's obvious that we are in the minority among all the guys that have been involved over the years. Maybe new blood (pun not intended) is on the way. In my opinion, this is still the go-to place for all thing MB in middle TN.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Glad to see you posting. I still post but not as much and it has nothing to do with FB. I don't use it. Glad to hear that Charlie is settled in college. Glad to hear you are getting out still. Been busy with family stuff but getting my rides in. They clear my head. I will try and do 3 to 4 distance events if things work out in 2016, gravel races and one or two longer mountain bike races. Thanks for posting up. Hey Caveman, why don't you pick one event to do in 2016 that is 30 to 50 miles long. It gives you a reason to get out the door and just ride on the days you don't want to. Just a suggestion. I have been either running or riding for so many years that it's kind of like brushing my teeth. It is just something I do and like doing because it is a choice.
    Last edited by Robert; 11-29-2015 at 05:33 AM.
    I am Facebook challenged.

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Not sure I count as part of the old crew, but work schedule, family, and weather have conspired against me. I've managed three short rides in the past 4 weeks. But I got a little more trail built in Clarksville too, so that has to count for something.

Facebook is ok for general banter, but trail conditions and stuff like that will never make it there. Forums work well for me, that's why I visit several regularly.

7. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Holy Crap were getting old, Little Caveman is in college...... I as well used to ride, post up, and race several years ago. Hopefully next summer there will be a lot more rides, I finally quite my 60 hour week, on call 24 -7 job last week!! I do get to Cane Ridge because it is close to my house. Cant remember last time went to Montgomery Bell. Oh yeah, I am not even on Face Book, hehehehe

9. The following user says "Thank You" to edrod for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Just think the ease of the Facebook format has made visiting here sort of a "pain" Over-moderation probably hasn't helped. If you recall, our first local forum started out as a Yahoo email group - then evolved into this. Now it has evolved into Facebook pages. With the Sorba trail updates available, there is no need to come here to find them. Think it is just the way things are changing. In a few years, there will be some other method to communicate and the FB pages will be on the decline. Robert will have to make up a fake profile and join Facebook. That way he can still hide from the CIA

I think Starva also has contributed to this, you connect with your buddies on Strava and see their rides making one less reason to come here to see who is riding.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    and Uzzi, once again, is a kill joy.

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

back in the day...

Before PW, and the wheelsize debate, and when HC was the go-to and actually 8.5 miles(like the map says at the trailhead) I remember blue camo NMB kits, the Fat Tire Fests at Hammy including the year someone built a flyover box, poker rides, Reedly, being shown the hidden treasures of Hammy by a few of you guys, that time I almost killed Siccardi on an urban ride, Darryl explaining to me why everyone backs in at the Ned Shelton trailhead, Chris' Black Market Mob.

FB is great for what it does, as well as that handy SORBA trail update page, but this forum does have it's place.
    Honestly guys without NMB I don't think I would have known about the other trails in the area, I grew up on Smith Springs Road and rode Hammy for two years before I even realized that Lock 4 and MB existed. Then I connected with NMB and figured out that there was a much larger world of trail and riders than what was happening at my home trail.
    Last edited by chasethis; 12-02-2015 at 10:19 AM.
    Do It Better

15. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    Right on. I prefer the thread break-down. Maybe we can find a few more Roberto non-conformists.

Hey, Reedly's coming back to town! May be here now! I hope to meet him for his first PWP go-round (unless he's skeered)!

Gary

17. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    That's me a non-comformist. I even own a flip phone. ;) It does take pics and text. Technology to the max. LMAO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    I turned into a roadie for past few years since it's easier than loading up the bike and driving to the trail. I'll be getting a new MTB next year so I hope that will motivate me to ride the dirt a lot more. I also plan on doing a few longer MTB races around the south east in 2016.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    I turned into a roadie for past few years since it's easier than loading up the bike and driving to the trail. I'll be getting a new MTB next year so I hope that will motivate me to ride the dirt a lot more. I also plan on doing a few longer MTB races around the south east in 2016.
    About time.

Thanks
    See what road bikes do? The create a need for "motivation" to ride on the dirt. Sad man, very sad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    They also help you win races...

23. The following user says "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I wouldn't know! I haven't won a race in years!

25. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think that both types of riding compliment each other. I am going to have to do some longer fatty rides if I am going to compete on this bike. It is fun and very different.

27. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    this thread is stale but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

When I moved to Nash I found the site invaluable. It was a huge help in understanding the trails, the customs and the folks riding. Even though I'm not on the boards much I really enjoy them and I am sad the traffic is ebbing and moving to Facebook. I really don't want to give Zuckerberg access to all of my personal data.

A current example of something I enjoy about the board is the upcoming gravel grinder posted on another thread. I wouldn't have known about this event otherwise. I did a similar one the year before last and had a ball. Except for taking a wrong turn a few miles from the end and riding the route on 2.4's. I'll probably sign up for the one posted up. Thanks.

Oh, btw. Merry Christmas all and I look forward with riding with you in the new year.

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have never used mebook, I still look at two to three message boards. If I want to ride with someone, I will text, call, or email them. The people I have listened to or met from this sight are great. Even the banter is good. The gravel race will be great. I love riding that area.
    Last edited by Robert; 01-03-2016 at 04:35 AM.

31. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    Wow - remember when NMB had 10 to 40 posts a day. Sure wish the FB Group folks would come back. I tried to look for something today and it took a while. I prefer the separate sections here.

So - here's a challenge - all the old NMBers post up. And lets here what you been up to.

Me, I'm still riding when I can. Work's been crazy lately. At least once a week. Did a 21 mile ride a few weeks ago at LBL - still one of my favorite places. We hit L4 Thursday and Defeated Creek yesterday. We've retired from racing. Little Caveman is off at college now - TTU in Cookeville.

Steve
    The one thing that is pretty certain in life, is CHANGE. Some is good and some is not so good but change happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts
    I had some time after lunch and went on this site to see if it was still here. I am not a regular FB user, and so my tablet wants me to put in a password every time I use FB. What a pain. I do not use FB at work either. Sorry to report that no riding by me for a year. I go to spin class 3 days a week and work hard, (have done that for 8-9 years) so maybe I can still ride next time I try. I work 8-10 hours each weekend day on my house remodeling. Getting close on the mega project, but unfortunately now I am 3 years behind on my house maintenance. And it shows. Will get some riding in, once I get this bedroom/bath project done and we get moved back in to our end of the house. Glad to see some of my old buddies on here and catch up on what you guys are up to. I have been out of it so long now, there may even be some new trails that I don't know about. Ha.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

34. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Miss you, Bob-bo! Think of you often. Let's slip off to PWP some afternoon!

Gary

36. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    So it sayes glitch as my user name but that's only because I couldn't remember my login info... my old user name was mtnbikeuser11188, I remember you, homer, cooper from Castilian springs, I used to live out there, and sticky. Sorry I've been away I've been a little busy biking across America 3 times lol.

38. The following user says "Thank You" to Glitch for this useful post:

Thanks
    Seriously?!!!

I still miss this being the go-to site.

Gary

Thanks
    renember that little secret jump trail off nolensville pike behind those apartment buildings, kinda towards Brentwood?
    I think it closed down but I would've never found that place if it wasn't for nmb/tmb this is the go to spot!

Thread Information