Thread: Visiting Nashville

Thanks

Visiting Nashville

I am visiting Nashville Feb 8-11th for work. I have a half day off that Friday and would love to go for a mountain bike ride. I am comfortable on pretty much any style of trail, prefer chunky natural single track but will take anything if I am riding in February. Question, are there any bike shops that both rent bikes and are close enough to some trails that I can ride to the trails from the shop? I am staying downtown don't have a rental car but will be taking Uber/Lyft.

Also, will there be trails to ride that time of year? I am coming from the mountains of Colorado and we are buried in snow. Would I be better off renting a road bike and just logging some miles?

Thanks
    Well, first off, howdy. Since you are visiting TN in February, I'll start by answering your last question first as part of answering your question as a whole. When you get here, based on the weather, that's when you need to decide if you're going to rent a mountain bike or a road bike. We may or may not have an open trail at that point, depending on how wet, cold, or warm it's been. If we do have an open trail, they could be a good ways out of town.

As far as chunky natural trail, the closest you'll get around here is Hamilton Creek. But that'll be an intermediate sort of trail coming from CO. Close enough to the shop to ride to? Best bet would be Percy Warner. But that's largely machine built and more flow trail-like than anything else.

I know for a fact that Cumberland Transit rents bikes. I don't know if Grand Fondo Trail does or not, but if they do, an Uber there, rent a bike, it's only a mile or so ride to Percy from there. If push comes to shove, and trails look good when you're here (http://trails.sorbamidtn.org) post up if you want to ride/need a ride to a trail. Most of us local folk are pretty friendly and willing to meet someone at a trail, or maybe even pick them up and give them a ride to a trail.

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Drew is on the money. For clarity, the "trails.sorbamidtn" link is for trail status. For connecting with one of us, post here or join a local FB group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/nashvillemountainbike/) and reach out there. It's been pretty wet lately, along with freeze/thaw. Soils here generally don't hold up well to these conditions, so determines trail access. One trail, Montgomery Bell (45 min. from downtown) is rideable when conditions have been wet, but closes with freeze/thaw.

Hope weather is cooperative when you come. Post up!

Gary

5. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the beta. I will hope for good weather but take what I can get when I get there. I am just happy to ride anything in February!

Thank you for the kind hospitality and I will reciprocate if you ever head west. I have 2 bike parks within 15 miles of my house (winter park & granby ranch).

I will keep an eye on trail conditions as it gets closer and maybe reach out if I need more help.

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to dtimms for this useful post:

Thanks
    Look forward to coming out the second weekend of June. Have a buddy and family who moved to Ft. Collins about a year and a half ago. Last June, 3 of us flew out and rode for 5 days. Pretty unbelievable! Most spectacular and grueling thing I've ever done. There, I discovered that we don't mt. bike here. We hill bike.

See if you're familiar with some of the trails we hit. Horsetooth Mt. and Blue Sky, (Ft. Collins front range area), Hall Ranch and Heil Valley (Lyons), Buffalo Creek (Pike Nat. For.).

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    See if you're familiar with some of the trails we hit. Horsetooth Mt. and Blue Sky, (Ft. Collins front range area), Hall Ranch and Heil Valley (Lyons), Buffalo Creek (Pike Nat. For.).
    Homer, sounds like you hit up some of the best riding in the front range. I have rode Hall/Heil and Buff Creek. I love Buff Creek, you can get a lot of miles in out there and it really spaces out the riders well. Hall/Heil isn't my favorite just due to the crowds I usually run into. But they are good trails. I have not made it up to Ft Collins to ride but hope to hit an enduro race up there this summer. Looks like fun.

I live about 70 miles west of Denver so the front range riding is where I go in the spring. We do have long climbs out here. They can go on and on but it is the elevation that gets most people. My house sits at 8800'. I am very blessed to have singletrack from my door. When you come out again, you need to make a trip or 2 to the high (no pun intended) country to ride some of the epics. There are so many awesome pass rides to hit!

My advice is to not compare your riding to out here. I always think of this Theodore Roosevelt quote - "Comparison is the thief of joy." I hear your trails are awesome! Also, I doubt you have the numbers of people and the trail conflicts that CO has. I do love where I live and ride but it is great everywhere. Just awesome to be outside and having fun.

10. The following user says "Thank You" to dtimms for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms View Post

My advice is to not compare your riding to out here. I always think of this Theodore Roosevelt quote - "Comparison is the thief of joy." I hear your trails are awesome!
    This is actually some of the best mountain biking advice there is regarding trails. I "get tired" of middle TN trails sometimes, and long for the trails back home in the east coast mountains. Then I remember how few places there are to go there where you can have an "easy day" and I think you know, this really isn't such a bad place to mountain bike. Consider there are at least four new trails currently in various planning stages out here, and we really have got a lot of variety. True, our "advanced" trails here can't prepare you for an intermediate ride in CO, but you can hardly expect to go to CO or central VA and be able to ride EVERY DAY for a week unless you're an athlete in top physical condition, while around here, you could easily do that if you planned some of the easier trails for "rest days". It's all perspective, and it's always refreshing to change scenery some, but in the end most trails have their own strong points and qualities, just like people.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    dt, it was great! At Buffalo Creek, we started at the Little Scraggy trail head (I think). As we were prepping, looking at map, etc., a couple of ladies (in there late 60s to early 70s) come riding up after a ride, in their spandex, on full squish bikes, so our host asked for trail recommendations. They suggested going up Nice Kitty, "That's the easiest way up...", then proceeded to help with a loop. Nice Kitty...5 miles from 8,000 to almost 12,000 feet. Lord have mercy, I'm glad they didn't suggest Wild Cat. Ugh. What a humbling climb. Those ladies have my respect. The elevation didn't effect me like I thought it would, being short-winded (like it has when skiing at 12-14K), but man, it blew my legs up. Would recover fairly quickly, but before long, the legs were gone again. After the agony. the descents were unbelievable! 4 and 6 milers, making yourself lay off the brakes. The "kitty litter" soil out there takes some adjusting to. Heil Valley had a way fun run-down, too! It was all great, but in spite of my training beforehand, I was in no way prepared for that kind of climbing. Count your blessings!

Gary

Thanks
    Hey guys, just checking in to see how the trails are looking? I fly in tomorrow but like I said, Friday after 12 is my free time from work. If things are wet, I can just road ride. I am cool with just being on the bike. If any of you have Friday off, we could meet up for a ride and grab some beers at a brewery or bar after? Just throwing that out there. I am looking forward to checking out your great city!

15. The following user says "Thank You" to dtimms for this useful post:

Thanks
    We just had a thunderstorm roll through, and chance of rain most of the day. Friday will be up in the air, it's at least sort of warm for now. You may have to see if you can catch a ride with someone to Montgomery Bell.

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Dtimms
    If you are still considering a mtb ride on Fri afternoon
    Call this # 615 829 3156
    Tim

19. The following user says "Thank You" to TWB for this useful post:

Thread Information