Thread: 29er or 69er-96er?

All trails in the Nashville area, LBL when I can make it
    Thanks

29er or 69er-96er?

A friend brought a full-rigid Haro Mary SS 29er to Chickasaw this past weekend for me to try. After a lap on it, I have to say its the most fun I've had on a bike in a while. My second lap on my geared hardtail felt small and simple compared to that bike, not to mention the burn...nice!

So, the positives to the bike were the single gear and the way that 29-in front tire rolled over the rocky sections at Chickasaw. However, the turning was a little scary. That larger back wheel just sketched out too much for me when I tried to make turns like I usually do.

I've wondered if.....
    (a) A 69er would compensate for that and make turning tighter and more predictable....?
    (b) If I could buy one of these 29ers and just stick a 26" tire on the back and be done with it...?

Any feedback you guys can offer would be cool. I've got the bike for at least a couple more weeks, maybe the whole month. Maybe I'll get used to the cornering.

Here's the Haro and a Kona and Raleigh I'm considering for purchase....

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/mary_ss.php

http://www.konaworld.com/08_unit29_w.htm

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=341
    Graphic designer, design educator, artist...dirtdog.

Thanks
    i know you ride a trek and have never seen a post or heard you complain about it. so have you considered looking into treks 69er?
    they make it in a single speed, a 3X9 hardtail, and a even a full suspension top fuel model. i see nothing but good reviews on it.

not sure if this will help you out, or you have already looked or considered this. i have never personally ridden one, or a single speed for that matter. just bored at work and saw this post and thought i would comment.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ersinglespeed/

good luck with your search.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to bartman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Sounds like someone got bit by the 29er and or SS bug. All of those are great choices also check out the Redline Monocog Flight 29er and the 08 Fisher Rig (a bit more price but comes with a nice suspension fork).

As for slapping a smaller wheel on the 29er frame...hmmm i've never thought of that. usually people stick a 29 wheel on the front of a 26 frame. I guess it would work but you're still gonna be turning pretty slow because the chain stays are stretched way out to fit a big wheel in there. I'd say keep it 29 and ride the heck out of it. You'll get used to the handling. 29ers aren't know for their snappy handling. If you want the snappiest handling 29er you can find compare the geometry of all of them. look for the steepest head tube angle and shortest chainstay length.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Adam

5. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Bartman:

I've seen one of those bikes in person...they are gorgeous! They are out of my budget range for the purpose of this bike, but great eye candy. I, too, have never ridden one.

Just to add to my first post a little....at 5'8" with a longer than average inseam, I'm a short rider for a 29er. I can't imagine being smaller and attempting one.

Just got a quote on converting my hardtail to a SS as well. At around $100, this would be my best budget option. Those shiny new bikes are tempting though. The Raleigh is a friend's bike, and he's asking in the $650-700 range for it.

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Can not speak to all the questions

But if you dropped a 26 wheel on the back it will through out the Geo..

The reason you can (possibly) do it on the front is most frames (26") are for a sus front fork , so you can go ridged and put on a 29" front wheel without a significant movement in Geo ( a Sus front end is higher so it washes out the variance)

C
    Last edited by Paddlechris; 12-03-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 Times in 602 Posts

To put Paddle's words into English...

You can generally put a 29" wheel on the front of most 26" bikes if you move from a suspension fork to a rigid fork. You'll need to measure the axel to crown length of your current bike setup then get a rigid fork that matches that length the closest.

On another note, I recall you were wanting a bike to race cross on in an earlier thread. A rigid 29'er would be perfect. You can run 700c cross tires on it and race cross, run road tires on it and commute, then throw knobbies on and hit the dirt. So if you are on a budget, the rigid two-niner (geared or single) could address both this thread and the cross bike thread, keeping the budget down for both. FWIW
    Last edited by Johnny5; 12-03-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Adding a thought.

9. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks

I'm glad you asked.

I ride both a 29r and 96r.Both rigid. Also Jim Simms and I have done a lot research and experiments with 96r/69r bikes. He owns a Trek 69r and a rigid 29r. The benifit of the 96r is not the 29inch on the rear but is the frame of the 26inch bike. It has shorter chain stays. The shorter chain stays come into play with tight turns and help when you stand and climb on a SS. The steeper the climbs the more the shorter chain stays keep you from spinning your rear tire. So no it is not a good idea to put a 26inch wheel on the back of a frame built for 29inch wheel. Putting a 29inch wheel on the front of a 26inch bike is how you get the benifits of both the 26 inch and 29inch. This is where it gets compilcated.
    Remember this. Everything you do and change on a bike has positive and negivate effect. You can't just take any 26 inch bike and make it a 96r. This changes the bikes head angle and changes how the bikes handles. You need to know a little about bike frames, bike geometry, fork offset, trail and toe over lap. And also you will void the bikes warranty when you make such changes.
    Also the postive of the 29 inch wheel is it gives you the fell of about 1 inch of travel. This is why the 29r is popular with the rigid/hard tail SS crowd. So if you are interested in Rigid SS. Find a 29r rigid SS with about 17-17.5 inch chain stays head tube angle of 71.5-73 degrees. Put some fat tires and comfortabe seat on it and you will have a cheap fun little ride.
    With all this said I have a home built 96r that I love to ride. it is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 26 inch(445mm) White brothers rigid fork on the front with a 29inch wheel. Chain stays are 16.5. fat tires and comfortable WTB seat. The head tube and chain stays are so solidly built on this frame there is nothing you could do to hurt this bike. I have experimented with this bike for many months and now have the setup the same as my Surly 29r KM. I plan to ride this bike at the Snake Creek Gap TT races this winter. Good luck.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Lone_Wolf for this useful post:

Thanks

Cyclocross on a SS....

Johnny5! You totally anticipated a question I had. I am considering doing the Columbia Cyclocross series in January on whatever I end up with.

I've seen/heard of some SS at the cyclocross events. Having a dedicated cyclocross bike is kind of a waste for me.

Thanks
    I race a 26" SS at all the cross races whether there is an SS class or not. It's a ton of fun. No chain drops, no mud mis-shifts, just gear appropriately for the course and you can race just fine. A rigid 29'er would give you the benefit of being able to run cross tires vs wide mtb tires (which kinda suck in the thick grass of most courses)

I've heard great things about that Raleigh you linked to's handling. Just know that of the 3 linked, the Raleigh is non-suspension corrected, so you'll not be able to throw a sus fork on it down the road without messing up the geometry. The other 2 are able to run a sus fork without messing up their geometry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Nice to see another person has gotten to see the fun of a SS!!!

I can't speak for any 29er advice.... but you have options when it comes to 29er with SS and/or geared.

Surly has the Karate Monkey which is more mountainbike than cross-bike and can be run geared or SS and they also have the Crosscheck which is more cross-bike than mountainbike and can be run geared or SS. There is a blurred line between the two.

I think the idea of sharing the bike with cross racing is a great idea! I am planning on ordering a Crosscheck soon and will hopefully be using it for a little of everything; cross, road and maybe trail.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    take a look at the 29er frame on this site. It can be SS or geared and has a lower top tube than most 29er frames.
    http://www.origin-8.com/

http://www.origin-8.com/scout.htm

complete bike pic
    http://www.nationalmountainbike.com/...mber.php?u=528
    Last edited by unosprocket; 12-04-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks
    http://vassagocycles.com/

These look interesting. I've read some positives at MTBR about them and their 'wet cat' geometry. FWIW Namrita O'dea rides one.
    -Dave

Jesus Died and Lived to Tell About It

Thanks

Smile Looking for SS also

I'm looking for a SS also...but at 5'6" a 29 is out of the question for this shortie..thanks for everyones input. If you see a size small 26 anywhere please post..budget is under $1000 and I do want a front suspension ( i think ).
    Joyride
    Trek Fuel 70
    White Honda Ridgleine (aka Snowflake)

Thanks

If anyone is interested in Vassago, call Hodge or Cody at Addictive Cycles

Give Hodge or Cody a call if you wanna try a Vassago, or a Niner, or anything SS, 26, or 29.
    http://addictivecycles.com/
    Phone: 706-658-0329

Joy, a Vassago 29'er rigid would still work for you despite your diminutive stature. It has a very low standover and designed so you ride more between the wheels rather than up above them. I have several 5'7" and under friends riding 29'ers with no height issues.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks

650b, the newest black.

While I'm not much of a new gear/gadget trendy thing chaser, I am a SS'er and have latched on to the newest tire size trend: 650b. Never seen or ridden one, but the concept is solid and the drawbacks of 29 are minimized. And the bike looks better with two same-sized wheels on it.

Bigger than 26, smaller than 29. Much easier to accommodate medium-sized riders. Kirk Pacenti is pushing this thing and has tires, hoops, forks, and some production frames coming--and of course any custom builder can make one. Here's a Dirt Rag article: http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=935

If all goes well, I'll be building some frames for the 650b (when I get rolling in that department) and will be glad to let yall try 'em out. Building a few 26'ers first.

If I was ordering one today, I'd call Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles. He's building some sweet frames. Tell him I sent ya.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 12-22-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks

650b

We have a set of 650b wheels built up here at the shop. Sycip is also making a 650b bike. These wheels will fit on some 26 hardtails but not on FS. To get the geometry right you need to lengthen the chainstays by 1.5cm. The seatstays by 1.0cm and drop the bb 1.0cm.
    This will keep the geometry close to the 26er. It will also allow smaller riders to benefit from the larger wheel and not have a crazy looking super small 29er. It will also be good for the large wheeled FS.

Thanks

Leave it a 29'er

The full 29'er takes a little bit of getting used to however buy one and leave it that way. Having the bigger hoops on both ends is beneficial. Smoother rolling, faster rolling, better traction, etc. are expontially increased when you leave the big hoops on both sides. Been sold on 29 since 02

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Are you sure you want rigid? Ask Jason Glover. I rode a Mary 29 rigid at Long Hunter and it vibrated my arms pretty baddly.

I would not mind a nice 29'er with a Fox fork (80mm). But, I'll stick with what I have.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    We provide the chance to spice up your career and confidence level by passing the test with the assistance of AZ-900 braindumps from on-line exam homework and simply AZ-900 study guide.
    AZ-900 study guide
    AZ-900 online exam
    AZ-900 practice test

Thread Information