Thread: Diamondback Response Comp???

Thanks

Diamondback Response Comp???

Just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on the DB Response Comp? I am looking for a godd hardtail to ride XC around here and came upon one of these and it seems to have great components but its a little heavy, it costs $599. What do you think about the price vs. other bikes in that range? Also I found a good deal on a Rocky Mountain trailhead, anybody have any experience with that Bike??? Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by dcurtis229; 12-17-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtis229 View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on the DB Response Comp? I am looking for a godd hardtail to ride XC around here and came upon one of these and it seems to have great components but its a little heavy, it costs $599. What do you think about the price vs. other bikes in that range? Also I found a good deal on a Rocky Mountain trailhead, anybody have any experience with that Bike??? Thanks in advance....
    It looks like a , decent build (for the price) and very burly. However, if it's xc you're looking for i would look elsewhere. That fork has quite a lot of travel for XC. The long fork, besides soaking up more of the trail, will be very stable going downhill. The downside of this is slower handling and climbing.

If you're looking to ride the trails AND plan on doing drops and jumps then i think the DB would be and excellent choice.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...I'm a believer. If you want the absolute most bang for your buck. Durability, low price, and a all around great ride. Get a steel frame, rigid, 29er, single speed. There are several out there this year and they are great. You are saving big bucks on gears, shifters, cables, and most of all the suspension fork. The big wheels with high volume tires virtually eliminate the need for suspension. The steel frame is solid and provides a smooth ride. Oh yeah it can take a beating too. You never have to change/adjust your cables. it will make you a stronger rider. You'll pick better lines. Have more ride time less fixing your bike time. It will be much lighter than a geared bike too. And be the envy of all of your riding buddies.

Sorry for the . I know you didn't really ask but i just wanted throw that out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Adam

3. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 419 Posts
    This is a GREAT bike and it flies out the door... I'd like to say that this is the bike that has kept specialized in business - but, they have a lot of good bikes!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32233

It should be 3~5lbs lighter(yes!) than that diamond back - not knocking it of course but, have you checked it out on MTBR.com yet..?

And is the place you're buying it from going to offer a break-in tuneup..?

P.S. The only downfall for Rock Mountain is their 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by BigRingTravis; 12-18-2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at
    Trek Store of Johnson City!

AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to BigRingTravis for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    If you want the absolute most bang for your buck. Durability, low price, and a all around great ride. Get a steel frame, rigid, 29er, single speed. ...... You are saving big bucks on gears, shifters, cables, and most of all the suspension fork. The big wheels with high volume tires virtually eliminate the need for suspension.
    You're joking right? Big wheels with a fat tire will compensate for a 4"-5" travel fork?
    Steve Vines
    2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    1994 GT Zaskar

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Fuel for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
    You're joking right? Big wheels with a fat tire will compensate for a 4"-5" travel fork?
    The word compensate is used loosely here, however as long as the terrain isn't too nasty rigid and 29 works just fine. I will go on to say that I prefer a rigid 29er at Lock 4 over my full sussy. Hammy is another story.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    perhaps i overstated the suspension thing. but it does smooth out the ride quite a bit. That's why so many bike builders are selling their 29ers rigid or at least with a rigid option. Haro, Jamis, Redline, Raleigh, GT, Surly Ect...4 to 5 inches it is not but it works quite well and cost much less.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel View Post

I rode a rigid Mary at Longhunter and took the shortest possible loop - My arms were numb. But the smooth sections were awesome. The 29 in SS with a 80 mm Fox (or other good air spring fork) would be a great XC bike.

Check out the Jamis closeouts on JensonUSA.
    Limited sizes and get it in the box (unassembled) - any shop will assemble it $$ or many bikers will do it for the fun of it for free.
    Charlie might get this one this spring http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...l+Bike+05.aspx (25.8 pounds )

Steve

The Rock hopper would be a killer bike too

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    is the place you're buying it from going to offer a break-in tuneup..?????

Thanks
    I have a Diamondback for sell that is 15 inch frame if you know anyone who would be interested.

Thread Information