Thread: Stanky Cowboys 1st Place in Corporate

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Stanky Cowboys 1st Place in Corporate

Hey all -

The Stanky Cowboys, Scott "Gumby Smith", Carl Smith, Kelly "Full Squishy" Benward, Steve "Fugazi" Ferrusi and myself took home the big sprocket yesterday at DSG. Kelly, who had never won anything while mountain biking had always wondered what it was like at the podium and finally got his chance to get there.

As most of you know it rained in the morning, so the first lap was an absolute mudfest. Multiple broken derailleur hangers, clogged wheels and many wrecks on the first lap. Carl Smith did an impressive 1:40 on the first lap, this was in spite of having to stop and clean out the wheel multiple times and having to walk a few of the hills. I was up next with a semi-miserable lap but the course was drying up fast. Fugazi was up next and he came back with very little mud on his bike. Gumby took to the trail and got a flat but finished strong then Kelly on his ultra-light Ellsworth Truth brought in the rear. It was neck and neck with Team NMB for a while, but Carl and Fugazi's 2nd lap clinched it. Carl ended up doing a night lap to bring us to a total of 9 laps.

Hightlights for me -

Scott McConnell got FIRST place in amateur solo single speed! He rode like 7 laps or something and was just a beast all day.

Danno got about 6 laps, maybe more. He just didn't quit. Amazing.

Gary Fisher was looking for a beer so Darryl guided him over to Scott Smith's tent and Gary enjoyed at least a few glasses of Scott's NMB Brew. He sat with us for a few hours and talked bikes, travelling abroad and told us some neat stories. I was impressed by the fact that he would come hang out with us - even though none of us had a Fisher. He was as interested in our stories as we were of his. Great guy.

This year - I won a bike! The irony is - after saying for a long time, "I just don't understand the attraction to the single speed 29r (not knocking it just having trouble seeing that as fun as I would pass people walking up the 911 hill while I'm in my granny gear and pedaling)....anyway, I won a Gary Fisher Rig 29r! I thought it was medium, so figured I would sell it but got home and realized it was a large! So I mounted the bike computer I won on it, put on the Ergon Grips and figured I'd give it a try.

Looking forward to seeing all the pictures that were taken out there. Good times! Grant and Clay did an awesome job putting this event together. Thanks guys!

Tim
    Last edited by Uzzi; 05-04-2008 at 12:59 PM.

2. The following 12 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts

Hooked..?

I couldn't help but notice the LARGE amount of single 29'ers down there, AND I couldn't help but notice how dominant they were!

Congrats on the win!
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

Thanks
    It was certainly a great time... congrads to you Stanky Cowboys!!!

On the 29'r thing... I rode Grants for a little while thursday and felt like a little kid on my first bike! Looking down at that tall tire was kinda weird at first, but it really eats up the terrain... more linear feet per pedal stroke for sure!!!
    Now you gotta figure out your gear ratio, Tim!! Hooray... research!

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Packgrrrl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingTravis View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the LARGE amount of single 29'ers down there, AND I couldn't help but notice how dominant they were!

Congrats on the win!
    Hmm.. I think fastest lap time was on a 26 FS bike. I know Dustin Greer was killing it out there with a 55 minute lap time that was the fastest for a long time on his Titus Racer-X.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

All trails in the Nashville area, LBL when I can make it
    Thanks
    Big congrats, Cowboys!

What a fun weekend!

I think we should start a support group for everybody that started the race with that survival lap. Wow. On the upside, it made me sleep well Saturday night...or maybe that was all of the bourbon floating around the campfire...
    Graphic designer, design educator, artist...dirtdog.

8. The following user says "Thank You" to bikerchickie for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    Congrats to you also Angela. If I am remembering correctly your team won also and you won a new frame.....
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

10. The following user says "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerchickie View Post
    Big congrats, Cowboys!

What a fun weekend!

I think we should start a support group for everybody that started the race with that survival lap. Wow. On the upside, it made me sleep well Saturday night...or maybe that was all of the bourbon floating around the campfire...
    Lots of kudos to those of you who rode the 1st and 2nd laps I was lucky enough to ride our teams 4th and 8th.

"Go Stankies".... What a fun weekend.

-Eric

12. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Jacobran for this useful post:

Thanks

First Lap

That first lap... kicked my hinee.

Didn't kick Tinker's though....
    Terry

'04 Giant OCR3
    '06 Specialized Rockhopper
    '07 Specialized Epic

Thanks
    I was amazed to hear about some of the Pros and the local savages who were able to ride the first lap - all of it without walking. The 2nd lap was impossible to ride. (even though with tubeless and low tire pressure the traction is just ridiculous!) I guess that's the difference between the pros and the rest of us...the can make it work no matter what. I did see a lot of guys go in for a bike change after the first lap. Tinker only had one bike, 26in hard tail in which he seemed to do okay on.

All trails in the Nashville area, LBL when I can make it
    Thanks
    Kelly! Thanks!

Why, yes, I did win a frame! A beautiful Gary Fisher 29er frame signed by the man himself. I also got a photo with him. I was so in shock! It's a 21" frame, though. I'm not sure I'd have the heart to ride it even if it was my size. It's going to Ebay or the classifieds on the board as soon as I come up with a price and get some pics.

Our team did well. As far as I know and according to the race peeps, we were the only 4-woman team and placed 20 out of 25. We had switched some things around that morning thinking there was a women's division and found out later there wasn't. That's what the podium thing was about. Our strongest rider, Ali Elliot, had to leave town after one lap. I got in 2, Hope got in 2, and Ruthie made 1.

That first lap took me something like 2:20. I think Jeff Scott and I were holding a support group meeting somewhere around mile 5. Both of his wheels were clogged and he was just dragging the whole thing through the mud at one point. Some guy ahead of me had his bike across his shoulders.

I kept digging handfuls of clay mud out of my front wheel to make it move. I finally had to lift the front end off the ground and hike, rolling the back wheel, until it would clog. Using the bike for support to hike up hills packed the mud into the wheels further. The mud must've added 10 lbs.

Whew! At least the second lap was 1:33.

Anyway.....back to your regularly scheduled Cowboys thread.
    Graphic designer, design educator, artist...dirtdog.

16. The following user says "Thank You" to bikerchickie for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Congrats Cowboys!! It was a lot of fun hanging out with everyone and seeing everyone having fun! First lap was a killer, but it was character building. I'm pretty good at picking my bike up and carrying it on my back now.... new skill!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

18. The following user says "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Congrats to Stanky Cowboys !! and it was good "comp" with the other NMB team taking second. NMB came away with some of the top swag which was cool to see. Congrats Tim on the new bike and Ron with winning the 29er wheels.

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

20. The following user says "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Hmm.. I think fastest lap time was on a 26 FS bike. I know Dustin Greer was killing it out there with a 55 minute lap time that was the fastest for a long time on his Titus Racer-X.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
    I guess I'm figuring the SS event from Friday... It was the bike to have. I wasn't there Saturday though. Both our guys, Brent and Tanner ran 26'ers.

And Dustin's just fast period - He goes to CT and schools his class on a Remedy66, the dude's a machine!

Anywho, Congrat's on the win!!!
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

Thanks
    Great job guys!! Awesome to see so many from the NMB community up on the podium and having a great time!
    blue skies,

23. The following user says "Thank You" to BikeSwimmer for this useful post:

Thanks

props

Congrats you guys! You deserved it. Than you guys for letting team Da Cul-da-Sac share the bend in the field and Scott for the cold home brew. Uzi, did you sell the 29er yet?
    Taylor Fife
    SORBA/IMBA

25. The following user says "Thank You" to tfife for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tfife View Post
    Congrats you guys! You deserved it. Than you guys for letting team Da Cul-da-Sac share the bend in the field and Scott for the cold home brew. Uzi, did you sell the 29er yet?
    I sold the 29r a few days after I had it. I thought about riding it but I just didn't think I would pass up my 5.5 FRO and ride the Rig. It was a nice bike, I hated to see it stored in my garage instead of being ridden by someone who would enjoy it. Reed Lilley bought it and will be racing it in Sport 30-39.

I enjoyed hanging out with all of you. You were a fun bunch and we all had a great time at the "bend." Glad to see you joined Sorba! Welcome aboard.

Tim

Thread Information