Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Stanky Creek Race Report

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    1,252
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked 870 Times in 414 Posts

    Stanky Creek Race Report

    Thanks to Larry Dunn and everyone who helped put on this race. Until you do a race without burgers and water at the end you have no idea what a treat that is. So, THANK YOU for the burgers and water. Always a bonus.

    What a great trail. If any of you are ever through Memphis, it is definitly worth a visit.

    I did the TT then a full pre-ride Sat. follwed by the XC on Sunday. Added to the bronze clydesdale collection :third: both days.

    Randy Conner and Shawn James had a great one-two race for the clydesdales finishing seconds appart. I think the phrase, "rubbin is racin" would some it up. Wish I could have seen it. We really need to get these things televised. The stories were second hand, but it made for great post race discussion, which is why most of us race anyway.

    My brain went into cruise control on the second lap until a little tree decided to wake me up. I was cruising down a straight way and I swear it reached out and grabbed my handle bar. I went down fast and hard, skidding to a stop in a cloud of leaves and dirt. No one was around so someone missed a really good wreck. Everything was okay, just added to the scars on the left calf. Needless to say, I was awake the rest of the race.

    It was great to meet Tom Spence, thanks for the patient pre-ride of the TT course.

    It was also great to see all the ussual suspects. Caveman, glad you a Charlie were able to make it.

    Just a couple of more races before it is all over.

    Hope everyone made it home safe.

    Would like to hear how the rest of you did. I know Uzzi did well as ussual. I did not see the end of the experts or beginners. Please chime in.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

  2. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:


  3. #2
    Uzzi's Avatar
    Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    3,136
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

    A Ho' Nuva' Leva'

    Larry is a class act who put on a great race. Everything was laid out well, registration was smooth and easy, course was laid out well and everything went smooth. After organizing a race myself, I have a greater appreciation for this than before. Great job Larry and the Stanky Creek crew.

    The course is great for bike handlers - little tougher for the strict roadies who don't MTB often. Steve "Fugazi" Ferrusi and I headed out Saturday morning, via Sun and Ski so we could get his d-railer fixed and dialed in. Darryl dropped everything to help us and got him shifting like a pro. This is reason 68 F why I do business at Sun and Ski. Anyway, we arrive at Stanky Creek at 2:45 and the race starts at 3. A quick call to Larry and we were set, even if we didn't make it on time.

    The time trial was a bit slick since it had just rained that morning. You never feel good doing TT's because you never get calmed down, you just keep going and never recover. You only have 2.5 miles to blow it out, so you can't break, just have to keep pedaling. I beat Jeremy Hall by 15 seconds and took the gold.

    The next day I was out of my routine, didn't eat enough, had no gel, no Heed - just water and a banana. Dumb. Stanky is unique because there are few oppurtunities to pass, so we rode as a train of 6 guys for the first 6 miles or so. It was a game of patience, waiting to see who could hold off the longest before making a move. I wanted to be in position before the fire road so I could get out front, because the guy leading was holding me back. There are no real climbs there, nothing to really separate you from other riders. It's a real game of patience. You must be smooth, turn well, stay off the brakes and pay attention to the details!

    I made my way to the front on the 2nd lap, but I could feel my legs start to cramp every time I stood up to pedal. I knew I was in trouble. I got passed by a rider from Mississippi, whose name is Brad, who eventually won the race. After Brad passed, I was hoping to hold off Jeremy Hall. Jeremy was too strong and I could not shake him. I was bunny hopping logs, railing turns, but I could hear the I-9 hub haunting me and right on my tail. He passed me on the 2nd lap and I couldn't hold on. He rode a great race. Good job Jeremy Hall!

    Ol' Fugazi took it to the Beginner 40 class winning by 1 minute and 45 seconds. He was very proud of his gold medal.

    Tom Spence had some local competition and took 4th in the XC, but got 1st or 2nd in the TT. I believe that was it for Team NMB.

    After the race, I think I ate 5 burgers, a nutty buddy, drank 4 Snapple Ice Teas, a Venti Mocha Frappacino and a Red Bull. After riding on empty, I was glad to get 3rd and as you can read, quite hungry! I am thinking about going for the Michael Phelps diet from now on.

    Uzzi

  4. The following 11 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxvegas
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 122 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

    Randy Conner and Shawn James had a great one-two race for the clydesdales finishing seconds appart. I think the phrase, "rubbin is racin" would some it up. Wish I could have seen it. We really need to get these things televised. The stories were second hand, but it made for great post race discussion, which is why most of us race anyway.
    I swear I didn't hit him on purpose!

    That was the most fun I've had at a race in a long time. Shawn and I were flying thru the white loop on the 1st lap, then on the 2nd lap blue loop I lost my chain and i spent most of the 2nd lap chasing him. I finally caught him on the white loop again and let's just say me sneaking past him didn't work out so well. "rubbin is racin" indeed. I felt awful after Shawn went down but he told me later that his grip came off as he was moving over and that put him right in to me....ooops!

  6. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to clipper for this useful post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    The locals had that place wired, but they do that every year. It is just like Tsali, you show up in great shape and some dreadlocked patchouli smelling stoner shows up in ripped blue jean shorts and blows the decals off your ride. No harm no foul, but they can't get me where I normally stomp so anyway. I managed to catch Beigalski on the third lap from a 5 minute deficit. I caught Gib on lap two. I went into the woods nearly last but securely grabbed last place when I dropped my only full bottle two miles in and watched everyone ride off into the sunset while I went back to find it. The point series is only a four point spread so the rest of the year is going to be interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Thanks to Larry Dunn and everyone who helped put on this race. Until you do a race without burgers and water at the end you have no idea what a treat that is. So, THANK YOU for the burgers and water. Always a bonus.

    What a great trail. If any of you are ever through Memphis, it is definitly worth a visit.

    I did the TT then a full pre-ride Sat. follwed by the XC on Sunday. Added to the bronze clydesdale collection :third: both days.

    Randy Conner and Shawn James had a great one-two race for the clydesdales finishing seconds appart. I think the phrase, "rubbin is racin" would some it up. Wish I could have seen it. We really need to get these things televised. The stories were second hand, but it made for great post race discussion, which is why most of us race anyway.

    My brain went into cruise control on the second lap until a little tree decided to wake me up. I was cruising down a straight way and I swear it reached out and grabbed my handle bar. I went down fast and hard, skidding to a stop in a cloud of leaves and dirt. No one was around so someone missed a really good wreck. Everything was okay, just added to the scars on the left calf. Needless to say, I was awake the rest of the race.

    It was great to meet Tom Spence, thanks for the patient pre-ride of the TT course.

    It was also great to see all the ussual suspects. Caveman, glad you a Charlie were able to make it.

    Just a couple of more races before it is all over.

    Hope everyone made it home safe.

    Would like to hear how the rest of you did. I know Uzzi did well as ussual. I did not see the end of the experts or beginners. Please chime in.

  8. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to faster_cheetah for this useful post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    3,422
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,035 Posts
    We had fun too - just wished we did not have to ride and leave.

    We were somewhat curious about the trail conditions - per Larry, the trail got about 1 inch of rain in 45 minutes on Friday and the creek was 6 ft deep I hope he posts up a picture of it that he showed me. On Saturday, the creek was flowing - but only about 1 inch deep.

    The TT race was somewhat fun - I think I ate too much before the race - got a 3rd out of 3 :third: Two local guys smoked me - I did not get there early enough to pre-ride - but we did the course last year so no surprises. A little slick on some of the roots. I screwed up at the bridge near the end. I went on the left trail (it splits just before the bridge). So, I hit the bridge at an angle. And I slid and whacked my arm on the handrail. Ouch - no mark but it's still sore. This just added to the pain that a tree made for my left shoulder - just grazed it. Man that trail is tight in spots. Charlie got second behind Josh Hix (from Nashville). Carson (WNW was late to the TT and missed it by minutes).

    The XC Race was fun - I swept (fun ride).
    Charlie, Carson Beckett (WNW) and Josh Hix (future NMB Jr) headed out at 8:10 am - around 65 degrees. Absolutely awesome trail conditions - no mud, no dust - just perfect. They hit the trail and Josh (14 years old today and a fairly new rider) took the lead. Carson was 2nd and Charlie trailing behind. With about 3 miles to go, Josh flatted and wrecked twice. So, Carson took 1st and Charlie got another 2nd place (32 points for the weekend ) I think that Charlie is now the points lead by 8 points - another close one. I think that Carson only beat Charlie by 2 minutes - I forgot the exact time difference. I'm going to try and get him to ride more during the week - he just needs to turn it up a little

    We hit the road after some socializing and after 1.5 dogs each. Yum Yum

    Here are a few pics:











    Steve

    PS and interesting Jr Dad tid-bit. All 3 Jr's that raced on Sunday Dad's have the same name - guess what it is?
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

    …but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

    Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

  10. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:


  11. #6
    Uzzi's Avatar
    Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    3,136
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Some Pictures here -

    http://www.stankycreek.com/12hourpics.htm

    and here -

    http://www.rbs-racing.com/Photos.html

    There is a video of Fugazi crossing the creek and the ensuing pile up afterwards. Good stuff.

  12. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Nashville and points beyond
    Posts
    471
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 280 Times in 148 Posts
    Where were all the singlespeed riders? There were only 3 of us for the TT and 4 for the XC.

    I thought it was a great race, great course, perfect organization.

    My last race of the season, now I just have to figure out what gear ratio to run for cyclo-cross season...

  14. #8
    Uzzi's Avatar
    Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    3,136
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

    Results?

    Hey! It's been a week and the results aren't posted yet...just getting a little anxious. EDIT - They are up! Thanks!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 08-27-2008 at 08:59 AM.

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    567
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 760 Times in 280 Posts
    Hey those results are up there now.....Nice win in the TT there Tim....Congrats Charlie on a heaping helping of points for your weekend effort...

    Next time I see Jason Pate, I am gonna give him a big ole pat on the back as he FINALLY beat Francis Fessler (not once, but TWICE)! I am sure he is stoked.....

    Jose Alea

    SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/


  16. The following user says "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:


  17. #10
    Uzzi's Avatar
    Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    3,136
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GRiD View Post
    Hey those results are up there now.....Nice win in the TT there Tim....Congrats Charlie on a heaping helping of points for your weekend effort...

    Next time I see Jason Pate, I am gonna give him a big ole pat on the back as he FINALLY beat Francis Fessler (not once, but TWICE)! I am sure he is stoked.....
    Yeah, Francis is a beast. He had some trouble on the tight single track of Stanky. He's really fast on courses like Montgomery Bell where it's wide open and lots of climbs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stanky Creek conditions.
    By Larry D in forum Upcoming Events - Tennessee
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 01:56 AM
  2. Bump & Grind Race Report
    By twolfcon in forum Photos & Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
  3. Check Point Zero Adventure Race
    By Karin in forum Racing & Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
  4. Stanky Creek
    By Uzzi in forum Bike Trails & Conditions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM
  5. Legend of Stanky Creek TBRA Race Aug 25 & 26
    By Reedly in forum Upcoming Events - Tennessee
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •