Thread: DS&G 2009

Thanks

DS&G 2009

Hey all- looks like DS&G will be May 9, 2009. Let's hope for a drier weekend this time!

Thanks
    Someone had to respond. See you there.

Thanks
    Thanks for the early heads up

Thanks

Woo Hoo!!

I can almost feel the mud sucking at my tires now!

Someone start the countdown, I've got to start training

Thanks

Details to follow on DSG 3.0

All,

We are working the details to make the 3rd installment of DSG better than ever. Expect to hear much more over the next couple months. I can tell you that we've got two new frame manufacturers (think Ti for one, and 29inch Maple Leaves for another) coming to the party as well as some ideas to add a little entertainment to the Friday before the race.

Lot's to be ironed out, but we're excited about where this thing is headed.

Thanks,

Grant

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    SS needs to get a head start on training for their one armed curls.

We'll have a team of as yet unnamed hooligans show up for next years fantastic unparalleled cosmic shindig shenanigans again to fight the elements whatever they be... and to drink beer.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    they have beer there???:wink:

training as I type.

the beer part that is.

and hold on to your_______s (whatever part it is that you hold onto) I'm soloing the thing this year.

Could be 2 laps, could be 6. Probably somewhere between the two. Training never stops!

Oh, and I have to ride some too.
    All days are good, some are even better. -Hank (cyclist)

8. The following user says "Thank You" to WadePatton for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    This year Dirty Spokes is on May 1 -

This is an awesome place to race - some of the sweetest single track I have ever seen. I'm planning on hitting this one this year.

The final race of the season is in Unicoi SP in Helen GA - another awesome place to ride. Oct 10

Both trails are great when wet.

Steve

http://www.dirtyspokes.com/
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    The Webb School Mountain Bike Team will be there for the first time this year!

And it looks like we may get a little friendly competition from some other high school teams! :second:

Looks like I may have to keep my beer drinking to a minimum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post

According to the website, the event is actually May 2. There is a pre-ride on May 1.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

13. The following user says "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have a registration question...can a duo amatuer team register and ride single speed or is that geared bikes only? Thanks!

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post

This is an awesome place to race - some of the sweetest single track I have ever seen. I'm planning on hitting this one this year.

The final race of the season is in Unicoi SP in Helen GA - another awesome place to ride. Oct 10

Both trails are great when wet.

Steve

Caver - Why would you post up in the DSG thread about another race? That's cold man especially when DSG has ALWAYS been a HUGE support of Sorba Middle Tennessee of which you are a board member....what are you thinking?

I currently live in Mount Juliet Tennessee.
    Thanks
    i know Steve didn't mean any disrespect to the DSG folks. please relax, we are all friends here.

Thanks
    But sometimes Steve doesn't think! I'm relaxed Sean, don't worry about me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    last year both races were on the same day - it kept people away from both - just a post to let everyone know that they can do both or neither or one or the other

last year I chose the DSG over DS - since it was a home event.

Tim, you need to do the Dirty Spokes Race - you'd love it

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    I would have to say that yeah...if you want to post up about another race you should use the racing forum instead of the one DEDICATED to DSG

Anyways...DSG rulez so it doesn't really matter....
    Last edited by GRiD; 12-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

21. The following user says "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    I too will be (or at least hope to be) at DSG this year. It's become the "I used to live in TN" homecoming event.

23. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

DSG Website Issue

Anyone know whats going on with the DSG website? I tried to hit it and got "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server." instead of the homepage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
    Anyone know whats going on with the DSG website? I tried to hit it and got "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server." instead of the homepage.
    Were you sure to put the 's' after gearS?

The site loads up for me. At first I forgot the 's' and of course it didn't load. Strangely www.dirtsweatandgear.com is not a website. Should be for us singlespeed folks.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
    Sonney,

Sorry 'bout that! We changed servers during the period that you had your trouble. Should be good to go now.

Thanks,

Grant

Thanks
    18 weeks

okay, where the **** is my bike?
    All days are good, some are even better. -Hank (cyclist)

Thanks
    Is the DSG course open and ready for prerides?

Thanks
    i'm sure it is a little to wet right now. with the rain and freezes it will probably take sometime to dry out.

Thanks
    Yes, I am aware of the wetness. Just wondering if any trail work needed to be done before it was to be opened every third Saturday.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Can't wait for my one lap this year!! And the baby needs a new bike...fingers are crossed!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

32. The following user says "Thank You" to Reedly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    I am pretty sure Sorba is planning a workday down there soon. I will post up once it's for sure what day.
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

34. The following user says "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    can't wait for my one lap also, as long as Tinker doesn't run into me again.

Thanks

DSG in the News!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    January 15, 2009

Moots Cycles Announces Two Year Partnership with Dirt Sweat & Gears
    12-Hour Race Part of USA Cycling’s 2009 Mountain Bike National Ultra-Endurance Schedule

Steamboat Springs, CO (January 15, 2009) – Moots Cycles and Dirt, Sweat & Gears announced today Moots’ two year commitment to sponsor the 2009 and 2010 Dirt, Sweat & Gears 12-hour endurance mountain bike race festival in Fayetteville, TN. Moots crew members will travel the 1,402 miles from their high altitude home in Steamboat Springs, CO to oxygen-rich Fayetteville, TN to partake both as partners and racers in one of the Southeast’s fastest-growing mountain bike events.

Scheduled for May 9, 2009, the third annual Dirt Sweat & Gears (DSG) race is on USA Cycling’s Mountain Bike National Ultra-Endurance Calendar. Last year’s DSG event drew 300 competitors from 31 states and Canada, including pros Nat Ross, Tinker Juarez, Josh Tostado, Rebecca Rusch and Pua Sawicki.

“Moots is psyched to team up with Dirt Sweat & Gears”, said Rob Mitchell, president of Moots Cycles. “Clay and Grant have created a competitive race environment while maintaining a grassroots flavor that allows all participants to be festive in a close, fun and tight-knit atmosphere. It’s an event we feel mirrors a lot of what Moots is about.”

Also known as “The Mountain Bike Shindig”, Dirt, Sweat & Gears is a weekend of activities for competitors, support crew, family, friends and fans. Festivities kick off on Friday, May 8 with a bike-lovers film and the not-to-be-missed 20” wheel nighttime time trial on the infield of the DSG racecourse.

Following Saturday morning’s Kiwanis Club’s Sunrise Breakfast, the 12-hour endurance race (aka the “Main Event”) begins promptly at 9:00 am with a LeMans start. Racers will battle one another and the clock for the next 12 hours over the 10+-mile fast, yet challenging course, gaining 1,500 ft. of elevation per lap.

Pro Men, Women and Single Speed Open classes will complete for an event-high $11,000 cash purse with equal payouts to both Men and Women of $1500, $1000 and $500 for first, second and third place finishes. Amateurs will pedal for more than $15,000 in prizes. Additionally, Moots has donated a mountain bike frame for the DSG raffle grand prize. Each $10.00 donation equals an opportunity to win the Moots frame with proceeds benefiting SORBA to help in their continuing efforts to provide trail accessibility for the Southeast mountain biking community.

“Moots’ pledge allows us to enhance the overall event for 2009 and 2010”, said Clay Higgins, DSG event promoter. “We’re excited to have a company with a rich cycling heritage onboard. We look forward to Moots bringing their one-of-a-kind titanium bikes and Rocky Mountain spirit to Fayetteville. I encourage everyone to come for the race and stay for the weekend!”

Festivities continue throughout race day with live music, a vendor village, random prize drawings and a kid’s race. A bonfire, BBQ and awards ceremony will immediately follow completion of the race. Camping and RV spots are available with port-o-lets, running water, trash collection and recycling.

Dirt, Sweat & Gears is a 12-hour endurance race and weekend festival in Fayetteville, TN. Now in its third year, the 2009 event is scheduled for May 9. DSG hosts 300+ racers from 31+ states. Pro riders compete for an $11,000 cash purse while amateur racers walk away with over $15,000 in prizes including frames and complete bikes. For more information, visit: http://www.dirtsweatandgears.com/.

Moots Cycles, based in Steamboat Springs, CO has been a respected leader in the cycling community for over 28 years. The company is known for hand building the finest quality titanium road, mountain, cross and commuter bikes, select parts and components from its facility in the Rocky Mountains. Moots bikes are enjoyed by cycling enthusiasts worldwide for their unsurpassed ride quality, attention to details and superior craftsmanship. Moots frames and parts are available from high-end specialty bike dealers throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. For more information on Moots, visit: http://www.moots.com/.

So here's the deal, go to: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7162 Donate $10 to support SORBA / IMBA efforts to Build and Maintain our Trails...and get yourself a chance to win a Moots Frame! One chance for every $10 donation. While you are there, you might as well sign up for DSG as well.

BTW, You Do NOT need to be present to win!

Thanks,

Grant

Thanks
    interesting news thanks

Thanks

DSG Update

All,

Thanks to all that have signed up and or made a donation to SORBA / IMBA. We are working hard to get this event rolling and have made some good progress on the schwag front. A few highlights:

• Misfit Psycles is bringing a taste of The Great White North to the land of Jack and Sweet Lucy. Expect some serious laughs and a chance at a sweet Misfit Dissent Frame for one lucky racer. Check 'em out at: http://www.misfitpsycles.com/

• Team Ergon is back with grips for those who jump aboard early. That's right free GP1's for the first 20 SORBA / IMBA Members who sign up for DSG. We've also got an additional 10 grips for those who renew or join SORBA at the big pow wow...oh, and Ergon is throwing a SORBA only raffle for a BD2 pack! http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/index.html

• MMMM...Socks. Not just any sock mind you. Swiftwick Socks. The best socks you've ever worn and a TN manufactured product headquartered in Nashvegas is bringing a pair for all racers. Look for more news and some additions to the party to come from Swiftwick. http://www.swiftwick.com/08/

• NMB...yep National Mountain Bike.com The site we are currently enjoying is bringing the love to DSG. Mr. Reedly himself has stepped up to sponsor the daytime Fast Lap competition! Being a fast fella himself, Reed is throwing $125 at the fastest male competitor and $125 at the fastest female competitor to smoke up the course at DSG. Thanks Reed!

• Now I don't want to get too carried away here, but newly crowned DSG hombre and Director of Race Day Entertainment Tryon F. is working on a couple additions to spice things up at the venue. Rumor is that we are likely to see a PTJ designed pump track before race day. You can also expect a skills course for all you crazy freeridin' nuts out there. Details to follow.

• In other venue news, Clay has just completed the new DSG central command center. We've got new digs onsite with the new barn that will be HQ for the event. I've personally seen this thing and believe me it is plush.

• Moots is bringing the toys! Not only is Moots offering up that magnificent frame, but they will also be on hand the entire weekend with a stable of Ti bikes for demos on Friday and on race day. Feel free to plan on trying one out. It can be for a partial lap, or even an full lap. Either way, you can rest your own steed and getcha some Ti racing in on a Moot's Demo! http://www.moots.com/

We're just getting started. I'll post more as the news arrives, but you can expect a more great stuff from more of our great partners. The best news of all: This whole party and fat tired love fest is all to benefit SORBA / IMBA.

Thanks,

Grant

Thanks
    Thanks for the update Grant.

DS&G just gets better & better!

Before ya know it... it'll be bigger than Bonnaroo.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    Grant,
    Thanks for keeping us posted! It was good to see/meet you again at the SORBA , meeting. I can't wait to get back to DSG for another crack at the course and some good times.
    Did you make it out to Durango yet for the single speed comp? If so, how did it go? (I am the guy that moved here from there you talked to at the meeting).
    Hope all is well and thanks for making DSG something we can all be proud of in TN!
    Taylor Fife
    Taylor Fife
    SORBA/IMBA

Thread Information