Thread: WTB - BMX street/park - used, cheap, etc...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 884 Posts

Talking WTB - BMX street/park - used, cheap, etc...

Ummmmm, I have 'a friend' who is looking for a good cheapo price on a used bmx bike for the local skate parks. He's not too into the bmx racing thing, but more interested in riding it on pavement, ramps, bowls, etc...

He's hoping to pay about $100-150 for the full bike. Nothing special, doesn't have to be pretty. Can be scratched, spray-painted, dinged, whatever - as long as the frame is fairly intact.

Hopefully steel, and burly enough to take some abuse. (For when he crashes, or ghost rides the bike into the bowl to see what will happen naturally)

I'll gladly take his phone calls/emails for him!! Let me know if you see/hear anything!!

615-517-02four6
    reedly@comcast.net
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

2. The following user says "Thank You" to Reedly for this useful post:

Thanks
    you sure this isn't for you. Kelly told me you guys stayed and rode until almost 6. jeez...

tuesday morning maybe, 7am?
    Nashville Bicycle Lounge
    Ride Local? Buy local.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to -dan for this useful post:

Thanks
    Shhhhhhh....!! LOL

Of course not - it's obviously for a friend!! Why on earth would I buy a bmx bike!? I mean, what's fun about the skate park when you like pumptracks, jumping, techy riding, etc!!??! LOL

Okay, okay -- I MUST find a bmx bike. The "other" guy we rode with that day is getting into it too -- so why not? As cheap as it is - might as well try it out!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    Reed...check it out....this might work

http://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/874199142.html

7. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Jacobran for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 718 Posts
    I found something that might work

http://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/874463755.html

Thanks
    I'm thinking more like this...
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/874494390.html

Really though, if you find one, make sure it has 14mm front and rear axles. If it has pegs, make sure it takes a 19mm socket to get the wheel off. Good luck.
    Nashville Bicycle Lounge
    Ride Local? Buy local.

10. The following user says "Thank You" to -dan for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -dan View Post
    I'm thinking more like this...
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/874494390.html

Really though, if you find one, make sure it has 14mm front and rear axles. If it has pegs, make sure it takes a 19mm socket to get the wheel off. Good luck.
    Why do our bikes cost more than stuff like this?

Thanks
    Man, I'm seriously considering my bmx bike, (since I decided I like mtb's a whole lot more), but it will be more expensive than what you are wanting to pay. The stupid thing is basically brand new though. I think I'm about to list it on Craigs List and see what I find.

Getting into other bikes huh? I have no idea what that feels like! Even awesome BMX bikes are cheap though!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    Why do our bikes cost more than stuff like this?
    Bigger wheels, bigger frames(using various different materials...most BMX bikes are made of cromoly), and most importantly, I've never, ever seen a true BMX bike with suspension.

Man, I'm seriously considering my bmx bike, (since I decided I like mtb's a whole lot more), but it will be more expensive than what you are wanting to pay. The stupid thing is basically brand new though. I think I'm about to list it on Craigs List and see what I find.
    (no offense Reed, but)....
    There's very little you can do on a BMX bike compared to what you can do on a mtn. bike. Try to ride HC on a BMX bike and see what happens. Try to ride one at WINDROCK and see what happens. Heh heh. You could theoretically ride one down a smooth slopestyle course, but you wouldn't have the suspension to absorb the huge impacts of the landings.
    Let's compare two things that BMX bikes and mtn bikes do have in common...dirt jumping. Even then, a guy blasting tricks on a DJ looks much more impressive than a dude DJ'ing on a lighter, smaller more flickable BMX bike.
    I just wish they would come out with hollow headsets and rotors so you could do bar spins, truck-drivers and tail whips like you can on BMX bikes. I'd also love to see axle pegs so you can grind down rails and such.
    Rail grinding on a BMX: That's pretty cool
    Rail grinding on a MTN bike: OMFG, that's totally awesome!!!
    -'07 Transition Bottlerocket
    -'03 Rocky Mountain Edge (in pieces awaiting paint job and overhaul)

Jump it off something, onto something, or over something.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    LOL!! Rest assured Mike -- I won't be getting rid of the mountain bikes!! Just wanna give the little bmx bikes a try at the skate park to see if I can make it as fun as they look when other people ride them!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB_mike View Post
    Bigger wheels, bigger frames(using various different materials...most BMX bikes are made of cromoly), and most importantly, I've never, ever seen a true BMX bike with suspension.
    The link was to a 250 Motor Cycle.. and it was like $1,600 and you can get upwards of $1,000 on a BMX bike.. been there done that..

(no offense Reed, but)....
    There's very little you can do on a BMX bike compared to what you can do on a mtn. bike. Try to ride HC on a BMX bike and see what happens. Try to ride one at WINDROCK and see what happens. Heh heh. You could theoretically ride one down a smooth slopestyle course, but you wouldn't have the suspension to absorb the huge impacts of the landings.
    Let's compare two things that BMX bikes and mtn bikes do have in common...dirt jumping. Even then, a guy blasting tricks on a DJ looks much more impressive than a dude DJ'ing on a lighter, smaller more flickable BMX bike.
    I just wish they would come out with hollow headsets and rotors so you could do bar spins, truck-drivers and tail whips like you can on BMX bikes. I'd also love to see axle pegs so you can grind down rails and such.
    Rail grinding on a BMX: That's pretty cool
    Rail grinding on a MTN bike: OMFG, that's totally awesome!!!
    I think some BMX riders are awesome.. very talented and can pull crazy tricks.. they can do things we could never do and the bikes do help them out (being small) but to your point I have seen a BMX bike at Hammy and he seemed fine not much different than a SS MTB..

Now for bar spends you can do them with hydro's and MTB's - first you get the hollow top cap and bolt for the front brake run it through the steerer and out the bottom then you get This from Trick Stuff.. a hydro rotor for MTB's more here

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    The link was to a 250 Motor Cycle.. and it was like $1,600 and you can get upwards of $1,000 on a BMX bike.. been there done that..
    Oh I agree there. I've seen low-end Schwinn and GT BMX/freestyle bikes for between $200-$400.

I think some BMX riders are awesome.. very talented and can pull crazy tricks.. they can do things we could never do and the bikes do help them out (being small) but to your point I have seen a BMX bike at Hammy and he seemed fine not much different than a SS MTB..
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you totally, and was in no way knocking BMX riders. Dave Mirra is one of my favorite X games athletes. But they do have a certain advantage with the smaller, flickable bikes. It would be like a new Nissan GT-R trying to keep up with a Mini Cooper on a small, tight curved course. Mini has the advantage by nature.

Now for bar spends you can do them with hydro's and MTB's - first you get the hollow top cap and bolt for the front brake run it through the steerer and out the bottom then you get This from Trick Stuff.. a hydro rotor for MTB's more
    That's good to know. I've seen those types of gyro assemblies. Although I like the ones like this, that allow for two brake cables:

This would cover both brake cables, and since I'm only running a rear D On the BR, the hollow stem would be where the shifter cable went through.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Mod
    Thanks
    That's good to know. I've seen those types of gyro assemblies. Although I like the ones like this, that allow for two brake cables:

This would cover both brake cables, and since I'm only running a rear D On the BR, the hollow stem would be where the shifter cable went through.
    THe two is still for the rear break the old cable versions from ACS called "Rotor" used one cable and would break all the time as when you pulled the lever it pulled the unit at an angle effectivly going back and forth till the cable broke.. The Gyro splits the rear cable and brings it back to one so it pulls even.. all of these systems run the front down the steerer.. as for Der.. that is another issue sounds like you need a SS??? you would have to pull so much cable it would never work.. Chase and those guys from what I have sen either go SS or use a long cable and let it wrap that is what I did on my Mob and it worked fine.

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    ....Anyone got a decent bmx street/park bike they'd like to sell?

Oh, and If I ever build up another dirt jump bike- I'll definitely be looking into the gyro set up!! Thanks for the info guys.
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    I just picked this up. If I really start riding a ton I will upgrade to a nicer bike.

2003 HARO F3

Last edited by cooper58; 10-14-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Dibs!!!

You might as well go ahead and put an order in for a new one Chris!! No need to wait!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    Nice bike Chris but definately too big for you. You need to sell it immediately to Reed.
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

23. The following user says "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    I concur exhaustively, or thoroughly, or altogether, or intensively, or completely!! Good call Not-so-squishy-anymore!!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

25. The following user says "Thank You" to Reedly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedly View Post
    Dibs!!!

You might as well go ahead and put an order in for a new one Chris!! No need to wait!
    Congratulations on your find. You're not going to try to put and ride clipless pedals on THAT, are you?

LOFL

You should come try that BMX out at the Ewok Village. It would be a first out there.

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedly View Post
    Sweet! You need to get that and put nitrous on it.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

29. The following user says "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Here's some inspiration for you Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCiIOTlgpE
    (except ensure you wear a helmet if you try this)

Oh, and pay special attention to the roof drop at around 2:17.

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post

where are your pegs?

nice wheels... 32 spokes aren't good enough for ya now huh?!?
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    where are your pegs?
    That's the question I want to start asking mtb fork and frame manufacturers (at least 'where are your provisions/mounts for pegs?'). If you can grind a BMX bike down a handrail, why not a DJ/SS bike????

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    That's the question I want to start asking mtb fork and frame manufacturers (at least 'where are your provisions/mounts for pegs?'). If you can grind a BMX bike down a handrail, why not a DJ/SS bike????

DMR and .243 racing frames can have 14mm dropouts, which will allow pegs. The DMR Trailstar is actually a good option for DJ Dual Slalom, park, etc. if that is what you are looking for.
    Nashville Bicycle Lounge
    Ride Local? Buy local.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -dan View Post
    DMR and .243 racing frames can have 14mm dropouts, which will allow pegs. The DMR Trailstar is actually a good option for DJ Dual Slalom, park, etc. if that is what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the info. But I was talking more about peg companies making their pegs to fit existing bikes and frames, not the other way around.

I bought a Bottlerocket a few months ago, and plan on putting a Domain 318 fork on it. I also plan on running a rear D on it.
    So what I'm trying to say to peg companies...
    make pegs that will fit on that frame, the way I have it currently set up, w/o having to make any adjustments to it whatsoever. Is it really that difficult and expensive to do?
    We've been to the moon. We have built supercomputers that can do billions of calculations a second, but we can't make axle pegs for mtn bikes?

Now, I understand that pegs that would it on the BR the way I have it set up would not be like normal BMX pegs. Given the disc brakes on one side and the derailleur on the other, I'm sure mtb grind pegs would need some sort of flange on them to protect the rotors, d-railers from damage from the pipes/rails you grind on. But I also think it's quite feasible.

-Ronald Reagan

Mod
    Thanks
    Some people do it mostly on DJ SS - they fashion their own axle at the standard.. you COULD NOT use a QR axle it would have to bolt on, you would bend your rotors and break your Der unless you (as you said) could come up with a guard - BMX bikes have guards to protect teeth on the FW..

Anyway here are a few:

This one has a guard... to protect the spokes... notice it is bolted to the disk wholes on the hub..

I think your issue is mostly the rear... now if you went rim brake and grinded on the non drive side you would be good to go with a through axle bolt.. but trust me from my BMX days you want teh large axle 14mm or bigger I used to bend the "regular 8 - 10MM ones all the time..

C

SORBAMIDTN

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thread Information