Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: local freeride

Thanks

local freeride

has anyone done in local freeride, not a couple hours away i mean local, looking at a terrain map it seems to be some empty hill in the area, the back side of tiger hill, short mountain, mount eagle, i know there trails on mount eagle, but im talking close, park one car at the top another at the bottom and hope you come out some where close on the bottom, im itching to give it a shot, anywhere else i might look on the map , im in mboro

2. The following user says "Thank You" to wannaride for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but there is no free land in this day & age... all land is owned by someone.
    Might be a good idea to find & talk to landowners before you start blasting down their hills.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    i agree with the fact there is no free land left out there, i guess i am just looking for something new to ride, im tired of riding singletrack that all looks the same, or maybe i just have the rainy winter time blues

Thanks
    Hey wannaride,

My friend Kenny and I have a bike park we are building on his two acre lot in Mt. Juliet. You are welcome to come out and ride when it's not a marsh (like it has been due to all the rain).
    But if you'd like to come out one weekend and help us continue to build our stunts while the weather is nasty, you are more than welcome to do that too; we could sure use it.

One place you can also consider is Hurricane Creek Park in Cullman, AL. Chris Holstien (paddlechris) and I went down there earlier this summer. It's quite a neat place. It has a cool little freeride section, which has had some elements constructed since we've been down there.
    It also has some nasty downhill sections and some pretty gnarly climbs as well.
    If you want to see some pics of Kenny's place, go to mtbr.com and find the Insane Stunts thread (should be in the DH/FR forum). All the pics by rmb_mike in that thread are mine.
    PM me if you'd like some more details.
    Edit: NM, I went and found the thread. Here is the link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=insane+stunts

But yeah, like wolfcon states, this area is unfortunately dominated by cross-country riders and racerboys who have shown little or no support for the FR scene. At least six XC trails and NO public FR trails or parks in this area is a good indicator of that.
    Last edited by RMB_mike; 12-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    -'07 Transition Bottlerocket
    -'03 Rocky Mountain Edge (in pieces awaiting paint job and overhaul)

Jump it off something, onto something, or over something.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

6. The following user says "Thank You" to RMB_mike for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 602 Posts
    Welcome wannaride.

While there aren't built up dedicated free ride trails like you'd find in BC, there are some areas not far from Nashville where you can have a little freeride fun. Being the the 'boro, you should be able to find a rider or two to show you some.

While not a shuttle run, there are a few gnarly, long, rocky, steep descents off the mountain at Franklin State Forest, and several rock gaps and drops that lean more towards all-mountain/freeride than the typical Nashville area trail. Even Sewanee has sections to session with big penalties for failure.

Windy Gap and Tibbs (about 3 hours away in North GA) offer some shuttle run fun. Mulberry Gap (cabins and food) even offer shuttle service when you stay there.

Knoxville even has some offerings and I believe Raccoon Mountain as a freeride section, or freeride-esque.

Heartbreak Ridge and Farlow Gap in Pisgah can be ran as shuttle runs. Big hit bikes, full armor, and full face helmets. Though us "racer boy" types usually just race them on rigid singlespeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by RMB_mike View Post
    this area is unfortunately dominated by cross-country riders and racerboys who have shown little or no support for the FR scene. At least six XC trails and NO public FR trails or parks in this area is a good indicator of that.
    While there aren't any dedicated free ride trails or parks, what we have weren't just built by racerboys. They were built by passionate enthusiasts who struggled and fought to get permission to even construct the trails in the first place.

After construction, races naturally occurred to help in part fund the maintenance/creation of the trails, inspire new riders to come out, and to basically be fun.

I wouldn't be so quick to snap at those cross country riders and racerboys. There are a few projects in the works that if they come to fruition (lots of red tape at the moment) you might just be singing a different tune.

This board may seem more cross-country/racer biased, but it's not representative of the entire area. The thing is though, no trail, freeride or XC, was ever built by belittling the other guy. Everyone needs to work together and build rider numbers up in order to get our voices heard by those with the authority to allow such trails to be built.

8. The following 18 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    rmb mike sounds fun, i work every saturday, i am off tuesdays and sundays, and i get off at 4 through the winter, would love to help build , also have access to some 2 foot 2x4' s probably 50 to 100 of them maybe able to get more last time a got a whole pallet, there not pressure treated but they are free. i can help and ride pretty much any tuesday, sundays have to ask the wife so i will need to know ahead of time,
    im going to cleveland for christmas to the inlaws, and they live 12 miles from rays so i im looking forward to riding it, but when i get back i will be stocked and ready to build and ride for sure

Thanks
    Knoxville even has some offerings and I believe Raccoon Mountain as a freeride section, or freeride-esque.
    I've already asked Travis about that. He said it's not really a FR trail, moreso a glorified XC downhill section. And if that's the case, then just go to Windrock.

While there aren't any dedicated free ride trails or parks, what we have weren't just built by racerboys. They were built by passionate enthusiasts who struggled and fought to get permission to even construct the trails in the first place.
    Funny how none of that has been mentioned here as of late. And as a SORBA member myself, I have received NO information whatsoever from Darryl about any skills park. All I hear is 'we're gunna do this' or 'we're working on that'.

After construction, races naturally occurred to help in part fund the maintenance/creation of the trails, inspire new riders to come out, and to basically be fun.
    Yeah, in creation for more XC trails.
    Show me any new information that has come out within the last 30 days concerning a designated skills park or trail on this website, and I'll be quiet.
    If you can answer these questions (ones I've asked more than once before with no solid answer(just vague ones) with specific, non-vague answers, I'll be quiet:
    -Do we have the land procured for a skills park?
    If so, what is keeping us from building?
    If not, what is keeping us from procuring a spot/lot/section?
    -Do we have authority from Metro Parks (or governing body) to build stunts.
    If so, what's keeping us from building.
    If not, what is keeping them from giving us permission?
    -Do we need funds to build a skills park?
    If so, what's keeping us from holding a fundraiser (for it and only it)?
    If not (and we have funds, permission and land), what on earth is keeping us from commencing?

IIRC, didn't the new Metro Parks lady (can't remember her name) revel at the idea, construction and success of the skills section at the HC FTF? Why have we not 'built' on that? Or if we have, why has there been no mention of it on the website?

I wouldn't be so quick to snap at those cross country riders and racerboys. There are a few projects in the works that if they come to fruition (lots of red tape at the moment) you might just be singing a different tune.
    Like I said, very little mention of that around here. You would think that there would be given the scope of something like that.
    You also mention that this XC trail has these little things here and that XC trail has some stunts here and there; they are still XC trails. Concerning the type of trail/park/section I would like to see, those are not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a designated FR trail, park or a designated FR section branching off one of the current XC trails (kinda like Hurricane Creek has XC trails but also its own FR section).

This board may seem more cross-country/racer biased, but it's not representative of the entire area. The thing is though, no trail, freeride or XC, was ever built by belittling the other guy. Everyone needs to work together and build rider numbers up in order to get our voices heard by those with the authority to allow such trails to be built.
    I'm sorry you can't see the obvious lack of FR support around here. If there is, they keep it to themselves very well; when they should be posting up on here. They need to be showing their support if they are supporting it, as I interpret their silence as a lack thereof.
    And as far as belittling goes, I feel that the fact that the 'higher ups' and 'decision makers' taking their sweet *** time with this is belittling in itself. And even if I'm interpreted as being belittling, at least I'm doing something about it. The Ewok Village would not exist if I had kept quiet and didn't do anything. So IMO, an aggressive stance on this is better than a silent one.
    You may catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but if you take no action, you won't be catching ANY flies.
    You can ask Holstien and Spencer both; both of them have had to deal with red tape b/s from the procrastinating bureaucrats.
    And IIRC Holstien even stood up and called out one of them for telling him one thing (concerning a skills park a few years ago) then turning around and renegging on what she said.
    I'm not aggravated at the XC crowd per se. *
    It's more of the bureaucrats that are getting on my nerves.
    Darryl told me last year that we have the land for it, just not the funds. Ok then, let's do a fundraiser. Believe me, if/when they start holding fundraisers for a designated skills park (and not one of the current 27 XC trails we already have here) then I guarantee you I will be the first in line to volunteer my services to make that happen.

*the only thing that gets me about the XCers is their apparent lack of support for any FR trails. They may very well support it, but they definitely don't show it on here. You don't believe me, go find all the 'work day' and 'ride day' threads here. How many of them are for FR trails? NONE. You know why? Because we don't have any FR trails here.

I've asked for help when I first started into this, even before I got irritated at the lack of support. Even then I recieved minimal help, from what everyone here could have provided.
    In addition, I also had to deal with setbacks, like the 2007 LH FTF. I had every plan to bring a skills section to that one like we had at the HC FTF this year. I was told for two weeks straight that it was a go, only to be told three days before it started that we couldnt' set one up there. I don't know anyone who wouldn't have been angry about that.
    Also, an established FR park would also discourage riders from building stuff on land that isn't theirs.

I guess I'm just more aggravated about the lack of updates or news (if there are any). I'm also aggravated at why this is still an issue.
    I'd like to know what's keeping this from going forward, or if it is, I'd like to be kept posted about it.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

11. The following user says "Thank You" to RMB_mike for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey man, I realize where you are coming from. However, I feel there are better ways to channel your energy towards getting what you want, than venting on every thread that somewhat relates to the subject. Maybe you should organize a group (no offense, but your replies in this thread are not an effective way to go about that) who are primarily interested in FR, get some collective ideas, then make yourselves heard at every Sorba function possible. There is certainly strength in numbers. There are XC trails being built because of the hundreds of folks in the area interested in XC that put their energy to making things happen in that arena.

Just some thoughts, take em or leave em...

13. The following 13 users say "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 602 Posts
    If not (and we have funds, permission and land), what on earth is keeping us from commencing?
    Liability, insurance, the litigious society we live in, lack of time (since no one does this full time without jobs, families and other responsibilities), myriad other reasons I'm sure.

You also mention that this XC trail has these little things here and that XC trail has some stunts here and there; they are still XC trails.
    I understand this and what I stated in my original post to the OP is: "While there aren't built up dedicated free ride trails like you'd find in BC, there are some areas not far from Nashville where you can have a little freeride fun."

I was just trying to offer up some solutions where the OP might have some fun. No where did I state those were Freeride trails.

I also acknowledged the lack of freeride trails/parks:
    "While there aren't any dedicated free ride trails or parks"

Concerning the type of trail/park/section I would like to see, those are not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a designated FR trail, park or a designated FR section branching off one of the current XC trails (kinda like Hurricane Creek has XC trails but also its own FR section).
    This may happen. Then again it may not. But the mere fact that it is even being considered is pretty amazing and shows people are putting forth an effort to support freeriding in the area. There are also other opportunities on the horizon, none of which I feel I have the authority to disclose.

15. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    well sorry if i started sh** but this is one of the main reasons im not a sorba member politics, its all politics, rmb mike, you want to build i help, give me a time and a place, and i could probably bring at least a few more sets of hands, i dont have land or money, but im willing to work

Thanks
    Hehe, well Wannaride, the answer, (as you're already heard), is that there isn't all too much right this second in the form of a full on freeride trail or park in the Nashville area. The good news is that we have a building group of riders who are interested in this type of riding, and that will eventually result in some more aggressive riding here. There are projects being looked at to build freeride trails, but, like everybody has already said, there is a lot of red tape to get through first, so keep your fingers crossed, and join us at any open SORBA meetings to make your voice heard! (Also feel free to email and talk to board members any chance you get!)

The best news is that if you would like to ride world class downhill and freeride trails, you can join us on a trip to Windrock anytime! Even though we don't have everything that we would like right in our area, (yet), we have SO much cool stuff relatively close by!

On top of that I'm always building little stunts to play on, (so when you ride the hairy stuff you are ready for it!), at The Webb School, which isn't far from us, so give me a shout if you want to get in on that sometime!

PS - I just read you last post, (that you must have been writing when I was writing this one), and, at least to me, the bottom line is this. There are politics in everything, and the only way you get what you want is to get in there and get involved! I HATE politics in general and have a hard time dealing with them, but when you have thousands of people who want completely different things, it creates politics. The great thing is that even though SORBA is often bashed for things that usually didn't do, they are constantly working to build new trails for us to ride! I can't dislike any organization that is doing that!!
    Last edited by TryFour; 12-16-2008 at 05:55 PM.

18. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to TryFour for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Wanna Ride -

Hamilton Creek has some pretty decent features but does require some pedaling. There is a "downhill" trail that has been marked and corridor cleared, and could be a future project to be completed. And Mr. Pullins - you have to be fair in your assessments. Even Tommy Hatcher, once aware of the need and desire for this type of riding, sought out and included some natural drops and elements into his trail design at Hamilton Creek. The area known as the "Triple Op Drop" was 100% his doing. In addition. Scott Smith has also created a new section within the last year nicknamed "5 drops" that contains the best "drop" run we have in the area and is pretty fun. Both these gentleman are not what I'd call freeriders and they have included features that go beyond your typical XC. There, now that is settled.

If you wanna the big stuff, RMB Mike delivers - even if his BR somehow makes it into all his posts... (Mike you know I love you..in that special way.)
    Last edited by Uzzi; 12-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.

20. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey wannaride,

Darryl ha been working with Metro, Longcane, and the Army Corp of Engineers since last year to get HC improved AND include a downhill section. A great deal of red tape that none of us are happy with. Make yourself known, volunteer, and stay with SORBA. Everyone is working on it, we are just trying to work through it.
    Kris

'05 Marin Mill Valley
    '06 Marin Wolf Ridge

"Those who forget their past are destined to repeat it" - Santayana

http://www.blueheavenrental.com Florida Panhandle vacation spot.

22. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Jugodrax for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Liability, insurance, the litigious society we live in, lack of time (since no one does this full time without jobs, families and other responsibilities), myriad other reasons I'm sure.
    Thad - good news! Most of this has been overcome, at least by Metro. After having the skate park for so many years without incident, they are over their original objections. Lisa King even gave Sorba the go ahead to build an element over a large tree at Hamilton Creek. Darryl and I even went and measured, scouted and designed the element but when I was laid off, my focus shifted and the holidays snuck up on us. This would be a great winter project. That can still happen - the green light is there. So for all you guys moaning (me included - but hence moved so someone will have to build it for me to ride when I visit) here is your big shot. Go build something at Hamilton Creek. Word.

24. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts

Funny how none of that has been mentioned here as of late. And as a SORBA member myself, I have received NO information whatsoever from Darryl about any skills park. All I hear is 'we're gunna do this' or 'we're working on that'.
    I have been working on a AGGRESSIVE freeride park for a few weeks now. I have met with a developer and this is still limited to an "idea" not a true project yet, even though we have a possbile site. LOL...since i got bashed a bit in this thread I will keep the rest to myself until I feel the need to share.....LOL.

Sorry things are not moving at the pace you perfer Mike, but we have gotten a lot done this year. MANY projects are ACTUALLY working RIGHT NOW! The 80/20 rule is killing me!

26. The following 11 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaride View Post
    this is one of the main reasons im not a sorba member politics, its all politics
    That's kind of the point, really. SORBA gives us a political voice. We don't get anything (land, stunts, etc) unless some govenment body approves it. The more members we have the more the politicans will take us seriously.
    Sean O'Neill

28. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Oney for this useful post:

I currently live in Mount Juliet Tennessee.
    Thanks
    Dirtdog has been working like a dog both on SORBA and at Sun and Ski. Next year, there is a group of us ,that have volunteered to help our local SORBA chapter greatly improve its communications, organization, and direction. You will see our names pop up when the elections are held. There are a bunch of opportunities for things and we just need some SORBA unity to help manage the load effectively.

For the record, I am a pure XC guy but I will 110% support free ride projects and skills parks. Heck, maybe my kids would want to get into that type thing.

Just hang in there!

30. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to encyclopediabrown for this useful post:

Thanks
    Very Exciting! With all the new energy, trails and land management relationships we will indeed have a great year! Thanks for the good Thread and dialogue.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    This sentiment is a catch 22:

"I wish SORBA would do more. That's why I won't join them."

Like Sean said, there are going to be politics involved in anything related to building trails, whether it be for a greenway, an xc trail, a dirt jump park or a freeride park. If you're trying to avoid politics but also see results, well I think you'll have to wait quite a while. Seems like some people wish that other people would deal with the politics and just let them know when the park is open for business. In all, that sentiment isn't that bad, but I just don't like it when people complain about a lack of progress and then also don't want to help out.

SORBA may not be perfect and there may be some things in the organization that you don't agree with, and that will probably always be the case. Look at the government. Most people like to feel involved in the government (by voting etc), but I'm sure there are decisions being made everyday that everyone doesn't like or agree with. Are you going to shun all government because you don't like the politics involved?

SORBA is here to help us all deal with the politics and help show the powers that be that we can be organized and streamline our goals. I urge everyone to come and help be a part of it!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

33. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I have been working on a AGGRESSIVE freeride park for a few weeks now. I have met with a developer and this is still limited to an "idea" not a true project yet, even though we have a possbile site. LOL...since i got bashed a bit in this thread I will keep the rest to myself until I feel the need to share.....LOL.
    No. Please share. That's one of the main reasons for my beef with all this.
    I understand all the pains and gripes and was directing it more towards the bureaucrats rather than all of you guys per se.
    All I would like is for you to keep us posted, even it it's just a small morsel of an update. And, as much as I've offered my help on this issue, I would have figured you would have posted something to that effect or have let us known. If things are in motion, yet there has been no mention of it on here, I kinda feel left out of the loop. Believe me, I'm about ready to jump out of my skin in anticipation of being able to help get this rolling.
    Or have you been quiet about this because none of our services are needed quite yet?

Sorry things are not moving at the pace you perfer Mike, but we have gotten a lot done this year. MANY projects are ACTUALLY working RIGHT NOW! The 80/20 rule is killing me!
    Like I said, it's not so much the pace per se, it's the lack of information. I'll be quite a happy camper if you just keep us informed of stuff going on (where FR/skills parks are concerned), and let me know whenever you need any help.

Oh, what's the 80/20 rule? I thought that was a type of mortgage loan. LOL

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks

All I would like is for you to keep us posted, even it it's just a small morsel of an update.
    Mike, the problem with that is when one gives out info about a project that isn't completely confirmed yet, people get excited then start getting restless when the red tape slows down the process.
    Then the people involved in the process are bogged down with excessive amounts of questions like "is this still going to happen?" "What's going on with this?" "I thought this was a done deal!"

The Hammy/Long Cain project for example.
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

36. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks

I'm gone, now you can all join Sorba.

Since I am no longer a part of Sorba Middle Tennessee (due to a recent move) all those bitter people who stayed out of the club just because of me should now be flocking to www.sorba.org to join or re-join the club.

I nominate RMB Mike as Freeride Director.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    I understand all the pains and gripes and was directing it more towards the bureaucrats rather than all of you guys per se.
    All I would like is for you to keep us posted, even it it's just a small morsel of an update. And, as much as I've offered my help on this issue, I would have figured you would have posted something to that effect or have let us known. If things are in motion, yet there has been no mention of it on here, I kinda feel left out of the loop. Believe me, I'm about ready to jump out of my skin in anticipation of being able to help get this rolling.
    Or have you been quiet about this because none of our services are needed quite yet?

Like I said, it's not so much the pace per se, it's the lack of information. I'll be quite a happy camper if you just keep us informed of stuff going on (where FR/skills parks are concerned), and let me know whenever you need any help.

Oh, what's the 80/20 rule? I thought that was a type of mortgage loan. LOL

This is not meant to sound ill spirited, but technically, this is not a SORBA web site or an official SORBA thread. Us SORBA members do happen to hang out here and mull over all the things we love about biking and the things we'd like to see happen.

I can't speak for Daryll or the rest of the SORBA board members, but I'm sure you could call them anytime and they would be more than happy to inform you what is in the works.

The SORBA board members can be contacted at the links to their email address' on the SORBA web site.
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/
    Last edited by Taco-Tim; 12-17-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

39. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Taco-Tim for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tva448 View Post

The SORBA board members can be contacted at the links to their email address' on the SORBA web site.
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

In retrospect ... now that I'm out of the loop, can I say for all of us that I'm a little worn out on Sorba being beat up because there is no freeride scene? Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

41. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Don't we already have a thread about your chest? No more pictures please.

43. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to jtbrill632 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebrainmaniac View Post
    Mike, the problem with that is when one gives out info about a project that isn't completely confirmed yet, people get excited then start getting restless when the red tape slows down the process.
    To be honest, I'd rather have the scenario above than to be just totally left out of the dark.

Then the people involved in the process are bogged down with excessive amounts of questions like "is this still going to happen?" "What's going on with this?" "I thought this was a done deal!"
    That's the thing dude, I want to be involved in any process where FR and skills parks/trails are concerned. I'd have no problem if I was part of the process and people came up and asked me about the progress of it. I've repeatedly offered to Darryl any service of mine that he could use. So since I haven't heard any news concerning any action towards any skills park since the FTF (until yesterday) about any progress, I was assuming that there either hasn't been, or Darryl doesn't need my services or doesn't want them and has left me out of the loop on purpose.
    A big reason I want to be a part of this is that I feel that I have plenty of ideas (not just concerning stunts and their construction), but suggestions about other things as well.

The Hammy/Long Cain project for example.
    What is that project all about anyway? I've heard them mention it before but have no idea what it entails.

can I say for all of us that I'm a little worn out on Sorba being beat up because there is no freeride scene?
    Let me go on record and say that unless SORBA has the power/capablity to make something happen themselves and just won't, I don't have a beef with them. My issue lies with anyone who has the power to make the decision for us to go ahead: that would be Metro Parks, any lawmaker, any fund source.
    For example, the area where we built the skills section for the HC FTF last spring. Who gave us permission to build that, and why won't they give us permission to build something there or near there more permanent? I know we have the land for it, unless Darryl was bull****ting me when he said we do have a plot of land close to the BMX track available. What is keeping them from 'getting the lead out' and getting on with it??
    Those are the kinds of questions I want answered. And much to the opposite of the higher ups getting hounded with questions about the progress, I equally dislike constantly being told 'we're working on it' or 'it's in the works'.

And the bottom line is; Bentonville, AR and Cullman, AL both managed to find a way to get their FR parks built. So there is NO reason that a bigger metropolitan area such as Nashville/Davidson county can't get this done in a timely manner as well.
    Metro Parks: find out how those two municipalities got those parks approved and built, then just follow suit. Honestly, is it that difficult?

Don't we already have a thread about your chest? No more pictures please
    I second that motion.

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    In retrospect ... now that I'm out of the loop, can I say for all of us that I'm a little worn out on Sorba being beat up because there is no freeride scene? Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
    I have the perfect solution for this! Lets build some some stuff that will make the people who ride this type of thing happy! (And will end up making a whole bunch of other people happy too!)
    Last edited by TryFour; 12-18-2008 at 02:19 PM.

46. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TryFour for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TryFour View Post
    I have the perfect solution for this! Lets build some some stuff that will make the people who ride this type of thing happy! (And will end up making a whole bunch of other people happy too!)
    YAY!!! Finally, an ally for a change.

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Oh, come on! I've been working on this for years!

Thanks
    it shouldnt take years

Thanks
    Haha, that's not exactly what I meant, but you make a good point. Still, it's getting though the red tape that takes so long, once you have approval it's smooth sailing! (I at least I'd like to think so!)

Now that we have such a large and growing group interested in this type of riding, it will be MUCH easier to get things going!

PS - (In reference to the tag below), You don't actually need a hill to build freeride elements or dirt jumps, but it is nice to have.
    Last edited by TryFour; 12-18-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    What is a berrencloth?

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    darren berrecloth, freerider google it, he spelled it wrong

Thanks

WRONG...

YAY!!! Finally, an ally for a change.
    I work with Freeride/downhill guys almost everyday. Some of the most talented in the region. EVERYTIME I work with a land manager to describe or design a trail or rework, I include freeride elements as part of the site plan. Even though it is less than 1% of bike sales in the southeast, I thrive to have skills park facilities to engage this user group.

so NOW I am an Ally? It is clear we need to get you guys in the loop a bit more. Particularly to understand why this is not turn key. It has taken us YEARS to undo and rebuld the perception of our mountain bike community. We follow the path that offers long term relationships and long term growth for ALL our members, and I mean Mountain Bike community MEMBERS, IMBA-SORBA or not.

Other than the January meeting, we will schedule a social soon so we can get a better understanding of where the challenges and successes really are.

I too agree that proof is in the pudding. I hope to have two venues in 2009 that offer at least some level of skills courses and/or freeride elements on public lands. work'n on it....

54. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    ... Most of this has been overcome, at least by Metro. After having the skate park for so many years without incident, they are over their original objections. Lisa King even gave Sorba the go ahead to build an element over a large tree at Hamilton Creek. Darryl and I even went and measured, scouted and designed the element but when I was laid off, my focus shifted and the holidays snuck up on us. This would be a great winter project. That can still happen - the green light is there. So for all you guys moaning (me included - but hence moved so someone will have to build it for me to ride when I visit) here is your big shot. Go build something at Hamilton Creek. Word.
    I'm quoting myself here...shouldn't this put this to rest? Mike - Get with Darryl and go build this. If you don't see this through, then the freeride scene not happening is your fault. ... No pressure.

56. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Mike...

Give me a break. Quit crying and whining like my three year old and get out there and get'er done. If you want something to get done sometimes you just have to jump in and get after it. Quit blaming everyone else that you don't have what you want. The problem is you. Your not in the loop because you are the sidelines expecting everyone else to do it. Now that the spanking is done. I'm into some of the free ride stuff too and would be glad to give some time in building. Another ally.
    Since you can only use one gear at a time isn't a 1x9 a single speed.

Thanks
    I was just thinking Mike I don't know you and you could be a three year old so if you are disregard my rant.

Finally back on the east coast in Raleigh, NC; but I claim, and I'm always throwing down in Cleveland,TN.
    Thanks
    man ive been missing out the past few day! its getting a little saucy in here. i game for some freeride in middle tn, to bad im out of the game for a while
    Turner SixPack
    Yeti DJ
    Trek EX 9
    Fisher SuperFly SS

You don't have time to think on the trail. If you think, you're dead.

Thanks

I think there is a very simple solution to those who don't find an immediate venue for their interests: Change Venues!

Or, MOVE to British Columbia.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

61. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Taco-Tim for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tva448 View Post
    I think there is a very simple solution to those who don't find an immediate venue for their interests: Change Venues!
    Sort of like Sam Kinison's solution to world hunger..."MOVE WHERE THE FOOD IS!!!"

Seriously though...if it where that easy, I would live in Ashville NC.
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

63. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    I like your thinking Chris. I'm going to start packing.

65. The following user says "Thank You" to CodeRed for this useful post:

Thanks
    Do you guys think our wives would be ok with us splitting the rent on an apartment in the Ashville area?

I'm all for it. Any takers?

Of course, we may not have to worry about wives for long if we do it. :argue:
    TIM

Thanks
    I understand why certain user groups (FR)want there style of riding to be represented. But when that group is not the majority in this area than they should not expect every one else to cator to them.

Lets be real for a moment. We are talking about a group of riders( with a few exceptions) that are male, 25 to 35, and in need of some attention. I feel like I can speak freely about this because I have been in this catagory for a little while.
    This excludes most riders 16 to 25 that can't afford FR bikes and women riders of all ages with a few exceptions and most older riders 35 to ?? that have children, jobs and other reasons not to risk it all for a quick thrill. The reason there are so many video's on the net with this type of riding is the whole "need attention" thing. Most xc riders don't record there rides and post up video's so it's hard compare these apple to those oranges but I assure you the number of xc apples far out number the oranges.

If you look at where free riding started it doesn't seem real to box it in to a skills park. Its alot like the the free loving, nomadic Harley riders of the past that are now represented by folks with good jobs and stable lifestyles that dress up on the weekend to ride there expensive "hogs". Some may call this being a "poser" but not me af course.

If you want insane steep descents, huge drops(rock ledges) and skinny's(trees down every where)go out and find them because they are in middle TN already. The thing is when you find them don't tell anyone about it. Just go out there ride it over and over till you get your fill then find some more. Alot like BMXers do there thing in every major city and alot of small towns.

I wonder if the small percentage of horse back riders that like to jump horses rant and rave on the equestrian message boards about not having technical trails?

68. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to jstrdnalng for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrdnalng View Post
    most older riders 35 to ?? that have children, jobs and other reasons not to risk it all for a quick thrill.
    What's that? You talking to me?
    Steve Vines
    2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    1994 GT Zaskar

70. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Fuel for this useful post:

Thanks
    so build a skills park so more of the xc guys can ride some to, just something, by the way i am in cleveland for christmas and rode rays yesterday for about 3 hrs and it rocks, i recommend it to everyone even the xc guys

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrdnalng View Post
    I understand why certain user groups (FR)want there style of riding to be represented. But when that group is not the majority in this area than they should not expect every one else to cator to them.

Lets be real for a moment. We are talking about a group of riders( with a few exceptions) that are male, 25 to 35, and in need of some attention. I feel like I can speak freely about this because I have been in this catagory for a little while.
    This excludes most riders 16 to 25 that can't afford FR bikes and women riders of all ages with a few exceptions and most older riders 35 to ?? that have children, jobs and other reasons not to risk it all for a quick thrill. The reason there are so many video's on the net with this type of riding is the whole "need attention" thing. Most xc riders don't record there rides and post up video's so it's hard compare these apple to those oranges but I assure you the number of xc apples far out number the oranges.

If you look at where free riding started it doesn't seem real to box it in to a skills park. Its alot like the the free loving, nomadic Harley riders of the past that are now represented by folks with good jobs and stable lifestyles that dress up on the weekend to ride there expensive "hogs". Some may call this being a "poser" but not me af course.

If you want insane steep descents, huge drops(rock ledges) and skinny's(trees down every where)go out and find them because they are in middle TN already. The thing is when you find them don't tell anyone about it. Just go out there ride it over and over till you get your fill then find some more. Alot like BMXers do there thing in every major city and alot of small towns.

I wonder if the small percentage of horse back riders that like to jump horses rant and rave on the equestrian message boards about not having technical trails?
    Oh, I hesitate to even get involved (again), with this, and even thought I know that Jim was just trying to voice his opinion and meant no harm, I have to disagree with a lot of this.

Of the riders in Middle and East Tennessee who enjoy downhill and freeride, you'll find a wide variety of ages, lifestyles and income levels. These are guys who simply like to ride more aggressive terrain. I, for one, don't feel like I need any kind of attention, (in this way), and don't like to be in the spotlight. My take on the fact that these types of riding are more documented is that they are just exciting to watch, but, again, that's just my opinion. This kind of riding isn't about a quick thrill, or about showboating, or about risking it all for anything, it is just the kind of riding that I prefer, even though I love most kinds of riding. I'd love to have the ability to just go out to the steepest hill I can find and cut some new really technical trails, but you just can't do that, (unless you want to end up in jail). That's why I'm pushing to get some legal trails built that we can all enjoy, or at least those who are up for it.

Some people love this kind of thing, and some people don't. I completely realize that this is the minority in Middle Tennessee, but I just don't feel like it is too much to ask to have a little more variety in our riding, do you?

73. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to TryFour for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tryon you know I also like this type of riding and do it when I get a chance. I put my heckler back together last night to do just that.
    I just don't expect XC riders to do the work required for me to have a place to ride. nor would I expect a group of huckers to buff out some XC trail unless they like that type of riding as well.

The more I read on this thread the more it seemed like blame was being placed on Sorba. If you feel passionate about something you can find a way to get what you want without pointing fingers at a group and saying " I'm not getting my way ".

I'm sure now that I should have kept quit with my opinions on the matter.

BTW if you would like to ride off the steepest hill you can find let me know the next time your in the MB area. I have a place on the Dickson/cheatam line I've been riding for a few years and so far no jail time. There is one unattemped downhill that I would like to see someone make it down. Tryon, you just might be that person.

75. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to jstrdnalng for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaride View Post
    so build a skills park so more of the xc guys can ride some to
    Sorry to burst your bubble here, but for the most part it won't happen. Most XC riders don't have the desire or equipment to "huck". As an XC rider myself I think of mtn biking in terms of putting miles of flowing singletrack behind me. I have no interest in big drops or riding ladders. Just not me.

Middle TN realistically only has a handful of trails available to ride. If I'm going to put effort into a project I myself want to see miles of trail opened up, not jumps, skinnies and ladders that this 40 year old sole provider for a wife and two kids could possibly seriously injure himself. Not that I have anything against FR. I can see the attraction and hope you find ways to open up new opportunities in that area. However, you have to realize that mtn biking is a small sport and FR is a small segment of that.
    Steve Vines
    2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    1994 GT Zaskar

77. The following user says "Thank You" to Fuel for this useful post:

Thanks
    I should say that I don't agree with everything that has been said on this thread, and I don't blame SORBA at all. I'm taking a positive approach to all of this because I believe it will all come together!

Yeah, I'm certainly not trying to push anyone who isn't interested in more of the gravity side of this sport to get involved. We all like what we like, and are naturally going to be drawn towards helping out with that or those segments, whatever they are, and that is great. If we didn't all love bikes, we wouldn't be here anyway, and nobody would have trails, right?

I have seen, though, a growing group of people who enjoy gravity riding, and, if we can come up with the man power, I think it is only fair to represent that particular segment. I don't think that any of us are looking for special treatment, we just want a place to ride the kind of stuff that we like. This doesn't have to be an all out freeride/downhill/dirtjump park at all, (although I do hope that happens eventually). What if we just added a little extra trail on already established trails, and threw in some of the stunts that some of us are looking for. They could be off of the main trail so that those who don't want to play wouldn't even have to deal with it at all. The last thing that I want to do is take away from anybody's experience, but instead, add some new elements that some will find really fun and exciting!

I also believe that when we see gravity style riding pop up around our area we will see a lot of people riding and enjoying it! Gravity riding is constantly growing in popularity internationally and showing no signs of slowing down! I'm not advocating some unknown here, but instead a part of our sport that is a in full swing world wide. I have multiple friends who in the last 6 months have gone out and bought long travel bikes after riding at Windrock and more who are considering it. I just think that most of us haven't had the chance to try it out, and are somewhat apprehensive because all they have seen is professional level dh and fr competitions, (which are certainly intimidating to me too!). As this all develops, we'll see more people coming from BMX and motocross backgrounds moving to mountain bikes, and supporting the development of the sport we all love! I can't ask for more than that!

I'm not trying to convert anyone, or to push anything at all. Really all I and the growing group with me are asking is that you don't knock gravity riding until you've tried it, (and hopefully not at all), and most of all that you don't purposely stand in the way of the progress that we're trying to make. We all love bikes, and this is just the development of another part of what we all love. You never know, even if you are dedicated to another part of the sport, you, or your friends, or your kids might love some element of gravity riding!

Jim, next time I come and hang out I'll bring the dh bike and the full face, and we'll see what we can do!

-Tryon

PS - Just so you guys know, I ROUTINELY hurt myself much more seriously riding xc than I ever do riding downhill. Oh, now I jinxed myself!

79. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TryFour for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Quit your crying Tryfour...

Quote Originally Posted by TryFour View Post
    This doesn't have to be an all out freeride/downhill/dirtjump park at all, (although I do hope that happens eventually). What if we just added a little extra trail on already established trails, and threw in some of the stunts that some of us are looking for. They could be off of the main trail so that those who don't want to play wouldn't even have to deal with it at all. The last thing that I want to do is take away from anybody's experience, but instead, add some new elements that some will find really fun and exciting!
    What you state above is what I have been wanting to see happen for years, I like all types of two wheel challenge from buff fast XC to fun gravity stuff. (Not to mention drops and jumps) I do not want anyone to try it that does not want to and I think a great majority of people in Midd TN are supportive of this type of activity and I know SORBA has tried to get this going and I am glad for it. Hopefully we can now get some stuff built at Hammy and all can gather around and hug..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

81. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thread Information