Swiftwick 2

Thread: Percy Warner Park

Thanks

Percy Warner Park

Hello. Does Warner Park have any trails for a MTB ride? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 715 Posts
    Only horse and walking trails.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts

And, if they catch you riding any of the trails, they will throw you under the jail.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tva448 View Post

And, if they catch you riding any of the trails, they will throw you under the jail.
    To clarify this is not a joke.. Jail probably not but the fine is around $200 if they catch you.. my advice is to stay away...

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    However the road is very good for MTB training - lots of hills, switchbacks and the like, 11 miles of goodness.
    Steve
    Ventana ElCap
    Salsa El Mariachi

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Stonehead for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    To clarify this is not a joke.. Jail probably not but the fine is around $200 if they catch you.. my advice is to stay away...

I was told by a guy with first hand experience, that the fine is times how ever many feet you are inside the park... translation: the deeper you are in the park, the steeper the fine!

Oh, and you aren't to "Run" on the horse trails either as I have found. lol So if you are running trail out there, stick to the Red, White and Blue trails and stay away from the yellow trail!

Do they really need so much structure out there - Gosh!

Thanks
    Someone told me the PWP trails were open to us years and years ago, until some blue blood Belle Meade wife fell off a horse that got startled by a bike - and that was the end of the mountain bikers in PWP. I don't know if that's true or not. I also have met guys that hit those trails and haven't been got, but I'm not risking it.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

Thanks
    PWP is a great park. The cross country running trail at Vaughn's Creek is great. Also if u park in the lower lot of Steeplechase and ride up and in to the park it a nice 12+ mi. road ride with great hill climbs and some fast downhills complete w/ S*it eating grins! Also u can cross into Edwin Warner and make it a longer ride. It would b great to have access to ride the trails out there, but we have L4, Mont Bell, Hamilton and Shutes that they can't ride. So let those dinosaur riding A-holes have the horsey trails. In a previous life when I was a little more of a rebel I knew some guys who night rode the trails out there. Not sayin I was one of them, but it sure was fun!!!!
    Last edited by mbh1013; 04-27-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh1013 View Post
    In a previous life when I was a little more of a rebel I knew some guys who night rode the trails out there. Not sayin I was one of them, but it sure was fun!!!!

LMAO - "The Underground Railroad of MTB'ing!" - LMAO

Right on! I know from running out there, there is some crazy stuff I would LOVE to hit with my Remedy! Furthermore, I think those trails would be awesome training for a SS'er. But, yeah, we have our other trails and it's nice not rolling over piles of poo like at Haw Ridge!

Thanks
    Thanks for the info and warning. I see the pathways in my future.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graham722 View Post
    Someone told me the PWP trails were open to us years and years ago, until some blue blood Belle Meade wife fell off a horse that got startled by a bike - and that was the end of the mountain bikers in PWP. I don't know if that's true or not. I also have met guys that hit those trails and haven't been got, but I'm not risking it.
    I've heard about that since moving here, and I understand that Hamilton Creek was the offset to losing the Warner trails. Does anyone here know how long ago the park was closed to MTBs? I find myself wondering whether it's worth reopening the issue at the appropriate Metro Parks meeting.

Shared trails CAN work, and we have a real IMBA/SORBA presence these days to help with messaging. I also wonder whether the people involved (and opposed to MTBs) are still involved. Further, with Metro investing in the new 'Green Plan', we should point out that the current situation requires anyone relatively near downtown to drive 20+ miles in any direction to get to trails. People from several neighborhoods could ride to Warner Parks, and it would be a very short drive for many others.

We had a lot of shared trails in Southern CA, and, with some mutual respect, they worked for most people. Of course, there were occasional problems, but they were usually related to a discourteous minority of bikers and a stuck-up minority of horse owners who thought they owned the place for themselves. I'd be willing to deal with piles and dismounting periodically (to let a horse pass) to have access to really close trails...

13. The following user says "Thank You" to cegrover for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah, even if it were open on a limited basis, a few days a week, month or whatever that could be a very cool addition to have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 939 Posts
    The board of Sorba does have an interest in Percy Warner being opened to Mountain Bikers. We currently have one of our board members who is pretty active out there and she is taking the lead for us in staying on top of opportunities when presented.

There are several threads on this board that go into this subject in detail if you care to search them and read about what alot of others had to say about it and it's history.

In summary, it was closed to mountain bikes in the mid-90's and Hamilton Creek was given to us as a new place to develop and ride. Since then several groups that are pre-Sorba and then Sorba themselves have always been attempting to gain access to the park for mountain bikes.

Unfortunately, this has not produced results as of yet. It seems to be a reluctance on the part of Metro along with a strong lobby from the horse and hiker groups who use the park.

We have attended meetings and shown support for our sport when the opportunity has presented itself. I know there were several last year that some of those on the board showed up at and voiced our opinion at.

We will continue to try and gain access to this park as many of us live close and would love to ride it. We have a board member trying to do just that. Please know we are trying and also working on other opportunities to gain more trail. It is just a long process and sometimes takes years of continued effort to see results. Hopefully, we all continue the fight because if we give up we surely will never succeed even in a difficult situation such as this one.

My recommendation to help is two fold:

1. Don't ride the trails in Percy Warner. The more this is done by people the worse it makes us look to Metro. Even if you are not personally caught, we all leave treads and traces of our presence. They know mountain bikers are breaking the rules. Thus, we as a group are not represented as responsible trail users.
    2. Join Sorba. Even if you can't make all the workdays and functions, numbers count. It is really only a small fee yearly and without someone maintaining your trails and trying to get new ones we eventually won't have any decent trails to ride.

Thanks,
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

16. The following 9 users say "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    WTF? Those rich doosh bags don't own that place. That ****in makes me sick.

Not that I'm ever going to attempt it, but how are they going to catch you? If you're on the trails and they're on the trails, they're either going to be on a bike or on foot. Any decent trail rider/racer around her (not me haha) could probably outrun them.
    EDIT: NM. I see that they go out there and ride anyway.
    But I'm with Captain Benward, if you're going to be on those trails, ensure you are in only your running shoes or on a horse.
    -'07 Transition Bottlerocket
    -'03 Rocky Mountain Edge (in pieces awaiting paint job and overhaul)

Jump it off something, onto something, or over something.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB_mike View Post
    WTF? Those rich doosh bags don't own that place. That ****in makes me sick.

Not that I'm ever going to attempt it, but how are they going to catch you? If you're on the trails and they're on the trails, they're either going to be on a bike or on foot. Any decent trail rider/racer around her (not me haha) could probably outrun them.
    EDIT: NM. I see that they go out there and ride anyway.
    But I'm with Captain Benward, if you're going to be on those trails, ensure you are in only your running shoes or on a horse.

I concur with your sentiments on who owns the place, Mike. Those horses don't exactly leave the trails nicer than they left them, heck, they trash them, so they can't really use the erosion argument. To me, they're saying that horse owners are better than bikers. Plain and simple.

As far as catching you, the rangers will often park where the trails cross the paved roads to catch people pirating them at night. You could obviously blow by them, but all those trails loop back to the road eventually.

Of course, you could always do this ->
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 602 Posts
    To me, they're saying that horse owners are better than bikers. Plain and simple.
    Bare in mind that there is a rich tradition of equestrian events stretching back hundreds of years at the park. Like the longest running steeple chase in America. It also is home to Middle TN Pony Club (a great educational and social club for kids).

Also, to my knowledge, that is the only horse trail in Davidson county. The flip side to that is we got the gem that is Hamilton due to conflicts from Percy. So there is a 1:1 ratio for each.

I would love to be able to ride there and there are myriad reasons why we should be allowed to. The path to get that chance isn't easy and it isn't fast, but by riding there now all that will happen is that the path for legal access gets longer and more arduous.

The excitement and determination to get access is awesome, but please don't derail the efforts by disrespecting other user groups. Join SORBA and let our collective voices be heard and be patient. Government doesn't work very fast.

20. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post

I would love to be able to ride there and there are myriad reasons why we should be allowed to. The path to get that chance isn't easy and it isn't fast, but by riding there now all that will happen is that the path for legal access gets longer and more arduous.

The excitement and determination to get access is awesome, but please don't derail the efforts by disrespecting other user groups. Join SORBA and let our collective voices be heard and be patient.
    You don't have to worry about me. I'm not going to ride over there and risk the mtb community's rep.

As far as catching you, the rangers will often park where the trails cross the paved roads to catch people pirating them at night. You could obviously blow by them, but all those trails loop back to the road eventually.
    Well one way to get around that is, to just have someone drop you off on Hwy 70 (or is it 100) and just ride into the park and up into the trails. I'm sure there are more ways out than where the rangers are going to try to ambush you.
    And if you're going to ride at night at PWP, NVGs are the way to go! Haha.
    (these are just hypothetical 'what ifs', I do not condone actually trying this)

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Well, also don't forget the rangers have horses as well and I'm sure know those trails way better than any of us.

And don't jump to conclusions on why we aren't allowed or overly stereo type anyone who rides a horse. Gossip won't get anyone anywhere.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    Well, also don't forget the rangers have horses as well and I'm sure know those trails way better than any of us.
    Ahhhh...that changes things.

And don't jump to conclusions on why we aren't allowed or overly stereo type anyone who rides a horse. Gossip won't get anyone anywhere.
    Just for the record, I was stereotyping snooty rich people. Haha.
    I wouldn't mind riding a horse through those trails.

-Ronald Reagan

24. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to RMB_mike for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Yeah, and horses poop a lot too.

Just going by what I've heard. The horse trails aren't even the trails we want to ride. It's those hiking trails. Now that's some good riding. I mean would make some good riding if we allowed to ride them. Just going by what I've heard.

PWP is not a shared trail. There are Horse trails seperate from the hiking trails. The horse trails are pretty flat and wide. But those hiking trails are single track heaven baby. Just going by what I've heard.

Maybe some day. But I wouldn't count on it. But we are lucky to have the trails we have around Mid Tn.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 04-30-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

26. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 980 Posts
    The horse trails would suck but I have ran all of the hiking trails and there are plenty to keep me going back there are some nice features to ride on if it was allowed, and even on the Edward side the loop to the old rock quarry would be a great freeride spot - secluded and plenty of elevation for big drops and bridges..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

28. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thread Information