Thread: DS&G camping

Thanks

DS&G camping

Hey all. Looks like I might make it to hang at DS&G on Saturday!!
    I've never been to one of these races and have a question.
    Does anyone camp Saturday night or do most people leave after the race?
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    There should be a lot of people camping.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to steves for this useful post:

Thanks
    Seems like most stay Saturday night as that's the big party. Camping spots are marked as of today, but there is plenty of room.

If you plan on leaving via car during the race, it would be best to set up camp and then move your car outside the camping area to avoid having to cross the course upon your departure.

Camping is $5 per person. This covers the associated costs such as Porto-lets, trash pickup, etc.

Plan on a big weekend as many will start to arrive on Thursday. We will have a very entertaining time trial on Friday night and the course will be open for pre-rides starting Thursday. It is slowly drying, but will likely not be in great shape till race day.

Thanks,

Grant

5. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks

fire

are we allowed individual camp fires, I assume so but have been to events before that didn't allow them, If so is it bring your own or is there some there to get or buy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GARRETT View Post
    are we allowed individual camp fires, I assume so but have been to events before that didn't allow them, If so is it bring your own or is there some there to get or buy
    Sorry Garrett, no individual fire other than personal cook stoves, bbqs and the such. What we do have however, is a very large and very festive community fire pit. If past year's are any indication, this will be the place to hang out after the event as well as Friday night before the race.

Thanks,

Grant

8. The following user says "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll be there camping! (And probably stumbling a little too). Should be a great time!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GNC View Post
    What we do have however, is a very large and very festive community fire pit.
    We need some drunk soul to actually jump it this year instead of talking about it until he sobers up enough not to do it.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I will be there camping Fri and Sat night. I think most people will be staying Sat night, if they know what's good. But don't expect a quiet restful sleep starting at 10pm or anything Saturday night. There will be a party after the race and it will be fun!!!

Man I can't wait!!!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

13. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts
    I heard that there will be several people engaging in an intense game of twister. I am sure Johnny 5 will be involved again this...

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Motobacon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GNC View Post
    Seems like most stay Saturday night as that's the big party. Camping spots are marked as of today, but there is plenty of room.

If you plan on leaving via car during the race, it would be best to set up camp and then move your car outside the camping area to avoid having to cross the course upon your departure.

Camping is $5 per person. This covers the associated costs such as Porto-lets, trash pickup, etc.

Plan on a big weekend as many will start to arrive on Thursday. We will have a very entertaining time trial on Friday night and the course will be open for pre-rides starting Thursday. It is slowly drying, but will likely not be in great shape till race day.

Thanks,

Grant

Clay and I plan to hike the course tomorrow, hopefully with others, and do some late tuneup before the preride Thursday. Others are welcome. We all know that with recent and forecast weather patterns, conditions change quickly. And we may get a little more of the recent weather.

17. The following user says "Thank You" to bud for this useful post:

GNC

Thanks
    I don't have my board with me..... :( Somebody bring one please!! its soooo funny
    2006 Haro VL120s
    Custom-built Condor Squadra straight from London!
    07 CBR600RR.....pink and white with UV ghost flames

Peace out!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    Clay and I plan to hike the course tomorrow, hopefully with others, and do some late tuneup before the preride Thursday. Others are welcome. We all know that with recent and forecast weather patterns, conditions change quickly. And we may get a little more of the recent weather.
    I'll be putting in a hot water heater at my mom's tomorrow... oh the joy of doing free work.
    What time will you guys be out & about on the trail Bob?
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

20. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    I will be there camping Fri and Sat night. I think most people will be staying Sat night, if they know what's good. But don't expect a quiet restful sleep starting at 10pm or anything Saturday night. There will be a party after the race and it will be fun!!!

Man I can't wait!!!
    Oh yeah, Don't plan on sleeping if you stay Sat night. Rumor has it. And you know I luv to spread rumors. That a few Yazoo kegs will be there. I'm hopeing for some Yazoo Hop Project (my new favorite beer). Just like the race. The party goes off rain or shine.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 05-05-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: cause I drink yazoo hop project
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

22. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    If you can't stand the drunks... don't sleep near the bar... which will pretty much be at least 20 acres around the fire pit

That's why I'm getting a motel room.

I'll piss you off... but eventually I'll leave.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

24. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twolfcon View Post
    If you can't stand the drunks... don't sleep near the bar... which will pretty much be at least 20 acres around the fire pit

HAHHAHAHA

only fitting that my sober level is compromised as I reply to this..... hilarious!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

26. The following user says "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twolfcon View Post

Hotels are for old wrinkle ninnies....

Oh wait...I hope you sleep nice.

28. The following user says "Thank You" to Motobacon for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll be there starting friday..

my HOTEL looks a lot lilke a cool honda element..... hmmmm
    2006 Haro VL120s

Peace out!

Thanks

Camping Update!

Camping is ready to go in the same locations as last year. The only exception is that we will not be able to allow cars in the camping area. This would be catastrophic for the field and likely require extensive repairs due to rutting etc.

You will be able to drive close...either at the round about near the barn, or across the creek near the fire pit and pump track to unload.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but we feel the need to keep Clay's fine pastures...well fine.

As far as a trail update, it seems like all the mud riding early last year is paying dividends this year. The trail seems to be handling and shedding the water much better this go round as a result of the packing it received during DSG 2.0. Don't worry, I expect a few soft spots at the very least, and we still do have the potential for a good mud fest, but what the heck things look promising.

I am headed south tomorrow with a few of the fine things our sponsors have contributed...just a few highlights:

Scott D. at Eastside Cycles is bringing it, with over $1,400 worth of cool stuff including a Cannondale Caffeine Frame. Rumor has it this will get a signature from Jeremiah Bishop.
    http://www.eastside-cycles.com/

Next up is REI who is bringing the goods for those in a big way for those in the Corporate class. A big thanks to REI for their ongoing support. Thanks Bill and Chuck!http://www.rei.com/

Also new this year is Cumberland Transit who has put together some very cool prize packs for the Solo SS'ers as well as the 4 person SS'ers. Thanks to Modo!
    http://cumberlandtransit.com/

Not to be left out is Sun and Ski who will be bringing a very cool cruiser bike for the winner of Friday evening's special Cottonmill's Pasture Time Trial. Darryl and company will also be the sponsor of the 4 person team division.
    http://www.sunandski.com/

Hodge and Cody at Addictive Cycles in Braselton, GA will be sending a special set of handbuilt 29'er wheels.
    http://www.addictivecycles.com/Welcome.html

Steve at Wood n' Wave is bringing some illuminating prizes in the form of lights. http://www.woodnwave.com/

Princeton Tec is back with some special lighted goodness as well. Thanks to Justin at PTec.
    http://www.princetontec.com/

Peter the ultimate Misfit from Misfit Psycles is hitting the road at 6am tomorrow, and assuming customs let's him cross the border he'll show with a very fine Misfit Dissent Frame as well as the only available prototype of his made in Canada Steel 29'er. Talk about hot off the presses, I'm not even sure that the paint will be dry.
    http://www.misfitpsycles.com/

Moab is back with the Solo Amateur class as well as a special give away that will benefit one of our favorite causes, Ride 4 Reading. Think blingy, think Ellsworth. http://moabbikes.com/

Another new arrival for us is Bolt Brothers from way out in NC. Will Bolt is bringing some fine wool for folks to wear.
    http://www.boltbrotherscycles.com/

Speaking of fine wool, Earth Wind n Rider is sending the goods. Thanks Bill!
    http://www.ewnr.com/

Cartecay Bikes in Ellijay, GA is also bringing it with a few special prizes. http://www.cartecaybikes.com/

Cahaba Cycles is back with a selection of goodies as well.
    http://cahabacycles.com/

The Biker's Choice will be in the house also. Offering support for Rebecca Rusch as well as working on another very cool frame. Thanks David!
    http://www.thebikerschoice.com/

Other players include our friends at Thomson. Only the finest stems and seatposts you'll ever see. Thanks David!
    http://www.lhthomson.com/

We've got a bunch more where that came from, so stay tuned, and better yet see ya on Friday and Saturday.

Grant

31. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    I motion for a "car camping" spot then. I don't have a tent and my Element is my only option....I guess I'll be pretty far away from all the fun now. ;(
    2006 Haro VL120s

Peace out!

Thanks
    Moab is back with the Solo Amateur class as well as a special give away that will benefit one of our favorite causes, Ride 4 Reading. Think blingy, think Ellsworth. http://moabbikes.com/

Woo hoo.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ykselob View Post
    I motion for a "car camping" spot then. I don't have a tent and my Element is my only option....I guess I'll be pretty far away from all the fun now. ;(
    The field across from the camping field isn't that far away. And, once you choose to retire for the evening, you'll probably be happy you are as far as you are from the party. I doubt it will end at a sane hour.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Just to clarify. The parking area is just across the creek and very close to the action. No worries for that as far as car camping, parking, or campers!

Thanks,

Grant

Thread Information