Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock 4 Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanks for the updates!!! I have my new bike and chomping at the bit to try it out!!!!

Thanks
    Rode all but 2,3 &4 yesterday. Good to go. Enjoy

3. The following user says "Thank You" to psychocross for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rained here!! :( How about Gallatin, Tn? I hope the trails are good..... and is the west side open?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    West (across the peninsula road) will be down for a while. The east (parking lot side of the road; 1, 4,...) should be fine by now.

Gary

6. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks homer!! I headed to Cave City Trails and they were kind of nasty spent 30 minutes cleaning the bike up. Crossing the Fairy was fun for my son and me.
    Last edited by cgregory; 04-12-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgregory View Post
    Thanks homer!! I headed to Cave City Trails and they were kind of nasty spent 30 minutes cleaning the bike up. Crossing the Fairy was fun for my son and me.
    Have you ridden the Nolin Lake trail(s). I road 6 miles of it (4 miles of it, some rough cut and some just flagged) last summer. Looked to have awesome potential. The two mile loop had some fun rock features.

Gary

9. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    East side of L4 is in nice condition. West side (segments 2 & 3) still closed for recovery.

Gary

11. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    BTW, we could use a couple of 6' pressure treated 4X4s or 4X6s (new or salvaged). The bridge approaching the last lakeside has rotted and begun disintegrating. Apparently the donated 4X6s weren't PT. I'll be glad to rebuild it if the materials are available!

Also, plans are in the works for a feature segment of trail with jumps, etc. So, if anyone is having a deck renovation, we can use a bunch of salvaged PT materials for that also!

Gary

13. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I hope people got some good rides in this weekend. Yesterday afternoon Lock 4 was beautiful, and trail conditions were perfect.

Thanks
    I'm a Lock 4 person.... But if any of you wanna ride something new there's a new trail/addition to the Mammoth Cave Mountain Bike Trails in Kentucky. Plus you get to cross the Ferry! LOL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Have you ridden the Nolin Lake trail(s). I road 6 miles of it (4 miles of it, some rough cut and some just flagged) last summer. Looked to have awesome potential. The two mile loop had some fun rock features.
    I have not... and need to check that out. Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks
    Rode at lunch today. East side is in great shape. 16-18 inch tree down across the start of the climb out of Chlorine Hollow.

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to grubfc for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah I meant to post about the BEAST of a tree down. Thanks grubfc.

Thanks
    That climb has had a slew of trees go down there. What's with that?

Gary

Thanks
    Ryan and I cut out the big a$$ tree this morning. A bit nerve racking, but we goter done, then enjoyed the fruit of our labor for the next 2+ hours. One of the most enjoyable morning rides in some time. Perfect weather and conditions on the east side. Then there's the west side...

We ventured over there on our first go-round and found #2 to be mostly OK until we got to the L-bridge. The approach is a trenched up bog. On #3, after the log jump, the same conditions for the next 100 yards and as far as we could see. We cut out at the L-bridge. Went in the exit of #3 and found muck following the bridges and for the next 40 yards. Very demoralizing, considering the work we've put in to help recovery, to find people riding there in spite of wet (vs. damp) conditions. It's going to be some time now before it will be dry enough to "ride-in". I ribboned off #3. Please respect this and let it dry. I want to ride over there as much as the next guy.
    Last edited by homer; 04-19-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Austinitis

Gary

22. The following 9 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Wish I could have ridden with you guys. Had family stuff going on. Thanks for getting that tree out of there. Peace.

Thanks
    Had a good day of riding perfect weather!!! I tried spreading the word about the west side being closed to everyone that asked for directions. I didn't venture over when I seen the red Specialized tape on my round. Thanks to everyone that work the trails and keep them up!!! Please don't mud ride!!!!

25. The following user says "Thank You" to cgregory for this useful post:

Thanks

Lock 4 Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Anything we can do to get the west side back in shape a little faster Homer!? Id love to be able to ride the whole thing again!
    Chet

Thanks
    Thanks Homer (and others) for cutting out the trees; I saw many that had been handled. Most were very large so I know that must've been a good bit of work.

I avoided the West side and thoroughly enjoyed the East side. The weather and the trail conditions were perfect. While riding down by the river I nearly climbed my bike up a tree after seeing a black snake right smack in the middle of the trail. As I got closer I realized it was just black nylon webbing laid out to perfectly resemble a snack. It almost looked intentional. I got a good laugh (and scare) out of it.
    ##
    Aaron W.
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite full suspension

Thanks
    I tell ya, it is so rutted and churned up, one thing I can see doing in lieu of it drying naturally, is to de-muck it and put down crusher-run. Considering that the water is leaching from the ground, I don't know if that would hold up. The least favorable would be bridges. It would take a lot.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the bad soils area. It is a band running down the fall line from the first wet area at #2 to the lake, beyond the #3 bridges.

Gary

Thanks

Lock 4 Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Well let me know if you try to tackle that area, I'd be willing to put some time in to make it rideable if possible. Just have to give me a heads up with scheduling.
    Chet

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm available on the weekends as long as I have some notice to help with trail work. I'm not trying to scare anyone but snakes are out! I ran over a small green one Saturday.
    Last edited by cgregory; 04-20-2014 at 09:50 PM.

32. The following user says "Thank You" to cgregory for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Gary, same here if you need help but need to have advanced notice. Also a date not conflicting with another work day.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

34. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Agreed. Get a work day together, and I'll do my best to be able to make it and pitch in. Might even see if I can drag some of the other Clarksville guys along.

36. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think you guys try TOO hard to keep the west side open year-round and/or depend too much on people to respect the trail conditions. I've only been around the past two years, but it seems pretty consistent during the winter months that the west side is too wet to ride far more often than not, and people still get out there regardless of the conditions in spite of everyone’s efforts.

Personally, I’ve adopted a policy of not riding the west side from the first sign of trouble in the fall until you guys start posting that it is in good shape again the following spring. I just don't think the few days that it is rideable during that period in between are worth it. Even if it is reported as “just damp” or “good except for a couple of spots” on a given day, I figure the little bit of damage I might do just contributes to the cumulative and inevitable problem.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks don’t see it my way. Some wouldn't even seem to understand it if you drew them a picture. Recently I told someone new to the area about the trail, including that it shouldn’t be ridden when wet, and he responded, “But why? That’s the best time to ride.” I explained about the erosion and the amount of work that volunteers put in to maintaining it, and though he seemed to accept my explanation I could tell by the look on his face that he just didn’t get it and would probably end up being one of the people that rides it when he shouldn’t, and then I regretted telling him about it at all.

I think the ambiguity as to whether it is “too wet” or “just damp” or depending on anyone’s judgment just allows those types to justify ANY conditions as acceptable and/or convince themselves that THEIR ride won’t do too much damage (Just the tip), so I wouldn’t be the least bit offended if the west side were just declared officially closed every winter, “December – March”, or whatever with official looking signs and/or gates across the entrances.

It won’t stop the “rule breakers”, but it should stop the “justifiers”, and if the mud riding is at least significantly reduced, not only would it be easier on you lot that are trying to maintain it, but it might actually recover sooner, which would benefit everyone.

Just my $0.02. Either way, I’ll continue my self-imposed winter ban.

38. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to ledwig for this useful post:

Thanks
    I came across a possible solution by accident when looking at trails online. Google Corduroy trail and look at pics. It looks pretty easy to do and works for wet areas with out building bridges.

As far as work days I too need a bit of notice as my days off are now Wednesday and Thursday. If anything is planned on the weekends the more notice the better and I'll try to take off work.
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

40. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks
    The Corduroy is basically the bridges we've been amassing. It works, but require maintenance/replacement as well. Using tree segments as cross members would be pretty rough for bikes…"ahyayayayayayay". We need someone with a Bobcat...

Gary

Thanks
    FYI-East side was in good shape today. Closures on the west are at the second entry to #2 and the entry to #3. After exiting the first segment of #2, skip down (or ride) to #4 (Jeep Road).

Yesterday morning, I found trenched bogs at both ends of the L-bridge, at the end of #2. #3 continues to stay wet. Please respect the closures as they are in the best interest of getting the west side open again as quickly as possible.

Gary

Thanks
    Almost 2 1/2" so far today. Ugh...

Gary

44. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    So west side should be good to go in the morning? Sorba site said good to go! LOL!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    And then summer will get here and it will be drier than dust. I cannot wait.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    Almost 2 1/2" so far today. Ugh...
    No big deal for a roadie!

48. The following user says "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm up late due to a family emergency but I did get to ride Saturday "PERFECT"..... The only way i see getting people to stop riding the west side is by hidden spike strips. The red specialized tape was gone!! Since my emergency had to do with a family member in a wreck on I-65 north of Nashville due to standing water I'm sure the trails will need some dry time this week.
    Last edited by cgregory; 04-29-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    Corey

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgregory View Post
    I'm up late due to a family emergency but I did get to ride Saturday "PERFECT"..... The only way i see getting people to stop riding the west side is by hidden spike strips. The red specialized tape was gone!! Since my emergency had to do with a family member in a wreck on I-65 north of Nashville due to standing water I'm sure the trails will need some dry time this week.

i've seen the stan's videos.... if you believe their marketing, your spike strips won't work. =D
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Seriously, Spike Strips, let's just set booby traps everywhere along the trail and start injuring people. That will keep them from riding and bring lawsuits against us. There is no way to keep people off the trail, period. We can try to educate and deter people, but no way to stop them completely. The best way we have found is to use wooden barricades to help deter, but even that is not perfect.

52. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was there until 1:00 on Saturday with Ryan and the tape at #3 was up. What are these people thinking? It's a frickkin quagmire! I guess the tape at #2's second entry was down, too. I bet it's Bikers Choice guys.

Gary

54. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    It was around 4:30 Saturday when we rode and there was no tape. Spike strips was a joke! I would never want to injure anyone!
    Last edited by cgregory; 04-30-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    Corey

56. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cgregory for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have considered stringing bike chain across entries in lieu of ribbon. Ride through that.

Gary

58. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Would it be possible to install permanent gates on the entrances and exits to the trails
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    Does anyone have an update on Lock 4 for today? Im sure the west side is soaked but wondering if the east side would be ready.

Thanks
    http://trails.sorbamidtn.org/ shows it as partially open, east side go, west side not.

62. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Would it be possible to install permanent gates on the entrances and exits to the trails
    Yes. It's been, and being, talked about. Finally. Funding for the materials is an issue. Due to abuse, it may happen this season with help from SORBA.

Gary

64. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    What is the cost?
    IMBA-SORBA Member

Thanks
    Dirtdog Daryl has talked about multiple posts with chain barriers scattered though the west side. Assuming "gates" at each entry/exit (6) and (5) more in the trail (to be a "flow" nuisance), for 4X4s, chain and locks, around $500.

If anyone has a 6' PT 4X4 to donate (I have one), I can rebuild the small bridge approaching the last lakeside. It seems that the previously donated 4X6s weren't PT and have deteriorated, now making the bridge dilapidated and maybe dangerous.

Gary

67. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Dirtdog Daryl has talked about multiple posts with chain barriers scattered though the west side. Assuming "gates" at each entry/exit (6) and (5) more in the trail (to be a "flow" nuisance), for 4X4s, chain and locks, around $500.

If anyone has a 6' PT 4X4 to donate (I have one), I can rebuild the small bridge approaching the last lakeside. It seems that the previously donated 4X6s weren't PT and have deteriorated, now making the bridge dilapidated and maybe dangerous.
    Gary I have a couple 4'-6' pt that have developed a bow. They have been in my garage so they are not weathered at all. I cant use them for a fence because they have developed a bit of a curve in them. They would work well as short pieces (2'-3') or you could install them with the bow outward to use as resistance if need be.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Bowed is good! Turn the crown up for a bridge! Drop them next time you're out there and let me know. I'll use them or stash um.

Gary

Thanks
    Planning with Ryan to ride a little and work a little, tomorrow. Around 11:00 for me. Could use help cutting back the face-slappers that have shot out in the last week or so. Hand pruners and walking shoes is all you need! With six people we could spread out and take a mile each and knock it out in an hour or so.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanks to whoever donated the bridge panels! Ryan and I got the bridge replaced at the approach to the last lakeside. Thanks to Ryan, too, for cutting back face-slappers. East side was in great shape today.

Gary

72. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys for doing all of that. I would have been out there but my little girl has been puking all day.

74. The following user says "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I dunno if that's worse for you or her, poor baby. Either way, not fun. Hope she's better.

Gary

Thread Information