Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock 4 Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    West side is all cleaned up. Got the face slappers, crap laying all over the place, etc taken care of for now. Get out and enjoy! Peace.

2. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    You da man!

Gary

Thanks
    Gary. You get the email about the new trail from Dave?

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    East is open and pretty dry. West closed. Updated sorba site.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

6. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Both sides fine to ride. Asking Ryan to update SORBA link to both sides open.

Thanks to Gavin for trimming on the west…and the east, too, for that matter HUGE improvement!

There's a tree down at the top of the hill entering the last lakeside trail (at bench). Needs chainsaw, if anyone with one heading out there.

Gary

8. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rain in H'ville. What about Gallatin?

Gary

Thanks
    Turns out Lock 4 got little if any rain. Whole trail was good to go. Cleared the tree and fixed the busted shelter. Bout ready for the summer!

Gary

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Awesome man. Thanks! Wish I would have known you were gonna be out there, would have come and helped and rode with ya.

13. The following user says "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail is decent. Only messed around a little on the East side before heading out to the road for some climbing work. It's still slick in spots, but not muddy or anything. I would think that if the rain holds out tonight, it should be pretty good by tomorrow, and great by the weekend. Peace.

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode it today and it was good overall. Has a few muddy spots around some of the water drainage but great overall.

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Laurido92 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the update Laurido92. Yeah Ryan told me it should probably be about perfect tomorrow. Gotta get out there and get some Fathers Day laps. Wooohoooo!

Thanks
    F-Day was good stuff! All good, both sides, forwards and backasswards. Get ya some. These temps won't hold long. Good times, Ry, Gav, and Chet!

Gary

20. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah had a blast man. Hope to see you sometime this week. Peace.

Thanks
    Superb conditions out there today. Decent lap time without really trying.

Found new "improvement". The lakeside slanted rock is no more. Welcome to the greenway…

Thanks for the clean-up/cut-back at Jeep Road - Rabbit Run.

Gary

23. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Did someone remove the slanted rock? WTF?

Thanks
    Yup. Too hard, I guess.

Gary

Thanks

Lock 4 Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Yea! Just noticed that! That's some serious BS! Someone needs a good a$$ beatin for that!
    Chet

27. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have a FB msg out to the guy who destroyed it. I've asked why, and who have permission or approval to alter such an integral feature of the trail. I am incredibly upset and dissapointed it was altered.
    Last edited by ryanthelyon; 06-19-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Changed removed to altered, apparently there part of the rock is still there, just slegdgehammered flat on the approach

Thanks
    No more naked chick rock? Now where are the kids gonna go to hump in the middle of the night and scare the crap out of us night riders?

Thanks

Someone spent some time on it too, it wasn't a quick job. Can't put that back either!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403141320.723693.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403141332.273423.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403141358.289565.jpg
    Chet

31. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    ****! What did they do roll it off down the side of the hill? Ugh!
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    just another redistribution of our wealth (skill) to make everyone equal

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    ****! What did they do roll it off down the side of the hill? Ugh!
    They took a sledgehammer to it and busted the entire side of that rock off until it was level with the ground and then smoothed it over with dirt. Freakin morons!!!!! Its in the advanced section too!!!
    Chet

Thanks
    Have been speaking on the phone and on FB to the guy who took the sledgehammer to it and altered it. He did it on his own, without talking to anyone or getting any sort of concencus. He feels we should all have no problem with it, and acts as if he doesn't know why anyone would even care??! He feels it was 'dangerous for all riders' His opinion is that it shouldn't be there since everyone riding can't 'pick there front tire up'. Those were the actual words. I tried to explain that that part of the trail is already marked expert, and we have a complete beginner go-around for that section, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It's too late anyways.

He is also bragging considerably about all the other trail work he does and how this somehow justifies vandalizing (my word) that section. He is basically taking credit for quite a bit of work done out there and acting like he didn't know he had to 'answer to my committee'.

I don't believe 1 person should alone be able to take a sledgehammer to a old, original, and in my opinion, awesome feature and destroy it without at least talking to someone at SORBA or posting up there intentions here on the forum, or FB page to get some other opinions at minimum.

Very frustrating. What steps can we take to try and make sure this sort of thing doesn't continue to happen to the trail?!!
    Last edited by ryanthelyon; 06-19-2014 at 05:02 PM.

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    That's jacked up. I'd just sorted out how to clean that freaking thing on the FS bike too! What the heck is wrong with people? If you see someone leaving a trail looking like they walked into a propeller it's probably because I caught them doing something like this. Adapt your skills to the trail, don't adapt the trail to your skills.

38. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthelyon View Post
    Have been speaking on the phone and on FB to the guy who took the sledgehammer to it and removed it. He did it on his own, without talking to anyone or getting any sort of concencus. He feels we should all have no problem with it, and acts as if he doesn't know why anyone would even care??! He feels it was 'dangerous for all riders' His opinion is that it shouldn't be there since everyone riding can't 'pick there front tire up'. Those were the actual words. I tried to explain that that part of the trail is already marked expert, and we have a complete beginner go-around for that section, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It's too late anyways.

He is also bragging considerably about all the other trail work he does and how this somehow justifies vandalizing (my word) that section. He is basically taking credit for quite a bit of work done out there and acting like he didn't know he had to 'answer to my committee'.

I don't believe 1 person should alone be able to take a sledgehammer to a old, original, and in my opinion, awesome feature and destroy it without at least talking to someone at SORBA or posting up there intentions here on the forum, or FB page to get some other opinions at minimum.

Very frustrating.
    It's in a park. A *lot* of park trail systems have a rule that states unauthorized changes or unapproved changes are basically destruction of (city/county/state/federal) property. It's time to see if that applies, and have that person charged appropriately if it does.

40. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks

That means he's probably the one that's making these "go arounds" I keep seeing pop up out there!
    Last edited by Slickwilly; 06-18-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Chet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    What steps can we take to try and make sure this sort of thing doesn't continue to happen to the trail?!!
    Contact the City of Gallatin or whatever government entity maintains that park and ask what can be done. Talk to Darryl first but I would call the Gallatin police and file a vandalism report against the person. Metro Nashville's policy is doing anything without permission is considered vandalism and can get your banned. Not sure if the same policy exists up there.

What's next removing the big rock drops that are there? Removing rocks from the rock garden because it is too rough?

On a side note that must have been a hell of a lot of work given how big it was.
    Last edited by AustinB; 06-18-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    It was. Very disappointing. The most technical feature (and not all that much at that) on the whole trail, history.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickwilly View Post
    Yea! Just noticed that! That's some serious BS! Someone needs a good a$$ beatin for that!
    I would enjoy that challenge any day - just let me know when!

Gents / ladies - there are still two lines to take and keep your crazy skills you all have worked so hard on. The rock is still in place without the sharp edge on the front. Skills on the top left "A line", faster launching line on the right "B line".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmack0378 View Post
    Oh boy!!! Here we go!!

Thanks for the invite but I make it a point not to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. And from what we have seen from you thus far proves that point. Anyway, that was not intended as a personal threat towards you, just a figure of speech regarding the stupidity of the actions. But seeing that you had the balls to get on here and respond in that manner confirms our suspicions.

I think the whole point we are trying to portray is that you destroyed a feature of the trail that most enjoyed riding. The key to that corner was that you couldn't go around it, you had to learn how to navigate it like everyone else. That's why it was on the ADVANCED loop! I busted my but several times learning how to get over that rock, but once I learned how, I enjoyed it and used it as a challenge to better my skills. The point is you took away a feature everyone else liked, the left line is not the same as the original one. Everyone will naturally take the easy route and will not be forced to challenge themselves. I do appreciate your hard work in doing that, I know it couldn't have been easy, but lets focus that energy toward an area that benefits the trail for everyone, not just a select few. Gary and Ryan (and others) bust their butts to keep that trail in shape, and to do something like that is a slap in the face. Bottom line: Don't dumb down an advanced section.....EVER! If you have an idea for changing a trail, ASK FIRST!

Thanks for the entertainment! I'm out!
    Last edited by Slickwilly; 06-19-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Chet

46. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Have been speaking on the phone and on FB to the guy who took the sledgehammer to it and removed it. He did it on his own, without talking to anyone or getting any sort of concencus. He feels we should all have no problem with it, and acts as if he doesn't know why anyone would even care??! He feels it was 'dangerous for all riders' His opinion is that it shouldn't be there since everyone riding can't 'pick there front tire up'. Those were the actual words. I tried to explain that that part of the trail is already marked expert, and we have a complete beginner go-around for that section, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It's too late anyways.

Very frustrating. What steps can we take to try and make sure this sort of thing doesn't continue to happen to the trail?!!
    a rock like that wouldn't last a day at AEDC!!!!
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

48. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    How lame..... so I guess he'll just have to hire a construction crew to go out and "fix" Hamilton Creek?
    -Will

50. The following user says "Thank You" to BrotherLinus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherLinus View Post
    How lame..... so I guess he'll just have to hire a construction crew to go out and "fix" Hamilton Creek?
    maybe he can hire the construction worker from the Village People.. i think he likes to hang out over at the ned sheldon trailhead. =D
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    The only way there would ever be a rock like that at AEDC would be if someone brought it from Lock 4.

53. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Maintainer for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Geez - if you are going to go out there and do some work, at least build a jump or something. So this guy doesn't want to answer to a committee..but the entire MTB Community that rides that trail must adhere to his whims? I admire the initiative, but if you would have left the sledgehammer at home and taken the hour or so to session that spot, you would have been able to clean it by now.

55. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I know I'm new to the community but if anyone is interested in possibly pursing some sort of claim against this guy, I can probably help with that! I was out at Lock 4 for the first time today and it was obvious right that some work had been done there.

Thanks

Gents / ladies - there are still two lines to take and keep your crazy skills you all have worked so hard on. The rock is still in place without the sharp edge on the front. Skills on the top left "A line", faster launching line on the right "B line".
    SORBA could use some of your help and hard work finishing Bells Bend, which is a trail more suited to your riding style from the sounds of it. No custom modifications required.

58. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Flakpheiser for this useful post:

Thanks

Just do yourself a favor and stay off the new trail in Clarksville. It's built the way it is for a reason, and it'll stay that way.

Thanks
    Man am I glad I asked for a consensus before cutting out those two on PWP Hookman…

Gary

61. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Man am I glad I asked for a consensus before cutting out those two on PWP Hookman…
    I'm very happy you did also Gary and this modification at Lock 4 is just stupid and inconsiderate because a few people didn't like it. And I know who did it and it doesn't make it any better. Features like this are original and integral parts of a trail and need to be left alone weather everyone likes them or not. I've seen this type of thing happen time and time again on trails that I love. People think they are doing something good and have good intentions they think but their hard work is misguided. Cutting out a new downed tree or trimming the trail back would be so much more productive.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

63. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have to take some of the heat here for one of lock 4's best rider and volunteer. I am David Hardin, a Gallatin bike riding local since 1980, and the guy who got permission from the Parks Dept. to begin building Lock 4 in 1989. Most of all I am thankful, just to have to be allowed to ride in such beautiful park and I don't want to lose it. 2nd of all, I am thankful to the hundreds of volunteers that I have worked with over the years to build one of Nashville's most beloved trails. I have seen it have it such a fun and positive impact on so many lives, time spent with family, time spent with friends, and time spent having fun while exercising. and I am trying to take all the comments in a positive way.

My friend who did this "trail Improvement" may not of communicated this but he did so partly because of me. His belief in doing so was in the spirit of helping others. It was not in the spirit of helping himself. Himself personally has the enough ability and aerobic energy to just about be able to bunny hop the whole rock. No kidding. As I look at the pictures, he did the best that could be done to minimize risk and still keep it interesting. The skill and speed were not the problem with this feature. It was the falling hillside to your right, that was hurting people. Last year, After multiple instances of hospital related injuries, he and I went out there and reviewed the rock and the risk. And agreed it needed minimizing. I wasn't aware he was doing this yesterday, but In years past, right or wrong, this is how the entire trail has been built and maintained by myself and volunteers on their own time. Is there a better system???

I think we all want lock 4 to more Rad/flowy/and vertically challenged. I think we all want to see Lock 4 be sustained. If we had funding and better organization, we could build more technical stuff with improved signage, and IMBA government support. I would encourage SORBA to put together a North Nashville Chapter. I would gladly help with 100% if I knew it was positive and sustainable.

65. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to David Hardin for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    This has been a very interesting read. Now, all of us need to take a chill pill. I know that Mr. Simms loves that chill word. I can see both parties concerns. We should all be glad that we have the health and the ability to ride our bikes and have so much Dam* Fun in the woods. I never take it for granted. I love riding my bike most anywhere and on any trail with the exception of one. ROFLMAO So think before you speak and talk about kicking someone's butt. Not cool and I have a decent temper. Just go ride the trails or the road or gravel or wherever and smile when you are out there, going fast or slow. This is the best and most active message board I have been on and I know a lot of you personally, have ridden with you, and think this is a cool community. Mountain bikers are usually so much more laid back than most cyclists so try and keep it like that. Now go ride your dam*ed bike, smile and rail them like a mofo if you so choose. This too shall pass and then there will be some more drama.
    Last edited by Robert; 06-19-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    I am Facebook challenged.

67. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    a rock like that wouldn't last a day at AEDC!!!!
    Trixie has this exactly right; Maintainer and I work hard to keep a good , clean, every day open to ride trail at AEDC. May have some corner trees that Trix can't make. Dave Hardin makes an excellent case for the slanted rock modification ; I rode it on the high side , bounced off a rock and root and hoped I would not end up in the lake. I don't know when I will get back up there, but I know I will be happy with the modification.

I ride at Lock 4, Montgomery Bell and Raccoon Mountain.
    Thanks

I'm a 5' 2", stay at home mom with no biking or professional titles. I've cleared that rock and now clear it everytime. I just worked hard and was persistent. I can't believe you took that feature out! It's something I stressed about and was over joyed everytime I went over it. No, there is no "committee" to answer to but talking to Sorba or posting up here in advance would have been the respectful/right thing to do.
    I have now twice seen ur lack of respect for the mountain bike trail and community. The first time was the mess left behind after the xterrra race last yr and now removing old/original features because it's too hard for some people. I hope that this isn't fallen upon deaf ears and that maybe situations like these will be handle differently in the future.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    Me
    .Look Mom! No Gears!

70. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to roxiemichelle for this useful post:

I ride at Lock 4, Montgomery Bell and Raccoon Mountain.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    Trixie has this exactly right; Maintainer and I work hard to keep a good , clean, every day open to ride trail at AEDC. May have some corner trees that Trix can't make. Dave Hardin makes an excellent case for the slanted rock modification ; I rode it on the high side , bounced off a rock and root and hoped I would not end up in the lake. I don't know when I will get back up there, but I know I will be happy with the modification.
    If we took out every feature that I have fallen on out there, it would have nothing technical left. Yes, that includes a nice fall into the lake coming around a switchback. Maybe, we should drain the lake and fill it with foam.
    Last edited by roxiemichelle; 06-19-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    .Look Mom! No Gears!

72. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to roxiemichelle for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    This forum just got interesting! The drama!

74. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    no matter how hard u try u can not protect us from our selves

Thanks
    Not to change the subject but how is the trail otherwise? West side still in good shape? I'd like to make a run out there this weekend.
    -Will

Thanks
    Trail is in great shape, dirt is about perfect right now.

78. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thread Information