Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    If a chainsaw wielding ax-man has any time this weekend, I would be happy to help clear the tree. I don't have a chainsaw myself.

Thanks
    Experienced saw man here, i might make it out tomorrow afternoon ot perhaps Saturday. If i do, ill take care of that tree.

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Flatulentfox for this useful post:

Thanks
    I got out there today. I rode the first bit of the trail until I cam to the downed tree. It was much more of a mess than the picture led me to believe. Anyway, I rode back and got my stuff and hiked back in. A huge gross storm rolled in right as I was getting started. Perfect timing. Anyway, I got it all down, got soaked, and i think my phone may be dead now (it was dripping wet). The trail was like a creek hiking out. Im guessing it will be out of commission for a few days. That spot could still still use a once over with a rake, and the trail will need to be slightly rerouted around the root ball.

So of course, once I was back to the parking lot getting ready to leave, everything cleared up...

5. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Flatulentfox for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail tacky. Slick root and rock adventure day

Big thanks to flatulentfox for getting the tree removed

7. The following user says "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail tacky, rocks and roots are dry

9. The following user says "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

uploadfromtaptalk1441462586538.jpg

No updates to this thread in 2 weeks. Here's hammy after dark from last night's ride.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Awesome. Love that place. Hope to get out there maybe tomorrow. Peace.

Thanks
    Rode both side Monday, the trail is in amazing shape and fast as ever. Unfortunately the lake side hadmore hikers than bikers even though hiking's prohibited.

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Maybe I'll start riding down the Warner Woods Trail :\
    Cannondale Quick CX3
    Specialized Fatboy

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

It's leafy but good. There's a new tree down around a mile in, inside one of those smaller switchbacks. It looks rotted and is no problem to get around. I didn't attempt to move it as I was trying to beat sunset and didn't have my lights with me.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    The trails was in great shape on Sunday, rode both sides. There is some leaf cover but it didn't affect traction, the trail has never felt faster!

Ran into atkeast 5 hikers though, and kindly reminded them that the trails were only for MTBs.

17. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    I hope everyone is enjoying the chilly dry spell. Remember that Thursday January 7th (originally Jan 5th) will be our 2016 Annual Member Meeting at TailGate Brewery (7200 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN 37209). We welcome current, former and potential members to join us for this meeting. Tailgate has a full menu of good food, and they have great beer specials as well(21 and older to drink).Click Here

Thanks
    Still a little sloppy on the lake side, but very rideable. I spotted 3 Cougars. They were walking their dog. I think we need some no hiking sineage.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    IT WAS SCHWEET TODAY! Big thanks to whoever has done so much drain work out there! It has not gone unnoticed. Little to no mud, very little water. Bike was cleaner than after PWP yesterday. Weather wasn't too bad either.

Gary

22. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    You gotta let me know when you're heading out brother. I would have loved to ride Hammy today.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    It was at 4. Thought of you, but assumed you'd be at or heading to the hospital.

Gary

26. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode the BMX side today and the trail was in great shape. Just a few muddy spots, but all ride-able. There was a tree blocking the left cut around, at photo op drop. The spot near the end where it dips out into open near the lake, then back into woods, has some broken glass in the section where you re-enter the woods. I rode the 18th fastest lap of the year, so conditions had to be good as I am not that fast of a rider. https://www.strava.com/activities/533871074
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

28. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Mostly good stuff today. A few muddy spots, the worse being coming back into the woods at the lakeside loop-out.

Thanks again for the drain and armor work. Very nice improvements!

Gary

30. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Good stuff, t-day!

Gary

32. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Had a great ride today but was kinda wierded out in the parking lot. The parking lot on the expert side was packed. But no bike racks and all the cars have a lone guy just chilling in their car. Didnt see anyone one the trail. Why are 7 dudes just hanging out in a secluded parking lot chilling?

Thanks
    Same when we rode through, except no one in the vehicles. Either paired up walking or standing in/off the trail.

Think about it...

Gary

Thanks
    Yeah, the problem has moved from the other side of the park to the expert side. Don't back in! I have seen blankets and shirts laying in the woods around the parking area.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    As of this weekend the Ned Shelton side will be closed to parking. Metro Parks has given the ok to close it given the amount of suspect behavior there. It will be open to park for the Time Trial race on Sunday (if you are racing) but will be closed again after it is done that afternoon. Moving forward you will have to park at the lake side and either ride the road across Bell Road or the lake side trails to get to the Ned Shelton side.

If you are racing be there by noon, racing starts at 1pm. Good luck to all of the racers that come out! Will be running races for the next 4 weekends on Sundays. Same start time each date.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Hallelujah! Thanks, man! No more paper towels at the come-out. That didn't come out right. That didn't either...

Gary

38. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    As of this weekend the Ned Shelton side will be closed to parking. Metro Parks has given the ok to close it given the amount of suspect behavior there. It will be open to park for the Time Trial race on Sunday (if you are racing) but will be closed again after it is done that afternoon. Moving forward you will have to park at the lake side and either ride the road across Bell Road or the lake side trails to get to the Ned Shelton side.

If you are racing be there by noon, racing starts at 1pm. Good luck to all of the racers that come out! Will be running races for the next 4 weekends on Sundays. Same start time each date.
    So who decided this? Yes, there are too many lancers out there, but those of us that ride that trail frequently park there because the likelihood of your car being broken into is far less than the other parking lot. So the solution is NOT to patrol the parking lot, but to stop mountain bikers from parking there? This needs to be revisited.

Tim

40. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    It does feel like cutting your nose to spite your face. Crossing that road would be a major pain and like Tim said, that lot is definitely less likely to get your car broken into.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    It does feel like cutting your nose to spite your face. Crossing that road would be a major pain and like Tim said, that lot is definitely less likely to get your car broken into.
    i parked at lakeside and rode across bell road tuesday night. i was riding with a friend of mine that is new to riding and didn't think he could do the entire lakeside plus the advanced side, but i wanted to get him riding the other side so he could see how it was. the sketchiest part of my ride was getting across bell road in rush hour.

as a side note, when we were leaving i did see a girl parking next to the chain and getting out to walk her dog around that trailhead.
    --
    stephen

43. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    My first post on this forum isn't showing up. I'm in Nashville this weekend and was considering riding the Hamilton Creek Trails on Saturday. Is it in rideable condition with the rain Nasville had on Thursday?

Jack

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWIFT View Post
    My first post on this forum isn't showing up. I'm in Nashville this weekend and was considering riding the Hamilton Creek Trails on Saturday. Is it in rideable condition with the rain Nasville had on Thursday?

Jack
    Jack, it's showing as open right now ( http://trails.sorbamidtn.org ) but status hasn't been updated on anything in two days, so, take that with a grain of salt. In favor of the open status is that trails were dusty dry for the first time this year, and south and east of Nashville I suspect there was very little rain compared with north and west.

Thanks
    I've been riding it weekly and has been dry enough to soak it up. With the beautiful day we had today, should be primo. There may be a few wet holes, but otherwise, mighty fine!

Gary

47. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Hammy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    I've been riding it weekly and has been dry enough to soak it up. With the beautiful day we had today, should be primo. There may be a few wet holes, but otherwise, mighty fine!
    Appreciate the info Gary. Guess I'll ride it tomorrow morning.

Jack

Travel a bit - love that Tanassi Trail system. Raccoon Mtn is another fav. Recently been deprecated to what I can find in Nashville - lovely city it
    Thanks
    Wow .... 2 years silence and then... A POST

Thanks
    ?

Gary

Thanks

Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by djdano View Post
    Wow .... 2 years silence and then... A POST
    --
    stephen

52. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode hammy today, it's generally in good shape but many trees down. There is a huge problem on the advanced side that will need a chain saw.

54. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylevee View Post
    Rode hammy today, it's generally in good shape but many trees down. There is a huge problem on the advanced side that will need a chain saw.
    where is it? it must be a fresh fall with the latest storm. i rode the whole trail on tuesday last week and no trees were down.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    There was a large tree down on the BMX side when I rode on the 7th.

Thanks
    Trail was great, yesterday. Big tree still down on last leg of return.

Gary

58. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Good trial conditions. Lots of face slappers. Couple of new trees down.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Good trial conditions. Lots of face slappers. Couple of new trees down.
    Does anyone have a map of downed tree locations? I remember seeing something in the Facebook group. Is that the latest one?
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    Does anyone have a map of downed tree locations? I remember seeing something in the Facebook group. Is that the latest one?
    no map, but the location of 2 of them are.....

CW from lakeside trailhead less than .25 mi from where the shortcut trail reconnects
    CCW from lakeside trailhead immediately past the shortcut trail, on top of where a tree fell last year. there's a tiny log that you right over right after it.

i don't remember offhand the exact location/mileage to that one tree that is 12-15" diameter, but it is near the end of the lakeside trail on an uphill part if you are going CCW. it's less than a mile from the end...likely closer to .25 miles from the other tree that's down.
    --
    stephen

62. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Roger, on Stephen's last one, very near the "new" exit.

Seems like Lance, or someone else, posted a dropped pin on one of the other ones on FB NMB.

Maybe GMB Industries remembers…

Gary

64. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Closing the expert side parking lot is some homophobic bs. Cutting off own nose to spite your face, pants on head retarded. What "suspect behavior" has there been? Blankets?? is the only thing cited here. WTF! Blankets are a problem at park?? Riding the BMX side to the underpass is a workaround that adds 5 miles to an effort at doing the expert side loop. It's 2.5 miles from BMX lot to underpass. So in reality you have made the the expert side inaccessible to anyone with limited time or endurance. Unless they are willing to cross Bell road. I haven't dared, I am nervous enough busting a left out of there to go home in my car. Its not a good intersection/crossing point. I hate that I feel like I contributed to this stupidity. As my post here, about how the lot of full of non bikers appears to be the tipping point.

Thanks
    FYI there is still a tree down on the lake side. I'm not good at giving locations, but best I can say is: if you leave the main (unlocked) lot and head right (the longer route to subway), it's maybe 2/3rds of the way to subway. Can't remember if it's before or after photo op drop, but pretty close.

You have to leave the trail to go around it.

Also, someone, please come out and ride the 'advanced side.' It seems abandoned. There are spots where the path is almost completely taken over by brush, and the trail is having an easier time sprouting grass than my front yard.

Also, I can't keep clearing out all these spiderwebs on my own. Dear god, the spiderwebs...not empty ones, either... :(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    Closing the expert side parking lot is some homophobic bs. Cutting off own nose to spite your face, pants on head retarded. What "suspect behavior" has there been? Blankets?? is the only thing cited here. WTF! Blankets are a problem at park?? Riding the BMX side to the underpass is a workaround that adds 5 miles to an effort at doing the expert side loop. It's 2.5 miles from BMX lot to underpass. So in reality you have made the the expert side inaccessible to anyone with limited time or endurance. Unless they are willing to cross Bell road. I haven't dared, I am nervous enough busting a left out of there to go home in my car. Its not a good intersection/crossing point. I hate that I feel like I contributed to this stupidity. As my post here, about how the lot of full of non bikers appears to be the tipping point.
    Brady, sorry for your inconvenience, but I don't think your comment had a lot to do with the closure. I'd say the behavior by non-riders did. The last couple of times that I rode out there, before the closure, there was all manner of unmentionable debris left by the gays, with the last time, 4-5 couples wandering around on the trail and on the dead end. I'd say that was the cause, and gratefully so.

Gary

Thanks
    ... The last couple of times that I rode out there, before the closure, there was all manner of unmentionable debris left by the gays, with the last time, 4-5 couples wandering around on the trail and on the dead end. ...

I figured it was someone seen a public display of affection but this is even sillier. Well I assume since its hard to address "unmentionable debris". But wondering around at a trail head is hardly out of the norm. It is a park. Is walking the trail forbidden? The rules vary by park.

So of things that are mentionable, we have "blankets" and "wondering around", which are things normally done in a park. When you shut down a parking lot primarily used for mountain biking, it's the mountain bikers that suffer.

Thanks
    Get any rain out there, yesterday afternoon or night?

Gary

Thanks
    That answer would be no. Great conditions this morning. Found Hoopty and Outlaw clearing the big mess of a tree. Thanks, y'all! Lots of slappers and first-one-through spiders, otherwise a great ride with my ole pal GMB Industries! All clear!

Gary

71. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    If you dont like crossing Bell Road and want the parking lot reopened, please contact Metro Parks Dept at Phone: (615) 862-8400 and email MetroParks@nashville.gov . Also contact SORBA at http://www.sorbamidtn.org/contact/ and email President – Jason Campbell, president@sorbamidtn.org .

This crap is unacceptable. Speak up, dont let these homophobes ruin things or get someone killed crossing Bell Road.

Thanks
    you should find pedestrian persons of ANY orientation having sexual relations on a designated MTB trail and a police dept that turns a blind eye to it unacceptable, and judging by your observations you either don't ride there much or want it to take place because 99% of the time I've ridden there I have seen more happening than what you describe, you must think that a "trailhead" extends 1/4 mile into the trail? Well it doesn't and it creates dangerous conditions for MTB riders and those on foot who shouldn't be there to begin w.

Thread Information