Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    There's a hydrant by the port-a-jon. Way convenient to hose off. I bring a 3' hose scrap that work mighty fine.

Gary

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Change machine.. I shut the door on it for this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Is it on the right or left of the trail, going counterclockwise?

Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Is it on the right or left of the trail, going counterclockwise?
    Counter clockwise on lakeside.. It's on the right a little ways past that big leaning tree. There's a little ditch just past it with roots at the top of it.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Hamilton Creek has become the wild west man - short cuts appearing everywhere, trail sections being closed - trail is not discernible by new riders anymore. It's madness!

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Let's just wear-in the "real" trail!

Gary

10. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

I think there's a new shortcut just about every time I ride there. When in doubt, the harder or longer route is probably the right one
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Short-cut to where? Around the fun stuff?

Gary

Thanks
    I rode the east side loop today. There was a fallen tree making the trail unrideable. Even getting off the bike, it was awkward having to turn the bike sideways just to walk the the trail. Otherwise, very nice, just a couple rocks were a little wet. Should be completely dry by morning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    I rode the east side loop today. There was a fallen tree making the trail unrideable. Even getting off the bike, it was awkward having to turn the bike sideways just to walk the the trail. Otherwise, very nice, just a couple rocks were a little wet. Should be completely dry by morning.
    yeah that one has been down for 2 or 3 weeks. I don't have a chainsaw and it is too big to just push out of the way. the last time I was out there, it looked like someone had cleared some of the brush from under it to the right to make it easier to get under.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    How are the trail conditions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoodman View Post
    How are the trail conditions?
    Sweet, with exception of a few downed trees.

Mark

Thanks
    Uzzi I agree, I definitely spotted a guy walking his bike down a trail that I have never seen before, i thought about telling him he was off-trail but I'm sure he figured that out. I'm just happy to see people on bikes out there, I was getting lonely riding out there and only seeing "hikers" near the ned shelton trailhead.

Trail is very dry and dusty. There is the one tree leaning kind of caddywompus across the trail after photo-op drop(going counterclockwise), it looks like there's a go-around forming but its not to hard to duck under. Pinnacle side is flowing super fast right now. And the bay is the perfect temp for a post ride swim! Go Get ya some!
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chasethis View Post

Trail is very dry and dusty. There is the one tree leaning kind of caddywompus across the trail after photo-op drop(going counterclockwise), it looks like there's a go-around forming but its not to hard to duck under. Pinnacle side is flowing super fast right now. And the bay is the perfect temp for a post ride swim! Go Get ya some!

if it's the tree that i took a pic of... that's triple op drop that it's past, not photo op. i haven't seen any trees down near photo op drop in a while.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Rode Pisgah all weekend with no problems, shredded a sidewall at Hamilton creek on my way back into town.....

20. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Does anyone make a Kevlar banded tire?

Gary

Thanks

Does anyone make a Kevlar banded tire?
    Maxxis has some called exo that have thicker sidewalls. I had some ignitor exos for a while. They have them in a few other models too.
    --
    stephen

23. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks

Also, definitely no trees down near photo op. I rode the whole trail today and the only downed trees are the one near the change machine just past triple op and one on pinnacle side a half mile or so clockwise from the tunnel.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Maxxis has some called exo that have thicker sidewalls. I had some ignitor exos for a while. They have them in a few other models too.
    This. I'm running Ardent EXO's set up tubeless front and rear on my FS bike, 2.4 up front, 2.25 out back. I picked them up because of their reputation for being hard to cut the side walls on, since I like finding rocks, especially when I head back home. So far, no flats in 8 months, both tires are wearing well (full disclosure: I probably ride my SS more than my FS) and traction has been really good every except Percy Warner the other day, where I think street tires would have worked better.

26. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, flying in to Nashville on Tuesday, renting a bike and riding down to Hamilton Creek. Any advice for first time riders? I read all the business here, just want to make the most of my limited 2-3hr window to ride this place. Also, is there a lot of poison ivy that I should be aware of? Any help would be appreciated.

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Hey man, you should easily be able to navigate around the whole thing in well under 2 hours. I would park at the Main entrance and not at the Ned Shelton entrance. Also, the kiosk that has the maps has wasps that have got several of my buddies out there, so watch out for them. I've never had any trouble with poison ivy out there, but I do always spray for chiggers this time of year as they can be pretty bad.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

29. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stanley View Post
    Hey guys, flying in to Nashville on Tuesday, renting a bike and riding down to Hamilton Creek. Any advice for first time riders? I read all the business here, just want to make the most of my limited 2-3hr window to ride this place. Also, is there a lot of poison ivy that I should be aware of? Any help would be appreciated.
    You should be aware that this trail is a bit of a grindr....

31. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    John, I'd be glad to show you around if I can. There is poison ivy. I'm allergic and have found that if I put an oil coating, typically Avon's Skin-So-Soft, on my calves, I don't have a problem. S-S-S also works as a bug repellant.
    Hamilton Creek is by far the most technical trail in the area (the term "technical" is relative). Rocks and roots. Unless you're accustom to riding that stuff on a hard tail, I suggest renting a full squish.

Post up on Upcoming Events as to your riding plans on Monday and feel free to call me (615) five 3three-4oh9one. As with most trails, it's nice to have a lead on the first go-round.

Gary

Thanks

Can someone who owns a chainsaw go cut that tree out that is diagonal across the trail near the change machine? I don't own and have never used a chainsaw, and I'd prefer to not rent one and risk losing a hand, foot, arm, etc.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I wouldn't mind cutting it, but not excited about a 6 mile hike with a saw on my shoulder. Any way to pin it on a map so I could see how best to bushwhack to it. I'm assuming coming in somewhere off Murf. Rd. would be shortest.

Gary

35. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I wouldn't mind cutting it, but not excited about a 6 mile hike with a saw on my shoulder. Any way to pin it on a map so I could see how best to bushwhack to it. I'm assuming coming in somewhere off Murf. Rd. would be shortest.
    Gary,
    This is what I got...
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/36...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0
    There are also 2 or 3 near the exit going CCW. One of which is on the re-opened section for the last FTF/race. Walk in from Lake Side TH, then first left about halfway to next intersection.

There is also one on Ned Shelton side. If you drive on Ned Shelton Rd, away from Ned Shelton trail head. Park at the last extraction point (nearest Smith Springs Rd, #8, I think), walk into trail, then CW... there is another maybe 100 yards.

You have my #, if you need it,
    Mark
    Sending PM, as well.

Thanks
    if you go in on lakeside, turn left and take that rocky cutoff to the return trail. then go up the short loop connector and turn right when you reach the main trail. it's less than a mile from the trailhead.

here is my best guess on a map. it's not too far past triple op drop if you are going CCW, so if you are coming from the return loop shortcut, it will be past the change machine and before triple op.

thanks!
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Stephen and I are pretty far off on location...

My locations were obtained from a GPS phone app ( I cannot speak for its accuracy), if it matters.

Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
    Stephen and I are pretty far off on location...

My locations were obtained from a GPS phone app ( I cannot speak for its accuracy), if it matters.

Mark
    mine was a guess. it's between the change machine and triple op, wherever that is. i know that if you do the lakeside and do the first cutoff, that you get about 1.75 miles or so, so either way you go into the trail, it's going to be less than a mile to get to the tree.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    My plan to get out there tomorrow got adjusted. Maybe Sat. morning. As far as I know, I don't have anything else working. Probably 8:30 if anybody else is interested. Cut a little, ride a little.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    and after this rain, slip a little, slide a little.
    I am Facebook challenged.

42. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    John, I'd be glad to show you around if I can. There is poison ivy. I'm allergic and have found that if I put an oil coating, typically Avon's Skin-So-Soft, on my calves, I don't have a problem.
    You better be careful oiling up your calves out there Homer...just saying.

44. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tim, wanna join me in the morning for cut and ride? No oil.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanks to Questionmark, the trail's all clear. Found a new big un a little before Photo-op on the following ride. Went back and got it out of the way.

Trail's good to go. No mud, but wet tires and moist roots and rocks make for sketchy going.

Gary

47. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks to Homer for clearing trees... And spider webs on the ride that followed.

Mark

49. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Clearing (sawing). I don't mind. Web clearing, another story...

Gary

Thanks
    Clearing (sawing). I don't mind. Web clearing, another story...
    did you happen to find the change machine while you were walking around out there?
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I did! Right in the drain, on the right. First time I've noticed it. I suppose I'm usually coming into the draw so hot that I'm concentrating on the rocks vs. looking around. Unbelievable that I've missed it. I mean, it's RIGHT THERE!

Gary

Thanks
    I did! Right in the drain, on the right. First time I've noticed it. I suppose I'm usually coming into the draw so hot that I'm concentrating on the rocks vs. looking around. Unbelievable that I've missed it. I mean, it's RIGHT THERE!
    have you seen the old car beside the trail on the other side of bell road?

=D
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Which one? One blue and one white.

Gary

Thanks
    Which one? One blue and one white.
    blue.. i think it's a ford fairlane or a plymouth something.
    Last edited by drwx; 08-12-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Hammy is all good. There's a few slick spots but a majority of the roots and rocks are dry. There's hardly any mud and my tires are completely clean after the ride.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthelyon View Post
    Hey man, you should easily be able to navigate around the whole thing in well under 2 hours. I would park at the Main entrance and not at the Ned Shelton entrance. Also, the kiosk that has the maps has wasps that have got several of my buddies out there, so watch out for them. I've never had any trouble with poison ivy out there, but I do always spray for chiggers this time of year as they can be pretty bad.
    Thanks for the follow up guys. My work consumed me so unfortunately I've already come and gone from Nashville. My flight was delayed an hour so I really only had enough time to ride from the shop in Hermitage to hit the East side (by the lake) to get to my hotel for a work dinner. I hit it in a clockwise direction. Was real fun but I think the trail is cut to flow better the other way. A few spots that were confusing and I had to backtrack but luckily I studied the map and watched a few videos before getting there. Pretty difficult to get lost. Great trail. Love the ledgy-ness with all the shale. Different from NJ round embedded babyhead rocks. Surely easy to rip a sidewall there. Will be sure to hit this place again if I get back there. Saw a couple of black snakes, not sure if that's common. Hopefully Pisgah and Dupont next summer. BTW, that BMX track looks like Hell track from the movie Rad with those paved berms. Wish the gates weren't locked up! With that said, stay rad guys!

Thanks
    John, I'd be glad to show you around if I can. There is poison ivy. I'm allergic and have found that if I put an oil coating, typically Avon's Skin-So-Soft, on my calves, I don't have a problem. S-S-S also works as a bug repellant.
    Hamilton Creek is by far the most technical trail in the area (the term "technical" is relative). Rocks and roots. Unless you're accustom to riding that stuff on a hard tail, I suggest renting a full squish.

Post up on Upcoming Events as to your riding plans on Monday and feel free to call me (615) five 3three-4oh9one. As with most trails, it's nice to have a lead on the first go-round.
    Yea, I saw in the videos. I ride a hardtail in NJ on stuff equal to or more techy. So, other than chattering my teeth in a few spots, I was already prepared to 'suffer' with the hardtail I rented. Not sure about the west side but there isn't really any brutally long climbs on the east side. Would be cool to ride with a SS set up, imo. Not sure if that's common amongst the regulars there but FullSus would've been more fun for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Stanley View Post
    Thanks for the follow up guys. My work consumed me so unfortunately I've already come and gone from Nashville. My flight was delayed an hour so I really only had enough time to ride from the shop in Hermitage to hit the East side (by the lake) to get to my hotel for a work dinner. I hit it in a clockwise direction. Was real fun but I think the trail is cut to flow better the other way. A few spots that were confusing and I had to backtrack but luckily I studied the map and watched a few videos before getting there. Pretty difficult to get lost. Great trail. Love the ledgy-ness with all the shale. Different from NJ round embedded babyhead rocks. Surely easy to rip a sidewall there. Will be sure to hit this place again if I get back there. Saw a couple of black snakes, not sure if that's common. Hopefully Pisgah and Dupont next summer. BTW, that BMX track looks like Hell track from the movie Rad with those paved berms. Wish the gates weren't locked up! With that said, stay rad guys!
    Ccw on both sides is the way I normally go. Just take all the rights and you'll hit the whole trail. The only confusing part is where you cross the road at the ned Sheldon trailhead parking lot.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Any updates lately? I know we've been getting rain, so just wondering. Wanting to ride here with my son on Sunday.
    CHIEF

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VTOne View Post
    Any updates lately? I know we've been getting rain, so just wondering. Wanting to ride here with my son on Sunday.
    http://trails.sorbamidtn.org/

This is the new best place to check on trail Open/Closed Status. Feel free to post downed trees or other concerns here, though.

Sunday is looking like a good day to ride if we don't get too much rain on Saturday.

Mark

62. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rain? Saturday? Why would it do that?

VTOne (Is VT, Virginia Tech?), coming from Cookeville, Lock 4 may be as close as Hamilton Creek (if you take the Pumping Station Rd. short cut). It's in decent shape. There are races this weekend starting around 2 on Saturday thru 3 on Sunday.
    Last edited by homer; 09-04-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Gary

64. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    That's Mark and Homer.
    Homer, VT One is the bike I ride, it's a Giant VT One. Oldie, but real goodie. LOL We ride early Sunday mornings, I was gonna head to Hamilton Creek because of the race going on in Lock4. I would prefer to ride @ Lock4 since my son is coming, but I love riding Hamilton Creek. Haven't had anything that technical in years.
    Will Lock4 be ok to ride Sunday morning?
    CHIEF

Thanks
    The first race Sunday goes off at 9:00 am. You'd have to be off the trail by then. Last race starts at 1:00 so it will probably be safe to ride the trail again starting at 2:00. Otherwise, between 9:00 and 2:00 it will be occupied by racers.

67. The following user says "Thank You" to ttusomeone for this useful post:

Thread Information