Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    OK, that's what I was thinking. Thanks Josh. We'll just go ride Hammy.
    CHIEF

Thanks
    The trail is listed as "Avoid", but in actuality it's dry, tacky, and as good as I've ever seen it.

Lots of hikers out there today, unfortunate because it is labeled at the entrance as bikes only.

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by Kylevee View Post
    The trail is listed as "Avoid", but in actuality it's dry, tacky, and as good as I've ever seen it.

Lots of hikers out there today, unfortunate because it is labeled at the entrance as bikes only.
    One day I saw a guy ride up to the map on a dirt bike. He thought about it and then left.

I don't mind the hikers and joggers as long as they move to the side to let me by.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    The trail was tacky!! I had a nice ride out there Sunday morning. Did the lakeside trail twice. It was actually smoother than I remember it to be. Obviously, having 6" of travel helps things alot. I did get a little turned around where the trails all connect down by the lake. Needs some signs. LOL
    CHIEF

Thanks
    Hey everyone. Never been to Hamilton creek and I live right up the road. Anyone going out today? How are the conditions?

Thanks
    Hey everyone. First time going and it was great out there this morning. The weather was perfect for riding today.

Thanks
    Great ride today, lots of hikers on both sides and even a dog off the leash. We need some more sineage that the trail is for bikes only.

Thanks

Dogs off leash

Great ride today, lots of hikers on both sides and even a dog off the leash. We need some more sineage that the trail is for bikes only.
    Also rode today, trail were great, the dogs I saw were with bikers running loose

Thanks
    Had a solid ride at Hammy today, first time there and loved it.

It's missing some signage though and I got lost a few times. Would anyone be opposed to me putting up some directional signage to make it more navigable? I know the vets know the trails, but there are probably a good number of us that take a wrong turn and head of into gnarnia.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    That would be fine, except different folks ride it different directions (clockwise/ccw). ID-ing the cut-outs would probably be acceptable.

Gary

Thanks
    Awesome, so it should be ok if I keep super minimal and only to the main branch-offs/cutouts. If it pisses anyone off, feel free to take off the markings.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to TheThriller for this useful post:

Thanks

Will (brotherlinus) and I cleared a rotted tree about halfway through lakeside. It was obvious that people had been riding it because of the chainring marks on it... But it was also very obvious that it wasn't stable and was rotten all the way through. It broke in half when we picked it up.

Other than that, it's just really dusty out there.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

14. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Will (brotherlinus) and I cleared a rotted tree about halfway through lakeside. It was obvious that people had been riding it because of the chainring marks on it... But it was also very obvious that it wasn't stable and was rotten all the way through. It broke in half when we picked it up.

Other than that, it's just really dusty out there.
    If there is no boasting or picture evidence, it didn't happen!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    If there is no boasting or picture evidence, it didn't happen!
    Caber Toss 2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-es44Xrng96...ber+Toss+2.gif
    --
    stephen

17. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Great ride, but the lakeside was plagued with more hikers and 2 off leash dogs. Be careful out there.

Thanks
    Great ride, but the lakeside was plagued with more hikers and 2 off leash dogs. Be careful out there.
    tonight i saw 3 deer walking down the trail just past photo-op drop. I yelled at them and said, "Don't you stupid deer know that this trail is for mountain bikes only". They just stared at me in disbelief. I then yelled, "Well how about I just call park police and report you for trespassing". They high-tailed it out of there before I could get my phone out.
    --
    stephen

20. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hows the trail looking for riding today?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheThriller View Post
    Hows the trail looking for riding today?
    I did 3 lakeside laps. It was good but lots of little sticks kept getting stuck in my wheels and drivetrain. It is leafier than it was on Tuesday like it suddenly became fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I did a full lap and It is crazy leafy! And it's not just leaves there are all these small branches with a few leaves everywhere. It's like some trimmed the hedges, except everywhere! It was almost difficult to follow the trail in places. But super dry everywhere and very tacky! It's fast if you can find the line.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Holy cow, was it awesome out there this afternoon! Incredible weather and great trail conditions (minus all the twigs). Took our time and played around with different lines with Ryanthelyon and gmb industries. What fun! Ran into Questionmark going "the wrong way".

I love this trail.

Gary

25. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    It's clearly posted that says the trails are for bikes only. Mixed use trails lead to conflict and in most cases bikes take the heat, up to and including being banned.

We need clearer signs to tell hikers to go to Radnor.

Thanks
    "MT. BIKE TRAIL! WALK AT OWN RISK." ?

Gary

Thanks
    homer i saw you guys out there Sunday. I was heading towards the tunnel to go back to the lake side. you guys look fast

I've never met an hiker that wasn't courteous. I don't personally see the problem with them being there....as long as they know bikes take precedent. Trails are for everyone. And let's be honest: how many times have you ridden a hike-only trail?
    Do It Better

29. The following user says "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    Its mostly the dogs that freak out when they see us shredding and chase another 2 miles down the trail.

Thanks
    Hollar next time, chase!

Gary

Thanks
    Trail tacky, rocks and roots are dry

Thanks
    It's clearly posted that says the trails are for bikes only. Mixed use trails lead to conflict and in most cases bikes take the heat, up to and including being banned.

We need clearer signs to tell hikers to go to Radnor.
    There is little chance that a hiker-biker exchange slash altercation would lead to anything meaningful every happening at Hamilton Creek. Hamilton Creek is MTB only, but who the heck cares if someone is hiking or walking their very well behaved and non-threatening pooch.

34. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Dogs don't know how to act around bikes, and it's easy to see how one could jump out infront of a bike. On busier trails it happens all the time, leash or not. We have a unique and cherished situation where bike and hiking trails are segregated here, and it would be nice to keep it that way. I've seen it happen all over the west coast, on mixed use trails if there is a conflict it's the bikes that get penalized.

Thanks
    Dogs don't know how to act around bikes, and it's easy to see how one could jump out infront of a bike. On busier trails it happens all the time, leash or not. We have a unique and cherished situation where bike and hiking trails are segregated here, and it would be nice to keep it that way. I've seen it happen all over the west coast, on mixed use trails if there is a conflict it's the bikes that get penalized.

IMHO, hamilton creek needs all of the legit traffic it can get. we are lucky to have what we have and there's so much shady crap happening that i 100% welcome any traffic that isn't going to go out into the woods to play butt darts. if you don't like the joggers, stay on the ned sheldon side. i've rarely ever seen any joggers over there.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Let me also remind everything that is is "illegal" to have an unleashed dog at any of Metro's fine parks. That being said - as much of a "Anti-Dog On The Public Trail" kind of guy, if your dog is behaved and used to bikes, I doubt you'd get many complaints. But I have run into people who's dog was not a good trail dog and it was an issue. Remember, you would be liable if your unleashed dog caused injury to someone while on the trail. Not sure why you would want to open yourself up to such liability.

I don't mind hikers or joggers - as long as they get their butts OFF the trail when we come by. How can they NOT hear my free wheel buzzing down the trail coming up behind them? That is what I don't get.

38. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I don't mind hikers or joggers - as long as they get their butts OFF the trail when we come by. How can they NOT hear my free wheel buzzing down the trail coming up behind them? That is what I don't get.
    Headphones. I've had people not hear (maybe I should type that 'not hear') my cowbell when I come up behind them. Seriously. It's a cowbell. Ziptied to the rails on my saddle.

40. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    We need more Cowbell on trails.
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Thanks
    I have a Mississippi State sized one that I need to mojo up. Oh, I wonder what it weighs...

Gary

43. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    I was riding HC a few years ago and there was some really attractive young lady jogging, I caught up to her and was surprised she was out jogging alone at HC - but also surprised she wasn't moving out of the way. I patiently rode behind saying "Hey can I get by?" Still, nothing. I tried again a little louder. Nothing. I'm sure it scared the tattoo off her lower back, but I finally just came around her. You guessed it. Headphones.

46. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Headphones are a bane to anyone. It beats me why people don't want to be aware of their surroundings.
    I am Facebook challenged.

48. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Headphones are a bane to anyone. It beats me why people don't want to be aware of their surroundings.
    it sort of makes sense to wear headphones for a jog or bike ride...just not on a mountain bike trail. I wear them regularly on the greenway. if you listen to fast music, it encourages you to keep a faster pace and keep your heartrate high.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Boo on Robert! When I ride alone I usually have some turns to accompany me, but I don't have it so loud I can't hear. I think Robert rides so much he has made friends with the animals at Percy Warner and they keep him company on all his rides!

Thanks
    I don't need tunes to keep me company. I have my, I say I have my cowbell to keep me company!

52. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    it sort of makes sense to wear headphones for a jog or bike ride...just not on a mountain bike trail. I wear them regularly on the greenway. if you listen to fast music, it encourages you to keep a faster pace and keep your heartrate high.
    If you can listen and be aware of your surroundings, then go for it. I cannot tell you how many times I have been riding on the roads of PWP and said on your left or right to a runner or walker and they are startled when I pass them. Must have that mother up pretty loud. In this day and age I want to be aware of what is around me and take in the natural sounds. And, Tim, speaking of my animal friends, I had and owl swoop close on Toy Box late this afternoon. Said he was your cousin. ;) Big mother of a bird and so pretty. I mean within about 2 feet of me. Good stuff that no radio could ever give me. Oops, I meant Ipod. Whoa, showing my age.

Thanks

If you can listen and be aware of your surroundings, then go for it. I cannot tell you how many times I have been riding on the roads of PWP and said on your left or right to a runner or walker and they are startled when I pass them. Must have that mother up pretty loud. In this day and age I want to be aware of what is around me and take in the natural sounds. And, Tim, speaking of my animal friends, I had and owl swoop close on Toy Box late this afternoon. Said he was your cousin. ;) Big mother of a bird and so pretty. I mean within about 2 feet of me. Good stuff that no radio could ever give me. Oops, I meant Ipod. Whoa, showing my age.
    What does it even matter? At least half the time, they step in the wrong direction anyway.
    --
    stephen

55. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    What does it even matter? At least half the time, they step in the wrong direction anyway.
    Not that I have noticed. Usually, when they can hear me, they say thanks.

Thanks

Not that I have noticed. Usually, when they can hear me, they say thanks.
    "I'm on your left"... Then they step to their left to turn around and look. If there's 2 people walking together, all bets are off as to which directions they'll go.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    "I'm on your left"... Then they step to their left to turn around and look. If there's 2 people walking together, all bets are off as to which directions they'll go.
    They'll grab one anothers arms and go opposite directions. I haven't actually had one of these groups yell "Clothesline!" yet, but I keep expecting it to happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    They'll grab one anothers arms and go opposite directions. I haven't actually had one of these groups yell "Clothesline!" yet, but I keep expecting it to happen.
    if they do, just yell "red rover red rover, send my bike right over".... then plow through their arms and don't look back.

just last night, i came up behind 2 people walking. when i was about 20 feet back from them, i yelled "i'm on your left" as i started to go to the left. they both stepped left, so i yelled "or I'm on your right".
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Back on topic, has anyone been to hammy the past day or so to see if it's dry?
    --
    stephen

Thanks

It's all good. Lots of little twigs to pull out of your drivetrain, but nothing major. It was dry enough.

Side note, someone stole or moved the change machine. It wasn't where it normally is. I looked around in the area and didn't see it.
    --
    stephen

62. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    It rocked, today! Numerous trees down, of assorted sizes, but my recollection is that they were rideable or made to be. One mud hole on the whole trail. I call that good.

Oh, the leaves will scoot on ya.

Gary

64. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Lakeside is good. There were a couple of sketchy looking cars in the parking lot when we were leaving. Two more pulled in as we were getting to bell road.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    i think these guys were out there last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1j4mK6cs_A
    --
    stephen

Thread Information