Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Anyone been to hammy lately?
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    I was there yesterday, not too bad, fair amount of leaf coverage. still a good ride.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Any update? Would love to give it a go, tomorrow.

Gary

Thanks

Yeah I rode it yesterday. There's a couple of muddy spots that have been muddy since the spring. Other than that, it's all leaves and good. No trees down and not a ton of twigs on the trail.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ugh…

Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Ugh…
    No way
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    My previous post was in response to the whatever-language-jibberish that was posted before, and obviously deleted by mod.

Gary

Thanks

My previous post was in response to the whatever-language-jibberish that was posted before, and obviously deleted by mod.
    Oh... I thought it was about how sloppy hammy probably is after all the rain.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Trail was in excellent shape today the few lingering muddy spots were mostly frozen. Great fun.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to TM. for this useful post:

Thanks

Lakeside was about 75% good. The rest was slop. Also there is a large tree down about .5 miles before photo op. It isn't laying across the trail.. It's more directly down the middle of the trail at a slight angle.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Any update on the conditions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    It's more directly down the middle of the trail at a slight angle.
    Potential for skinny?

Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcast View Post
    Any update on the conditions?
    Advanced side was fine today. Just a few small mud holes (the usual).
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

16. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode today. I'd say 90% of the trail is awesome and fast. 5% was soft but not too bad, and the other 5% was quagmire.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Slick37075 for this useful post:

Thanks
    It's calling my name!

Gary

Thanks
    It's calling my name!
    Go to it Gary. It is sweet trail for this time of year.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+

Thanks
    Anybody know conditions at hammy?

Thanks
    SORBA site says it's closed until in dries out more. Percy Warner and Lock 4 are open. I would try those trails today.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    i probably wouldn't trust the SORBA site for hammy. the only way you are going to know if it's dry is by going out there, since hardly anyone seems to post any updates. I've ridden hammy numerous times and it was bone dry when the sorba site said it was closed. They aren't going to know the conditions there unless someone goes out, looks, and reports back to them. the only trail that gets regular, dependable status info is percy warner.
    --
    stephen

24. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Road the front loop a bit earlier. 90% was dry, but the wet was wet and the mud was muddy, especially making that turn back into the woods after you pop out by the playground there for a second. Also, blew my front tire out on photo-op drop so if anyone sees a front tooth laying around there in a puddle of Stans, its mine....

26. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TheThriller for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    i probably wouldn't trust the SORBA site for hammy. the only way you are going to know if it's dry is by going out there, since hardly anyone seems to post any updates. I've ridden hammy numerous times and it was bone dry when the sorba site said it was closed. They aren't going to know the conditions there unless someone goes out, looks, and reports back to them. the only trail that gets regular, dependable status info is percy warner.
    If you or someone you know can provide info on this trail we would appreciate it. The problem right now is we have no one close to check on it before/after work or when it is convenient. We make guesses based on the weather and other factors but you are right without someone laying eyes on it is impossible to know for sure so we usually err on the side of closing it if there has been a lot of rain recently or if it is freeze/thawing a lot. Lock 4, Warner and Cane ridge have people close that stop by and pass along info. Montgomery Bell's ranger passes along info but also has the phone number for status info. We are always looking for more info for hammy, shutes or any trail for that matter.

The most important times are after it rains and when the weather is swinging above and below freezing. The info needed is an assessment of how dry the trail is and how much damage would be caused if it received a lot of riding traffic. Feel free to post info here or submit a report on the trail status site.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

28. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    If you or someone you know can provide info on this trail we would appreciate it. The problem right now is we have no one close to check on it before/after work or when it is convenient. We make guesses based on the weather and other factors but you are right without someone laying eyes on it is impossible to know for sure so we usually err on the side of closing it if there has been a lot of rain recently or if it is freeze/thawing a lot. Lock 4, Warner and Cane ridge have people close that stop by and pass along info. Montgomery Bell's ranger passes along info but also has the phone number for status info. We are always looking for more info for hammy, shutes or any trail for that matter.

The most important times are after it rains and when the weather is swinging above and below freezing. The info needed is an assessment of how dry the trail is and how much damage would be caused if it received a lot of riding traffic. Feel free to post info here or submit a report on the trail status site.
    I wish I lived close enough to it to provide updates. I generally update here whenever I've been riding.

Maybe someone should strike a deal with the dudes that hang out there everyday, although we would only get status updates on the first hundred yards or so of trail that way.
    --
    stephen

30. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks

One more thing... What hammy really needs is a work day to fix the spots that have been wet for 2 years and kill all of the shortcuts people have been creating on the insides of turns and hard sections.
    --
    stephen

32. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks

Thumbs up I Down for a Work/Ride/Fun Hammy Day!!!

One more thing... What hammy really needs is a work day to fix the spots that have been wet for 2 years and kill all of the shortcuts people have been creating on the insides of turns and hard sections.

Sounds great to me!! This is the best trail around for me!!!
    It's close and always a challenge!!!

I'm ready to love on this trail and be part of taking ownership of it to keep dibs on it!!

I'm free generally any time in the evenings and will have lots more time once school is out.

Thank you for mentioning the needs of this trail!!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Me, not Indian!! Me, can't write!! Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outlawinlycra View Post
    Sounds great to me!! This is the best trail around for me!!!
    It's close and always a challenge!!!

I'm ready to love on this trail and be part of taking ownership of it to keep dibs on it!!

I'm free generally any time in the evenings and will have lots more time once school is out.

Thank you for mentioning the needs of this trail!!

Yvonne
    I haven't been out since January, so no clue which spots are bad now. I'm going to ride sometime this weekend and will make notes of areas that need the most work. Next weekend I'm busy, but can work here on 4/25 if some more people want to come help.

I already know a few areas that have been awful and muddy for a while.
    --
    stephen

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    I just finished Hammy. There's more quaggy mud than I like to ride in, but the good parts are real good and the bad parts are real bad and won't be good for a while. I'd say between 5 and 10% of the trail is just doo doo. Right before you get to the neighborhood is the worst. Not sure what each section is called.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+

38. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Slick37075 for this useful post:

Thanks

Each pic should have gps info in the exif data. Also, this isn't all of the spots. There were so many that I got tired of taking pics about halfway through the pinnacle side. I'd say it is about 85-90% excellent.. The other parts are so muddy that they are hard to walk through.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    stephen

40. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    now that i'm at a computer, i can give rough locations of the pics, specifically the trees. there are 2 leaning trees (one of them has 2 pics , 1 from each side).

there is one (1st and 4th pic) that is leaning onto another tree in the first pic. that is just before the pinnacle climb if you are going CCW from the pinnacle trailhead. it possibly will fall with the next strong storm that comes through.

The other leaner (2nd pic) is kind of a Y-shaped tree in the appian way area. it isn't new, but looks like it is slowly creeping lower and lower.

the 5th pic has a tree, but the tree can probably be moved. that won't solve the problem here. this is just before the parking lot in fiddleback. a tree had fallen there around 2 years ago and been moved to the side. now it appears that the entire 10 foot section there has turned to crap. The mud is at least 6 inches deep and even if it were dry, this section would suck.

all of the other muddy spots that i took pics of are between the tunnel and fiddleback, except I did also take 1 pic of the section immediately after you go back into the woods near the lake.
    --
    stephen

42. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    We rode Friday and the lakeside was in better shape than expected. The only bad lakeside areas were the usual ones within the first couple of hundred yards from the trailhead and approaching the tunnel. The pinnacle side was mostly dry - tacky from the tunnel to Fiddleback and beyond. At some point near the helipad and beyond, the the trail had several pockets of mud a couple of inches deep.

The growth was making the trail a little tight. There were no trees down that could not be hopped. Despite all that it was a blast to ride as usual. On NOAA, it showed only an estimated 1/4 inch of rain on Saturday night. The lakeside should be good to go by now. The other side may be a little sketchy for awhile.

44. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just finished first part of lake side , good to go. Questionmark and I cleaned out some of the mud holes on pinn side on saturday

46. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Lakeside loop was nice today. A few slightly muddy patches but it's pretty much cleared up. Its a fun trail. I filled my backpack with trash I found. That really makes me mad

48. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gibsonh90 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anybody know the current trail conditions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboing View Post
    Anybody know the current trail conditions?
    Yesterday the rain guage just north of hammy got .82". If it gets no rain today and tomorrow it might be slick rock and root adventure on thursday.

51. The following user says "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    according to the radar, strong rain is moving through the hamilton creek area right now, so i'd imagine that any riding on weds and thurs is a no-go.
    --
    stephen

53. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone have trail updates? Wanted to get out and do the lake side tomorrow. My guess it will be a no go.

Thanks
    Trail tacky, rocks and roots are dry, some mud puddles still holding a little water

56. The following user says "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone wanna meet in the AM tomorrow 6/7/15 for a ride? Thinking here or lock 4

Thanks
    Friend of mine rode Hamilton this morning and said it's had very little rain and there's little to no mud - just wet.
    1992 Fuji Sandblaster
    2010 Specialized Hardrock 29
    2012 Scott CR-1 Team
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29
    2007 Yamaha YZ-250

Thanks
    We will be riding Hamilton Creek on Tuesday morning. We are from Florida so this will be our 1st time riding out of state. If anyone wants to meet up txt me

239-839-8292

James

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfondell View Post
    We will be riding Hamilton Creek on Tuesday morning. We are from Florida so this will be our 1st time riding out of state. If anyone wants to meet up txt me

239-839-8292

James

Thanks
    Stay to the outside to get both loops, should be about 11 miles total. Duck when riding under the road, and bring a spare tube!

Thanks
    Hamilton Creek is OK. Didn't get rain yesterday. There are a few mud holes, but 98% is way good!

Gary

62. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    who is in charge of trail work out at Hamilton? would anyone get upset if i cut up trees that have fallen across the trail?

Thanks
    Go for it! We are in charge!

Gary

65. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Couple of trees down; lots of little sticks in the trail. Overall it's in good shape. Should dry nicely in the next few days.
    1992 Fuji Sandblaster
    2010 Specialized Hardrock 29
    2012 Scott CR-1 Team
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29
    2007 Yamaha YZ-250

67. The following user says "Thank You" to john pifer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Large tree down on beginner side. Few miles in from lake parking lot. All I remember is that it was before the split that takes you down to the tunnel under the interstate and over to the intermediate side. Other than that trail was awesome today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin77 View Post
    Large tree down on beginner side. Few miles in from lake parking lot. All I remember is that it was before the split that takes you down to the tunnel under the interstate and over to the intermediate side. Other than that trail was awesome today.
    Thanks to Outman, here is a pic and coordinates of downed tree. Will need experienced sawyer.

Wypt 049.jpgWayPoint.JPG

70. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone get out to Hammy today? Wondering about conditions for a possible ride in the morning. Thanks.

Thanks
    Hammy is in awesome shape if anyone was wondering. Same huge tree still down. Peace.

Thanks
    Tree is at mile 1.69.

Gary

Thread Information