Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Thank you is right! That spot was getting really dangerous.

I rode most everything out there today twice but the downhill and goat path. Did yellow 3 times to make up for it. I knew the downhill had gotten bad and I had no clue how to fix it. Wonder who did that? Could it be AB, ER, JS, BS? Those are the initials of the people I know who would be able to accomplish that task. Thanks to the mystery fixer. I moved a dagger sticking out of the woods on the perimeter trail and got a downed limb moved out of the way today. There is a big tree down on Back Green about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile in from 4 points. Too big for my hand saw. The trail tread was really nice today and I really enjoyed the cooler but still humid weather.
    I am Facebook challenged.

2. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

I rode most everything out there today twice but the downhill and goat path. Did yellow 3 times to make up for it. I knew the downhill had gotten bad and I had no clue how to fix it. Wonder who did that? Could it be AB, ER, JS, BS? Those are the initials of the people I know who would be able to accomplish that task. Thanks to the mystery fixer. I moved a dagger sticking out of the woods on the perimeter trail and got a downed limb moved out of the way today. There is a big tree down on Back Green about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile in from 4 points. Too big for my hand saw. The trail tread was really nice today and I really enjoyed the cooler but still humid weather.
    I havent had a chance to spend any time out there recently. It could have been the guys who cut the field there because they may not have been able to cross it with their equipment. Regardless big thanks to whom ever did it.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

4. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Cleared a tree on yellow a little ways past the tabletop with Shane and Will. There may or may not be a go pro video of it. =D
    Last edited by drwx; 09-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm glad that spot on the green down hill got fixed, like Homer said it was very dangerous

8. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    Action packed tree lifting....

Trail Work.jpg
    -Will

10. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to BrotherLinus for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherLinus View Post
    Action packed tree lifting....

Trail Work.jpg
    not good wood
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Anyone rode MB last few days, good to go?

Thanks
    What I rode of MB on Sunday afternoon was good, who ever fixed that spot on the green down hill did very good job

14. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    rode Saturday am. excellent conditions.

16. The following user says "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks

Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

I rode this trail for the first time today. Very fun. I got lost and separated from the group. But it was a great ride.

18. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Amalgam29 for this useful post:

Thanks
    On back blue there is a tree down across the trail 2 to 3 feet around and about 1 foot off the ground. It's before the big tree across the trail that has the piece cut out of it so that you can ride through it or ride over it with the ramp.

Thanks
    Leafy but beautiful today. Tree down about waist high on red perimeter about a mile in. Needs a chain saw. Leaves can be slick and you cannot see what you are riding over.

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was out today, and can confirm that the brown ice is out. But I was on flats, so I just hung my inside foot out whenever it started sliding and stayed off the brakes. The tree on red perimeter is just before you get to White Pine if you take a left from the trail head. There's also a good sized tree down on Back Blue. Both were too big for my handsaw. White was in really great shape. It was a beautiful day for a ride, and MB delivered big time, on the whole. I had loads of fun.

23. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tree still down on red perimeter, lots of limbs from the storms this week. Trail was slick, but as always firm / rideable.

Update 10/13 tree down about middle of back blue, dead but big diameter, will need chainsaw
    Last edited by jbarber; 10-13-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Robert already found it
    Lynskey Pro 29 SS

25. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to jbarber for this useful post:

Thanks
    As usual Mont Bell is in great shape. No mud, not even damp except near the creek. Lot of slippery leaves though. Also lots of smaller stuff down but easily ridden. Here's the big stuff that I can remember:

- Perimeter Red at the 1st (cw) junction of Rabbit Run. There's room to ride around it though.
    - Also Perimeter Red near White Pine (I've not seen it since I always ride the white but it's been mentioned several times)
    - Hainey Branch about halfway very large tree; comes down hill blocking trail and all the way down across creek and across Snake Bottom. When I finally rode Snake Bottom I could see that it's elevated enough to ride under, but nothin holdin it up so it'll fall across the trail at some point.
    - Back Blue. 'nuff said.
    - Goat Path across trail a couple switchbacks before the end of the moguls.

I think there's another one on the advanced side (maybe Green?) but I can't seem to remember where.

27. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spieg View Post
    As usual Mont Bell is in great shape. No mud, not even damp except near the creek. Lot of slippery leaves though. Also lots of smaller stuff down but easily ridden. Here's the big stuff that I can remember:

- Perimeter Red at the 1st (cw) junction of Rabbit Run. There's room to ride around it though.
    - Also Perimeter Red near White Pine (I've not seen it since I always ride the white but it's been mentioned several times)
    - Hainey Branch about halfway very large tree; comes down hill blocking trail and all the way down across creek and across Snake Bottom. When I finally rode Snake Bottom I could see that it's elevated enough to ride under, but nothin holdin it up so it'll fall across the trail at some point.
    - Back Blue. 'nuff said.
    - Goat Path across trail a couple switchbacks before the end of the moguls.

I think there's another one on the advanced side (maybe Green?) but I can't seem to remember where.
    The Perimeter Red at the junction of Rabbit Run is clear. Rob and I grabbed hold of it to see if it would move, and the part in the trail broke off of the rest of it just clear of the trail, so we heaved that into the woods.

29. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was out there riding today and Mont Bell is in great shape. The trees are still down on perimeter Red and Hainey Branch

31. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks

Monty Bell 2014-11-02

Set out today about 9:30 on Monty Bell and there was only one car in the lot. Shame, because the trail is really fun now. Yes, there are a lot of leaves down, but I enjoyed riding old familiar trails and still feeling like you were exploring. Rode off the trail at least twice because you can barely see some of the trails.

Rode Lonesome Blue, Yellow, Back Blue and Haynie Branch. Logs down on the Goat path, Back Blue and Haynie Branch.

I got the bright idea to make a roll over problem with the log on the Goat path. The problem is that the tree is down just past the tough off-camber turn where you climb over the root ball. This means you really can't get any momentum at all. I tried three times and got hung up on the top. It can be done. Not by me today though. I'm certain it will get cut out... won't really bum me out. Attached pics are the problem.

Anyhow, the trail was stunning, the weather was cool and dry. Go getcha' some.

IMG_20141102_103949_249.jpgIMG_20141102_104001_633.jpg

33. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode out this afternoon, the leaves are dry, the trail is great, the two trees that are on perimeter red and back blue are still there and will need a chainsaw

35. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    Going to try to make a day up there this week and cut stuff and ride. If anyone else cuts things out before hand please let update the list here.
    -Austin

37. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode today and it was great, going west to east on perimeter red there is a new tree down in between where you enter white pine and and exit white pine close to where you enter Haynie Branch. The tree on Back Blue is still down. Both are a chainsaw job

39. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    The work on downhill was completed by park maintenance.
    Trees on Back blue, Haynie Branch, and perimeter red clear.

41. The following 9 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Thank you, Ranger Eric!

Gary

Thanks
    Hit MB today for a pretty solid ride. I second homer's "thank you" to Ranger Eric. There were no trees down on the trails I rode except for the problem I mentioned above on Goat Path. I hit that problem with a bit of fatigue and couldn't quite make it over. It is rideable however.

Did Lonesome Blue, Hayne Branch, Back Blue, the Red trail, green trail, yellow trail and out.

Lots of leaf coverage, but otherwise the trail is in good condition.

Just a few cars in the lot. Only saw 1 group on the trail and they were adjusting bikes at the first intersection as we rode out.

44. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Riders,
    The mountain bike trail will be closed on 12-12-14 and 12-13-14 for the Bell Ringer 25k and 50k race. The trail will reopen on 12-14-14. Sorry for the inconvenience.

46. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    You talkin' runners? Like Jeffy?

Gary

Thanks
    Tree on Goat path clear, tree on downhill extension switchbacks clear.

Reminder: mountain bike trail will be closed on 12-12-14 and 12-13-14 for the Bell Ringer 25k and 50k race. The trail will reopen on 12-14-14. Sorry for the inconvenience.

49. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    About perfect today especially with all the rain we've had. I hated to see that some of the trails had the leaves blown off them. I understand why but still think that this trail is a lot better, in the colder months, with the leaf cover. Hope the Bell Ringer running race goes well for all participants.

Thanks
    It wasn't me! I'm in TX.

Gary

52. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quick Reminder:

Riders,
    The mountain bike trail will be closed on 12-12-14 and 12-13-14 for the Bell Ringer 25k and 50k race. The trail will reopen on 12-14-14. Sorry for the inconvenience.

54. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode out there this morning, giving a tour with a first-timer (at MB). Didn't ride it all, but a little bit of everything. It's in great shape. The lesser ridden trails are barely discernible with the leaf cover. 75% of the Race Loop was blown clear (I assume by those holding the race last weekend) and was super grippy.

There's a tree down on Back Blue, but failed to make a mental note of location. All I recall is that it is on the high ground, nearer the power lines. There is already a go-around so no big deal until race time.

Gary

56. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode out there this morning, giving a tour with a first-timer (at MB). Didn't ride it all, but a little bit of everything. It's in great shape. The lesser ridden trails are barely discernible with the leaf cover. 75% of the Race Loop was blown clear (I assume by those holding the race last weekend) and was super grippy.

There's a tree down on Back Blue, but failed to make a mental note of location. All I recall is that it is on the high ground, nearer the power lines. There is already a go-around so no big deal until race time.
    Even if I made a mental note of it, I would forget it by the time I finished riding. Thanks for the report. May try to do a long fat bike ride there on Sunday if the weather will cooperate.

58. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

I rode out there this morning and wow they have officially screwed us over for the coming months. Not sure who thought they were helping out by blowing all the leaves off for the runners I'm sure they thought they were making a good safe event for the runners but this rain and freeze thaw we have coming the end of next week the trails will be toast. Look forward to a lot of closure between now and March. These trails are known for holding up to rain and freeze thaw very well and normally opened when all the others are closed but I guarantee this year will be different.

I sure wish they hadn't done this and wish they would put them back and leave the venue they used like they found it. I have complained to the people that ran the race and hope they don't do this every year. I wish they would either stay on the other side of the road or use the trails as they were and not try to "fix" them ugh.

I even wanted to run the race and was out of town last weekend and couldn't but man why do people have to do stuff like this without thinking long term.

Today the trail is great but in a week it will be a wet, muddy, mushy mess and closed!

Oh well gonna be some gravel rides in my future because of this.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Michael View Post
    I rode out there this morning and wow they have officially screwed us over for the coming months. Not sure who thought they were helping out by blowing all the leaves off for the runners I'm sure they thought they were making a good safe event for the runners but this rain and freeze thaw we have coming the end of next week the trails will be toast. Look forward to a lot of closure between now and March. These trails are known for holding up to rain and freeze thaw very well and normally opened when all the others are closed but I guarantee this year will be different.

I sure wish they hadn't done this and wish they would put them back and leave the venue they used like they found it. I have complained to the people that ran the race and hope they don't do this every year. I wish they would either stay on the other side of the road or use the trails as they were and not try to "fix" them ugh.

I even wanted to run the race and was out of town last weekend and couldn't but man why do people have to do stuff like this without thinking long term.

Today the trail is great but in a week it will be a wet, muddy, mushy mess and closed!

Oh well gonna be some gravel rides in my future because of this.
    I noted this in an earlier post and

I just cannot understand, why, for one event, the trail should be compromised, especially when it's supposed to be a Mountain Bike only trail. Oh well.

Thanks
    I rode it today.
    Not that I didn't believe you Michael but boy was I suprised to see so much of the trail swept of leaves. Not just one or two but several trails. It was a great ride today without the leaves but to your point they totally screwed the pooch on this one. Freeze thaw and no leaves will shut this one down for a while. This is just crazy that they would be allowed to leave it like this. They should have this event at a location where such modifications are not necessary. If they wanted a nice clear surface why didn't they just use the roads?
    Guess anyone who want to further opine the issue of leaving leaves vs removing them from a trail can go see the effects in about 6 to 8 weeks for themselves.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Guess anyone who want to further opine the issue of leaving leaves vs removing them from a trail can go see the effects in about 6 to 8 weeks for themselves.
    Keep in mind what you see there will really only apply to this trail. I keep stressing this - every trail is different. There is no secrete formula that applies to all trails. I've worked on and ridden a LOT of trails. Mostly, leaving the leaves on the trail works best, but I can think of two specific instances where riding opportunities increase on a trail with the removal of the leaves rather than decreasing.

Thanks
    I was unaware they were going to clear the trails of leaves. I would assume they had the ok from Ranger Eric or one of the other rangers to do that. Will be interesting to see how the trails react this winter since they have not been uncovered during the winter in quite sometime. Please update this thread with any noticeable issues and where they occur over the winter and spring.
    -Austin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    I was unaware they were going to clear the trails of leaves. I would assume they had the ok from Ranger Eric or one of the other rangers to do that. Will be interesting to see how the trails react this winter since they have not been uncovered during the winter in quite sometime. Please update this thread with any noticeable issues and where they occur over the winter and spring.
    I rode again on Sunday morning Austin and was disheartened to verify what I was afraid of. We rode at 9am and we had a quick freeze Sat night and by that time Sunday morning every trail that was seeing the sun was muddy and in spots I have never seen. Mind you we haven't had rain in at least a week and this was just a preview as it wasn't a major freeze thaw or anything. The trails without the leaf removal were perfect and you couldn't even notice but those that had been uncovered were slick and mushy.

You will also notice all the exposed roots that are normally buried in leaves this time of year the dirt around them is getting mashed down more than ever since it is damp and exposed. The leaves keep the dirt around the roots and rocks insulated and over time breakdown to make new dirt but now that can't happen and will just make these roots and rocks more exposed.

It was bad enough that the group I was with was debating a trail work day to rake the leaves back onto the trail sections where they were removed. This would be a huge undertaking and difficult to do properly and not drag a ton of sticks and stuff so I'm not sure it is really feasible but possible worth a shot if we want to continue to ride over the next couple of months.

The problem right now is the trails with the leaves which there are a lot still will be fine most of the winter but the ones without won't be and once they close the trails all trails are closed even though you could ride the leaf covered one's that won't be an option unfortunately.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

65. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    If the weather holds out its possible we could do a quick day with a few people to put some of the leaves back using a couple of blowers during the holidays. I have the Sorba Mid TN one still. Right now it is raining which makes leaf moving tough since they will all clump together so we will need to wait for them to dry out a bit.

What trails were completely cleared? All on the race loop or others as well?
    -Austin

Thanks
    I'd say, maybe 70% of the race loop. Red and Back Blue (maybe through Tommy's Revenge), but not on top. I don't remember if Charlotte's Ridge was. Seems like I remember running over the needles at Esses, Chain Reaction, and Flume Zoom. I believe it was blown on the return from the Hornet Hill turn-off. Now that I think about it, maybe 50%.

I don't think it will adversely affect anything, but Perimeter Red.

Gary

68. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    The was no clearing done on the upper Yellow. The running course went up Tommy's and then continued on the Green back down to the creek and joined the Yellow at that point.

I was hoping for the best but also noticed soggy spots even at 3pm Sunday. The sun dried some spots but anything in the shade was wet.

Also, there is a large tree down on North Slope covering the trail both prior to Tabletop and just after it. A easy hike from the road - 100 yards or so.

70. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to HJay for this useful post:

Thanks
    trail was really nice this morning. For this time of year, you cannot beat it, imho.

72. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Plan on being out there in the morning! 10:00 am., if anyone's wanting to stretch out a bit.

Gary

Thanks
    Conditions were great!

Took my chainsaw to clear the tree at Tabletop, but forgot to fill it or bring fuel. Found a small leaner just below Tabletop and cut it out. Walked back from Tabletop and past it a little ways, didn't find anything else, so went to ride. On the ride, we found the big one mentioned above. It's probably 16-18" in diameter, laying across the trail, upslope and to the north. The end of it does actually get into the trail following the Tabletop. I didn't walk far enough to see it, initially. Didn't have enough fuel in the saw to cut it out, so didn't get into it.

Again, conditions were great! The area's blown clear were almost dry.

Gary

75. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Yep

Conditions were great!

Took my chainsaw to clear the tree at Tabletop, but forgot to fill it or bring fuel. Found a small leaner just below Tabletop and cut it out. Walked back from Tabletop and past it a little ways, didn't find anything else, so went to ride. On the ride, we found the big one mentioned above. It's probably 16-18" in diameter, laying across the trail, upslope and to the north. The end of it does actually get into the trail following the Tabletop. I didn't walk far enough to see it, initially. Didn't have enough fuel in the saw to cut it out, so didn't get into it.

Again, conditions were great! The area's blown clear were almost dry.
    I second.

77. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to KDub for this useful post:

Thanks
    Monty was in amazing shape today, get a ride in before the rain comes back

79. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    I never knew there was dirt out there! It was strange seeing so much of the trail without leaves and needles.

It was in pretty good shape today but was getting sloppy when I left. The temp never got over 30 while I was riding but there were already a few soft spots on my first lap. (Only rode the race loop.) On the second lap it was getting slick and sloppy in roughly the mile leading up to Tommy's Revenge. Then it got sketchy again between the last two creek crossings. Hate to see what happens when it actually gets over 30 and the sun comes out.

And why is there never a mountain bike race or open day to ride on hiking trails?

81. The following user says "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    An alternative might be to ride the non-blown trails after thaw. I plan to ride out there in the morning and hit the covered stuff if/when above freezing. There's a bunch out there that wasn't part of the run.

Just thinking out loud, I will probably ride Perimeter Red, taking all of the whites off of it, then Downhill and the rest of the green trail. Where it dumps onto yellow return, take a left to Borderline, do all the yellows, loop up Cat Track and on to Haynie Branch. Right on Red to Expressway, take the two high loops off of it and to the big tree intersection. Finish off on Lonesome Blue to get back to the trail head. If anyone wants to join me, I plan to get there at 10.

Gary

Thanks
    I was out this afternoon and the trail that had bare dirt was getting soft in places. However it is holding up well but I would suggest keeping off of the red perimeter trail as much as possible. Do the white trail whenever possible until you get to back blue.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

84. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Cleared the downed tree on yellow, near Table top.

Rode mostly the covered trails. They were fine. The cleared trails were OK until close to noon, went they started thawing.

Gary

86. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thread Information