Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Hmm. Stay I'll stay tuned on this if you will. I may hit MB on Saturday if conditions allow. Do you have a time in mind?

2. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I/we may as well, if the wet weather continues. Toto, the three of us are from H'ville and Gallatin.

Be advised, there is an awesome trail to the east, on Cordell Hull Lake, Defeated Creek. About the same drive time.

Gary

Thanks
    Relating to the huge oak down on the North Slope, this afternoon I made a go-around to the right. It includes going over a log, parallel to the trail. I planted a couple of rocks to help get the front tire over without immediately slipping (it was drizzling). Test-rode it and found that you need to get your weight waaay back (which is kinda tricky after hopping your front wheel up) or you'll wind up on your head. No mishap for me, but it was close.

Gary

Thanks
    As to trail conditions on Thursday, better than Percy Warner…

Actually conditions were good. Soils firm and came across only a couple of very small puddles. Thought I was going to freeze when I started out (50 and windy), in shorts and short, but warmed up nicely.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Relating to the huge oak down on the North Slope, this afternoon I made a go-around to the right. It includes going over a log, parallel to the trail. I planted a couple of rocks to help get the front tire over without immediately slipping (it was drizzling). Test-rode it and found that you need to get your weight waaay back (which is kinda tricky after hopping your front wheel up) or you'll wind up on your head. No mishap for me, but it was close.
    Or do the two or three or four step over this feature.

As to trail conditions on Thursday, better than Percy Warner…

Actually conditions were good. Soils firm and came across only a couple of very small puddles. Thought I was going to freeze when I started out (50 and windy), in shorts and short, but warmed up nicely.
    Four simple words; Knee and Arm Warmers.
    I am Facebook challenged.

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    good trail recon. is it just me or does Sunday afternoon look compelling?

Thanks
    Trail was good this morning, I was in by 9, out by 10:45. I hit red all the way around to the Y-bridge, white all the way back through rabbit run, red back around to Back Blue, then back down to the Y-bridge and out. Everything was clear, the roots were wet and slick, a few squishy spots on the whole thing, but overall quite good. The air is dry, and things were starting to dry out with the sun shining strong, so even though it's not going to be hot, things should improve over the weekend.

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thank you to the park ranger out there this morning taking out the huge fallen tree on Back Yellow North Slope

12. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to BanjoBob for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Ranger Eric! Would have been glad to give you a hand!

Gary

14. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Be careful out there. The creek crossing are extremely slick. Had a buddy go down, coming out of the yellows. Dislocated his ankle, 90 degrees. Fortunately, our other buddy is a physician and set it on the side of the creek. That is not to say that he didn't remain in extreme pain. Thanks to the MBSP rangers, EMTs, and volunteer rescue for helping to get our comrade out and to the ER.

Trail conditions were outstanding,…except for the creeks.

Gary

16. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Owwwwww!

Broke my finger out there last year about this time on a creek crossing when the current pulled the bike out from under me. Hope your buddy is ok!
    Last edited by spieg; 04-11-2015 at 05:58 PM.

18. The following user says "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    Gary, I hate to hear that. I might ride there tomorrow but will be very very very gentle with the creek crossings. I hope he has a full recovery.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah man, hope your friend gets to feeling better soon, that's rough. Thanks for the heads up, we've got a Clarksville group meeting up at around 2 this afternoon. Anyone else can take that as an invite or a warning, whichever you choose.

22. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks, guys! I expect he'll see the posts in the next day or so. He went down around 11, we got him to Hwy 70 and in the SUV heading to Baptist a little after noon, was still in the ER late yesterday afternoon. Will have surgery this week. Prayers for speedy recovery appreciated. He's one of, if not the best technical rider that I know. A dang shame that a slimey creek bed put him down.

He's the second or third friend to go down in that crossing this season, that I know of. I almost lost it at the crossing between Big Tree and the Y-bridge a couple of visits ago. My advice is, when crossing, no brakes and no steering. If I remember, my next trip, I'd like to bring a telescoping roller pole and a stiff bristle brush to work the slime off.

Be careful out there!

REMINDER: Tabletop's lip and missing boards are fixed and smooth. Let'er roll!

Gary

24. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    thanks for the posts Gary. I hope your friend is feeling better soon and able to ride before snowfall

26. The following user says "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Hopefully he will have a fast recovery. The creeks get slimy and i've had my fair share of near disasters on the one crossing on green. As Gary said stay off the brakes and use your momentum to get you across and try not to turn or lean. If not get off and walk. Better to have wet feet than going down on those rocks with any speed.

Thanks for the fixes on North Slope Gary.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

28. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    btw, Gary is correct, all of the rescuers did a great job and it was awesome to have a physician on hand to get your joints back into place. What he didn't mention was what a great job that he did in getting his buddy out of the trail. Thanks Gary!

30. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    There is a tree down across the trail about 1/4 of the way up Charlotte"s ridge, it's a job for a chainsaw not a handsaw

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up on the creek crossings. I went across them slow and still almost went down on my last time across yellow entry. Made the mistake of steering instead of staying committed to my line. :( Even with big fat tires it almost happened but they probably saved me by holding on a little longer. So do what Austin said. Once you commit to a line in a creek crossing, that is it. I crossed the creeks at least 10 times today and almost messed up on my last crossing. I never cross those creeks with any speed at all. Not on Blue or yellow or perimeter trail after the Y bridge or on Haney Branch crossings.

I hate to hear when anyone is hurt. I hope he can pedal with one leg on a trainer to maintain his fitness while he heals. I know how it feels to be hurt and it is no fun.

33. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have have went down on the creek crossing just before you start up the hill to get to the Y bridge it' no fun when you do, also to I was the yellow side of the race loop and I nearly ran over a hiker out there.
    Last edited by rodney humes; 04-13-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks
    Great shape today. A handful of puddles, but the soils were just right. Go straight and easy at the creek crossings. Way slick.

Gary

36. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    One thing I have noticed riding at ma bell. Because of the erosion and more root exposure, the trail tread is not as fast as it used to be in my opinion. Maybe it is just me but does it seem that way to anyone else? Just asking. I love riding there and think it will get you in better shape than any trail in this area. Wish I could make it there more but with the traffic in Nashville getting worse all the time, it makes the commute a little longer than it used to be. I managed to ride there late yesterday afternoon at it was in pretty good shape but that storm Wednesday night did a number on it.

Thanks
    Yeah, Robert, it's way rougher than it was when I first went out there. All the trails are. The roots growing and getting more exposed due to erosion. The natural thing, I guess. I'm having roots from a River Birch tree peeking up though the grass in my lawn at home.

Robert, if it ever quits raining, check out Defeated. I expect it's been a while since you've been there. You'll remember what a great trail it is.
    Last edited by homer; 04-19-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Gary

39. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Root exposure is a natural part of trail deterioration. A concerted effort can be put forth once it's "bad enough" to remove roots if that's the direction things need to go, but this is part of the reason people think no one builds technical trail, and they like their 20, 30, 50 (some CCC trails are 80+ years old) year old trails. They don't realize that all those exposed roots weren't there when the trails were built.

41. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trees at heartbreak hill and charlottes ridge are clear

Eric

43. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Another biggun fell on north slope, on the dip before the climb before the tabletop if that makes sense. Probably 1.5 - 2 ft diameter. Otherwise the trail was in good shape!

45. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail is in good shape. Yellow is bone dry, blue is tacky in some areas, and green is dry too. Trees down close to the table top left hand turn before you climb up and right hand turn towards the table top. Tree down by goat path entrance and another tree down by the three way intersection of boundary, main and backward, just before you get there from main trail. Get out and enjoy, watch the water crossings on yellow, it's getting slimie.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

47. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Other than some face slappers, trail was in good shape yesterday. The tightness of the trails with the growth reminds me of riding in mountainous areas in North Georgia and North Carolina. Also on north slope, saw a mamma doe, with two fawns parked right on the trail. the fawns are so young they are just learning to walk. Got around them by walking and out of there as fast as possible because mom was in a tizzy.

49. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was ridding at Mont Bell today and saw the three trees that Username reported as being down back in march, they are still down and to big for a handsaw

51. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    Also, there's a new one at the intersection of Yellow and Green at Crooked Tree. There is a raised one on Cat Track that a handsaw might get.

53. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to HJay for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yesterday cleared tree near tabletop, tree near 3 way intersection, and tree at yellow/green crooked tree cut.

55. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsp eric View Post
    Yesterday cleared tree near tabletop, tree near 3 way intersection, and tree at yellow/green crooked tree cut.
    Thank you so much!

57. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Much obliged, Ranger Eric!

Gary

Thanks
    Rode Sunday before the rain but forgot to post.

Very large tree down on Lonesome Blue, closer to the main entrance end than the 'Y' bridge end. Absolutely chain saw material.

Also I cleared the previously mentioned smaller one on Cat Track.

60. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    The tree on Lonesome Blue is right at marker "31". The large, downed tree at the top of Charlotte, near the entrance of Goat Path, is still there.

There are a lot of limbs down; many in blind corners - be careful. I cleaned some yesterday and plan to take a handsaw today to clear the rest.

62. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to HJay for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tree on Lonesome blue at "31" clear.

Eric

64. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thank you, sir.

Gary

Thanks
    Conditions are superb!

Now there's a large, 10-12", tree down on top of Charlotte's Ridge, just before the entry to Goat Path.

Gary

67. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Conditions are superb!

Now there's a large, 10-12", tree down on top of Charlotte's Ridge, just before the entry to Goat Path.
    That's been there for two months I think. A buddy of mine posted a picture of his bike leaning up against it, and got crap for not just bunny hopping it.

69. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tree near goat path cleared. Smaller trees near "45" on yellow cleared also.

Eric

71. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Ranger Eric! You're the best!

Gary

73. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Montgomery Bell Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks Eric for the heads up I was headed to that spot first thing in the morning to get it. The Montgomery Bell MTB Race is this coming weekend and I with a group of others will be out trimming the trails getting ready for it all day tomorrow. I will be out there around day break tomorrow. I have completed trimming the red trail over the last couple of days that we run the time trial on Saturday. Tomorrow we will be working on the race loop for Sunday's XC race. If anyone has time please come out and join us. A pair of hand shears can go a long ways.

Thanks, Michael
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

Thanks
    Top of a leaning tree blocking the trail on White Pine at marker 25 (very close to perimeter trail). It's a serious face slapper although you can ride under/through it. There was another one a little further in but I was able to break the branches on that'n to clear the path. Couldn't do anything with this other one without a saw.

Also on White Pine a little on either side of marker 24 are a couple smaller 6" trees down. Ridable by most I would guess.

76. The following user says "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    Pre rode red loop and part of xc course Saturday. Missed some trail markers and ended up looping back on same trail, surface was great though!

Thanks
    Found two large trees down, yesterday. Been wracking my brain, but can't remember where they are. If anyone can help, post up locations.

Gary

Thanks
    Found two large trees down, yesterday. Been wracking my brain, but can't remember where they are. If anyone can help, post up locations.
    One is on Red. On the last horseshoe incline before dropping to the first white trail option, Rabbit Run. Only one I saw, but I played mostly on white, with a bit of red and blue thrown in for the holiday.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

80. The following user says "Thank You" to Lenchito for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Lenchito. You are right, Kevkiser confirms it, just before Rabbit Run. Now for the othern. I can see it, made a mental note, but can't pull it up.

I might have it…between the climb approaching and entering Flume Zoom???
    Last edited by homer; 07-04-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Gary

Thanks
    Rode all blue, all white. Remembered my saw. All clear except for afore-mentioned tree before Rabbit and the one at Marker 25 on White Pine. I cleared one tree with the slappers, but there's still one fairly large one across the trail and I couldn't get it flat. Off the ground a bit but ridable. Except today, all roots and rocks were wet and slicker'n snot. Trail's not muddy.

83. The following user says "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    The other large one is at top of the switchback climb between Chain Reaction and Flume Zoom.

85. The following user says "Thank You" to HJay for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tree on red near rabbit clear.
    Tree on White pine near "25" clear.

Eric

87. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to mbsp eric for this useful post:

Thread Information