Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,812 Times in 1,869 Posts

Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Use this thread to up date trail conditions at LH

Nashville Weather

Thanks

Re: Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Jones mill is about perfect right now. It is starting to get overgrown really fast. I might try to head out there with a trimmer within the next couple of weeks.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Got a couple of loops yesterday right before the storms hit. It's really overgrown; so much that my arms got some scratches.
    - Allen

Thanks
    any chance that jones mill is dry today? I don't know how much rain it got yesterday.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks

It's super wet.. probably needs a few days to dry out.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Although overgrown and in need of a sizable crew to knock back the growth, the trail was in otherwise perfect condition today with not a sole dumb enough to ride out there in the mid day (other than me)
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
    Although overgrown and in need of a sizable crew to knock back the growth, the trail was in otherwise perfect condition today with not a sole dumb enough to ride out there in the mid day (other than me)
    Everyone was at l4. That place was packed today.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
    I'm dumb enought to ride in middle of the day. LOL I enjoy riding that trail but you are right about the growth. I have the number to park ranger if anyone wants to go out there with me and work on the trail. If you are out there and see a blue Volvo SUV leave me a note.

Thanks
    no updates since july? supa fail. i'm going to go test my shoulder out at jones mill after work today. I haven't been there since march or april. should i attach a weedeater to my bike to cut through the brush?
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    no updates since july? supa fail. i'm going to go test my shoulder out at jones mill after work today. I haven't been there since march or april. should i attach a weedeater to my bike to cut through the brush?
    or not... it's raining and thundering in the area.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Very overgrown. It looks like someone has put up some new trail markers on some trees...I assume it was the ranger. There were places where 5 foot tall weeds leaned over both sides of the trail.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I just beat the sunset at Jones Mill today. It was very rideable with plenty of room to get around the few puddles.

Thanks

Did 3 laps here this morning around 730. The rocks and roots were a little damp from the fog, but the dirt is nice and tacky. No mud or water anywhere. The cold weather is already killing back some of the overgrowth.
    --
    stephen

14. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Drwx I rode three laps at 3:30 and it was fast. There was a lot of hikers walking on the trail but were nice and moved before you got to them.

Thanks
    Rode Jones Mill today. The trail is in good shape, leaves covering the trail in several spots but you can pick out the trail. There were a couple of muddy spots on the trail headed toward Bald Knob before you get to the bridge. There were some overgrown spots in the cedar glades area after you get back on the trail to head toward the parking lot. Overall, the trail is dry with a couple of exceptions. We were the only ones there. Beautiful day to be in the woods!

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to nmandrews for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just got back from Jones Mill and it was brisk, but a great ride! The small puddles are still there on the 2-way section but overall very nice. The wind last night did a number on some trees but nothing's in the way.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to 78Westy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just rode it and the conditions were nice. There are a few wet spots but easy to spot and avoid. Lots of face slappers so watch your eyes.

Thanks
    Just did 3 laps and it was pretty good. The sun is warming some ice so a few spots are a little sloppy. I also talked to Head Ranger Jeff and he said he will let Ranger Tyler know we want to get a work day going. I did confirm that they have 10 miles staked out to expand the trail but it's a slow process with the state. He said they are concerned about 4 wheelers and such getting on the trail because it's really remote. I advised we could be the eyes and ears to help police the trail. We need to stay on the rangers to get this done. The more volunteers they know about the better! Ranger. I'm not sure what the protocol is but Tyler's office line is 615-885-2422 and his email is Tyler.blystone@tn.gov Please call his office or email to let him know you are willing to help.
    Last edited by 78Westy; 11-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    I just got back from riding it, but it must have been after you as I saw some fresh tread in the dirt. Conditions were ok when I started but by the time I was leaving it was thawing out a lot and getting kind of sloppy. There were a few sections where the trail was becoming very ruttable (not sure if that is a word). I might recommend staying off it the rest of the day but maybe I am being over cautious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrenaryJL View Post
    I just got back from riding it, but it must have been after you as I saw some fresh tread in the dirt. Conditions were ok when I started but by the time I was leaving it was thawing out a lot and getting kind of sloppy. There were a few sections where the trail was becoming very ruttable (not sure if that is a word). I might recommend staying off it the rest of the day but maybe I am being over cautious.
    this trail is fairly self-healing. it's 99% (made up number) rocks and gravel, so even if it is sloppy, it doesn't really hold the ruts for long. I was out there this morning around 8AM and definitely saw the freeze thaw in effect. the worst thing you really have to worry about at jones mill is the overgrowth in the summer. there are rarely ever work days out there. i don't think there has been an official sorba work day at jones mill in over 2 years.
    --
    stephen

24. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sorba and park ranger line indicated this was open earlier this week, so I went out yesterday. Don't expect a mud free ride, although it was largely free of any standing water and only had a few small sections of mud that were and will still rut. Amazing to see the difference in the sections where natural leaf cover on the trail had protected what was much softer and or muddy in other sections. Convinced the best way for trails to be ridden with freeze thaw and precipitation issues is to "leave the leaves".
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks
    Rode this afternoon, just a few spots that were muddy with only one holding any water. Just tread lightly through those sections and you will be fine.

Thanks
    Early this morning the trail was frozen over but fun none the less.

Thanks
    Trail is in excellent shape with no standing water a very few soft spots without enough mud to coat tires. Great place to get out to for a few loops today.

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks
    has someone been working on new trail out here? i know that i've heard talk about there being a rough out and back trail. i found a very clean looking trail on the right as you are coming down from bald knob, on the last little downhill section. i'm not talking about the little outcropping of the trail that goes down beside the lake.

here are some pics of it and a pic of the map. i rode part of it to see where it went, but i didn't know if it was legit trail and i didn't want to get shot for being in someone's back yard. i had already been chased by a dog earlier on my ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    stephen

Uzzi is offline Winter is natures way of telling you to take a break
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Tell them to add some jhumps.

Thanks
    i'm unsure where the park's property stops and where the private land starts. i stopped when it started looking like a 4-wheeler trail.
    --
    stephen

33. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Tim

Thanks
    here i traced out as far as is visible on google maps. it's just under a mile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Before I move to Maryland I had talked to the Park Ranger and they wanted to add another 3-4 miles. Maybe they started it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLB_IV View Post
    Before I move to Maryland I had talked to the Park Ranger and they wanted to add another 3-4 miles. Maybe they started it.

yeah i remember there being talk about doing more trail out there. if is it the rangers building it, i wonder if they want any input from any mountain bikers so that it turns out being fun trail. if i see them out there any times that i'm riding, i'll ask.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Any word on the condition of the trail this week?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam29 View Post
    Probably all good. This is the best time of year for Jones mill. It isn't overgrown yet.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Probably all good. This is the best time of year for Jones mill. It isn't overgrown yet.
    Thanks. I'll probably go out there Wednesday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    The top of the SORBA MidTn page has the trail statuses for several of the local trails. It says that LH is currently open. http://sorbamidtn.org/

Thanks

Went for a ride last Wednesday and noticed the trail had many face slappers. And was told by another rider that the trail was maintained by the park services, but that it was rare to see them. So my question is if it was cool for anyone to go out there and trim up a bit. I live 5 minutes from LH and willing to keep it maintained.

42. The following user says "Thank You" to Amalgam29 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went for a ride last Wednesday and noticed the trail had many face slappers. And was told by another rider that the trail was maintained by the park services, but that it was rare to see them. So my question is if it was cool for anyone to go out there and trim up a bit. I live 5 minutes from LH and willing to keep it maintained.
    I think it would be cool if you maintained the trail and would be thankful for any work you did . I've only been out there a couple times this season a few weeks ago and it was already overgrown then.

disclaimer: I have no authority to offer permission to maintain the trail but in all reality... if it's not maintained and no one rides it because it's overgrown... there's no use in it being there, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flakpheiser View Post
    I think it would be cool if you maintained the trail and would be thankful for any work you did . I've only been out there a couple times this season a few weeks ago and it was already overgrown then.

disclaimer: I have no authority to offer permission to maintain the trail but in all reality... if it's not maintained and no one rides it because it's overgrown... there's no use in it being there, right?
    Right. I didn't think about this until after I posted. But I'll call the rangers station to ask permission first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Sorba has always had to ask for permission to work on the trail and it was always difficult to get it from the ranger as most time he was unresponsive. Good luck in getting the permission and thanks for wanting to take on the task of maintenance. We could use more like you.

Thanks

I think the woods is taking this trail back. It is horribly over grown.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Got to ride there this past weekend, and really like the feel of the trail right now. Even tried the little shortcut route, which I'm guessing has been un-ridden for a while, a little gem of a trail. I understand that the overgrowth can be off putting, but as long as you wear glasses, it's just about perfect right now.
    I used to wish I could read people's minds,
    Then I got a Facebook account,
    Now I'm over it.

48. The following user says "Thank You" to Sam Hill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Does anyone have an update on the trail condition? I rode it two weeks ago and it was muddy and a lot of places the trees were overgrown and made riding somewhat difficult at spots. Thinking about going for a ride tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Thanks
    Trail is in perfect condition although some areas are overgrown. Very little moisture as of 2pm yesterday, with no standing water anywhere on the trail.

Thanks
    Thanks.

Thanks

Left today as a rain storm was hitting so it's bound to be a little sloppy for a day. This trail is really starting to get overgrown. How do we organize some trail work to clean it up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13 View Post
    Left today as a rain storm was hitting so it's bound to be a little sloppy for a day. This trail is really starting to get overgrown. How do we organize some trail work to clean it up?
    AFAIK, all maintenance that has been done out here in the past 3 years has been diy. Whether or not that is kosher is debatable.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Considering it's a state park I wouldn't think just cutting stuff down is a great idea

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13 View Post
    Considering it's a state park I wouldn't think just cutting stuff down is a great idea
    Good luck getting an official work day scheduled. I've cleared downed trees out there quite a few times. There used to be a guy that rode out there that would bring out his weed eater and trim everything. There hasn't been an official sorba work day out there since 2011 or so.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

I was out there this past Sunday, and it didn't seem too bad. At least nothing that couldn't be handled with a pair of snips. Obviously I'm not advocating anyone go out there and hack at the trail, just saying that a small pair of secateurs would fit in a saddle bag. Also, and I don't want to stir up anything, would it be possible to drag a couple of logs onto the trail. There are plenty of spots that could offer options for a straight ride or an obstacle. Just a thought. Someone has already been out there playing in the dirt and built a mole hill, not sure it adds much due to it's placement. But maybe with some thought and planning a few obstacle options could be fun. Plus the volunteers and folks at sorba have got so much spare time on their hands they need something to do.
    I used to wish I could read people's minds,
    Then I got a Facebook account,
    Now I'm over it.

57. The following user says "Thank You" to Sam Hill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
    I was out there this past Sunday, and it didn't seem too bad. At least nothing that couldn't be handled with a pair of snips. Obviously I'm not advocating anyone go out there and hack at the trail, just saying that a small pair of secateurs would fit in a saddle bag. Also, and I don't want to stir up anything, would it be possible to drag a couple of logs onto the trail. There are plenty of spots that could offer options for a straight ride or an obstacle. Just a thought. Someone has already been out there playing in the dirt and built a mole hill, not sure it adds much due to it's placement. But maybe with some thought and planning a few obstacle options could be fun. Plus the volunteers and folks at sorba have got so much spare time on their hands they need something to do.
    i came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that this trail just isn't fun enough to ride if you have to fight through the brush. hamilton creek is about the same distance away from me and is more fun, has more traffic, and is generally better taken care of than jones mill.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
    Yeah what's up with that mole hill somebody built coming out of a turn? Kind of a bad place...

Thread Information