Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    I would ride Jones Mill much more often if it has some obstacles or jumps. It's a pretty boring trail as it is right now. Also, the trail has been there for quite some time now and ever since it opened there was supposed to be more trails added to make it a decent length, but that still hasn't happened. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this happen? I would be more then willing to volunteer some time to do it because there is potential out there, we just haven't tapped into that potential yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbookingtn View Post
    I would ride Jones Mill much more often if it has some obstacles or jumps. It's a pretty boring trail as it is right now. Also, the trail has been there for quite some time now and ever since it opened there was supposed to be more trails added to make it a decent length, but that still hasn't happened. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this happen? I would be more then willing to volunteer some time to do it because there is potential out there, we just haven't tapped into that potential yet.

i believe some of the neighbors out there might be riding 4 wheelers on it. there is a trail that connects when you are coming down from bald knob. i rode out that trail a month or so ago and it definitely is 4 wheeler trail. we quit riding when we got to a "no trespassing" sign. i posted a map of it at some point on here.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbookingtn View Post
    I agree. I've only been riding for a couple weeks now but I've rode Cane Ridge, Hamilton Creek, Lock 4, and Jones Mill. Jones Mill was by far the most boring one and the only one where I felt like I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get back over there.

Thanks

Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

"Boring" seems a little harsh. Though it probably says something about me, as I really like the trail. If you pick the right line there are a few roots and rocks to add interest, and if you can hop there are a few places to get a little air. It's a good place to practice lifting and placing your wheels and there's no real climbing so my little legs don't get too tired. I also really like the narrowness of the trail in spots and the fact that the right line means you can carry your momentum through an entire lap. The relatively short lap distance comes in handy as well, if your ride time is limited.
    I wouldn't necessarily rank it higher than other trails nearby, but it puts a smile on my face and I hope to be back out there soon, maybe even tomorrow if it didn't get too much rain today. Which brings me back to the thread, anyone know if the trail is rideable right now?
    I used to wish I could read people's minds,
    Then I got a Facebook account,
    Now I'm over it.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Sam Hill for this useful post:

Thanks
    I went out this afternoon before the real heavy rain came and it was good in most areas but a little sloppy in some. If it doesn't rain tonight, it should be good tomorrow. One good thing about this trail is it dries fast!

There is definitely someone riding some sort of vehicles out there they do not need to be. All over the trail in places there is what appear to be 4 wheeler tracks. Really tore it up in some places. I am going to call the park tomorrow and let them know in case if no one else has.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to jrbookingtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went out this morning and the trail is great!! It's dry, dusty, and fast. The brushes have cleared and the track is ready to be ridden. Go out and have fun.
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Thanks
    Pretty solid rain hit in the Nolensville area last night. Not sure if that means other side of the lake got it, and would certainly guess this side (Hammy and Cane Ridge) would both have puddles.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks

Rode yesterday, good shape and fast conditions. Looks like someone has done a little trail maintenance and most brush is trimmed back other then a few places.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to golfnbike13 for this useful post:

Thanks
    went out around 12:00 and although a little slippery it wasn't bad. Rocks and roots are slippery but it made for a fun ride. the sun and heat probably helped dry it out a little so it should be better now. hard packed mud but no ruts to be made.
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Thanks

I'm curious if anyone noticed the down tree in the first bit of the trail. I know judging by the tread marks that people have been going around it for a while now. Trail over all was decent. A few slippery areas and one face slapper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Tim, how ya doin'? I think last I heard, you were pretty banged up.

Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Tim, how ya doin'? I think last I heard, you were pretty banged up.
    Doing alright. I'm just coming out of another injury. I pulled a bunch of things in my back. Been through therapy. But getting back out again.

Thanks

Trail is in good shape. I pulled the downed tree away from the trail as much as I could. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Trail is still good after the rain. Really needs a day set aside for some cleanup lovin. I will be glad to help.

Thanks
    Did two laps this morning. Trail is in good shape but could use some trimming.

Thanks

My rear derailleur at a log yesterday. So I'm probably going to get out Sunday afternoon to do a little trail clean up. Anyone who wants to join feel free to let me know. Or just come on out.

Thanks

Oh and one other thing. If you decide to bring any hand tools out you have to clear it with park services first. They don't allow power tools due to safety reasons. I'm just throwing this out there even know many of you might already know this. And I'll be calling them Monday to ask permission on chopping up the downed tree.

Thanks

Anyone been out here lately and if so how is it?

Thanks

Rode a couple laps today, it's dry and very ridable. Couple slick spots to avoid. There is a small tree down across the trail on the long loop that needs a handsaw to be cut or a few people could probably move it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13 View Post
    Rode a couple laps today, it's dry and very ridable. Couple slick spots to avoid. There is a small tree down across the trail on the long loop that needs a handsaw to be cut or a few people could probably move it.
    I agree. Trail is great accept for mostly bald knob and the last section before you head towards the woods again. Also while I was riding I could hear 4 wheelers and on my 2nd lap I saw tracks. It is hunting season. So they might have been hunters. Tried to move tree you were talking about and couldn't.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to Amalgam29 for this useful post:

Thanks

Heading there in a couple hours to ride laps, hopefully there will be someone else there and we can team up moving that tree

Thanks

Heading there in a couple hours to ride laps, hopefully there will be someone else there and we can team up moving that tree
    I'll be there about the same. Just hit me up on here when you get there. I live just a few minutes away.

Thanks

Rode today. Trail in good shape and the small tree has fallen all the way to ground and now easy to ride over. A few muddy spots to avoid, especially just before the entrance to the bridge section. That area never dries well this time of year, would love to come up with a remedy for that.

Thanks

Anybody know about conditions today?

Thanks

If anyone goes out to the trail would you please report anything to the park services that's been damaged. A friend of mine went out yesterday for a walk on the trail and noticed someone has been busy destroying the trail. I'm going today to try and come up with a plan for helping to stop this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805640.841901.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805653.794123.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805675.287815.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805687.677645.jpg

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Amalgam29 for this useful post:

Thanks

That's a shame. I haven't been in a while with all the rain recently. Certainly needs to be addressed.

Thanks

That's a shame. I haven't been in a while with all the rain recently. Certainly needs to be addressed.
    It is a shame. I'm going to go out there and clean up a bit as well today. Maybe I can get one of the park rangers to join me.

Thanks
    that's the most work that's been done at longhunter in years.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks

I thought about asking the park rangers if they could put up some motion cameras near the entrance and that back entrance to see if they could catch someone. But I think that would be asking a lot.

Thanks

Rode a couple laps yesterday. Good condition and also rode by a Timber Rattler sunbathing in middle of trail.
    Whoever put the Return Loop sign back in the tree put it on the wrong side. So right now it's pointing to the bridge and bald knob loop. Came across a ranger and mentioned it, he laughed and said he let maintenance know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    You cannot fix stupid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam29 View Post
    If anyone goes out to the trail would you please report anything to the park services that's been damaged. A friend of mine went out yesterday for a walk on the trail and noticed someone has been busy destroying the trail. I'm going today to try and come up with a plan for helping to stop this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805640.841901.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805653.794123.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805675.287815.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805687.677645.jpg
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Was out there this morning. Only car in the lot at 11 am. Noticed a sketchy character driving around the lot before and after my ride. Trail in pretty good shape.

Thanks

Anyone up for some lunchtime loops today?

Thanks
    Did a couple laps this afternoon and trail is in great shape except getting slapped around in a few spots. I still cant believe how many people come to that trail with shiny bikes no helmets!

I also found something that was lost on the trail. I am happy to keep it, but i would like to return it to the rightful owner if possible. Please PM me with proper description and I'll gladly meet you out there to return and go for a ride.

Thanks

I've seen very few people who use this message board. Might be best to call the ranger office about the lost item.

Thanks
    Good point. Will do.

Thanks

If I guess it can I keep it??
    Are the face slappers small enough to be cut with pruning sheers? If so I'll stick a pair in my jersey pocket or pack next time.

Thanks
    Nice Try! I researched it and its not terribly expensive but pretty cool. I never thought of them, but I think small shears could do it. Ill pick some up on my next trip to blue or orange and keep them in my pack.
    Last edited by 78Westy; 06-14-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks

I'll pack mine for next trip out there too

Thanks

Re: Longhunter Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by 78Westy View Post
    Did a couple laps this afternoon and trail is in great shape except getting slapped around in a few spots. I still cant believe how many people come to that trail with shiny bikes no helmets!
    I used to ride at Jones Mill quite a bit. People without helmets out there isn't surprising at all when you consider that the trail is likely seen by every boater that goes to the ramp... Most of which are riding Walmart bikes and figure it's another thing to do besides boat and fish.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Anyone riding today?

Thanks
    Is Long Hunter the same as Jones Mill? I was trying to go to Long Hunter but as my directions brought me in to my destination, the roadside signs were saying Jones Mill. Other then that confusion I had a lot of fun. I completed 2 laps on my very first visit and had a blast! Trail is in great shape! Everything's on the beginner side of things, but very fun and fast. In ways it reminded me of Cane Ridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/409548830
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

Thanks

Yes Jones Mill is in long hunter state park. It is the only trail there that bikes are allowed on. There is a hikable lakeside trail that connects Bryant Grove to the main part of long hunter.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    Is Long Hunter the same as Jones Mill? I was trying to go to Long Hunter but as my directions brought me in to my destination, the roadside signs were saying Jones Mill. Other then that confusion I had a lot of fun. I completed 2 laps on my very first visit and had a blast! Trail is in great shape! Everything's on the beginner side of things, but very fun and fast. In ways it reminded me of Cane Ridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/409548830
    Got a little more then 2 laps in with 10.5 mile ride?

Thanks

Got a little more then 2 laps in with 10.5 mile ride?
    Is 3.5 miles... 10.5 would be 3 laps.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I guess my GPS is way off, I dunno. I used an android smartphone to record in Strava, did 2 laps + equipment check/warmup in parking lot and got 10.5 miles. But to get 10.5, when I should get 7 is WAY off. Like 1.5 times the correct distance!
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

Thanks

I was just curious how you got that mileage in case there was a segment I've been missing. Keep hearing rumors that trail is going to be expanded

Thanks
    I was just curious how you got that mileage in case there was a segment I've been missing. Keep hearing rumors that trail is going to be expanded
    i looked at the strava recording... the gps is all over the place. i'm going to call this a poor gps track. i also don't see this ever going and doing the actual return loop. there is very little of this trail that is 2-way. it should only be 2 way between the return loop sign and the right-turn to go up to bald knob. the return loop kinda looks like a road where you cross it.

this is an old ride that i did there and is a legit gps trace of the trail....3.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/83484112#1893168562
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Nice detective work, Strava Tard?

Thanks

Nice detective work, Strava Tard?
    You have to yell out STRAVA at the top of your lungs when you pass people.
    --
    stephen

Thread Information