Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickasaw Trace Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,812 Times in 1,869 Posts

Chickasaw Trace Conditions Here - everyone post!

Use this thread to update trail conditions at CT

Columbia Weather

Thanks

Any thoughts on if Chickasaw will be rideable this weekend?

Thanks
    From the TNMB Facebook page today ;

"I just did one loop at Chickasaw and its in fairly good condition. However there is lots of debris in the trail. I cleared several small trees and limbs but it still has some down. Nothing major however. The trail is fairly dry just tacky however not muddy enough to stick to your tires. It will be a beautiful day tomorrow as it was today."
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

4. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Lenchito for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just did about 6 miles of the trail and conditions were good. Started from traditional trailhead location, gravel road to left as you enter the park. Noticing that some people are now driving all the way back near the boat ramp and riding from there, which is cool. We bailed out at the back side of the dump just after the jailbreak cutoff (out of shape and had had enough). But everything up to that point was in good shape. Couple of soft spots but mostly pretty dry everywhere.

Thanks
    Did a couple laps today...couldn't resist with the weather. CTrace is in excellent condition. Just a couple new trees down, but nothing you can't hop over. They have a race in two weeks, so they'll have those gone soon. Get out there and make it happen while we have this window of opportunity!

Thanks
    Call in sick, take a vacation day or skip school if you didn't hit the trail this weekend. I can't remember the last time it was this perfect. Get it while the gettin's good!

8. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    Can anyone make an educated guess if CT will be open this Saturday?
    I feel like checking it out and it'll be my first time there.

Kinda iffy with the supposed rain today, Friday, and possible chance on Saturday...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TUss View Post

Kinda iffy with the supposed rain today, Friday, and possible chance on Saturday...
    it was better than I have ever seen it yesterday afternoon. just have to wait and see for the weekend.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TUss View Post

Rode it twice this weekend. Best conditions I have ever seen. Had a great time every second. I can tell you this, unless there is a complete downpour, the trails will not be closed. But, that being said if it does rain and the trail is open, I would still be hesitant to go. With risk of destroying the trail and not having an enjoyable ride at stake. It all depends on how much we get. Worst case scenario, head over to Montgomery bell. Should be good regardless.

My 2 cents.
    "It's a mountain bike, weather is a non-factor."

Thanks
    Is the race on the 22nd or 23rd?? I'm getting my back that Friday and desperately want to hit a trail that Sunday morning (23rd).
    You don't have to be great to start, you just have to start to be great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryanm View Post
    Is the race on the 22nd or 23rd?? I'm getting my back that Friday and desperately want to hit a trail that Sunday morning (23rd).
    The MTB race is Sunday the 23rd and there is a 15k trail run race on Saturday the 22nd. So the trail will be closed to recreational riders during certain times both days.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

14. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode bout 7am this morning, trail was awesome! Great shape for the classic next weekend! Thank you to the volunteers that have worked their magic on this trail system. I live much closer to l4, but decided to bite the bullet and drive a bit, for a good ride. Well worth it to get some good riding in. Get it this evening before the rain hits in the morning.

Thanks

Rode 3 laps this afternoon and man it was the best I have ever seen it in my 16 years riding it. Not dry and dusty yet just perfect dirt for railing the corners. Even the creek crossing was completely dry. We just don't see conditions like this at this time of year. I so hope the rain tomorrow and next week doesn't ruin it. I dream of conditions like this on race day it has been so many years since we have had a dry race.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

Thanks
    Rode it yesterday and it was amazing! Jumps were in great shape. Dirt felt good. It was an awesome ride!
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Yesterday evening the trail was tacky to even dry in many places. Only some of the long-term trouble spots were a little slippery, but no mud was kicked up. There were no trees or limbs down.

Get out and ride there before the poison oak/ivy grows!! There were small plants already, so we go from cold, ice and snow straight to poison ivy growth? Uggh!

19. The following user says "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just finished a ride and trail is in good shape. Some soft spots and a couple of slick spots but overall good riding. It needs a few rides now to pack the dirt the horses have kicked up.

Thanks
    Nuff said:

Chickasaw 4.5.14.jpg

The bike back at the trailhead was very clean with no mud. I was on the trail until dark and it really dried a lot since the rain Friday. The trail was tacky to dry in most places. There were only a few slick spots.

22. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Little wet and slick in spots but not too bad. Should be pretty good riding tomorrow.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to bblanham for this useful post:

Thanks
    ^^^^ What he said, only better. The trail was about perfect today. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks
    Rode Chickasaw today. It's A-Ok, #1 Primo Excellent ready to ride. A couple soft spots, but that's about it!

27. The following user says "Thank You" to spieg for this useful post:

Thanks
    anyone down that way (or that rides CT a lot) know how it will be tomorrow? Thinking I might try and drive down but not sure if it will be OK after the rain last night

Thanks
    I walked it this morning and it was not rideable. I doubt it will dry enough overnight, Sunday is your best bet I think.

Thanks

Anybody have a prediction on if Chickasaw will be ridable Saturday afternoon?

Thanks
    I'll be out there today and I'll post up trail conditions

Slow-Motion

32. The following user says "Thank You" to kevkizer for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    I am thinking about tomorrow do tell how it is!

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks

There's a 2-3 ft diameter tree in a kind of sneaky location in the first half mile of the black hills trail; it's just before the built- up log roll. About waist high and coming out of a curve. Watch out.

Thanks
    tree has been cleared and most sections have been trimmed. go ride!

Slow-Motion

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to kevkizer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Absolutely perfect conditions today at CT; also didn't hurt that Fuji and Breezer were doing a demo. That new linkage on the SuperCell is unbelievable. I ride a hardtail and didn't feel any loss of power to the rear from pedal bob on the rock climbs, and that rear shock soaks up all the roots and rocks on the flats and downhills. Get out and ride.

TC

38. The following user says "Thank You" to tee_cee for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Chickasaw Trace Conditions Here - everyone post!

Chickasaw is perfect right now. I saw a turtle in the parking lot and he pissed himself.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Got a chance to ride Chickasaw today. There were a few wet spots but overall the trail was perfect.

41. The following user says "Thank You" to mbogosia for this useful post:

Thanks
    Chick as of today started out great!…….until……..

I was just starting trail of tears when the bottom dropped out! It poured like crazy and we were riding in the middle of it. so i expect it to be pretty darn wet for a day or two.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Any updates on conditions here? I assume it's open. A group of us from Clarksville are headed down in the morning. I suspect our ETA will be 9:30-9:45 at the trail head.

Thanks
    Trail is great as of today. One leaner, can't remember if it's Trail of Tears, or Black Hills, and another down tree about 2 miles in just past the rolled hay on the river trail, but conditions are otherwise good with no standing water and only one soft spot in a small low area.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Chickasaw Trace Conditions Here - everyone post!

Trail is all good. I had an involuntary dismount on the section beside the river after you cross the road past the tabletop. I think some of the boaters thought I was dying. It was awesome.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

47. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

bud

Thanks

How do y'all think Chickasaw will be today? Did it rain as much in Columbia as it did here?

Thanks
    There were a few true American heroes out there yesterday. As I came across the road at the boat ramp towards the jumps, I noticed the trail was cleared out about two or three feet on either side. A few minutes later I saw a guy with a weedeater going to town. I slowed, said thanks and gave him a thumbs up. It was amazing because I could see far enough ahead to get the speed that I needed to set the Strava air time KOM over the the cheater ramp on the log crossing. SCORE! Then I saw a guy on a riding mower clearing out either side of the trail through the field and slowed and said thanks to him. On lap two I saw a few other guys with weedeaters and stopped to talk. All I could do was lamely say I appreciated all their work. They seemed stoked that somebody recognized their effort instead of just blowing by.

I love this trail and cannot understand why it doesn't get more traffic. I was the only person riding.

In addition to these guys, a big THANKS to all the people who put in all the hard work to keep the trails in nice shape.

50. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thinking about taking a trip down that way next week. This will be my first time riding out there. Any tips/advice?
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Thanks

As long as it is dry a couple days before you should be fine. Careful on the wooden jump before the boat ramp, the landing area has washed out and there is deep groove which could be a problem if you land in it. There is another deep rut in Rick Harmon's area after the downhill but other than that, enjoy!

53. The following user says "Thank You" to whamonkey for this useful post:

Thanks
    anyone ridden out there lately that can post an update? We are going out there in the morning and wanted to get an update.

Thanks
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Thanks
    An insincere "you're welcome" to anybody who hit the trail after me. I was the first one in and got to sample all the fantastic work the spiders had done. Unlike the Lock 4 spiders, the Chickasaw spiders are lazy and decided not to rebuild after the first lap.

On a serious note, the trail was fairly slick and is need of some work. There was a ton of debris all over the trail, lots of leaners, a few new duckers, a sketchy barber chair tree break over the trail and a few trees across the trail. I got as much of it as possible and everything was passable except one log. The trail is going to need hand tools and a chainsaw to get some of it. I was able to break some stuff back away from the trail but a lot of it was too new/soft to be able to break it and get it completely out of the way without tools. Managed to drag this one out of the way.
    DSC00724.jpg
    But this one is going to need a chainsaw. It's just after 3 in the turn that leads to the big rocky ditch. You can hit the bypass and come out in the ditch so you don't have to hike it.
    DSC00725.jpg

56. The following user says "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks

We are thinking about asking to build a bridge over that baby. MOAR JHUMPS

58. The following user says "Thank You" to whamonkey for this useful post:

Thanks
    The alternate route was enjoyable, as well!! Nice little drop off into the gully. Not as fast s the normal route, but I actually enjoyed it more. I had not gone that way until that big tree fell and blocked the regular route.

Another bridge there would be a nice addition. Especially with the speed of that section. Up and over with a yeehaw!

Thanks CCC gang

Thanks
    Anyone rode Chickasaw last few days, looking to make trip late this week

Thanks
    Sunday afternoon was sweet and sweet can be.

Thanks CCC trail stewards for the work put in on Saturday!

62. The following user says "Thank You" to Lenchito for this useful post:

Thanks

Hey y'all, this trail is still there and was in GREAT shape Saturday morning. Of course now it will take several days to dry out, but once it does I will be right back out there. My sincere thanks to those who do all the work. You rock!
    Keep Riding,

Tim

08 Haro Escape hardtail
    11 Seven Elium SLX (Custom is the only way to go!)
    '10 Nissan Altima

Thanks

It was still pretty awesome this afternoon before the drizzle set in. Thanks again to the Columbia Cycling Club.
    Keep Riding,

Tim

08 Haro Escape hardtail
    11 Seven Elium SLX (Custom is the only way to go!)
    '10 Nissan Altima

Thanks
    Could someone report on the trail conditions since last week's deep freeze and this week's rain and what might be expected by this coming weekend?

66. The following user says "Thank You" to Maintainer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode Chickasaw on 1/19. Was hoping with all the warmer weather over the weekend trail would be in good shape. Creek trail was fairly muddy in areas, surprisingly in areas that are out in the field but I think that's as much to do with the rutting. Also river trail has a couple of muddy areas. Most of the rest of the trail was in pretty good shape. With that said I took the shortcuts from woodland to trail of tears and also both shortcuts on trail of tears so I can't speak to every part of the trail. As long as the rain holds off this week I think it should be in pretty good shape, but I may be too optimistic about the drying capabilities of the warmer days during this time of year.

Thanks
    Chickasaw Trace is in fantastic shape right now! Hero Dirt supreme! They have added a few new sections since the last time I went out there, nothing crazy just a couple of reroutes but there is one section that has a sweet lil roller climb section before dropping back to the original trail. I had a blast out there yesterday!
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Will Chickasaw be able to ride on this weekend ?

Thread Information