Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defeated Creek Conditions Here (Bear Wheels Trail) - everyone post!

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    You know Im down for that Gary!
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

2. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went and rode out there for the first time today. Really fun trail! It was in pretty good shape; a lot of dead fall that I either bulldozed through or cleared. One tree leaning over the trail with in the first mile or so of Grizzly Bear, thought about using the hand saw but it was pretty solid wood so I decided I wasn't going to be able to get it. Getting a little thick toward the top, but the trail is still easily visible.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode there twice this weekend. Overall trail is in very good shape, needs weed eating from sink hole to the top. other than it just needs riders. lower loop is perfect.

may schedule a work day later in month when my schedule slows down a bit. be looking for it.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

6. The following user says "Thank You" to scuba steve for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Anyone know if the trail has been trimmed lately? Thinking of a ride there tomorrow.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Rode there last weekend and it is getting pretty grown up.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Scuba Steve is considering a clean-up day up there next weekend. I'll be out of town or I'd be in on it.

Mark, the next Sat. you plan to go up there, let me know!

Gary

Thanks
    How's it looking?
    1992 Fuji Sandblaster
    2010 Specialized Hardrock 29
    2012 Scott CR-1 Team
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29
    2007 Yamaha YZ-250

Thanks
    Fun ride yesterday w/ Ryanthelyon and Syndicate! The trail apparently hasn't seen much action lately and could use some serious love. 3-4 blocking trees and lots of tall grass and weeds (glad we had DEET). So far no chiggers, Otherwise, great conditions!!

Gary

I currently live in Mount Juliet Tennessee.
    Thanks
    This trail is in an awful state. I went out this weekend to try and find some hills to train on. I was only able to go about 1.5 miles before just giving up. Completely overgrown, trees down, branches everywhere, spider webs every 6 feet. Don't waste your time. Shame that this trail doesn't get any attention.

14. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to encyclopediabrown for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah, it is a shame. Apparently nobody that way rides any more. A handful have tried to do a little over the past few years, but work and distance restraints have kept the Sumner Co. crew from being able to do much work out there. We lost one of our faithful, ryanthelyon, to CO last week. Now waiting for a couple of hard freezes to put the weeds down.

Gary

Thanks
    I'm organizing a trail work day this Saturday at my favorite middle Tennessee trail. Meet at trail head around 9:30 am we're planning on camping and riding the next day. I'll probably be too tired to ride but might do lower loop after some recovery time. I'm also going to post this at a couple other sites. If you get there before us, head in with what you have to work with. I'll have two weed eaters for myself and Charlie. I'll also have my back blower. Hoping for at least 8 folks. Post up what tools you can bring. I will have a map to help direct folks to different sections of the trail. We'll also shuttle some folks to the other end so they can back track toward the trail head. You can call me if you have any questions. 615-497-4465

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    double post***

Oops - forgot to write up. It went great. Everything has been trimmed except for the upper middle section. About 1/4 of the trail was blown off. The whole thing needs it. There are so few riders the sticks and small stuff builds up pretty badly. I'm generally opposed to blowing off leaves, but with so few riders, it would actually be a good idea. Trail will disappear in parts with heavy leaf cover.

After the work day, we rode on Sunday and it was amazing, except for the middle. About a mile of horrible through tall weeds.

This was a last minute decision to do the work day due to the forecast. And I was really pleased we had 8 trail workers!!! If you or anyone want to do this again, I'll post on the Upper Cumberland MTB group on Facebook (check it out - ~39 members - new group) If rain s ever forecast for a weekend, great time for a trail work day.

The trail needs herbicide next April. Powerlines, beginner section, upper terraces where weeds grow, and top of hill.

Steve

Thanks
    Ride the trail Friday and it looks pretty good, winter has been good to the trail.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to tkjohnson21 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Got a lap in today at Defeated. There were a couple of trees down but only one that was impassable. It's on the down hill section (second run from top, near the big climb bypass trail). Several branches and smaller trees down in various other areas. Super fast and just a little tacky.

22. The following user says "Thank You" to mtcrosser for this useful post:

Thanks
    Got it all cleared today, after a lap. Had a great ride! Pretty nice being able to see the trail for a change, huh? Zoom-zoom! Much obliged to the men who blew the trail clean!

Gary

24. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Gavin and I went around again yesterday. Except for lots of wind litter and one downed tree on the south end of the lower ridge, the trail was clear and a little damp. Good to ride and the zoom-down was clear and betty-good.

Gary

26. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Good fun Gary! Awesome trail.

Thanks
    Did a lap with friends this morning. NIce way to cap the year. Damp, but way good! Mud on the tires but not the butt or bike.

One tree down after the third switch-back climb (riding counterclockwise). Trails still clear from the month-ago blowing! Thanks, again!

Gary

29. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I hope everyone is enjoying the chilly dry spell. Remember that Thursday January 7th (originally Jan 5th) will be our 2016 Annual Member Meeting at TailGate Brewery (7200 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN 37209). We welcome current, former and potential members to join us for this meeting. Tailgate has a full menu of good food, and they have great beer specials as well(21 and older to drink).Click Here

Thanks
    Trail was in good shape yesterday, frozen and crunchy.Only seen 1 tree down and some branches on it.
    Team Ride 615

32. The following user says "Thank You" to cannonf600 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Charlie and I are going up to Defeated Creek this Sunday afternoon - no set time. We're going to do some "preventative maintenance" along the power lines so the weeds don't take over this summer. Also planning on trimming and blowing the winding beginner section. It would be awesome is a few folks would come up and do the same thing in the two primary areas that over grow every year. The middle "level terrace area" and the upper section and first down dill parts. I'd love for Defeated Creek to be ridable year-round. Post up if you planning on helping. This will be posted on the Middle TN MTB and Upper Cumberland MTB Facebook pages also.

Steve

Thanks
    Trail is great and visible. Get it while you can!

Gary

Thanks
    How was the powerline section and the reroute that we made at the construction area?

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Trail is great and visible. Get it while you can!

Thanks
    It was fine! Just needs some riding in.

There are three, I believe, trees that need clearing. All are easily lifted over, but but too high or angled to being made to ride over.

It would be very cool to figure some way to way-point them on a trail map in order to short-cut to them.

Gary

37. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Put in a couple of laps today at DC. Not too bad overall. Weeds are starting to get pretty high in the typical areas, but you can still see the trail.

Thanks
    This morning was probably my last full ride for the summer, unless we have a big party of weed-wackers. Rode knee deep in it from mile 5 and beyond. There were three, maybe four carry-over trees down. One on the ccw ascent to the top. If you want some, might get it this week!

Gary

Thanks
    Had a trip to Knox and stopped by Defeated on the way home. Homer is 100% correct. Lots of growth. Also, it must've gotten a bit more rain than anywhere else because the trail was really damp. Riding in a rain forest. Damp, wet and overgrown. The trees on the trail aren't too bad; a decent tree saw would be fine. Seems like too much work for homer to hike the chainsaw up in the backpack. Anyhow, I enjoyed myself, but there is a bit of growth.

Still a great trail.

I'm going to head back to my personal Guy Clark memorial!

41. The following user says "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Always trust your cape!

Gary

Thanks
    Need to set up a work day. It would be easier now than later. How is the powerline section holding up?

Steve

Thanks
    Powerline was OK. The weeds at mile 5 to 6, or so, and the downhill are the main problem areas.

Gary

45. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone been out here lately?

Middle TN Gravity Pics / Vids

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

Thanks
    Great question. It's about time to start getting the best trail in Middle Tn back in riding shape though for sure!

Thanks
    I plan on ridding it this weekend.
    Team Ride 615

49. The following user says "Thank You" to cannonf600 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sweet. Let us know what kind of shape the trails in if you can! Thanks.

Thanks
    Rode Defeated today.Lots of branches and of course leaves on the trail. Grown up in some areas but not that bad.Moved about a dozen small trees off the trail in the first 3 miles. Mile marker 3.5 medium sized tree across the trail and also one at the 4.Just before the 5 mile marker right after the very steep,short,straight climb there are 3 massive tress on the trail. After walking around the 3rd one I could not find the trail again and was forced to abort and turn around. The woods were so thick and I was forced so far off the trail I didn't want to step on a copperhead or rattler I couldn't see.Trail will need lots of love before it's rideable.
    Team Ride 615

52. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cannonf600 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the update. And those are the conditions I imagined. Peace.

Thanks
    After a couple of good, hard frosts, maybe we can get a crew together and do some clearing!

Gary

55. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sounds good to me.

Thanks

Defeated Creek Conditions Here (Bear Wheels Trail) - everyone post!

SORBAmidTN would like to schedule a work day at Defeated Creek. Please email trails@sorbamidtn.org if you are interested, and we will get a date and crew together. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm in. Message sent.

Gary

Thanks
    Work day, Oct. 29! Here are specifics. I'll post on Upcoming Events, also.

https://www.facebook.com/events/6853...tab=discussion

Gary

Thanks
    Bump

Gary

Thanks
    Got a ride out there this afternoon. Conditions couldn't have been better! Looks like a couple of riders have been out there recently. That is good. With so little use due to all of the downed trees, we about lost it. Still needs some burning in.

One low leaner blocking the trail at about mid-way on the traverse following the big run-down.

Gary

Thread Information