Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defeated Creek Conditions Here (Bear Wheels Trail) - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Trail was in good condition except for one spot. Riding counterclockwise, after the downhill, at the first far west left-hand switchback (near the hiking trail and about a mile from the top.). Lots of water leaching out of the ground and a muddy mess. We turned around and went back the way we came. Good stuff! Get out there and ride before the weeds take over…again...

Gary

Thanks
    It was in good shape today, a little damp in a couple spots but great overall. Weeds haven't taken over quite yet, but they are well on their way. I never lost sight of the trail so I consider that good for this time of year. Three trees down total, one small cedar right at the entrance, but the other two are 18" to 24" up on the top loop (as always! Why can't the big ones be at the bottom for once!?). Definitely need a chainsaw for those two. I took a slow first lap and tried to knock all the big stuff off the trail but there's a ton of face slappers that need to be cut and I didn't have my cutters with me. If anyone wants to get together and spend a Saturday morning up there I think it wouldn't take long to knock that stuff out with several people. Unfortunately I'm out of town this upcoming weekend but should be around after that.
    Chet

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Chet, holler when you get back and you, Ryan, and I can meet and take care of some of that. Ryan has a mini 4-wheeler that we could rig up to care the chain saw.

Gary

5. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Defeated Creek Conditions Here (Bear Wheels Trail) - everyone post!

Will do!
    Chet

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Good shape this morning. Not wet at all. Great group ride! Found several downed trees blocking the trail. Went back up with chainsaw and we got it all cleared except for one big one that could be rolled over if you have the nerve. May try to cut it out next time, if not notch off the top. Getcha some. You can still see the trail.

Oh, yeah. A big thanks goes to Ryan (thelyon), Tim (Uzzi), and Michael (gmb) for the clearing work! Much obliged!
    Last edited by homer; 06-14-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Gary

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    2 thumbs up... today was our first time out there.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks

Defeated Creek Conditions Here (Bear Wheels Trail) - everyone post!

Sorry I couldn't help you clear that, work has been killing me lately and I've been dying to get back up there. Thanks for all your hard work though! Much appreciated!
    Chet

13. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Bone dry out there this morning. Goodun with Ryan and Coop. Weeds are closing in, so get it while you can.

Gary

15. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Was thinking of hitting this trail on Sunday. Anybody have any updates?
    Would prefer to ride Lock4 or Hammy, just don't have the time.
    Thanks
    CHIEF

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    The last time I was out there it was all clear, that was 2-3 weeks ago. Lots of overgrowth on some of the upper trails, but the soil should be in great shape.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

18. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Ryan. I'll let y'all know in what condition they're in.
    CHIEF

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Homer did all the work. We just watched. I have the pictures to prove it!

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Glad to hear this trail has gotten some attention lately. Looks like 4-6 of us are going saturday. I've been wanting to ride defeated creek clockwise after reading on here about it. Should be fun.

Thanks
    What time are ya'll gonna be out there? Clockwise is my favorite direction out there... be warned whenever I do it with others I get mixed reactions. ha. I think it's a bit more technical backwards and certainly more descending overall.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Saturday sounds good!

Gary

Thanks
    Yea, what time?! I may be up for that!
    Chet

Thanks
    At the moment, we are planning on meeting in Hendersonville at 9 so that should put us there at 10:15-10:30.

Feel free to message me if y'all want to meet in h'ville. Just a heads up though, we will probably only do one lap. Making up that first 2 miles will probably do a few of us in haha.

28. The following user says "Thank You" to thetimanator for this useful post:

Thanks
    Glad that the trail is getting some love. Living in Cookeville, it's nice to have something that's kinda close. It's been nearly 3 years since I've been to defeated creek. Should be fun.
    CHIEF

Thanks
    Was stoked about Sat., then remembered I'd promised my grandson that I'd take him to a train show. Y'all have fun!

Gary

Thanks
    On second thought, I may hold off on DC, my front shock was poppin and creakin on the last ride with my FS so I need to get that checked out before i damage something. And I'm not hardcore like Ryan to take the SS up there......just sayin.
    Chet

32. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    You know you wanna bring that SS out there and do some climbing! I'm not gonna make it out there saturday either. We'll have to get another group ride out there asap though!

Thanks
    Hey now! I was thinkin about putting the 19 cog back on it and giving it a shot, but I knew I'd be hurtin after that....might try it in the fall when I'm at full strength. I'm just now adjusting to the 17 I put on this spring, its feeling good now.
    Chet

35. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickwilly View Post
    Hey now! I was thinkin about putting the 19 cog back on it and giving it a shot, but I knew I'd be hurtin after that....might try it in the fall when I'm at full strength. I'm just now adjusting to the 17 I put on this spring, its feeling good now.
    Put the 20 cog on it and go. I rode 4 laps out there about a month ago with a 32x20 and made most all the climbs, no problem. The only thing pushing a bigger gear does is put more strain on your back and knees, imho. I run a 32x14 or 15 when I set it up, with my slicks, when I feel like a long SS road ride.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Robert, if you did 4 laps on a 32x20 out there then you're my new hero! I can do 2 on my 2x10 FS and I'm about done. I wish I was at that level of riding but not quite yet, getting more stamina every year though. Let me guess.....it was full rigid too.....
    And thanks for the encouragement, it is a goal to do DC SS, but I will definitly be going back to a 19 or 20 for that.
    Chet

Thanks
    Robert's a freak, Chet. Looks for stuff to climb. I just shake my head and think of all the crying I'd be doing. Highly recommend catching a ride with him. "Steady as she goes."

Gary

39. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    No it was not fully rigid. I may be crazy but I am not stupid. I do like a rigid bike because it seems to climb better. It is not as fast descending because of the ow factor. You can ride this trail SS. On any steep trail, especially in the mountains, if I am geared correctly that will mean some hike a bike sections. DC gets me counter clockwise on the switchback before the longer climb or if I mess a line up going over the rocks. I just do what I have to do. Depends on the day. Sometimes, I make stuff easy, sometimes I don't. I love the ride either way.
    I am Facebook challenged.

41. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    hey who you calling stupid?? I've rode 3 laps out there multiple times but 4 just once and all fully rigid SS. Nothin to it but to do it!

43. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ok Ryan! You're my second new hero!
    Chet

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Slickwilly for this useful post:

Thanks
    Maybe Ryan and Robert need to hook up?

Gary

Thanks
    Had a lot of fun out there today. Rode it clockwise. I've got mixed feelings about it. While coming down the upper loop, the grass has grown up in a lot of areas to the point where you can't see the trail. Makes it kinda sketchy when you're riding fast through those areas. The lower loops clockwise is a blast though.

We removed some downed trees but a chainsaw will be needed for the others. There's 3 or so on the upper part of the lower loop and 1 on the lower part of the upper loop if that makes sense.

48. The following user says "Thank You" to thetimanator for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah, the weeds and grasses get bad this time of year. Last year Hawse had the stuff to take care of it. A 4-wheeler with 7 gal. sprayer. Rode along spraying the overgrowth and carried a chain saw for all of the cutting out. Haven't heard from him in some time. We may have to rig up something on Ryan's mini-4-wheeler!

By the way, you have to admit that the first desent from the top and all of the north slope run-downs are fun!
    Last edited by homer; 07-26-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: afterthought

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    By the way, you have to admit that the first desent from the top and all of the north slope run-downs are fun!
    oh yeah, those sections were fun and fast, and there's not a million switchbacks so you can keep that speed for a while. I guess I just need to ride it again counter clockwise soon to compare

51. The following user says "Thank You" to thetimanator for this useful post:

Thanks
    Counter will make a man of ya!

Gary

53. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    You know it...
    If you aint sweating you aint working!!!!
    (W)

2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2010 Trek Fuel EX-5
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road Bike

55. The following user says "Thank You" to drillman for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have to say, clockwise sucks for a while (if you can survive the immediate jump in heart rate for two miles), but then it's mostly descend (except for the last mile or so). This probably explains the number of riders we meet when we are going counter. It is the finest trail in our area, but I must confess a certain amount of dread that I bring. Going counter, which is our norm (for at least the first go-round) is all good until you get to mile 6 or so. Then the sucking begins. Mile 7-9…ZOOM! The payoff!

Come out and do it. It is sweet!

Gary

Thanks
    I like going counter. That decent at the last makes me feel like I'm 15 years old again.
    If you aint sweating you aint working!!!!
    (W)

2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2010 Trek Fuel EX-5
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road Bike

58. The following user says "Thank You" to drillman for this useful post:

Thanks
    did two loops the homer way Sunday morning: one counter and one clockwise. The counter loop was at least 20 minutes longer than the clockwise loop. Hot, humid sloppy mess on Sunday.

there were three trees down over the trail. if one is going counter, the first tree is about a mile or so from the wall and the last one is around 3/8's to a half mile from the wall. They weren't too big... but too big for my foldable hand saw. It looked like the easiest way to get a saw in would be to go straight up from the road. You could see the road from one of the downed trees.

Besides trees, the trail was in great shape. A little overgrown, but still rideable.

60. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmb_industries View Post
    did two loops the homer way Sunday morning: one counter and one clockwise. The counter loop was at least 20 minutes longer than the clockwise loop. Hot, humid sloppy mess on Sunday.

there were three trees down over the trail. if one is going counter, the first tree is about a mile or so from the wall and the last one is around 3/8's to a half mile from the wall. They weren't too big... but too big for my foldable hand saw. It looked like the easiest way to get a saw in would be to go straight up from the road. You could see the road from one of the downed trees.

Besides trees, the trail was in great shape. A little overgrown, but still rideable.
    As of last week, same conditions. Weeds and face slappers getting worse.

62. The following user says "Thank You" to mtcrosser for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ryan and I rode this morning. Soils were great, as were the spiders, as Ryan found out. Weeds/grasses are covering trail completely in some stretches on the upper sections. Can't wait for a couple of hard frosts! Three trees down that will need cutting. Had to move numerous wind falls. Trail clear except for the three.

Gary

64. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Any confirmation of work getting done out there last weekend? I'll love to give it a go, but only if it's clear (particularly of weeds and grasses=chiggers)!

Gary

Thanks
    Was @ Defeated Creek last weekend, the 3rd and there are still trees across trail on the Grizzly Bear ( Upper Section ) and lots of limbs and weeds covering trail on upper section.... Lower section in fair shape. Removed as much as I could move..
    Not sure how to schedule a work day, but if anyone is planning on going to do some work.. I will be glad to help... Great trail, needs some TLC for the winter season coming up..

67. The following user says "Thank You" to K Crossman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Had a good turnout for work today. Got most of it blown off and all clear (except for the top of a tree at the top, that can be ridden around). Trail is drying quickly. By tomorrow, it will be great! It was very nice being able to see the trail, especially on the downhill. First time to run down it with no brakes in a very long time!

Big thanks to Steven and Ruthie for spearheading this! Thanks to Steven, Ruthie, Stanley, Adam, Joe, Ryan, Gavin, Mike, Martin, and others for getting it done!

Gary

69. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    It was great to see so many people out for a work day...and after the work, the trail was as good as I've ever seen it.

71. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail is awesome if anyone cares. Peace.

73. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    All clear and in great shape! Trees have lost their leaves, so great views. Best trail in middle TN. Getcha some!

Gary

75. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll second the best trail in Mid Tn comment! Hate that I missed riding with you guys out there today. Be back from Chatt tomorrow. Peace.

77. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to gavin77 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Had a very fun nice-and-easy ride yesterday with Ryan, Martin, and Keef. Awesome weather! Short sleeves in the middle of January. Hard to beat. Trail was a little soft, during and after thaw, but able to ride all the steeps with decent traction. Still nice to let-it-roll on the main run-down. Still the best!

Gary

79. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Had a very fun nice-and-easy ride yesterday with Ryan, Martin, and Keef. Awesome weather! Short sleeves in the middle of January. Hard to beat. Trail was a little soft, during and after thaw, but able to ride all the steeps with decent traction. Still nice to let-it-roll on the main run-down. Still the best!
    Who is Keef? Does he ride with Beaver?

Thanks
    DC was great today with a few slick spots. Also, there are 2 unpassable trees down crossing the trail. The biggest one is 1/2 mile before the steepest climb going in the counter clockwise direction. Need a pack mule to get a saw back there!

82. The following user says "Thank You" to KDub for this useful post:

Thanks
    Or Ryan with a backpack.

Gary

84. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thread Information