Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutes Branch Trail Conditions Here - Everyone Post!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts

Shutes Branch Trail Conditions Here - Everyone Post!

Use this thread to update trail conditions at SB

Mt Juliet Weather

2. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    We found a set of white ear buds on the hillside last week. Let me know if they are yours.

And, we're planning a night ride Tuesday after work / school. If it doesn't rain.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Anyone know if the mile markers on Shutes are accurate? I figure that the markers are more accurate than my iphone app (runtastic MTB) that always says car to car is 6 miles.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Thanks

Re: Shutes Branch Trail Conditions Here - Everyone Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
    Anyone know if the mile markers on Shutes are accurate? I figure that the markers are more accurate than my iphone app (runtastic MTB) that always says car to car is 6 miles.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I haven't been out there in a while, but if you are only getting 6 miles, either your gps is way off or you are missing some trail.
    Last edited by drwx; 12-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    I think I am hitting the whole trail through marker N so it must be off. It sure feels like a lot more than 6.

Thanks
    It is more than 6 mi. It has been measured 7.9 mi. from the beginning back to the car, (form N back to the start via the camp road).
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

Thanks

Re: Shutes Branch Trail Conditions Here - Everyone Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
    I think I am hitting the whole trail through marker N so it must be off. It sure feels like a lot more than 6.
    Try comparing your gps trace to a copy of the map.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Drove by the trail today. Saw someone riding?
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

10. The following user says "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks
    RE GPS milage: with the tight twisty turns, the GPS mileage is wrong and nothing wrong with your unit. The mile markers were set by a rolling type of bike computer. 7.9 miles start to end of trail. 8.2 car to car. If you zoom in on one of the tight curves on your GPS plot, notice its a series of straight lines. My GPS is wrong at Shutes, Lock 4, Hamilton Creek, etc. But on the greenway, it's the same as my bike computer.

RE Riding yesterday - hope he had a good ride??? I can't imagine how not fun that was.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Thanks
    We walked from B-F today. Trail is a sloppy mess, and the rocks are really slick. Looks like someone has been trimming lately. Only evidence of trail use was boot tracks. Saw standing water in several places. The most interesting thing we saw was a pink beach ball in a tree next to an overhanging tree. Looks like it will be awhile before the trail is rideable.

13. The following user says "Thank You" to nmandrews for this useful post:

Thanks
    The intermediate side is awesome, get out there and ride!
    The beginner side is a little slick and muddy, skip it.

Thanks

Has anybody been out since the rain? I haven't put in a ride since fall. Need to lose the gut!

Thanks
    If you get out before noon the trail will still be frozen, which is fine to ride
    Lynskey Pro 29 SS

17. The following user says "Thank You" to jbarber for this useful post:

Thanks

Thanks. I didn't think of that.

Thanks

Rode technics and it's mostly good there were some muddy areas. This guy showed up and said he was going to cut up the tree on the easy trail.

Thanks

Rode some of the easy side yesterday. Very cold and crunchy. Decided to call it quits since most of the back section of trail was in the sun where it was muddy. Looked like a lot of people rode the trail anyhow due to all the ruts I noticed.

Thanks
    Good news for the Shutesites - I have walked from D to N with my pick axe and have removed every stump that was within the tail corridor. Several sections will be faster since the stumps were your tires wanted to go, but you couldn't. And Jeff W. has waked B-D also clearing the stumps.

Steve

PS PLEASE AVOID F to G due to the mud.

22. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ran a lot of the trail this evening. The sunny spots had refrozen. May try to ride Sat. morning before the trail starts to thaw. Once the trail thaws, it will be a mess for awhile. The "Beginning" section (trailhead to B) has a lot of damage from mud ridding. A couple of kids have been riding in the mud a lot on that section. I have not had the opportunity to talk to them about it, I assume they don't know any better.
    The weather has sucked for mountain biking, but not trail work. Big thanks to Steve and Jeff for the obvious improvements to the trail.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

24. The following user says "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone checked the trail today? I'm assuming it won't be rideable due to the freezing temps and thawing. If someone knows the latest I'd love to hear a report. Thanks!
    ##
    Aaron W.
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite full suspension

Thanks
    A little late but, I went by yesterday in hopes of riding. Trail was wet! There was even water coming out of the cracks in the pavement from the thaw. We'll likely see a bunch of failed pavement this spring.

Steve

27. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks

I'm here now in hopes of riding before the sun comes up. But if it's as bad as everyone is saying I'll just leave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    A little late but, I went by yesterday in hopes of riding. Trail was wet! There was even water coming out of the cracks in the pavement from the thaw. We'll likely see a bunch of failed pavement this spring.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I figured it was going to be pretty bad conditions so I enjoyed the afternoon outside at home. I wish we could get a break from all the moisture; I miss the trails. I checked the forecast this morning and starting today through Friday we have freezing temps followed by snow mix on Friday morning and Saturday. If that happens, it'll kill at least another week of riding possibilities.

I wish there was such as thing as an indoor MTB course.
    ##
    Aaron W.

Thanks

I rode a little of the trail this morning before the sun came up and besides the creek all the mucky areas were frozen solid. The wind was a bit to much.

I'm planing on going out sometime this week to help in repairing the ruts on the beginners section.

31. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Amalgam29 for this useful post:

Thanks
    The trail was still frozen late yesterday afternoon. Only the few sections in the Beginning section that still had surface ice, that was melting were bad.
    Do to sublimation of the surface ice, the trail looks dry, except for some of the low spots. But the frozen layer is as deep as we usually see around here. So I think there will be a lot of water when it thaws. It will probably get messy.
    Last edited by e-fish; 02-01-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

Thanks
    I decided to check out Shutes in person with the backup plan of riding the Greenway if the trail was in bad shape. In a word, the trip was "frustrating." Many parts of the trail were in awesome shape and almost seemed dusty. But there are still quite a few really wet, really muddy spots too. I'd ride the nice stuff and walk around the bad spots. All the stop and go became tiresome so I bailed after just over 3 miles.

I'd say it is going to be quite some time before the trail is going to be fully rideable. There are sections which are okay to ride but it's bad enough overall it wasn't even fun.
    ##
    Aaron W.

34. The following user says "Thank You" to trajik for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trajik View Post
    I decided to check out Shutes in person with the backup plan of riding the Greenway if the trail was in bad shape. In a word, the trip was "frustrating." Many parts of the trail were in awesome shape and almost seemed dusty. But there are still quite a few really wet, really muddy spots too. I'd ride the nice stuff and walk around the bad spots. All the stop and go became tiresome so I bailed after just over 3 miles.

I'd say it is going to be quite some time before the trail is going to be fully rideable. There are sections which are okay to ride but it's bad enough overall it wasn't even fun.
    I took the dog for a walk on the trail, assuming it would not be ridable, but if it was, I'd be back with the bike. Parts of the trail looked really good, and parts were really bad. I decided it would be more fun to put in 30 minutes on the rowing machine (and that is not at all fun, though a good workout).
    The first mile (start to A) really bad, as expected. I have never seen such deep ruts in a trail, that can't be fun! The rest of the Beginning section, from A to B, not so bad, ridable. White Rocks, from B to E, OK to good. The Jungle, from E to F, enough mud to make it, not worth while. From F to G, forget it. We need to do some work on the section that climbs up to G just after the creek crossing. The Hillside, from G to the top of the hill is about as bad as I have seen it. The Back Side from H to J not so bad. The Interior, from J to N, good for the most part, but with a few sections that were really bad.
    Don't know why I told you all this. For some reason I find it interesting. If you got on and off the trail in the right spots, you could probably get an OK ride in.
    Looking at the ten day forecast, it does not look good for trail riding for the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by e-fish; 02-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

36. The following user says "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks

Anyone been out to the trail this week. Wondering if I should give it a few more days before going out for a ride.

Thanks
    Just went by the trail, its good. I may try to get a ride in before dark.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

39. The following user says "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks
    Saw Shutes was one of the few trails open today and thought I'd give it a go since it has been a long time since I've been over there.

Started out about 11 or so. There were a few cars of bikers in the lot when I started a similar number of cars from walkers. After first lap there were no cars besides mine in the lot. After second lap there were three or four cars with bike racks.

Overall, the trail was in pretty good shape and I had forgotten how much I like the trail. I am not certain that I have ridden the trail since it was completed and I remembered one of the issues I had back in the day was getting confused and lost. So, I was happy that the trail is now well marked and it is easy to ride a loop without taking a wrong turn... or hitting the end of the line and having to turn around.

Most of the trail was in excellent shape. There were a few places where the trail runs through seeps that were a bit wet. But, most of the trail was very good. Surprisingly, in some spots the trail is actually very dry.

Riding the winding rock gardens at Shutes is a real treat. Love the trail and how well the local group has taken care of the resource.

Michael

41. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to gmb_industries for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail is as good as it gets today.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    It was in good shape late this afternoon. The first time I rode this trail, 2 years ago, I said maybe never again. I am not a good rocky rider. However, trying to get to this trail at least 4 times per month has helped me with rocks and roots and learning momentum and picking good lines. It took me about 65 minutes the first time I rode and several dismounts. I haven't cleaned it all on one ride but I have now made everything on this trail at some time and my comfy lap times are now about 55 to 56 minutes average for two laps. I think I will ride it fresh one day when it is dry and see if I can get two laps close to 52 to 53 per lap and then never ever ride it that fast again. I want to thank the people who built this trail, especially TNCaveman. It has made me work on my weakness and helped a lot. I still know when to walk stuff when I am in the mountains but I can ride so much more stuff and not feel so uncomfortable. I know the risk is always there but this trail will definitely help your handling skills if they need it. Mine still do.
    I am Facebook challenged.

44. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have always thought that Shutes is one of the best trails around, to work on the various skills need, to improve your mountain biking performance and enjoyment. A time of 55, I would say is a real good time for Shutes.
    Pretty much all our thoughts on improving the trail at this point are based on making it faster(other than improving some drainiage issuers that have popped up this winter). TNCaveman and others have done a lot of work opening up the trail this winter, which has made it a bit faster. What we really need is berms. Which means dirt and man hours. I think that will be our focus for the future.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

46. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It was in good shape late this afternoon. The first time I rode this trail, 2 years ago, I said maybe never again. I am not a good rocky rider.
    I think a Hamilton Creek ride is in your future.

48. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I think a Hamilton Creek ride is in your future.
    I have my limitations. Cannot remember the last time I rode Hamilton Creek. Good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Shutes is a fun trail, a great workout, and a great training ground for Hamilton Creek, without much of the high risk technical aspects. Robert, yer ready!

Gary

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Still not seeing what is so technical about Hamilton Creek.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts

Gary

Thanks
    Had an awesome ride at Shutes today. My pedaling time was barely under 60 minutes. 55 is a good ride! I should be able to hot 57 or so by mid summer.

On another note: I had pretty good little crash in the Graveyard section. First time that I've ever hit my head. I have done at least 6000 to 8000 miles of off road riding since 2006 and have never had my helmet hit the ground. If I had not had my helmet on, it would have been very bad. I tagged a boulder that had numerous bumps and pointy things all over it. It would have probably opened my skull. No crack in the helmet, but a couple of small dents. Looks like time for new helmet.

Steve

54. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    I had a conversation on the greenway yesterday with a guy asking about whether he needed a helmet. I told him I have at least 2 friends who are alive today because they were wearing a helmet. Glad you were wearing yours.

56. The following user says "Thank You" to nmandrews for this useful post:

Thanks
    I see people helmetless all the time. Sometimes I say something, sometimes I don't. I just don't get that. Heck, I have hit my head on branches that would've really hurt. Glad you are okay Steve. It takes the wind out of the sails for a few minutes.

58. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anyone checked the trail recently; there've been no posts in over a month. I'm going riding this afternoon and am trying to pick where to go. Probably Shutes or L4.
    ##
    Aaron W.

Thanks
    Well, I was at work all day so I just saw this post. I rode there Friday afternoon and it was about perfect. Tacky and no mud at all. Just had to wipe my chain which I always do. Hope you picked it.

61. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Robert. I hadn't ridden Lock 4 in a good while so I chose to drive out there. It was pretty stellar. Shutes will be next as it's the closest.
    ##
    Aaron W.

Thanks
    FYI, Shutes is in great shape. Awesome ride yesterday.

If you help maintain Shutes, the only work currently needed is some light trimming in scattered areas. The first part of the hillside could use a trim of the bushes starting to get bigger. But nothing major yet.

Steve

64. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Shutes was in great shape yesterday (5/18). Wear your Off®.
    ##
    Aaron W.

66. The following user says "Thank You" to trajik for this useful post:

Thanks
    The shower must have been pretty strong up here. It looked okay, but it needs at least one dry day to ride it. Went in and came right out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Westy View Post
    The shower must have been pretty strong up here. It looked okay, but it needs at least one dry day to ride it. Went in and came right out.
    I was just before mile marker 6 when it started raining this afternoon. It was just before 3pm and once it got started it poured pretty hard. I bailed once I hit the split at the road. Other than having to cut the ride 2 miles short it was great.
    ##
    Aaron W.

Thanks
    Trail is in GREAT shape.

Steve

70. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks to whoever has been weed eating! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nmandrews View Post
    Thanks to whoever has been weed eating! Keep up the good work!
    Bill is the man! His son Jeff. And I have got a very, very,very small amount. Bill was out there today and got most of the section along weather station. He also replanted one of the post at the power line to discourage the 4wheelers.
    Way to go Bill!

The trail was in great shape this afternoon.
    ERIC

Vintage MASI SS

73. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thread Information