Thread: Bike size really does matter

Thanks

Bike size really does matter

Ladies -
    Some of you know that I just bought my a new MTB (sweet little GF Piranha xs hardtail ) that took some time to find because of my height and inseam.

I put a post on a thread called 'custom bikes' and got a lot of information - including some recommendations for manufacturers of custom frames for smaller folks (Luna Bikes).

I'd love to hear from you about your experience getting the right sized bike for you - regardless of your size. And what characteristics are important - (as an example: the top tube length vs. standover height).

Also, please feel free to share anything of importance in this forum.
    I don't mean this as a place to slam the guys.

Lisa
    Lisa

"These days, my bike acts as my wheelchair, my gym & my church, all in one." Bill Walton NBA Hall of Famer & Avid Cyclist

2011 Specialized Myka 29er
    2009 Gary Fisher Piranha (Iona)
    2009 Trek 3700

Thanks
    Girls:

I'm sure you all know this, but most bike shops have their own personal favorite "fit system"---I've been the recipient of many different methods. Who is to say which ones are better? I have no idea.

Many times the shop will want to know your goals in riding before they fit you. So my recommendation in choosing a bike frame for YOU, is to get a good fit, with your proper measurements.

Some of the shops I have used, employed what I would say are rather gimmicky devices to measure a rider. They seemed a waste of time to me.

The Wobble-Naught with Dartfish Analysis seems to be the most accurate that I have tried. They employ sophisticated equipment, use a laser beam and video with attached sensors to get your true size.

That said, you don't have to get a "custom" frame if you are small or short. But even if you do, which is not a bad idea, most custom frames are only $200-300 more than stock bike frames, except for the wait.

I have bought stock and custom frames and been happy with both. I have NOT been happy with a bike that doesn't fit me. You should try out many bikes before you decide what fits or feels good

If you only sit or ride one or two bikes, it is not enough of a comparison. You think you know, but the variety of the geometry of the frames is not being offered to you, so how CAN you know?

Off the top of my head, Titus makes great smaller frames for women: my mountain bike coach had me on a Titus early on and I liked it, but I am at the cusp of small woman or regular size, so I can ride a size small 29" bike, which is my fave

Today with so many options available, we should not have to settle for second best, or what is available. the sky is the limit

Remember if they put a man on the moon that long ago, they can build/design a bike for a woman that works functionally!

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to one gear girl for this useful post:

Thanks
    The Wobble-Naught with Dartfish Analysis seems to be the most accurate that I have tried. They employ sophisticated equipment, use a laser beam and video with attached sensors to get your true size.

where would you find that analysis?
    thanks for the info!
    Lisa

"These days, my bike acts as my wheelchair, my gym & my church, all in one." Bill Walton NBA Hall of Famer & Avid Cyclist

2009 Trek 3700

Thanks
    Closest one I know is Atlanta:

55 Nine Performance
    Eddie O'Dea

his wife Namrita O'Dea is a pro rider also, she is a registered dietitian and licensed, getting her PhD, this year: she has helped pro riders with their nutrition plans

Both of these folks are excellent in what they do. Not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for in my opinion

6. The following user says "Thank You" to one gear girl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks - best money I have ever spent has been on a (running) coach and a nutritionist. I know what you mean. Although - I am not even close to a professional athlete, having someone focus on my unique needs is worth every penny.
    Lisa

2009 Trek 3700

Thanks
    Wow - suddenly I feel like a mtn bike schmo. Lasers beams, videos and censors (oh my). Eddie and Namrita are the best around (sometime adventure racers in addition to all the other stuff they do). I ghetto-checked to see if my bike fit OK:

1. forearm length from end of seat to handlebars (check)
    2. straddled bike, pulled up a couple of inches before frame hit crotch (check)
    3. Did an adventure race where we biked for 24 hours straight (check..........and ouch)

Maybe not as accurate, but somehow it all worked.

Thanks
    Karin, you have it right I think! I have done so many bike fits, why I don't know, no one pressured me for sure. I thought Eddie's was the best, most scientific. But he is very INTO racer fit, racer position, and my riding style is not XC race --- that is so very intense.

I liked the way he positioned your cleats, he has many tricks of the trade I'd never heard of and probably has more now, as this was quite a few years back.

So while I think fit is extremely important, comfort and function, ride-ability are more so.

I ride at Lock 4, Montgomery Bell and Raccoon Mountain.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by runslikenew View Post

where would you find that analysis?
    thanks for the info!
    When my husband went to Bike Pedlar in Brentwood, TN they did a laser measurement and it went through a computer system. I would call there and see if that is what you are looking for.

currently- Wichita, KS formerly- Columbia, TN and Memphis
    Thanks
    you guys should definitely try a Specialized dealer that does their full 3D Body Geometry FIT. it's amazing all the science and research that has been put in to it, I can say first hand, I've been fit to all the road bikes I've ever ridden, that after having a full BG FIT I rode way better, faster, and in greater comfort with no extra effort on my part! it's just a bonus, I saw immediate results the next time I rode. and I didn't have knee or back pain that I usually get. my shoulders were relaxed and I didn't have any hand problems either. it's the only bike fit I'll ever use, or have done on me. Now I don't know how I ever rode so many miles on my bike before! the same measurements, info and technology can be transferred or done on your mountain bike. I've transferred them to my mountain bike and I feel great! feel free to PM me if you guys have any questions.
    Chesca

NEW 2011 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon EVO R
    2007 Specialized W's Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport (rode coast to coast)
    Unos (aka fixed gear)
    new road bike on the horizon?

Thanks
    We can do mountain, road and tri fits. Here is some more info on what we do.
    http://harpethbikes.com/fitting/

Fred

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to soul69 for this useful post:

Thanks

Size Matters

My wife always said size doesn't matter. She said it's quality not quantity until she started dating other guys. Now she won't even consider dating a guy a second time if he had a small dick. She doesn't like really huge dicks but I am average. around 6" She seems to like them 7 to 8 inches. She says it hits the right spot.

Thanks

Now, admittedly I am not an expert on CC. However from my limited experience.....
    Length of the barrel almost doesnt matter. 4", 5", 3" - good holster will take care of it.
    What matters is size of grip and weight. But weight can be mitigated with really good holster and really good belt. Size of the grip - cant. Size of the grip is the same in this particular case, difference in weight is probably negligible.

So, IMHO - 4" 1911 5" 1911 - all the same when it comes to CC.

Thread Information