Thread: Snake Creek Gap TT online Registration

Thanks

Snake Creek Gap TT online Registration

Get Ready for the Snake...here is the link.. http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...e-8aa5122b7752

2. The following 11 users say "Thank You" to THill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts
    Looks like I have been talked into this one....

4. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Motobacon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Think they would let me buy the souvenir headset cap without actually doing the race?
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

6. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twolfcon View Post
    Think they would let me buy the souvenir headset cap without actually doing the race?
    Talk to Cooper, I think he can hook you up with myriad colors.

8. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I've been looking forward to this for 8 months now. I have convinced Becky to preride the 17 with me in Dec. I have no doubt she will crush it during the series. She will be rocking her SS Misfit. I, on the other hand, will try and take the suffering to a whole nutha level.
    mid pack fodder at best

Thanks
    Boy, guess I'm going to have to end that summer/fall taper & start riding again.. can't wait for the "fun"!

Rick
    "I'm so poor, I can't even pay attention!" - unnamed NASCAR fan in Martinsville, VA

11. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to ScraffyZ for this useful post:

Thanks
    I've been talked into this as well. Can't decide if pre-riding is the right way to go, I've heard that it just increases the fear factor as you really shouldn't go into this knowing what the last 5 miles are like :-).

I expect it will be the longest 3 rides on the mtb I've done so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If you've never ridden it before, it MAY be the toughest 34 miles you've ever seen. However the feeling of flying down the mountain at 40mph on the paved road knowing that the hardest ride of your life is now behind you is almost indescribable.

If you're already in great shape the first or second race may not hurt you, but you can almost bank on a good bonk at least one of the three races. The type of bonk that will mak you question your sanity and make you wonder why on earth anybody would willingly subject themselves to such a miserable experience. Is great! I promise.

14. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think I'm going to be wishing for a lower gear ratio than my feet can provide by the end of it.

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Nathan for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    If you've never ridden it before, it MAY be the toughest 34 miles you've ever seen. However the feeling of flying down the mountain at 40mph on the paved road knowing that the hardest ride of your life is now behind you is almost indescribable.

If you're already in great shape the first or second race may not hurt you, but you can almost bank on a good bonk at least one of the three races. The type of bonk that will mak you question your sanity and make you wonder why on earth anybody would willingly subject themselves to such a miserable experience. Is great! I promise.

The type of bonk that will make you pray for the vultures to take you and eat you.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twolfcon View Post
    Yes you can buy a head set cap and not race, but you know you want to do it......Plus you get to see me at the mid way sag or the 17 start....

20. The following user says "Thank You" to THill for this useful post:

Finally back on the east coast in Raleigh, NC; but I claim, and I'm always throwing down in Cleveland,TN.
    Thanks
    I'm signed up, you ladies better not back out! Should be a blast!
    Turner SixPack
    Yeti DJ
    Trek EX 9
    Fisher SuperFly SS

You don't have time to think on the trail. If you think, you're dead.

Thanks
    Stupid question - is the 34 event doing the 17 and turning around and riding back to the 17 start?
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bang-flash View Post
    Stupid question - is the 34 event doing the 17 and turning around and riding back to the 17 start?
    No, it actually starts 17 miles further up trail. I consider the first 17 to be the more fun and the last 17 to be the harder.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

24. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to scuba steve for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think I'm in. Trying to decide between the 17 and 34 right now. Not sure how bad I'm willing to hurt yet.

26. The following user says "Thank You" to captainchefdave for this useful post:

Thanks
    Do they have a cut off time if you do the 34? Like if you don't make it to the mid point in x-hrs they pull you.

The 34 is definitely the more challenging, just trying to gauge if its too much for me which would be my first "race" in a long time.

Oh, and is the pre-ride 50 miles?
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Do they have a cut off time if you do the 34? Like if you don't make it to the mid point in x-hrs they pull you.
    yes but it's a pretty conservative cut off time. I don't know exactly how long you have but like Scuba Steve said, the first half is fun. You still have some good climbing, but some fun flowing sections and some good downhill.

If you start the 17 you go uphill immediately and it's a hard, singletrack climb. Like real hard and long. The start of the 34 is a rolling fireroad, through a creek crossing and then up and up and up, but on a graded fireroad before the singletrack starts.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Does anyone have directions to the trail system from Chatt?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainchefdave View Post
    Only the event organizers and volunteers actually know how to get to the start locations, I think it is a ploy to make you think that there is no way back to your car other than ride the blasted trail.

Seriously, I think you can get onto the nwgasorba.org website and get directions to both starts, but remember you will need to have someone drive your car back unless you are going to do an out and back.

If you want to pre-ride it I would suggest going down on Dec 5th and letting them shuttle you, I did that last year and it worked out perfect.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

32. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to scuba steve for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainchefdave View Post
    This isn't directions, but after loading the attached, zipped .kml in Google Earth you should be able to figure out how to get there, I'd say.. good luck! I also 2nd Steven.. the pre-ride would be a good way to check it out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "I'm so poor, I can't even pay attention!" - unnamed NASCAR fan in Martinsville, VA

34. The following user says "Thank You" to ScraffyZ for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    http://www.nwgasorba.org/the_snake.html

Read the discription under course. For you first timers that are wondering wants it's like. I wish Thad (J5) would chim in. He discribes it pretty well.

I would suggest not doing the pre-ride if you plan to do all three races. Here is why. There is nothing wrong with the pre-ride. But come March. You will find it hard to get motivated for that last race. Especially if you suffered bad at one or more of them. 3 times in 3 months in plenty. 4 times in 4 months may leave you little drained. I know. I've done the pre-ride and all 3 races the last two years. But I'm a little nutts. I love to torcher myself.

If you do the pre-ride. It's a good idea to go with someone who knows their way. Cause the trail isn't marked. And you are totally on your own. In fact, for those reasons. The pre-ride can be harder than the race.

But if you are an experience endurance racing with a good base. You should have no problem. Good luck and I may see you at the pre-ride.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    For you first timers that are wondering wants it's like. I wish Thad (J5) would chim in. He discribes it pretty well.
    Around the pit fire the night before my first race there, J5 explained the trail to me like this: "Don't worry, its pretty much just one big climb with pine needles on it" He was right, there was a big climb with pine needles. However ....
    blue skies,

38. The following user says "Thank You" to BikeSwimmer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Oh, and is the pre-ride 50 miles?
    They have a 50 mile pre-ride option, but will also have 17 and 34 milers.
    Graham

'00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSwimmer View Post
    Around the pit fire the night before my first race there, J5 explained the trail to me like this: "Don't worry, its pretty much just one big climb with pine needles on it" He was right, there was a big climb with pine needles. However ....
    I think I got ol' PumpTrackJim with the "there's just one big climb covered by pine needles" trick too.

The draw of Snake for me is that it is the complete opposite of the typical TBRA/MiddleTn race environment.

* The course is challenging both physically and mentally.
    * It's point to point so you feel like you're going somewhere and not stuck in a hamster wheel.
    * It is a rugged back country trail with risks that you need to be prepared to handle. IE: thorns, sharp rocks, mud, potential to miss a turn, run out of water, food, energy, etc... Think of it as a Leadville Light for your average weekend warrior.
    * The people that put it on have become like family. Those of us that have camped the nights before each race come back to the "family reunion" of misfits. The camp fires, binge drinking, and after ride/race chilli and smack talking enhances the cost of entry and the overall experience of the race.
    * When I first discovered this race, I was in over my head, but absolutely loved it and questioned why I raced the normal tbra races all my other peers were so interested in. It took me 2 years to get more "friends" to join in the "fun". There were 50 racers my first year, now they are pushing 300+.
    * the bus ride to the start is as epic as the race itself.

It's hard. It hurts. But worth it in my opinion.

Then, when all is said and done and you crawl across that finish line beaming from the 2 mile 40+mph downhill thrilled with your accomplishment and wondering why the heck you paid for such torture, think of this: The first year the Snake was done, it was run backwards so it was mostly downhill and the toughest 5 miles were at the beginning.

41. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    http://www.nwgasorba.org/the_snake.html

Read the discription under course. For you first timers that are wondering wants it's like. I wish Thad (J5) would chim in. He discribes it pretty well.

I would suggest not doing the pre-ride if you plan to do all three races. Here is why. There is nothing wrong with the pre-ride. But come March. You will find it hard to get motivated for that last race. Especially if you suffered bad at one or more of them. 3 times in 3 months in plenty. 4 times in 4 months may leave you little drained. I know. I've done the pre-ride and all 3 races the last two years. But I'm a little nutts. I love to torcher myself.

If you do the pre-ride. It's a good idea to go with someone who knows their way. Cause the trail isn't marked. And you are totally on your own. In fact, for those reasons. The pre-ride can be harder than the race.

But if you are an experience endurance racing with a good base. You should have no problem. Good luck and I may see you at the pre-ride.
    I want to go to the pre ride, but we've had some "personell changes" at work and I'm not sure I'll get that day off. With that said, I may just go in blind so as not to be so nervous or apprehensive about it and just focus on finishing. My longest race/ride has been the Black Bear Rampage at Tanasi so I am working on getting my good base going here.

43. The following user says "Thank You" to captainchefdave for this useful post:

Thanks
    [url] It's a good idea to go with someone who knows their way. Cause the trail isn't marked.

If not for Jeff waiting on me last year at the pre-ride, i'd probably still be out there wandering... couple of turns are hard to pick out, especially with the leaf cover.

Rick

45. The following user says "Thank You" to ScraffyZ for this useful post:

Thanks
    Is there any support at all or are you YAOYO the whole time, water stop, etc.?

(YAOYO=You Are On Your Own, Old Church camp term)
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Is there any support at all or are you YAOYO the whole time, water stop, etc.?

(YAOYO=You Are On Your Own, Old Church camp term)
    There is SAG at the halfway point, but other than that, just some occasional support folks to point directions and maybe help with getting you out. There are also sweepers following behind to pick up any bones.

at least that's all the support I remember.
    Graham

'00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

48. The following user says "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Here's a video from EddieO on youtube with bits of the 17miler portions of Snake. You can see some of the rocky areas on the ridge, but not all of 'em.

50. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Against all reason, I too signed up. For January, I need to go and come back the same day. Anybody else? Carpool?
    Team Road Less Traveled
    Niner SIR9
    Ridley Orion Road bike
    Felt F1X cross rig

All trails in the Nashville area, LBL when I can make it
    Thanks
    I did all three of the 17s last year. Everything you hear is true. Just take the first one at a good, pre-ride, wait-and-see pace and you'll do fine. I made it through all three with no injuries and no broken equipment, except a ding on my wheelset. Ride to your skillset and don't be afraid to jump off and run the bike through sections. And yes, you will bonk. My second one was the worst of the three. I felt like doo-doo.

I'm thinking about the 34 this year. Not that I'm in shape.....but, it's the same interstate drive, entry fee, and all....
    Graphic designer, design educator, artist...dirtdog.

53. The following user says "Thank You" to bikerchickie for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just signed up! Hoping to make all three again this year. After all I have 3 bikes so I need three scg stem caps too.

Thanks
    I'm in. This will be my first race.
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

Thanks
    I'm in. This will be my first race.
    Awesome, good luck! It's going to be a great experience! (keep telling yourself that on some of those climbs! )
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    I'm in. Just registered. will not be able to do the first one, but will do the last two. Time to train in ernest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    I did not pre-register.

So, the fee is now $100 but, I don't get a swag bag?

Am I reading that correctly? Looks like I may skip this race after all.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast-L-E View Post
    I did not pre-register.

not sure. its still well worth it though.

60. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I did not pre-register.

Yes it's $100. And yes you still get a swag bag. They give away one(1) swag to everyone. If you race one or all three races. It contains a pint glass and world famous T-shift. And after the race they have free food and beer. Worth the $100. And put on by North West Ga SORBA. Didn't SORBA give you a free bike. Yes, I thought so. And I know you want to support SORBA. C ya in Feb Tim.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

62. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    Yes it's $100. And yes you still get a swag bag. They give away one(1) swag to everyone. If you race one or all three races. It contains a pint glass and world famous T-shift. And after the race they have free food and beer. Worth the $100. And put on by North West Ga SORBA. Didn't SORBA give you a free bike. Yes, I thought so. And I know you want to support SORBA. C ya in Feb Tim.
    Yes.....I think he should ride said "free bike" from Sorba for all 34 miles....just to show his support for those who have given so much to him..!!! Good luck in Feb. Timbo!
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

64. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Snake Creek is a great value for a great cause and run by a great group of people. In closing, it's Great!

Sign up and ride the new bike, or perhaps we can work a trade where-in I cover your cost of entry for the event and you give me the new bike? I'll even sweeten the pot and buy you free chili and beer after the last race in the series.

Seriously, you will love the event.

Grant

66. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    Thanks guys.

I shouldn't have procrastinated on the entry fee.

Not sure which bike I'll ride though. I was wanting to ride the new Misfit, but the Rig may be a better option, since it has a suspension fork .

I suppose either way I'll be suffering though.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

68. The following user says "Thank You" to Taco-Tim for this useful post:

Thanks
    I shouldn't have procrastinated on the entry fee.
    I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that by not doing the first race, I've saved more than the late entry bump up.. no gas, no hotel, no food. Didn't freeze my hiney off either.

As a pro procrastinator, I'm great at rationalizing away the downside to my slacking.. Of course, if i keep up this non-riding schedule, I'll save even more by skipping all three weekends. Just have to keep myself off the bike and i've saved more than my usa cycling & sorba/imba licenses cost.. keep that going all summer and I'll save a ton on entry fees and given some support to the two organizations..

You'll have fun Tim. It's quite the experience & builds character, for sure.

Rick

70. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to ScraffyZ for this useful post:

Thanks
    Not sure which bike I'll ride though. I was wanting to ride the new Misfit, but the Rig may be a better option, since it has a suspension fork .

I suppose either way I'll be suffering though.

A suspension fork really isn't needed for Snake. With all the climbing involved, I actually prefer rigid for the full ride. There are definite rough sections and rough downhills but what I gain on the climbs make up for the short downhills. When you're deep in the rough stuff at the end, a sus fork won't make it any more fun. haha

Though you could ride the GF Rig in Feb, then ride the Misfit in March and show everyone how much faster the Misfit is.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

72. The following user says "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    I agree with OG. This was my 7th snake race. First 3 on a 1x1 rigid next 3 on a Karate Monkey Rigid and this last one on the MootoX rigid. I love it. Some of the rougher downhills are harsh but it's fun. I must say that overall I'm sure I could knock off a few minutes and save some energy if I rode a sus fork, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Adam

74. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts
    I was out in January, but I am riding in Feb./March. My wife instructed me to suck it up and register. I told her that I was considering doing the 17, then she questioned my manliness so I am in for the 34 SS. Here goes nothing....

76. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Motobacon for this useful post:

Thread Information