Thread: Trail in Bellvue!

Thanks

Trail in Bellvue!

The address is 8001 Highway 70 South, right off the bvue, exit. The trailhead is located in the back parkinglot, near the picnic tables of a massive community church; which is very odd, i know. Not sure how i feel about that, however, any church that has a mountainbike trail is pretty sweet. If every church had their own mtb trail, there would be soooo many trails to choose from. There is a gate up front off 70, which is usually open, however sometimes it is closed. Once, when closed i parked off the road, and a fellow affiliated with the church saw me, punched in the code so as me a my lab could get to the trail (the gate opens automatically on exit). Another time, i attempted to ride it at night and the gate was open for some night event. However a old woman directing traffic nearly lost her mind when she found out what me and my friend were doing. Some mtbikers don't get the nightride deal, so i guess it must have be entirely perplexing to this older woman, who told us to leave.

Anyway heres a quick run down on the trail: Only about 3-4 miles. Two separate trails red and blue. Red is about 1.3, blue is about twice that. You can take red to blue or just one instead of the other. Both trails cross back and forth with a service rd, as you can see on the map. It is easy/moderate. good bit of leaves, but some of the singletrack is clear. Great scenery, some good cliff side views, as well as a section that runs parrallel with the little harpeth, not to mention a small pond on the red trail. Blue is a fun, flowing trail, with a decent downhill near the end just before you reach the river. Few small jumps also! All in all, its just **** convenient, pretty place, and a good ride and more than likely you'll want to do a couple loops. Hope you all can check it out.

http://hopepark.com/media/file/bcc-trails.pdf

Sean

2. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Specialized for this useful post:

::insert clever name for Nashville here::
    Thanks
    thanks for the heads up!!

just out of random curiosity... how did you find out about this?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    It's called Hope Park. It's a great 3 mile trail. I sometimes do my super secret ninja training there. Ride my CX bike from the house. Do a lap a two and then ride home. Some times out and back. If you haven't try it CW direction. Try it. The climbs are much harder.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 11-29-2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    Just fyi - the trail is technically private and ridden by permission only. It's been discussed several times on this board. Chattanooga Sorba used to have it listed on their site of TN trails and the church asked them to remove it.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

6. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graham722 View Post
    Just fyi - the trail is technically private and ridden by permission only. It's been discussed several times on this board. Chattanooga Sorba used to have it listed on their site of TN trails and the church asked them to remove it.
    Yes, i look at like this. The guy who built and maintains the trails did not build them for the mountain bike community. He built them so the members and invited guest of the church could enjoy them. I respect that.
    I was told I could ride them as long as the front gate was open. But when the gate is closed the church is closed for business. I would never ride around the gate to ride the trails. I believe this could be considered trespassing. I also believe the workers at the church are under the impression the people riding the trail are members or invited guest. So keep that in mind also.

I'm guessing this why the guy has not built more trail. Keeps the trail low profile. Most people would not drive to ride a 3 mile trail. And it's alot for one person to maintain. Cause the 3 miles he has is great. A lot like MB.

I only ride it cause it's about 8 miles from my house. Makes for a good workout when I ride form my house on my CX bike. Ride the trail and then ride home. I would never drive to ride my mountain bike there.

FYI- The guy's name is Sam that built the trails.I believe Scott McConnel (Bikeswimmer) knows him pretty well. I've only spoken to him though email.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 11-29-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    My sister and BIL live in Gainesville Florida, there is a church there that has a good 8-9 mile trail. Not real difficult but its close to their house, has some skills sections and is open to the public. My BIL was riding the trail one day and met up with another guy riding, turns out the other guy was the pastor of the church. Ended up they built the trail because they had some members who wanted a trail, and the church had land to use (a hot commidity in Gainesville, and not cheap). He said its ended up being a good thing for the church as some of the mtn bikers have started coming to worship.

Thanks
    Amen, praise the Lord!

SPOKE

11. The following user says "Thank You" to SPOKE for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    FYI- The guy's name is Sam that built the trails.I believe Scott McConnel (Bikeswimmer) knows him pretty well. I've only spoken to him though email.
    Actually the guy is Tim, which is me. My friend Brett and I built it along with some church volunteers. I spend lots of time out there trying to maintain it when I can, but I don't always have the time. I started a new piece of trail last fall, but had to quit because it got too muddy to get the truck out there this winter. Now it's a time issue.

I personally don't care who rides it, but then I don't own the land. I think the more the merrier.

I think the woman who took over operations now keeps a watchful eye on the property. When I got a new truck she certainly checked me out when I went to work on it.

Maybe it is for church attenders only so you should come to church once so you don't have to lie if anyone asks if you attend HopePark Church.

13. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to timbrux for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrux View Post
    Maybe it is for church attenders only so you should come to church once so you don't have to lie if anyone asks if you attend HopePark Church.
    I guess we could plan a Sunday ride where we attend the 11:30 church service first then after we ride the trail if anyone is interested. Maybe even grill some hotdogs in the shelter after.

Thanks
    yep thanks for this trail, very cool, im going to ride it tomorrow morning

Thanks
    Unfortunately the trail is closed indefinitely. We had MAJOR mud slides that took out several portions of the trail. There are trees down everywhere. We did get some trees cleared, but there's a ton of work to do to reroute the trail where it is gone. I haven't even seen the whole trail yet since we haven't been able to get through on a motorcycle or ATV and I haven't had time to bike it.

If anyone is interested in volunteering to work on the trail sometime, let me know because I believe there's way more work than I can do on my own.

Thanks

Trail is open again

I forgot to let people know the trail is open again. We had some major landslides but have worked around them.

18. The following 11 users say "Thank You" to timbrux for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey Tim my name is chris i rode the trail this afternoon and there was only two small trees down i cleared most of the branches my first run so it made for a good second run. Its a nice simple good leg burning trail i am gonna start riding it more being i live 5 min away lol. maybe we can get together and ride it and the sunday thing sounds good i got a few friends that would love to come out and ride then grill. just hit me up ill volunteer work on the trail! 615-440-0762

Thanks
    I haven't been out there for awhile since I sprained my ankle badly so I'm glad to hear there are no huge trees down. The previous storm created a huge amount of work for us that took many hours of chainsawing. We plan to get out there to mow and weed eat soon, maybe Saturday morning now that I'm able to walk a little better.

Thanks
    ok sweet someone has been riding it besides me cause when i rode the other day there was a trail through the grass. but im gonna go ride it tonight around 6:30 so ill keep you updated. thanks

Thanks

Gate at Hope Park

I've noticed that on my way to Monte Bell, there seems to be a gate that is sometimes shut leading into the parking lot off highway 70. Is there any schedule to when it is closed, so that I can be assured as to access after my drive out? Thanks again for this nice ride in the middle TN area.

Troy
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks
    Ya is there any days that you def. cant ride it?

Thanks
    They close the gate whenever the church isn't open. We've been thinking about building a trail that starts at the gate and have people just park off to the side, but we have a hard enough time keeping the current trail maintained after storms, floods, etc. You could just park and ride up the road, or park at the end of Hooten Howes road and ride a little paved service road up. People are always walking past the gates to walk around the property so you really don't have to worry about trespassing. Just leave things the way you found them or better.

By the way, we just knocked down all the weeds on all the trails Saturday. There is still one large tree blocking the exit to the Red trail that we hope to cut out of the way next Saturday.

25. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to timbrux for this useful post:

Thanks
    So today i rode the blue trail today....BEST TRAIL i have ever rode! Its alol rocky but very difficult i love the challenge two thumbs up man really!!!!

Thanks
    I just moved off of Hwy 100 not far from this trail...I may have to come check it out in the next day or so.
    '10 Trek 4300 Disc
    '08 Mirraco Fivestar Park

Thanks
    Thinking about stopping through today, any updates on the trail? Any maps?

Thread Information