Thread: P90X...Holy Crap!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts

P90X...Holy Crap!

I obtained a version of P90X and let me tell you it is no joke. I made it about 35 minutes and then I felt like I was going to barf! I hope I can stick with it....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Do it Andy! (Oops! Matthew. I'm on narcotics...legally.) You'll be all ripped and $#!&! I'd try it, but there's the nutritional part... I'll be danged if I'm givin' up my Krystals, jelly beans, and Yorks Patties!
    Last edited by homer; 01-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Gary

3. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Do it Andy!
    Huh?

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    My brother and his wife did P90X and didn't follow the nutrition plan. They still had good results. I will try it one of these days.
    Jeremie
    2006 Haro Sonix VL120

Thanks
    I have not done it before. But four of my friends have, and two of them said they threw up the first time from it being so intense. Sounds like you had similar results haha

8. The following user says "Thank You" to 00accord4cyl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Several people at work tried it. Most got injured, all quit. It's pretty tough. Disco dan did it for a few weeks and it translated to some decent cyling fitness for him. Landing him a mid pack or better finish in the race to the canal cat2 class.

10. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    The diet is the hardest part. They won't even let you drink beer on it! How am supposed to have a good workout with no beer?
    Josh G.

12. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to jayzeegee for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have the videos too, but I'm working to get in good enough shape to start them. The last thing I want to do is start too quickly and injure myself.

The diet is tough. For the first month, they ask that you only consume 20% of your total calories in carbs. In this day and age of processed foods it's really difficult.

I'm not doing the diet 100%, but I've begun to make adjustments in preparation there as well.

The only thing that works for me is to stop eating for pleasure and pretend I'm doing some sort of science experiment with my body. That way, I don't want to eat bad things so as not to "ruin" the experiment.
    2000 Klein Mantra Comp
    2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Thanks
    My girlfriend and I did it last year for 5 months or so, but did a modified version, as we didn't do the diet strictly, we followed their 'cardio plan' and we probably averaged 4 to 5 days per week instead of 6 or 7.

I was very happy with the results and think the workouts are great. With the modified version, I absolutely, positively did not get ripped, but was in better shape and developed better endurance. Of course, that was last Spring/Summer and I haven't been very motivated lately...ugh.

Anyway, the workouts are great and seem more male-oriented vs. typical videos. If you start with the cardio workout (45 min.), you should be able to avoid the puke factor for a few days, then can dive into the weights, etc. Note that the yoga will kick your butt more than you think (if you've never tried it).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Just wait til you do the yoga! You'll be crying like a schoolgirl. Another reason I'm not doing it. My wife has the whole package. I think she did it twice (two workouts) and left it in the player. My son-in-law-to-be is doing it and so far, no injuries. My 49 year old ex-college basketball jock, black-belt karate little brother started on it, and after a couple weeks killed his already worn-out knees. Has started back doing only the upper body stuff, partial diet. Have another friend (mpcog) that's ripped from it. He's done the diet too. It works if you can stick with/survive it. PM mpcog if you have ?'s.

Gary

16. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I actually just received it in the mail yesterday. I'll probably start Monday. I got in pretty good shape on my last trip to Iraq and plan on using this to get lean. I fully expect the diet to be the hardest part.
    Rick Dell
    Chumba XCL
    '06 Jeep Wrangler

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Thanks
    I didn't aquire the diet plan, so I am only doing the videos. However, instead of the cardio video I rode my spin bike. I am going to try to stick with it as long as I can. However, if it is nice out I will be moving the video to the next day so I can spend time on the bike.

Thanks
    Motobacon- I have the documentation in pdf form if you are interested.

I found the whole package on the interwebs the other night.
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

20. The following user says "Thank You" to bang-flash for this useful post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Motobacon View Post
    I obtained a version of P90X and let me tell you it is no joke. I made it about 35 minutes and then I felt like I was going to barf! I hope I can stick with it....
    Holy crap is right.I did it for about 2 months last summer and lost 12 pounds.The yoga is great,but now it is winter,no motivation and the twelve pounds are back.#@!& it!

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yobryan View Post
    I have the videos too, but I'm working to get in good enough shape to start them. The last thing I want to do is start too quickly and injure myself.
    Injure yourself doing P90X? I hope you aren't into mountain biking!

Thread Information