Thread: if a new Cycling Discounter Appeared on the web

Thanks

if a new Cycling Discounter Appeared on the web

If a new cycling Discounter Appeared on the Internet. What would you want it to carry ? What would make it a great place to shop ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeBookGuy View Post
    If a new cycling Discounter Appeared on the Internet. What would you want it to carry ? What would make it a great place to shop ?
    Okay, I have held off as long as I can. Yes, I am in retail and have been for 27 years, not bike related. When I see shops like Harpeth having a liquidation sale it makes me sick. When I buy something I want to see it, try it on, and ask questions if necessary. I know it's a person's right to spend their money anywhere they want. Most mail order to save money or not pay tax. That's your choice. I choose to do business with people who actually pay taxes locally and are there when I need them. Personally I wish internet sales were taxed. Our state is losing billions of dollars thru internet sales. I also like roads without potholes. Some of my tax dollars make this possible. That and a whole lot of other stuff. Yes, I know there is big time waste in government.

Personally I will only order something if I cannot find it locally. That means in the past I don't know how many years, I have ordered exactly 3 items and because I could not get them locally, period, and I tried. So I really am not interested at all. I am sure a lot on this board will be. So have at it and good luck with your endeavors.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.

3. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    i disagree we need deep discounters everwhere

Thanks
    Actually you are required to pay the "use" tax on items for which you purchase online and do not pay sales tax. Here is the form that you would use to remit payment to the TN Dept. of Revenue: http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/forms/sales/r0000501.pdf

6. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to JNLR for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JNLR View Post
    Actually you are required to pay the "use" tax on items for which you purchase online and do not pay sales tax. Here is the form that you would use to remit payment to the TN Dept. of Revenue: http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/forms/sales/r0000501.pdf
    Interesting. Not being at all sarcastic, but who actually does this? Raise hand please.

Also, how is something like this enforced?

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Personally any business that you start or anyone for that matter I hope does well..

I do order online, and I do buy locally I think they both have their advantages. I think the key no matter where you chose to set up shop is Customer Service... that is what makes or brakes a business...

Example a few weekends ago I was at a shop with my 18 month old and I had no intentions to buy anything just spending time, I looked over and my daughter had picked up a waterbottle and was chewing on the top... I made the comment to her that we just purchased a waterbottle... guy at shop whom I have never met says.. Hey she can have it .. no big deal...

I left the shop after spending over $100 bucks and I bought the bottle... but without that kind gesture I probably would have just walked out when I was done.. I mean I really do not need anymore bike stuff..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

9. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    I would assume that very few folks actually pay the use tax as it is very difficult for the state to enforce. I think the only people that would pay it would be those that stood a high likelihood of being audited of by the state, probably businesses that make large purchases.

I only pass it along so that everyone utilizing the internet to save a dollar know that they are still required to pay state taxes on their purchases. Someday the state is going to figure out how to enforce this law.

11. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to JNLR for this useful post:

Thanks
    I do my best to split things up too. If I can, I spend my money at the best local retailers that I can find.

But for bikes stuff, I can't get a lot of the stuff that I need or want locally. So, then I try to order through local shops, but lots of times they can't even get the items that I'm looking for.

On top of that, online deep discounters like Chainlove.com, etc., can offer deals that take work on their end. They have to go out and search for super low priced items that are usually at least one season old. So it's not like they are really competing with local shops on that level.

I do understand the frustration, and I will continue to give local shops my business first.

13. The following user says "Thank You" to TryFour for this useful post:

Thanks
    If this Deep Discount store had a TN footprint, all sales shipped to a TN address would have to be taxed.

Beyond that good luck. Seems as most shops have an internet presence already and I have seen many "discount" cycling web stores.
    Last edited by bang-flash; 02-03-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

Thanks

off topic

i mearly wanted to know what a discounter should carry and people like you would want to see there not if its taxable

Thanks
    i mearly wanted to know what a discounter should carry and people like you would want to see there not if its taxable
    funny how that works.

Mod
    Thanks
    MtnBike BookGuy.. you lost em right at the start.. Most people think there are enough discount places and most guys on here would all support a local shop first... the tax thing to these guys is a thread hijack..

You probably are not getting the answers you are looking for because of how hard it would be to open one up and make it successful. If you have looked around all parts suppliers will require that you have a brick and mortar store, and that will be nearly impossible to open and have work in this area (as we speak we have had two shops close up in the last 2 months, and both of these where well thought of good shops) add to that the funding needed to make the inventory purchase and it would be nearly impossible for this to happen (unless you just have tons O cash laying around... and you may).. Now most on line stores have multiple physical locations and that helps drive the inventory offering..

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but just trying to help you understand the lack of on site enthusiasm. Like I said above I support anyone trying to open their own business so do your homework, open up and good luck..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    MtnBike BookGuy.. you lost em right at the start.. Most people think there are enough discount places and most guys on here would all support a local shop first... the tax thing to these guys is a thread hijack..

You probably are not getting the answers you are looking for because of how hard it would be to open one up and make it successful. If you have looked around all parts suppliers will require that you have a brick and mortar store, and that will be nearly impossible to open and have work in this area (as we speak we have had two shops close up in the last 2 months, and both of these where well thought of good shops) add to that the funding needed to make the inventory purchase and it would be nearly impossible for this to happen (unless you just have tons O cash laying around... and you may).. Now most on line stores have multiple physical locations and that helps drive the inventory offering..

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but just trying to help you understand the lack of on site enthusiasm. Like I said above I support anyone trying to open their own business so do your homework, open up and good luck..

C
    Which shops have closed? I haven't heard of any???

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Mod
    Thanks
    Harpeth had a liquidation sale and may reopen somewhere but they told me their lease was up. And Allanti is closed not sure of future plans but it is more of a consolidation I guess as they have two other stores.

SORBAMIDTN

20. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Allanti is moving to Cool Springs. When I was in there in November they said they were moving, but would not tell me where exactly.

22. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    alanti is moving to cool springs i know where but have been sworn to secrecy and harpeth is out of business

Thanks
    alanti is moving to cool springs i know where but have been sworn to secrecy and harpeth is out of business
    Harpeth Bicycles is moving to a new location. We will announce where it is soon.

25. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to soul69 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by soul69 View Post
    Harpeth Bicycles is moving to a new location. We will announce where it is soon.
    Why does the sign on the door say "Closed. Thanks for your support"? Looked pretty definite to me, but you'd know better than I would.

Also, Franklin Bicycles is in bankruptcy and presumably closing.

Quite a vaccum in Franklin right now.

I know of a great spot for a shop if anyone is serious about filling the void.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    There may be a void in Franklin that no one wants to fill. If you read this board and even thought about opening a shop, you would see how much support you might get. I would think, not much, from reading most of the posts about getting new versus used stuff. How many times when someone asks about a bike or gear does anyone mention a local shop. Every time someone does, there is another post about an online discounter. Amazing and yet not really amazing at all.

Like I said, it is your money to spend but if you do not support local business in any endeavor eventually this is the result. It's tough and I know because I have been in specialty running retail for 27 years. But when you look at any local race sponsors, in any city or state, just see how many are online discounters. ZERO

Think about that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Not really that big of a secret. But it looks like Mark Dement and MOAB will be opening a new bike shop At Del Rio Pk and Old Hillsboro Rd. Well that's the plans anyway. We'll see if it happens or not. I'm hoping so. Not sure when it will be open. Details are still being worked out. Rick Harmon will be working there. He's already working at MOAB in Murfreesboro.

I've heard where Harpeth Bike is moving. But I'll leave it up to them to announce that.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

29. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think MOAB is a perfect expample of a local shop being successful. They provide great service. There is no doubt you can get things cheaper online but as Robert said above who is giving back. It's not the online merchants.

I live in Fayetteville and work in Huntsville, AL so I mainly use shops in Huntsville for convenience. The service here is hit and miss. I try to use all 4 shops because I feel they all give back to cycing. BUT sometimes I walk out the door and wonder why they didn't give me a kiss because I feel like I just got totally SCREWED.

31. The following user says "Thank You" to steves for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was at Bike Peddler on West End the other night and was talking to Adam. He told me that they have not found a location in Cool Springs yet and if they do not find one soon, before the biking season starts, they will not be moving until after the season winds down.

Thanks
    While I no longer live in the Nashville area, I am reading a common theme her: Customer Service.

I'm a chef and I have eaten at restaurants all over the country. Some nice, some not. But if one thing remains the true its the service I get that will bring me back, not the prices. I've had great meals but had rough service, so I'll never go back. But I've had okay meals but great service and I more often then not have given it another try. Do you see my analogy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Okay, I have held off as long as I can. Yes, I am in retail and have been for 27 years, not bike related. When I see shops like Harpeth having a liquidation sale it makes me sick. When I buy something I want to see it, try it on, and ask questions if necessary. I know it's a person's right to spend their money anywhere they want. Most mail order to save money or not pay tax. That's your choice. I choose to do business with people who actually pay taxes locally and are there when I need them. Personally I wish internet sales were taxed. Our state is losing billions of dollars thru internet sales. I also like roads without potholes. Some of my tax dollars make this possible. That and a whole lot of other stuff. Yes, I know there is big time waste in government.

Personally I will only order something if I cannot find it locally. That means in the past I don't know how many years, I have ordered exactly 3 items and because I could not get them locally, period, and I tried. So I really am not interested at all. I am sure a lot on this board will be. So have at it and good luck with your endeavors.
    I prefer to walk into my local shop and purchase the items I need. However, I will NEVER order something from a shop if they don't have it in stock. NEVER EVER. That would be rewarding bad businesses with my hard earned dollars that simply don't deserve them.

Prefect example. I wanted to replace my standard four bolt middle ring, before I went on vacation. I went to or called ALL of the local bike shops (in Chattanooga and Cleveland) and not one of them had one in stock! I proceeded to go on vacation and contacted numerous local bike shops along the way before finally the 13th bike shop had it in stock.

A middle chain ring is not an insanely expensive or unique item. The MSRP was $8. It is an item that a shop could expect to sell several times a year, assuming they had it in stock. Yet 12 of the 13 shops I went to or called didn't have it when I needed it.

About two years ago I was in Nashville, as I often am, and I snapped off my SRAM X9 derailleur. I called ALL of the Nashville shops, including Sun & Ski and REI and no one had a SRAM X9 derailleur in stock. Again, this is not an insanely expensive item. It is an item the average shop should expect to sell several times a year, assuming they have it in stock when it is needed. Ultimately I had to settle for the only SRAM derailleur that was available in any of the shops at the time, an X7. Out of all the shops in Nashville only one shop had a SRAM derailleur and it was an X7! WTF.

I don't know about the specifics of your shop but the reason a lot of people shop on line is they cannot simply walk into a local shop and walk out with the item in their hands. Instead they are expected to order it from the shop and wait three to five days. If I wanted to wait three to five days I can order it on line probably cheaper than I can find it locally, even with the extra expense of shipping.

Local bike shops who refuse to stock common items components simply because they don't want to tie up some of their operating funds in stock are not doing themselves any favors. They, instead are losing business.

I NEVER order from a local bike shop if they don't have the product I need on hand. Even if the shop has one or more of the items I planned to purchase in stock, if I have to order one thing on line I simply order them all on line. So a $8 middle chain ring could cost a shop the sale of a saddle, bar tape, etc....

Instead I head home, order it on line and its delivered to my door in that same 3 to 5 business day time frame.
    TN MTB Alliance News

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts

Wow...

Thanks for your support....I have been involved in the bicycle industry for the most of the past 21 years. I have put thousands of hours into local trails, in different parts of the southeast. Most of the trails we deal with now are underwritten by local business rather than the internet. It's tough to be successful even with a great location, strong product lines and keeping your number one product as "selling service".
    I shop for deals but there is absolutely no substitute for good advice, the right guy to fix your wheels and the folks that are willing to talk you out of what you don't need, rather than just closing a sale.

It may not matter to all of you, but we are working on a campaign to gain more support from local bike shops in our region. Like our trail heads they see so many of our new riders that can often be missed if they are not in our immediate circles, riding groups or events. We see an opportunity to not only gain membership into our mountain bike community, but to educate and perhaps gain another trail steward.

I find myself paying a few dollars more at times just to make sure that my favorite, not always convenient, local hardware store or bakery is going to be there for me next time.
    Lord knows our government does not want a small business to be successful with so many challenges levied. An investor is better off using their half million in pork futures than starting a business and employing a few folks. I digress…..I personally would encourage you folks at least spread it around a bit. You may find a deal and a friend down at the corner.

Thanks Robert!!!

36. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks

Harpeth Bicycles new location

1000 Meridian Blvd, Franklin

Just off of Carothers.

Saw it in the new business license section of Nashville Biz Journal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schaarschmidt View Post
    I prefer to walk into my local shop and purchase the items I need. However, I will NEVER order something from a shop if they don't have it in stock. NEVER EVER. That would be rewarding bad businesses with my hard earned dollars that simply don't deserve them.

Instead I head home, order it on line and its delivered to my door in that same 3 to 5 business day time frame.
    Jeffrey,

While I feel your pain as relates to the waiting, the fact is that carrying any more inventory than is absolutely necessary is not a good idea. Even if you can afford to place a large amount of your operating capital in parts, the reality is that this would be a bad idea at best. Essentially that move is like the retailer placing their money in a bank, but not an account that bears interest, an account that loses money. What happens if the items don't move, or if the newest and latest version of the part hits the market while you sit on a dozen of the "old" version? You lose on those parts. Beyond that, the space required to stock this stuff costs money. This space is much better served as room for retail displays, etc.

Finally, folks like Hawley and QBP all make weekly or even twice weekly shipments to these shops. I'd hazard that if you ordered from an LBS on a Monday, you would likely see the part the same week. Beyond that, folks like QBP offer retailers pretty good payment terms. This low cost financing is very valuable to a small business.

Again, I understand your frustration, but the business reality dictates that retailers make hard decisions about what to stock. In the case of bike shops, distributors offer a service that fills the gaps very effectively. By the way, the same online retailer that you mention, often is not stocking those parts. In some cases they have arrangements with the distributors to offer direct shipments to buyers, or simply get rush orders to fulfill purchases. No different than the LBS, they just don't tell you.

Grant

39. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GNC View Post
    Jeffrey,

While I feel your pain as relates to the waiting, the fact is that carrying any more inventory than is absolutely necessary is not a good idea.

Grant
    You either missed or ignored my while point, so I have quoted it from my first post:

"Local bike shops who refuse to stock common items components simply because they don't want to tie up some of their operating funds in stock are not doing themselves any favors. They, instead are losing business."

I never suggested that bike store stock every single item or that they stock hugely expensive items that they might never sell. I was specifically referring to "common items [and] components".

I specifically mentioned two items that any bike shop should be able to sell several times a year, a standard 4 bolt middle ring and a SHARM X9 derailleur.

The fact is the market is competitive enough that shops need to step up or risk losing their sale to another better stocked shop or online retailers. I am willing to pay slightly more for an item if I can walk into a shop and walk out with the common product. That is where the customer service comes in. If you have what this customer needs then I will purchase it from you, if you don't than I will order it online along with all the other items I intended to purchase at your shop that day.

As a person who owns my own business, I realized early on that there are simply costs of doing business that cannot be overlooked. For example, I NEED a receptionist/secretary. One of her most important functions is to answer my phone when I am not there. If someone calls my office and gets an answering machine, they simply call someone else. I just lost business.

How do I know this? The first month that I hired a secretary I doubled my income. I pay my receptionist/secretary a pretty good chunk of change (the equivalent to tying up money in stock) when its all added up at the end of the year. But, trying to slide by actually hurt my success.

And when you fail to keep common items in stock, people like myself will drive to the next shop or simply order it online and you have hurt your success.

It seems the failure to stock common items, that could be sold several times a year, is the standard operating model for most bikes shops. At one time it might have been acceptable, when there was no alternative in the form of online sales. However, times have changed and local shops needs to keep up with the time. Attempting to make others feel guilty because they order their products online when shops refuse to stock common components is a tactic that doesn't work with me, and apparently others given the number of shops that have closed and/or are struggling.
    TN MTB Alliance News

41. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to schaarschmidt for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Grant & Jeffrey, I gave you both a thanks because all the points you bring up are valid... which still leaves us at who do you do business with?
    Jeffrey, as for the items you think should be common, if you mention it to them, they will more than likely stock them if you tell them.

I think the obvious is if you want service.. your LBS.
    If you want a cheap part... online

I have advocated Primal Wear to people on the forum to find cheaper kits to buy, & a place to buy GPS's, but have never said anything about buying bike parts or bikes...mainly because I don't know crap about bike parts or bikes. I just ask questions about bikes & parts & buy it at my LBS & ride it like most people on here ( my goal is just to stay on the one I chose).

IMO as much as I love the Internet, I don't want to live in a world it has taken over.
    I love to see the mom & pop shops when I go down a street.
    Wal Marts & ... well I'm digressing away from the Internet thing, but you see where I'm going.
    The world is progressing faster & farther than I personally want.

I buy a few things from online, but it's for small things my LBS would not carry & I understand why... you die if you do.

This will be an ongoing saga, but the bottom line in my humble opinion is... buy local if you can.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

43. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I buy so much stuff that there's plenty to go around. My favorite lbs gets the lions share of my business and I don't feel guilty when I bring my bike in with a part attached that I didn't get from them. Sometimes i'll shop hop to find a specific part that I need, which I rather enjoy, like my wife in a mall only there's no mall and i have to drive a lot. Sometime when I go to a shop I'll just buy something that i may not need, ie tubes or co2's ect, just cuz I'm there and hate leaving empty handed. But, if there's something that I NEED and I happen to see it 50-60% off online, I can't not buy it online if i'll save a hundred or so. Major components that need fixing or where a warranty is important I buy at a shop. I don't walk into a shop with brakes that I bought online and expect them to bleed them for me. I did that a lot back in the day when I first started riding and didn't really think about it.

Bottom line I like the local shops and the people. I prefer the face to face interaction and even shooting the proverbial doo doo for a while if they're not busy. When I go to LBL part of the trip is hanging around the shop chatting, sometimes I'll help unload the truck and even go pick up pizza. When I walk into the Bicycle Center I walk straight to the back and plop down on the couch in the shop. If they're not busy I might even get a free beer for my efforts. Can't get that online.

45. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schaarschmidt View Post
    You either missed or ignored my while point, so I have quoted it from my first post:

"Local bike shops who refuse to stock common items components simply because they don't want to tie up some of their operating funds in stock are not doing themselves any favors. They, instead are losing business."

I never suggested that bike store stock every single item or that they stock hugely expensive items that they might never sell. I was specifically referring to "common items [and] components".

I specifically mentioned two items that any bike shop should be able to sell several times a year, a standard 4 bolt middle ring and a SHARM X9 derailleur.

The fact is the market is competitive enough that shops need to step up or risk losing their sale to another better stocked shop or online retailers. I am willing to pay slightly more for an item if I can walk into a shop and walk out with the common product. That is where the customer service comes in. If you have what this customer needs then I will purchase it from you, if you don't than I will order it online along with all the other items I intended to purchase at your shop that day.

As a person who owns my own business, I realized early on that there are simply costs of doing business that cannot be overlooked. For example, I NEED a receptionist/secretary. One of her most important functions is to answer my phone when I am not there. If someone calls my office and gets an answering machine, they simply call someone else. I just lost business.

How do I know this? The first month that I hired a secretary I doubled my income. I pay my receptionist/secretary a pretty good chunk of change (the equivalent to tying up money in stock) when its all added up at the end of the year. But, trying to slide by actually hurt my success.

And when you fail to keep common items in stock, people like myself will drive to the next shop or simply order it online and you have hurt your success.

It seems the failure to stock common items, that could be sold several times a year, is the standard operating model for most bikes shops. At one time it might have been acceptable, when there was no alternative in the form of online sales. However, times have changed and local shops needs to keep up with the time. Attempting to make others feel guilty because they order their products online when shops refuse to stock common components is a tactic that doesn't work with me, and apparently others given the number of shops that have closed and/or are struggling.
    Jeffrey,

I don't think I missed your point. In fact I think you make some great points. I do think that perhaps we're talking shades of gray here. I am merely pointing out (what you already know as a business owner) that it is a balancing act between how a business uses their space and resources. What may be common to you, is perhaps not all that common to the majority of bike shop clients. I'm not talking about the folks that use this message board...I'm referring to the folks that buy the vast majority of bikes and service at your LBS. These are the people purchasing the entry to mid level Trek's and Fishers. These are the folks that are unlikely to perform much if any maintenance on their own equipment. These are the folks that make up over 75% of a bike shops business. While a derailler or a middle ring may be a "common" part to us, I'm not convinced that it is for the vast majority of LBS clients.

The fact that you called or visited every shop in your area tells me that you are not the average bike shop customer. You, like myself and many on this board are the exception. We enjoy both the wrenching and delving into the details. We'll spend hours discussing disc brakes, or shocks, or homemade tubeless tire concoctions.

I am neck deep in a business myself, and I struggle with resource allocation every day, 7 days a week...just ask my wife. Understanding where and how to deploy those resources in a fashion that best satisfies the majority of your customers is the challenge. I think that is where our opinions differ.

As far as guilt, I can't help with that. I too purchase products online and for many things it is my preferred source. That said, I prefer to buy from people that I like. I also like to support local businesses where it makes sense and is practical.

Like you I don't have any interest in supporting a business that is not meeting my needs both physical and emotional. The customer service must be good to great, and the delivery of products must be solid. I'll sacrifice a little of the latter if the the customer service is great. I'll go to another vendor if the retailer fails either or both of these tests.

Grant

47. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    Haha, you had no idea what you were getting into did ya??

If someone were to start another online bike shop, I would like to see a wide variety of parts and equipment, covering all realms of cycling.

Thanks

uhhh... I would want it to have the same stuff all the other online discounters have... but cheaper.

Thanks

wow what an argument ive started

its nice to know what ive started and yes another dreaded online discounter is coming to town the difference is we will have free shipping to nashville customers and will sponser local riders road mtn and bmx along with warehouse sales every quarter

51. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to MtnBikeBookGuy for this useful post:

Thanks
    International shipping that doesn't feel so much like a night in prison.
    1997 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo Ekoo(stuck in the U.S.A.)
    Possible 2009 Kona build coming...

53. The following user says "Thank You" to S.O.T.I. for this useful post:

Thanks

ok

we use fedex for all intl packages

Thanks
    so do you have a link?
    1997 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo Ekoo(stuck in the U.S.A.)
    Possible 2009 Kona build coming...

Thanks
    not at this time we are not open for business as of yet we plan a grand opening in approx 35 days website is a work in progress

Thanks
    if we offered all mountain bike forum members a discount for using us for cool stuff to buy what would be a realistic discount and would local people actually use the discount

Thanks
    Is that a statement or a question?
    Eddie C

Slow Moving Hazard

Thanks
    its a question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts

Thumbs up

This has been an interesting read...

Just wanted to pass along this:

While it's good to have everything "In Stock," it's also a catch twenty-two. Being that most accounts are credit card, net30 or at best net90, you can't/shouldn't bring in more product than you can turn out in 30/90 days.

Furthermore, just because it's a 32 tooth chain ring, doesn't mean it fits all cranks either. We have taken great strives to bring in service products that address such fitment issues(as well as keeping a Sram X.9 Reear Mech in stock!) We even have chain rings that fit race face cranks(which a Shimano nor Truvativ ring will fit) This is the difference between a shop full of kids and a shop full of professionals. Knowing the history of a bunch of different product and building a history with service products. And that's just one example of what looks like a duck might sound like "Cluck!"

I respect all business' online and in our Mid-TN area - I've even recommended a few online and local shops for the customer's needs. To me, that's good business! Never leave a customer that walks into your store leaving with no options.

I can tell you too, it's not all road bikes and full suspension MTBs either. Most of our money comes from the first rack when you walk in the door - Fitness Hybrids and 4300s. It's not because it's all we want to sell, it's because that's what 60% of the customers that call or come in are looking for. And that builds the relationship. It's a shop's ability to take care of the customer's end no matter where they start on the rack of bikes - High-end or low-end. From that first purchase and then the service afterward(and we stress servicing strongly when someone buys a bike) the customer will decide if they will continue to buy/service with you! From that purchase, and I can't tell you how many this year - it's a bunch, they will grow with the sport and bring their business back to you.

Ultimately, it's the customer's choice to buy where they choose. As a LBS/Legit Retailer, we have to give the customer every reason to continue to do business with us. If someone like Jeff called for a 32tooth chain ring and we stated we had it and he drove all the way from 'nooga and that 32 tooth Shimano ring didn't fit his cranks, I would not expect him back. It's the LBS' business to know and ask the specifics. Some customer's get a little uptight at first when they ask for something and we ask questions back - It's because Duck might just go Cluck instead!

I'm not saying I'm/we're perfect, but we take pride in being family owned and operated for over twenty years and never being bought or sold or whatever... Find me an online retailer that can state that?

On a final note, it does bother me about the cross-hairs on cool spring and all the bike shop action fixin' to happen down there - talk about saturating a market! Our customers in the bowling Green area are SO STARVING for a legit LBS in that area it's a crying shame. If someone wanted to absolutely kill it, Bowling Green would provide a meadow and untouched field in which to graze for years!!!

Not a rant, just my perspective - and those of you that know me know this is legit business!

Good thread though!

*all characters mentioned above are made up and in no way meant to represent any one person or entit
    y.
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

61. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to BigRingTravis for this useful post:

Thanks
    ^^i personally don't see the market in the Cool Springs area. Yeah there is money out there, but I would not think it would be a great environment for a bike friendly shop. The area is so congested it just seems like the bike store would turn more into just a retail shop, than a local bike shop there for the riders. I don't see why it would be a big deal if the store does not stock tons of items. With shipping being so fast now, who can not wait a few days to get a product? Esp if it is helping out a local store

As for discounts, I would say it would depend a lot on the product you are selling. You could afford to offer high discounts on products like water bottles since their profit margin is so high, but I don't think you could do big discounts on full bikes or high end parts. Most bike shops make little money on the actual bikes, which is one reason you only see discounts when new models are coming out since they are trying to clear house.
    Last edited by 00accord4cyl; 02-28-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    well water bottles is the one thing we dont sell, nor 32 teeth chain ring , we are selling clothing and assy's for the time being but we will have about 50 different cycling companies and related goods

64. The following user says "Thank You" to MtnBikeBookGuy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts
    well water bottles is the one thing we dont sell, nor 32 teeth chain ring , we are selling clothing and assy's for the time being but we will have about 50 different cycling companies and related goods
    I saw D!ck's or Academy had cannari shorts for $19.99 - That's pretty hard to compete with. For us, It' hard having those guys right down the road selling Camelbaks at what we buy them for...

A clothing discounter could be a worthwhile venture. ESPECIALLY, and hear me out 'cause it just doesn't exist, especially in the big guy sizes, 2XL 3XL.

Good luck Bro!
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

Thanks
    + 1 for big guy sizes

Thanks
    well we definatly do have big and tall mens clothing for cycling but one word of advise tight clothhing on a big guy is not something i recommend i would say baggy cycling shorts with liners is the way to go and we will have them

Thread Information